Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increased Character Customization...Are You Excited?

Comments

• dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

Originally posted by Laupp

Yea i'm so excited about the 2 new hair styles i can have and *gasp* i can remove my shoulder pads!111 AWESOME!
    Couple of quotes for you straight from the source.  All quotes can be found at this link:

www.lotro.com/article/487

"Floon would like to point out that having both of these systems in place opens the door for us to make even more customization options for you in the future."

This quote shows that it isn't necessarily the quantity of the additional hair styles and facial features you can add with this Book 12 update.  The benefit is now that they have the system in place it will be a simple task for them to drop in more customization options very easily from this point forward.

"But, we're not just giving you the option to toggle your shoulder (and glove) armour in Book 12 -- no, we're giving you more. Much more!"

Heh... it's almost like he anticipated a comment like yours. 

"The goal of The Outfit System is fairly simple: Give players complete control over how they look in the game, without impacting the gameplay benefits they gain from their currently equipped items."

More choices and control of how our character looks is ALWAYS a good thing.

"What we're unveiling in Book 12 is the ability for you to define two additional cosmetic appearances, called Outfits, for your character. These Outfits will override the visual appearance of your base Equipment."

"As long as you can wear it in your Equipment, you can wear it in an Outfit."

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559

pretty good update

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I wonder how dyes will affect appearance now.  Honestly it ticks me right off when I can use a dye, but not choose what part the dye will actually affect.  Anyone ever mess around with the Aurora toolset from neverwinter nights by BioWare?

Basically when designing armor, you choose colours for things by tier of the clothing.  Options like 'Leather 1, Leather 2' will ask you to colour two separate layers of leather clothing for example.

I know many people couldn't care but I guess I'm vain and that shows in my gaming where I want my avatar to.. well.. look like I want them to look.  Either way this update is a big step in the right direction.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I was excited at first but kind of let down by the hair styles that were added.  I want a beautiful long hair style for human females.  I guess that is too hard.  I want something long and flowing as opposed to shaggy and unkempt looking, lol.  Oh well.  

Closest thing I can think of  for changing textures not just color would be City of Heroes.  If you notice in their character creation many of the actual items are the same but with different texture/skins.  Also you can change your appearance in game after character creation.

• Darth_PeteDarth_Pete Member Posts: 559
    Originally posted by Terranah

I was excited at first but kind of let down by the hair styles that were added.  I want a beautiful long hair style for human females.  I guess that is too hard.  I want something long and flowing as opposed to shaggy and unkempt looking, lol.  Oh well.  

Where do you see all the new hair/facial hair styles? Linky please if you have.

edit: oh nevermind I found them in USA lotro forum

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062
    Originally posted by Terranah

*Ruffles your short boyish hair* hehe just kidding.  I'm sure they'll add more and you'll get your wish... wait the update already happened? Hmmm *goes to log in.*

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

Originally posted by Jaxom92

Originally posted by rikilii

I actually don't like the idea.  These pictures say it all.  Now we're going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking Drakes.
    If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.
    That's a big undertaking - being able to customize individual items. Am I understanding correctly that you want the ability to not just tweak the color (dyes) but the texture of the items? The actualy shape? Does an mmo out there allow that sort of heavy customization? I've only played LOTRO, so I really don't know, but would be interesting in finding out.

Really, the implimentation of such a sophsiticated item customization system would be to the detriment of more pressing issues for future updates. It seems to me that this outfit system gives enough customizability without needing the extra time it would take to create all the little pieces one might put together to form armor (lots and lots and lots of new textures would need to be created). And again, that extra time would need to be taken from other parts of the update (or future updates).

Of course, my final judgement of this system will be reserved until I use it, but until then, it seems to be a good addition to customizability, and the dev journal specifically states being able to add to the features later, since the initial system has been created.

I was thinking more along the lines of each type of armor having a number of appropriate appearance options, all based on existing models and stats.

For instance, an Elven Soldier's Armor recipe would determine the stats of the armor, but the crafter could assign an appearance from any Heavy Armor to it (or at least any Heavy armor for which he also has the recipe).  I would leave color selection to the dyes.

I would settle for there being limitations on what combinations would be allowed, or simply prohibiting thing like evening gowns from being layered over armor.

Originally posted by Jaxom92

I actually don't like the idea.  These pictures say it all.  Now we're going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking Drakes.
    If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.
    That's a big undertaking - being able to customize individual items. Am I understanding correctly that you want the ability to not just tweak the color (dyes) but the texture of the items? The actualy shape? Does an mmo out there allow that sort of heavy customization? I've only played LOTRO, so I really don't know, but would be interesting in finding out.

Really, the implimentation of such a sophsiticated item customization system would be to the detriment of more pressing issues for future updates. It seems to me that this outfit system gives enough customizability without needing the extra time it would take to create all the little pieces one might put together to form armor (lots and lots and lots of new textures would need to be created). And again, that extra time would need to be taken from other parts of the update (or future updates).

Of course, my final judgement of this system will be reserved until I use it, but until then, it seems to be a good addition to customizability, and the dev journal specifically states being able to add to the features later, since the initial system has been created.

In COH many of the customization choices are merely different textures or skins on the same clothing/armor item.  You can also alter your appearance after character creation.

Originally posted by Bedlem3342

[quote][i]Originally posted by rikilii[/i] [b][quote]Originally posted by 8hammer8 [quote]Originally posted by logicbox9 I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched... [/quote] I believe you are just mistaken then. You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one. Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress. There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy. But How Does It Work? That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below: [url=http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/96/85/63/81/2110.jpg][image]http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/83/69/57/62/2114.jpg[/image][/url] (Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.) Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1[superscript]st[/superscript] Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot: [url=http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/65/84/27/10/2111.jpg][image]http://lorimages.level3.turbine.com/admin_files/25/15/94/48/2115.jpg[/image][/url] [/quote] I actually don't like the idea. These pictures say it all. Now we are going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking drakes. If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.[/b][/quote]
      Yeah, and whats wrong with that ,just means its a magical dress...  :)  I personally like the new system.

What's wrong with it is that it is not  LoTR.  It will be hugely immersion breaking and potentially absurd.

• Jaxom92Jaxom92 Member Posts: 267

I was thinking more along the lines of each type of armor having a number of appropriate appearance options, all based on existing models and stats.
    For instance, an Elven Soldier's Armor recipe would determine the stats of the armor, but the crafter could assign an appearance from any Heavy Armor to it (or at least any Heavy armor for which he also has the recipe).  I would leave color selection to the dyes.
    I would settle for there being limitations on what combinations would be allowed, or simply prohibiting thing like evening gowns from being layered over armor.
    I think we're pretty close to that now no? You have a recipe that determines stats, and you can pick any other armor or outfit to be your cosmetic "layer." Instead of having the look be in the hands of the crafter, it's in the hands of the player.

And it would look a bit odd having an elf maiden running around in Angmar in an evening gown. We'll have to see what the system looks like when Book 12 is released.

Check out my LOTRO Blog: www.middleearthadventurer.blogspot.com

• Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by Bedlem3342 Originally posted by rikilii Originally posted by 8hammer8 Originally posted by logicbox9 I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched...
    I believe you are just mistaken then. You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one. Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress. There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy. But How Does It Work? That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below: image (Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.) Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1st Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot: image
    I actually don't like the idea. These pictures say it all. Now we are going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking drakes. If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.

Yeah, and whats wrong with that ,just means its a magical dress... :) I personally like the new system.

What's wrong with it is that it is not LoTR. It will be hugely immersion breaking and potentially absurd.

Well thats your opinion,

But myself as a roleplayer ,i would rather the option be there than it not.If she wants to go out and tank drakes in a dress,why don't you go tell her in-game.

Originally posted by 8hammer8
    Originally posted by logicbox9 I was talking about the outfitting system, the RP clothes... not the armor swap. Sorry if you were confused. The RP clothes cannot be mixed and matched...
    I believe you are just mistaken then. You can mix and match RP clothes as you have multiple slots and not just one. Looking at the first picture below look at the shoulder pads with the armor and then look at the second picture...same shoulder pads can be seen despite the dress. There would be just one slot to put a preselected outfit in if it were just a onesy. But How Does It Work? That's another great question! Take a look at the screenshot below: (Please note, the UI pictured here and below is still a work in progress.) Once you've reached level 20, you'll have access to a few new tabs in your Character Journal which allow you to toggle between your base Equipment and both Outfits. In the screenshot you can see that the player is on their 1st Outfit. Any item they drag on the corresponding Outfit Slot will be equipped cosmetically, overriding the appearance of the item in their base Equipment slot, as you can see in the following screenshot:

I actually don't like the idea. These pictures say it all. Now we are going to see pretty ladies in pretty dresses tanking drakes. If they wanted to improve customizability, they should have done it at the item level.

Yeah, and whats wrong with that ,just means its a magical dress... :) I personally like the new system.

What's wrong with it is that it is not LoTR. It will be hugely immersion breaking and potentially absurd.

Well thats your opinion,

But myself as a roleplayer ,i would rather the option be there than it not.If she wants to go out and tank drakes in a dress,why don't you go tell her in-game.

Yes, it most certainly is my opinion, the expression of which is what I'm pretty certain is the purpose of this board.  I'm not telling you whether or not you should like the feature.  But I will give you food for thought:  If you are a role player, shouldn't you be dressing for the role you're actually playing?

And by the way, it's not that big a deal to me, and I'm sure I'll take advantage of it.  I guess it's certainly better than seeing someone run around in 7 different colors of armor.

Yes, it most certainly is my opinion, the expression of which is what I'm pretty certain is the purpose of this board. I'm not telling you whether or not you should like the feature. But I will give you food for thought: If you are a role player, shouldn't you be dressing for the role you're actually playing? 

Maybe her style is tanking drakes in a dress,i dont know.The point is its a RPG which means you have the option to  do whatever you want.Kepping  certain options out of the game would be discouraging role-playing.Imo its a magical world ,maybe its a magical dress.There, now you can rest in peace.

Yes, it most certainly is my opinion, the expression of which is what I'm pretty certain is the purpose of this board. I'm not telling you whether or not you should like the feature. But I will give you food for thought: If you are a role player, shouldn't you be dressing for the role you're actually playing? 
                   Maybe her style is tanking drakes in a dress,i dont know.The point is its a RPG which means you have the option to  do whatever you want.Kepping  certain options out of the game would be discouraging role-playing.Imo its a magical world ,maybe its a magical dress.There, now you can rest in peace.

Perhaps, but everything you do in an MMO can affect the enjoyment of other players.  It's why the games have limitations and rules.  And I don't recall anything in the lore even remotely suggesting the existence of magical dresses that are suitable for withstanding the wrath of a fire-breathing newt.

Originally posted by Bedlem3342 Yes, it most certainly is my opinion, the expression of which is what I'm pretty certain is the purpose of this board. I'm not telling you whether or not you should like the feature. But I will give you food for thought: If you are a role player, shouldn't you be dressing for the role you're actually playing?
    Maybe her style is tanking drakes in a dress,i dont know.The point is its a RPG which means you have the option to do whatever you want.Kepping certain options out of the game would be discouraging role-playing.Imo its a magical world ,maybe its a magical dress.There, now you can rest in peace.

Perhaps, but everything you do in an MMO can affect the enjoyment of other players. It's why the games have limitations and rules. And I don't recall anything in the lore even remotely suggesting the existence of magical dresses that are suitable for withstanding the wrath of a fire-breathing newt.

So you are saying that if you are in a team with a chick who is tanking a drake in a dress that you are going to tell her to put on a chainmail shirt? Most people ask why guys wear dwarf skirt like pants,is that in lore? No. What you wear has nothing to do with lore.

This is about whats happening while the fellowship is assembled ,About whats happening back home.You dont have to wear what legolas wears if your a hunter ect.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Master_PingMaster_Ping Member Posts: 6

The new book seems interesting but not enough to bring me back yet. I'll see what the next book has to offer

Maybe her style is tanking drakes in a dress,i dont know.The point is its a RPG which means you have the option to do whatever you want.Kepping certain options out of the game would be discouraging role-playing.Imo its a magical world ,maybe its a magical dress.There, now you can rest in peace.

Perhaps, but everything you do in an MMO can affect the enjoyment of other players. It's why the games have limitations and rules. And I don't recall anything in the lore even remotely suggesting the existence of magical dresses that are suitable for withstanding the wrath of a fire-breathing newt.

So you are saying that if you are in a team with a chick who is tanking a drake in a dress that you are going to tell her to put on a chainmail shirt? Most people ask why guys wear dwarf skirt like pants,is that in lore? No. What you wear has nothing to do with lore.

This is about whats happening while the fellowship is assembled ,About whats happening back home.You dont have to wear what legolas wears if your a hunter ect.

I think we're talking past each other.  I'm not going to ask anyone to do anything.  I might choose not to group with them, or I might tolerate it, but it certainly won't enhance my immersion.  It will be just like if Turbine suddenly decided that all Orc NPCs would be modified to wear Burberry scarves and kilts.

And I have no idea what you mean by "wear dwarf skirt like pants" so I won't attempt to address that.

Anyway, I don't have any problem with people wearing dresses "back home."  You can do that now.  You just swap your armor for a dress.  But where in the "lore" is there any indication of people going to war in evening gowns?  Hell, where is there any mention of evening gowns period?

Like I said, it's not a big deal, but it just seems like a flawed solution to a minor problem (if there was a problem at all).

Okay it's settled,

You have got your opinion and i have got mine,nuff said.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Perhaps, but everything you do in an MMO can affect the enjoyment of other players.  It's why the games have limitations and rules.  And I don't recall anything in the lore even remotely suggesting the existence of magical dresses that are suitable for withstanding the wrath of a fire-breathing newt.

I suppose the robes worn by a wizard do a better job of withstanding the same newt's wrath?  Doubtful.  If a stranger wearing a dress and minding their own business while fighting affects your enjoyment of the game, you might be getting too wrapped up in LOTRO.  In the end, it's just a game.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034

Character customisation is a very important feature for me as a very visually-oriented roleplayer, but I don't consider the character's belongings to be part of that customisation, so this update is mostly of no interest to me. It's not character customisation, it's clothing and armour customisation....

As for the barber shop, I think it's quite campy and anachronistic. It's a shame that the elves, especially, will not have anything more dignified than a 'barber shop'. Only the hobbits should call it such, as they are the signature anachronistic race with waistcoats, buttons, and matchsticks.

But the added hairstyles are welcome so long as they provide what each race is in dire need of (such as long hair for the elves), rather than adding what there is already too much of (such as modern hairstyles).

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon

Originally posted by Deathstrike2

In the end, it's just a game.

Yet, here you are, arguing with me about a very minor feature of "just a game."

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Character customization for me is one of the most important things in a game. I like to look perfect (in my eyes) by the end of the character customization screen. In WoW, for me, there wasn't enough customization for me. The fact that they're adding this into the game so that you can actually change your characters looks if you are bored with how you look, is wonderful, in my opinion.

I can't wait for bk12 to come out! :D

Originally posted by Splinki

Character customization for me is one of the most important things in a game. I like to look perfect (in my eyes) by the end of the character customization screen. In WoW, for me, there wasn't enough customization for me. The fact that they're adding this into the game so that you can actually change your characters looks if you are bored with how you look, is wonderful, in my opinion.
    I can't wait for bk12 to come out! :D

I agree with you about the character customization.  One thing this game needs is better facial customization.

One of the reasons everyone looks exactly alike is that there are no real options for changing the shape of your face.