Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is WoW so successful

12346»

Comments

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

It is so successfull because jumping in that game is so damn fun!

5 STEPS TO ACCEPTING WOW

1 DENIAL - man, when this game get's out it's gona crash and burn, EQ2 is gona rule

2 ANGER - wtf?!, what's going on= why are you playing this, why is anyone playing this?? you fucking noob!! idiot, stupid, child!!  GO BACK TO WOW!!!!

3 BARGAINING - ok, it's here, but it's nothing special, it's just a clone, only kids play it, it's easy, it's dumbed down, it had big budget, it had existing fanbase, people play it because they stoopid, don't know about any other MMO, it's ugly and runs, it's decent, but it has nothing special, it's OK, but my MMO is much better....

4 DEPRESSION - I'm leaving MMOs alltogether, this is my last post and I won't be back until something new and realy deep and good comes along

5 ACCEPTANCE -

MMORPG.com as a comunity seems to be going trough this as we speak. We are svery much at step 3 with few late bloomers still on step 2 and even fewer on step 4, it's only question of time before we get to step 5. I predict that will happem the minute some new MMO replaces WoW as THE MMO.

• NazarosNazaros Member Posts: 215

Originally posted by SonofSeth

It is so successfull because jumping in that game is so damn fun!

5 STEPS TO ACCEPTING WOW
    1 DENIAL - man, when this game get's out it's gona crash and burn, EQ2 is gona rule
    2 ANGER - wtf?!, what's going on= why are you playing this, why is anyone playing this?? you fucking noob!! idiot, stupid, child!!  GO BACK TO WOW!!!!
    3 BARGAINING - ok, it's here, but it's nothing special, it's just a clone, only kids play it, it's easy, it's dumbed down, it had big budget, it had existing fanbase, people play it because they stoopid, don't know about any other MMO, it's ugly and runs, it's decent, but it has nothing special, it's OK, but my MMO is much better....
    4 DEPRESSION - I'm leaving MMOs alltogether, this is my last post and I won't be back until something new and realy deep and good comes along
    5 ACCEPTANCE -

MMORPG.com as a comunity seems to be going trough this as we speak. We are svery much at step 3 with few late bloomers still on step 2 and even fewer on step 4, it's only question of time before we get to step 5. I predict that will happem the minute some new MMO replaces WoW as THE MMO.

Reverse that order and it would make more sense.

I was hyped for WoW at release, then became bored and jaded about it after 6 months. Now i wouldn't touch this game with a 100 feet poles if it existed, and no matter how crappy other MMO gets, WoW sets the bar for boring, brain dead and shallow game play in the whole genre for a decade.

I'm now convinced that i would have more fun creating and playing a web Mud on the corner of my table. Graphics would stink but at least, my gameplay would be compelling.

Oh and for the sake of the argument: The ONLY reason why WoW has so many people playing it, is because it has BLIZZARD tagged on the box. It is a "brand & company names success, based on PASS success". Not a "World of Warcraft" success. If everybody could get this through their heads, the world would be a better place to live. Take that WoW game and put some random company names on it and it would had get about the same population that your average MMO. Because it 'is' a average MMO. But games works with hype and buzz, and Blizzard certainly know how to create this. So what we're facing here is a "commerical" success, but it's not any better then all the crappy movies with poor scenarios and big "bling blang" sparky effects to get the dumb masses attention.

And i don't care if you're 20 or 70 years old: If you manage to enjoy this game for more then a few months, you are the bottom of what humanity has to offer as you embrace mediocrity as long as it comes in a nice gift box with ribbons.

What deserves to be done, deserves to be "well" done...

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Originally posted by Nazaros
    Oh and for the sake of the argument: The ONLY reason why WoW has so many people playing it, is because it has BLIZZARD tagged on the box. It is a "brand & company names success, based on PASS success". Not a "World of Warcraft" success. If everybody could get this through their heads, the world would be a better place to live. Take that WoW game and put some random company names on it and it would had get about the same population that your average MMO. Because it 'is' a average MMO. But games works with hype and buzz, and Blizzard certainly know how to create this. So what we're facing here is a "commerical" success, but it's not any better then all the crappy movies with poor scenarios and big "bling blang" sparky effects to get the dumb masses attention.And i don't care if you're 20 or 70 years old: If you manage to enjoy this game for more then a few months, you are the bottom of what humanity has to offer as you embrace mediocrity as long as it comes in a nice gift box with ribbons.

On your first point, which has been discussed at length through this thread and many others, it just doesn't hold up. I for one and quite a few people i know that play the game had never played the other warcraft games before WoW and ony got into the game on it's own merits. That is not to say that a lot of people didn't play it because of the Blizzard name, but that alone would not account for the runaway success of this game because if you run along those lines Earth & Beyond would still be running with 20 million subs (EA & Westwood behind that one) and Sims online would pulling them in by the millions too.

As for your last statement, well all i can say is you must be a hoot at parties and hell to buy for at Christmas. Just because people enjoy something you don't does not make their choice any less valid than yours and to call them the "bottom of what humanity has to offer" is just childish in the extreme!

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• MalvirisMalviris Member Posts: 3

Hmm well i kinda agree with you but all i have to say to that game is ..........................

The gms in that game suck ass!!!!

• SharajatSharajat Member Posts: 926

Originally posted by Binko

I do not play it anymore. But I might come back again. Like I do with other games. Here is why I think it's so successful.

Warcraft strategy games have a lot of fans around the world.
    It has humor that others don't.
    Don't need a super computer to play.
    It's easy to play.
    A lot of quests.
    A lot of loot.
    Open world and not instances.
    Great population.
    Fun PvP.
    Nice rewards.
    Not many rules to follow. Must be like this and that. If they wanna add something they can and it makes people happy.
    It's all over the world, TV, Papers, Internet.
    If you get tired of killing same old monster, then you can move to other place and it's new for you but same lvl. In other words not forced to kill same thing. It's all up to you.
    Rank system.
    US, EU, Asian market.

Every time you log in, you see something new.  There really are hundreds of little details in the game that make it interesting.  Blizzard was the absolute number one for easter eggs and little gifts to players, always have been, always will be.  I love Blizzard to death, I am a hardcore Blizzard fan.  Trust me, I will be level 80 when WotLK comes out (and yes, with my damn priest, though I might roll a deathknight.  Be fun to tell the healer how to heal, and if he bitches log on my healer and show them how its done.  I hate lousy healers). 

Its really hard to hate WoW.  Its the candy you always keep coming back to. 

That being said, I cannot WAIT to see what blizzard can do with several hundred million.  That will be the budget for their next MMO, and with $300 millionish (or even more - their profits are truly obscene at this point) there's every chance it will make WoW look pathetic.  I KNOW there were design choices made in WoW's development that they didn't want to make, but did because they had to due to budget reasons.  I was in Beta, I saw them being cut.  For the most part they never boasted about features that weren't implimented, so no one knows about them, but to say the least, WoW is NOT what they originally envisioned.  The game they envisioned had a hugely synergystic crafting system, which we just got to see hints of before they cut it for their rather cookie-cutter system now.  The game they envisioned had much larger player impact on the world (many of those homes/locked doors in stormwind and ironforge were going to be purchasable, before they had to cut it).  They never really wanted mounts to be fast taxis, they were thinking of adding mount-specific features, or at least so they hinted.  The talent system they implimented was rather revolutionary, but it took 3 years for them to make it right, and they never wanted that either. 

Frankly, due to money, they were forced to make some bad choices that they have been stuck with.  We all told them they needed at least another 3-6 months of beta before it was released, and they went and did it anyway. 

With hundreds of million dollars, infinite time, the worlds largest video game-based income source supporting them, and absolutely no one who would dare tell them 'no,' as well as the best internal quality control the game industry has ever seen, excepting maybe only Valve (seriously, they canned two entire games, tens of millions in development each, if not more, because it wouldn't be 'good enough' for the Blizzard Logo) any MMO CEO who didn't shit his pants when Blizzard announced a new MMORPG is either stupid, or in charge of Lineage and Aion. 

I do think WoW is not living up to what Blizzard envisioned, and I do think it will eventually be replaced by something much better.  I hope that all the Blizzard haters remember that they are the company that has created two different genres of game, damn near started a third (Warcraft the original is second only to Dune in its influence on the early genre) and has always allowed infinite user customizability.  Once again, only Valve has ever come close, and I think Blizzard respects them for it (it would be sick to see a Blizzard/Valve teamup for an MMOFPS... god... sick just thinking about it)

Anyway, thanks for hanging with me through this long, off topic tangent. 

In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.

-Thomas Jefferson