Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question?

Does china have it's own servers or do they share the list we have?

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
-Yes.

Comments

• ShijukiShijuki Member UncommonPosts: 318

They have their own.

• iinnttddiinnttdd Member Posts: 47

Yes, China has her own server, just as WOW US, WOW Europe which couldn't share.

• pussaykatpussaykat Member Posts: 791

I was asking because there's this site that monitors the us/eu realms at it has a much lower estimate of wow's current population. Since China is not included it may not be accurate. I heared someone clain wow had 10m subscriptions, that person got really defensive when i asked him where he got his numbers from.

Anyway, here's a link for those that might want to check it.

www.warcraftrealms.com/temp/activity-2007-12.htm

-Would you like cheddar or swiss cheese?
    -Yes.

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Originally posted by pussaykat

I was asking because there's this site that monitors the us/eu realms at it has a much lower estimate of wow's current population. Since China is not included it may not be accurate. I heared someone clain wow had 10m subscriptions, that person got really defensive when i asked him where he got his numbers from.

Do remember the site is not offical, the way they get the numbers is to ask players on each realm to run a mod that some how counts the number of players online at that time, so run the mod at 3am will show far less players than if you ran it at 5pm and so on... so take all those numbers with a large bucket of salt.

As to your friend getting the numbers of subs, he is almost right.. in blizzard last press release http://www.blizzard.com/press/070724.shtml blizzard gives numbers, there are about 230 EU realms and 250 US realms.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by cupertino

Originally posted by pussaykat

Do remember the site is not offical, the way they get the numbers is to ask players on each realm to run a mod that some how counts the number of players online at that time, so run the mod at 3am will show far less players than if you ran it at 5pm and so on... so take all those numbers with a large bucket of salt.

As to your friend getting the numbers of subs, he is almost right.. in blizzard last press release http://www.blizzard.com/press/070724.shtml blizzard gives numbers, there are about 230 EU realms and 250 US realms.

If you know that about warcraftrealms, you surely know also that the numbers on the website is an average of hundreds of people at any time. Time plays no role. So please stop defending it any cost. It shows constantly around 2 and a half milion subscribers, and it went down by like 10% last 4-5 months.

REALITY CHECK

And also keep in mind, that the numbers there are the characters not actual subscribers. It counts free-trial accounts and alts. If it shows that a server has 15 000 characters, the real number might be 5000 subscribers. That's a hard guess of the percentage of people with alts and trial characters at that time.

REALITY CHECK

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

Originally posted by Thillian

And also keep in mind, that the numbers there are the characters not actual subscribers. It counts free-trial accounts and alts. If it shows that a server has 15 000 characters, the real number might be 5000 subscribers. That's a hard guess of the percentage of people with alts and trial characters at that time.

Thillian you are also fully aware that those numbers are nothing but "snapshots" in time which on most servers results to about 1 or 2 "snapshots" a day and ONLY the characters active at that time are counted. Since 1 or 2 "snapshots" a day is grossly inadequate to get even a wild approximation of the actual totals, it's completely misleading. If it shows that a server has 15,000 characters, it could actually mean the true number is 50,000 characters or more, most of which are not active at the instant the 30 or so "snapshots" were taken that month. The numbers are completely meaningless and you know it. Quit defending it.  If the number of people that used the census increased about a 100 times, then it would have some value, in it current state, it's worthless. 

I'm not criticizing Warcraft Realms.  They are merely attempting to put some actual numbers to the servers and it's a valid attempt.  The problem is that it relies on the people playing the game to first install the mod, then take random samplings throughout the day and finally upload the data to the warcraft realms servers.  Unfortunately that is not occurring to a sufficient degree for it to be accurate.  That's not Warcraft Realms fault, so while I applaud the attempt, even they realize it's not that accurate and state as much on their site.  Below is a quote direct from their own FAQ.

Server X only has 10 people on Horde side! That can't be right, can it?

No, it most definitely is not right, but it's not WarcraftRealms' fault, either! If you go to that server's page, it will most likely tell you there have been very few submissions in the last 30 days, and as only data from the last 30 days is included in most stats, that is the reason for the seemingly non-existant population. WarcraftRealms relies on submissions from players to keep information accurate, so where those submissions do not exist, sadly the accuracy is also lost.

I noticed you didn't reply to my post about a Blizzard representative who just recently said that nearly all the servers (only a handful are not) would be considered high populations at pre BC levels because they have been raising the population cap on the servers.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/163678

Nah I'm not saying WoW is dying or it loses its subscribers tremendously. I don't really care about the numbers they have. Numbers will never convince me about the quality. But anyway I have no reason to not trust warcraftrealms statistics when I read how they get them. But yeh I guess sometimes may happen on a few servers there isn't many people around with that mod to count the people online accurately. And I do think that may have around 5000-8000 people on each server. That number if you multiply it with the number of servers fits into the last official announcement about their subscribers.

REALITY CHECK

• cupertinocupertino Member Posts: 1,094

Thats Papa for explaining what I was trying to point out. The realmstats are not 100% perfect they are not even 50% accurate. and are in no way an indication of true realm population.

for example I looked at Aiear peak server, 55 allaince ran the test and 31 hord ran the test and the popluation was apparently 18k allaince and 6k horde.. theres a noticable relationship betten number of Data submissions and population there.

No problem using the site to get a very basic but inaccurate population stat of a realm but dont hold it up as a real and honest source cus its far from that.

I would believe Darkfall is a real game before I believe realmstats =D