Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FLAME! me. I dont care.

Listen...

I know I will be beaten up over this post, but I dont care.

Im gonna miss stealth. I loved playing my Ranger. I want stealth to be part of my PvP gamestyle. You guys who dont like it suck.

Haha... kidding about the sucking. Let me explain a bit before you hit the "quote/reply" and flame me down.

I really miss the "scout" mentality of the stealth classes. When you are out in the battleground, it is only you and the enemy. If you see a group running around, you are able to scout back to your group... and possibly pick someone off in the process. Why his is so frowned upon, I really dont understand.

I certainly do understand the overpowered, totally stealthed(in the wide open), uber poison using, one shotting frustration that alot of you have with assasin and ranger classes in recent games. But...Even with alot of people disliking stealth classes, I believe there can be a way to implement it(and the skills releated to it) in a fair and fun way.

Call me a whiner, tell me to play another game, you dont want me to play... i know.

Im looking forward to trying out WAR. Im sure they are putting out a cool and inventive game. A game I will certainly play and hopefully enjoy...

... I just wish I could kill you before you see me.

Comments

• judgebeojudgebeo Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by pust082

Listen...
    Im gonna miss stealth. I loved playing my Ranger. I want stealth to be part of my PvP gamestyle. You guys who dont like it suck.
    Haha... kidding about the sucking. Let me explain a bit before you hit the "quote/reply" and flame me down.
    I really miss the "scout" mentality of the stealth classes. When you are out in the battleground, it is only you and the enemy. If you see a group running around, you are able to scout back to your group... and possibly pick someone off in the process. Why his is so frowned upon, I really dont understand.
    I certainly do understand the overpowered, totally stealthed(in the wide open), uber poison using, one shotting frustration that alot of you have with assasin and ranger classes in recent games. But...Even with alot of people disliking stealth classes, I believe there can be a way to implement it(and the skills releated to it) in a fair and fun way.
    Call me a whiner, tell me to play another game, you dont want me to play... i know.
    Im looking forward to trying out WAR. Im sure they are putting out a cool and inventive game. A game I will certainly play and hopefully enjoy...

There is no only one "mode" of stealth, it can be balanced, perhaps with the range: If the attacker get so close it will be detected. I dont think to put stealth is ever to overpower someone.

In the other side an overpowered stealth is really annoying and boring, so perhaps devs thought that is better to avoid it than try to balance during looooooong time.

Btw I dont think people must flame you cause an opinion, if they do... well then... perhap is people that needs to understand that everyone got his own felling, tastes...

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

You seem to love stealth but that will not change the fact that WAR will not have it. I see no reason to flame you for having an opinion. I hope you enjoy WAR.

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

They could always give a class slight but noticeable bonus to run speed so you can scout and run away upon finding the enemy. Quick enough to find and warn your friends. Maybe +15% to run speed.

We don't need auto "you cant see me!"

EDIT:  I.E.  -  Shadow Warrior, Witch Elf, Witch Hunter, Marauder, Squig Herder, Engineer

• MrVicchioMrVicchio Member Posts: 598

My wife is very happy to see that Stealth isn't in this game.  As she and I both agree, if it's stealth you want, WoW's for you.

I'm just glad they made DAoC like they did, and learned what a mistake stealth in an MMO with a focus on PVP/RVR can be.

Always change your signature.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

Never invite a troll to a barbacue. 

I can understand why you want stealth, but in my experience, one thing Mythic really struggled with over the years was trying to balance stealth classes, so it makes sense that they decided to avoid it in WAR.

Sure, lots of folks loved it, and it was a soloer's dream (I had a Minstrel, Hunter, Ranger and Infilitrator over the years) but while I enjoyed their scouting potential and ease of movement, I did feel they had an unfair advanatage being able to pop up out of nowhere and nail folks who were unaware.

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

If there is a way to fairly implement stealth Mythic wasn't able to figure out a way to do it.

You have to understand how your very statement  is a fundamental, basic flaw in game design.     The only way stealth works if you give the ability to EVERYONE (the same way everyone can pick up a sniper rifle or inviso-shield in FPS games).  

If you want to kill others before they see you, you have to be willing to be killed without any warning or chance to fight back.   That would mean giving stealth to priests and wizards and such, which doesn't really fit with their character classes. 

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

there is no stealth what so ever in this game...hmmm...interesting.....

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

ok.. here it is for all you who want stealth a way to make it in the game.... ok, a ranger,scout, what ever has stealth ok cool counter balance is every other class has "view stealth"  yay problem solved you feel stealthed and we dont get jewed by having stealth in the game its perfect.

• TalinTalin Member UncommonPosts: 918

If you want to play a stealth class, why not go the realistic route: hide behind a tree and peek around.

Scouting in games typically resorts to "invisibility", i.e., the "stealthed" character cannot be seen at all. This isn't being stealthy, it is being remove from possible view.

I would love it if WAR allowed you to wear "camoflauge" or hide under leaves, or something along those lines, in order to hide/scout. Anything beyond that just isn't necessary as it is typically overpowered/abused.

Besides, they could create some sort of spell/familiar that is able to scout if desired....

• logangregorlogangregor Member Posts: 1,524

Listen...

I feel for you man, I really do. I never really got into the stealth thing but if I had and then found a game I wanted and they didnt have stealth...I would be sorely dissappointed also.

Im not even going to get into the flamebait material Im sure someone will jump on about fairness and ganking and skill and all that crap.

Ive seen stealthers be weak in pvp "shadowbane"
    Ive seen stealthers be overpowered vs many soft caster classes like in DAOC.
    And Ive seen a nice balance in WoW.

Personally I think its kinda of a chump move on Mythics part to leave out stealth. Truth be told I bet they just dont want the balancing headache that stealthers bring to the table.

I know that some WARhead is going to talk about what is and isnt in WAR the table top game. Like I care. I play mmo's. I dont paint miniatures, or play boardgames. I play mmos to pvp and stealthers are a big part of pvp.

Stealthers just add that one more element of surprise to pvp, the thing your not counting on to happen....like your healer getting ganked with three tanks around him.

With all that being said however, Ill still play WAR and I will most likely love it.

But I do feel for you stealthers at heart.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Originally posted by logangregor

Ive seen stealthers be weak in pvp "shadowbane"

Ive seen stealthers be overpowered vs many soft caster classes like in DAOC.

And Ive seen a nice balance in WoW.  Yea it took them 2 years..count them 2 years to semi balance stealth..all in all WoW still isn't properly balanced.   Honestly Stealthers were the reason I hated WoW pvp..it made no sense you could walk around the desert and some guy just comes out of no where, hits you, returns to stealth, moves around, hits you again, stealths.     That sort of stealthing is what fubar'd MMOs.   Not even EQ 1 or UO had this sort of stealthing.   Stealthing of this invisiblity fashion is UNnatural to MMOs.  

Stealthers just add that one more element of surprise to pvp, the thing your not counting on to happen....like your healer getting ganked with three tanks around him.   Because this is an RVR game not a flat out PVP gank fiesta 1 vs 1 Pwnage game and collision detection is on terrain is very important.  Want to surprise someone? Use the terrain to your advantage, learn to think and sneak using the world as your hiding spot not the lame *press button and stand still* BS that newer MMO's have brought along.
    Everything the OP wants to be able to do is possible without the 'auto invisiblity' stealth button.  You just have to be smarter.

I for one do not feel for today's stealthers.  Today's stealthers are melee classes with an invisibility spell that just makes no damn sense.   Personally I'm glad they're sticking with the IP and leaving stealth in the fashion of newer MMO's out of the game.

OP hopefully you'll find some other awsome stratedgy for scouting without the invisiblity button and you can pretty much forget 1 vs 1 battles unless the class your shooting at is weak against you on the Paper Rock Scissors tree.

Good luck to you and see you out there on the front lines!

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• hellspithellspit Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by logangregor

And Ive seen a nice balance in WoW.

Yes i understand  the feeling about loving stealth classes.  But still i'm glad War won't have em.

Can not say  WoW has nice balance.

Example would be undead rogue taking 2 priests or  2 warlocks solo . Pop will of the forsaken + bs trinket ( or sap one while killing other) and have 50 secs of anti-fear but that was back in 2004. Then they buff one class then buff another class then nerf one claff then nerf another and goin like that in endless  loop of buffing and nerfing.  Or nowdays getting stunlocks to the death by 2-3 rogues (yes diminishing returns pop up but not always you are trinket ready). Have rogue and druid myself  and love way to choose fights (when to fight or when just to skip it)  instead to be force to fight as most of classes without stealth. It is just situational  - when you join BG and you can stealth pass enemy because they are camping spawn points instead of trying and dying to pass while you are mercilessly slaughtered.

When i look back what game was in 2004 and now what it is. Just don't wish to return to grind fest again maybe just for casual PvP.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

Check out Team Fortress 2, there is a stealth class and it is hard to play, but loads of fun.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Ok so we all know there is  no stealth..... So WTF is the point of bitching and moaning over it.. are you pleading with yourself to on some sort of mental level to accept the fact that, by the gods no stealth, the world is going to end holy crap my whole universe just imploded.wtfomgsoab... come on if you dont like it dont play it and for hell sake dont talk about it

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

*looks up at Relic* lol well looks like you got your Flamer OP...lol.  

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• swainiacswainiac Member Posts: 120

Listen...

I believe some form of stealth will be in the final game. There will be naysayers but MARK THESE WORDS and come back to this post after launch.

It will be in.

• Stealth has a number of uses:

-Bypassing mobs to reach places without fighting

-Catching the enemy unprepared by sneaking up on them

-Escaping from a fight that's going bad

-Stealth is a way to remain relatively safe whilst AFK. If an enemy wanders too close, however, they will still detect you.

For that same reason I dislike/hate stealth and consider any stealth class, the easy/rookie class (= Zero Skill).

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

This really calls for some flaming imo...

Maybe I didn't really understand what you mean...but it looks like you're looking for a class that wins over all other classes.

• OobieOobie Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Talin

If you want to play a stealth class, why not go the realistic route: hide behind a tree and peek around.
    Scouting in games typically resorts to "invisibility", i.e., the "stealthed" character cannot be seen at all. This isn't being stealthy, it is being remove from possible view.
    I would love it if WAR allowed you to wear "camoflauge" or hide under leaves, or something along those lines, in order to hide/scout. Anything beyond that just isn't necessary as it is typically overpowered/abused.
    Besides, they could create some sort of spell/familiar that is able to scout if desired....

This IMO is probably the wisest statement i've seen about a stealth class.  It would be a good way of doing what a stealther wants to do but as soon as he moves the stealth should drop. Even if it was done by an item.  I know i'd love to just look around and see somebody  just grow out of a tree  knowing they were probably just peeking on me..Free lunch.

If someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.

• AmafiAmafi Member Posts: 80

I agree with you, I would like to see people who play stealth classes use their noggin.

IMO stealth classes should be able to use the terrain to their advantage. Stuff like smoke bombs, camouflage suits, diversionary tactics, traps etc should be the tools of the trade..Make it a TRUE stealth class rather than simply click on a stealth button and be able to mince around totally invisible.

If it WAS implemented  I would like to see it done with a bit of thought.

Amafi

• pust082pust082 Member Posts: 157

Originally posted by jazz.be

This really calls for some flaming imo...

Maybe I didn't really understand what you mean...but it looks like you're looking for a class that wins over all other classes.

Hahaha... this was just my attempt at humor based on stereotypical ganker classes. I knew it would get a rise out of some who could not pick up on that. I invited the flame, I suppose.

I would never enjoy a class that did not have skill attached to an ability. While I do enjoy a stealth attack, I do not enjoy a one shot overbalanced kill. If someone is sitting in the woods, off guard and unattentive... a coup de grace sounds like it should work though. If it were possible to balance stealth to a healthy game play experience, it would be great. Obviously, the WAR devs thought otherwise. Oh well. Ill give another class a try. I just wish...

I originally posted this knowing full well that WAR would not have stealth. Venting about that was only inviting flamers to come and tell me repeatedly that which I already knew and cant do anything about. I am a bit bummed out. The game looks great. I liked DAoC's PvP. I hope this game takes the best aspects of that system and improves them. Like every new MMO should.

That all being said... Im excited about this game.  Ill probably play one of the more unique, support classes...

I just wish I could kill you all before you see me.

Originally posted by Amafi

I agree with you, I would like to see people who play stealth classes use their noggin.

IMO stealth classes should be able to use the terrain to their advantage. Stuff like smoke bombs, camouflage suits, diversionary tactics, traps etc should be the tools of the trade..Make it a TRUE stealth class rather than simply click on a stealth button and be able to mince around totally invisible.

If it WAS implemented  I would like to see it done with a bit of thought.

Amafi

Nothing like seeing a named bush in the middle of the woods...

It could work. :)

Originally posted by LordRelic

Ok so we all know there is  no stealth..... So WTF is the point of bitching and moaning over it.. are you pleading with yourself to on some sort of mental level to accept the fact that, by the gods no stealth, the world is going to end holy crap my whole universe just imploded.wtfomgsoab... come on if you dont like it dont play it and for hell sake dont talk about it

The flame Ive worked so hard for.

My job is done here.

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

Stealth as a permanent and unbreakable personnal invisibility usable while moving (WoW) is an idiotic a,nd unbalanced skill for lame-ass kids.

Stealth as a temporary camouflage usable only while not moving and meant to ambush players is an excellent ideas.

Very glad Mythic didnt pt Stealth in the game.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

At every bridge, zone line, castle gate, and dungeon corner there would be someone stealthed. There are many ways to balance a class. Making them immoble to "ambush" just takes the fun out of it completely.

As a defensive posture, a immoble stealth skill would be ok.

Reading up on AoC, stealth will be available to everyone. Rogues being more adept, of course.  They are finially doing stealth the way I have waited forever for... Use of terrain, lighting, weather and cones of vision all play caftors in stealth ability. Sounds like a good system so far. Time will tell.