Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new zones are sooo much better than the older ones...

2»

Comments

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

I like the new zones as well. The armor that is rewarded to you and that is dropped looks better, there are more green drops, and you even have a broker that sells you good items once you have enough faction. I do like the story lines better, but that is opinion. The fact is that they designed the new starting areas to be better and more rewardable to do. Who wouldn't choose a starting zone that rewards you with more greens and even lets your part with a few blues before you leave for the next area?

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I agree the BC starting zones are much better than the older starting areas

I personally found those Faction vendors a disappointment

- I had the faction but none of the faction items looked appealing to me

(ie. the quest gear was better)

this may have changed since patch 2.3, not sure

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by Thillian

Originally posted by cupertino

Originally posted by cupertino

Excuse me ? WoW lore? Is that the one that was made within a few months as a replacement for not getting Warhammer License from Games Workshop for their first RTS called Warcraft 1? They had the graphics, they had the missions. But GW change their mind. Blizzard had to make their own world within a very short time based on the graphics and missions that were supposed to be in Warhammer. 

ROFL.. not this old coconut.. Warcraft1 was ment to be Warhammer.. blah blah.. please direct me a source of your information otherwise stop with the trolling.

Direct link to what. Do you realize that this was happening in 1993? Back at that time I was buying PC game magazines and that's where it was written. Do you want me to send you a copy of a PC game magazine written in Slovak?

If you were alive at that time, or at least had some decent age to realize things and read something about PC gaming you couldn't miss that information. Warcraft 1 was first announced at the beginning as a Warhammer RTS, but Games Workshop turned it down during its development and gave the license to Mindscape that released Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat in 1995 instead.

I would of been 14 years old back then and yes I was playing WC1, Something as big as this.. there would be some evidence someplace, a scan of the "so called magazine" etc etc.. there is none, what makes me laugh even more is that people say that starcraft was ment to be a WH40K game... I mean come on.  

More likley if indeed you did see it in the magazine you remember it wrong (it was 14 years ago) and perhaps the artical just mentioned Warhammer when previewing Warcraft... after all it no secret that Blizzard are fans of Warhammer.

You might read this email someone posted here. 

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1818757#1818757

It's "interesting" that if you follow the links back in that post, you get a broken link, so the basis for that post is unproven.  I did a search for the supposed author of that piece and found nothing other than the post above.  I then searched for Mark Jacobs and went thru several interviews with Mark for the exact quote in that piece and could not find it.  This is far from convincing evidence.  I have yet to find any real evidence that Blizzard ever talked with gameworks prior to releasing Warcraft.  There's plenty of speculation, but no one has gone on record that I can find.

I have no doubt that Blizzard "borrowed" from Warhammer, just like Gamesworks "borrowed" from Tolkien and others before them.  Neither Gamesworks, nor Mythic is claiming that Blizzard stole anything from them.  If they are not claiming that Blizzard stole from them, then I don't see any reason for anyone else to claim it.  In fact many of the Mark Jacobs quotes I read, he is defending Mythic denying they stole anything from Blizzard which is kind of ironic and humorous.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

How could they claim that? It is impossible to prove something like that in the courthouse. And that is not enough evidence.. well. We are not here at the court now. This is a feeding ground for speculations and rumours. Nevertheless you can't deny the fact that Warhammer World and Warcraft World share many samiliarities, more than any other two worlds made by different companies you could possibly think of.

REALITY CHECK

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I've been unsuccessful finding other related Jacobs commentary but one thing is indisputable

Blizzards been commercially around with their own Fantasy realm mythos since 1994

- over a decade of Warcraft Lore

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

How could they claim that? It is impossible to prove something like that in the courthouse. And that is not enough evidence.. well. We are not here at the court now. This is a feeding ground for speculations and rumours. Nevertheless you can't deny the fact that Warhammer World and Warcraft World share many samiliarities, more than any other two worlds made by different companies you could possibly think of.
    I'm not talking about a lawsuit, I'm just talking about a simple statement from Gameworks stating that Blizzard approached them and when turned down went ahead and created their own world.  I haven't even ever seen that.  The only thing I've ever read about it was the guy who claimed to have worked from Gamesworks and he basically said that Gamesworks knew they made a mistake and gave the license agreement to the wrong company.  Rather than being upset with Blizzard, they were upset with themselves for not giving the license agreement to Blizzard.  Could have meant a lot of money for Gameswork.

Yeah, you can speculate here all you want.  Just make sure you make it clear it's speculation and not fact.

• JackDonkeyJackDonkey Member Posts: 383

i started a new blood elf last night, I ran from ghostlands to Mulgore cause ghostlands is just another terrible TBC zone.  Sucks though that I couldn't train her there, i just took a trip at lvl 8 to train.  I was 2 boxing with a druid but I still chose to start in the druids zone instead of the ghostlands.

Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
    if I were to kill a titan tomorrow and no CCP employees showed up to say grats I would petition it.
    Waiting for: the next MMO that lets me make this macro
    if hp < 30 then CastSpell("heal") SpellTargetUnit("player") else CastSpell("smite") end

• QmireQmire Member Posts: 423

haven't tried the draenei area yet, i guess i should but the bloodelf starting area is okay i guess, i'm not really like "whoa insane", even though there were some nice places.

The new quests and revamped area in Dustwallow is very nicely done and fits with quest chains pretty well, i had a very good time questing down there and got almost all done, so they revamped that place pretty nicely, always sucks to do 3 quests at the same place then end up realizing that there were another quest which also belonged there but were from a newby area first and a followup to that area after.

I love the old palces still, atleast those rich of lore and from scenes you know from the Warcraft series...

I don't really care whether or not blizzard borrowed alot of if any from warhammer, only that blizzard did a damn good job in creating the Warcraft universe and i'm sure any company who once turned down blizzard, today regrets it with every cell in thier body.

Should there have been such meeting with blizzard and gameworks once, and had they agreed, i wonder how it would have turned out, i mean blizzard couldn't then just create new lore and stories as they please could they? They did a pretty fine job creating the Warcraft lore and history i do say. Maybe it's thier free hands who gives them, this much quality.

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Whether or not Blizzard borrowed ideas from Warhammer doesn't really matter.  I'm sure they got some ideas from Warhammer, Dungeons & Dragons, Tolkien, etc.  The fact is the lore evolved over 3 RTS games (with expansions) and continued in an MMO (with expansion).  So even if they truly bases WC1 off Warhammer, it has since long diverged from that into it's own lore.

As for the new starting zones, I found the draenei one to be a bit more "fun" than the blood elf.  I was disappointed that there was no final instance, but really that was only a minor complaint.

Mudsprocket was a great idea, they should add more mid-range content.  Yes, I know some people blitz through levels to get to 70 asap.  Others, however, like to enjoy the journey to 70.

• 56KModem56KModem Member Posts: 38

I on the other spectrum actually dislike the new areas that were given in The Burning Crusade. I think that the old areas, though needing a revamp, are much better. They give me the feeling of the old school back when the skill and player honor actually meant something.

The new draenei and blood elf areas look something out of the sci-fi original. The zones for other races look and feel very traditional, as though they belong. May be just me, but I am looking foward to the next expansion because I think that the landscape will not look like some alien terrain.

The netherstorm is the particular area that I am not fond of. Seriously, it seems like something out of the half-life toward the end or something along those lines. Blizzard should definitely make some major changes in the good old Azeroth.

“It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

Well Northrend isn't going to be an all frozen continent like it's implied from WC3.  They are adding non-wintry zones, so who knows how the final result will be.

Yeah Netherstorm is rather... odd... zone.  I know the lore-explaination why it's like that, but still does feel a bit too "scifi" to me.  Course, the Exodar is an inter-dimension spaceship too....

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member UncommonPosts: 972

I rather enjoy the new starting area's myself.  I can't say that I dislike the Tauren starting area or even the undead starting area, however. 

I 'hate' the Orc/Troll area as well as the Human area.   Let's not even mention 'the Barrens'... I know it's not a starter area, but once I'm done with the 1-5 and 5-10/15 areas for each Horde race... I don't even wanna hit the Barrens.  Crossroads might as well be Hell, imho.  And no, Westfall isn't much better on the Alliance side, imho.