Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The very basics of this game.

LefnartLefnart Member Posts: 35

Heya,

I played this game years ago and had VERY fun with it.  But instead of talking about the ups and downs I thought I would explain a bit the really basics, how it works when you go out for a hunt. Because I don´t think most people know how the game works.

Lets say you have deposited $10. For that you get 100 PED. Now you can buy a starter gun and 90 PED worth of ammo. (just as an example)

Now you head out and start killing some easy monsters and 2 hours later you are out of ammo, so you head back to base. If you didn´t find anything special(like weapons/armor parts) that you will want to keep you vendor it all in the Trade Terminal. Then you go and repair your weapon(because it will have lost some of its durability).

When everything is accounted for you now stand there with a fully repaired gun and 78 PED. So you have lost 12 PED. But it´s not all lost, you have gained hunting skills while you hunted, skills that make you do more damage, hit more often etc. So your next hunting trip might go a little better.

If you are lucky, those $10 can last you a very long time if you play it smart. If you don´t wanna rush you can even sell Wool and Skins you find from the monsters you kill. Even if you sell something at 101% of its Trade Terminal value it will help you in the end, though it might be time consuming. 

Sounds kinda repetitive right? Yes it is, but the excitement lies in knowing that any time  you loot a monster you can loot something big! Maybe you have done 12 hunting rounds that have gone bad/ok. So you buy ammo for your last 8 PED and go out hunting and "BAM!" you get a loot, and a message(that everyone can see), worth 364 PED!

Well in case anyone wondered more about how it works, like I did when I started playing :]

Cheers,

Lelle

Comments

• MarineBoyMarineBoy Member UncommonPosts: 27

I agree Lefnart.

The problem resides in the fact that many people expect to win big from the start and they get very dissapointed when they don't and through in more money and in the end they just spent lot more than in a subscribing game. But this has nothing to do with the game being bad or good but with the people being greedy.

So try the game but don't expect to make a living out of it but just paying for some entertainment.

• nobionnobion Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by MarineBoy

I agree Lefnart.
    The problem resides in the fact that many people expect to win big from the start and they get very dissapointed when they don't and through in more money and in the end they just spent lot more than in a subscribing game. But this has nothing to do with the game being bad or good but with the people being greedy.
    So try the game but don't expect to make a living out of it but just paying for some entertainment.

Its not the players fault..

Its mindark adverticing the game as "make money playing a game". "A teen paid his school session bla bla bla. playing our game!!!". "Neverdie dont work anymore. makes a living out of Entropia"

All this Bullshit adverticing attracts greedy people. and sure they are made to belive they will make money. Thats what the developer advertices with

Honestly. Its hard to do. and if you wanna do it it takes alot of time and its borin.

Of course you might be lucky and loot the uber stuff / hit an ATH and cash out alot of money. But the odds aint much better than winning the lotto.

All the players try and convince people to start playing Entropia universe with the goal of having fun. And playing for the less money / month as possible. Being "smart".

While the company does the exact oppesite. It tries to hype money greedy investors / or non investors. into the game. By not advertivcing with the game's features and funny parts. But with the money part / economy part. Of course they do mention "you can be anything you want. Create your own destiny"  and stuff like that. But it focus alot on the money part. Which is a shame

Win... or lose...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Economic model seems lame, think I'll pass on this game

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

It sounds to me as a gambling game. I have nothing against gambling, just I dont like it. This 10 $ will last you some time if you play it smart... In any pay to play game I know exactly how many time will me money last: 1 month. But eh!, is a matter of tastes.

• LefnartLefnart Member Posts: 35

Well yes this game is a "gambling game". That´s why it can be so exciting, but I stopped playing when the game got too slow(they changed movement speed etc.). I don´t know if it is any fun anymore, just wanted to let people know how the gameplay works.

Try it at your own risk, cause like with any gambling you can get hooked really bad on it :|

I myself got lucky, I deposited a total of ~$1200 and left with over $1400 and still have tons of skills left(you can extract and sell your skills too). So if you think about it that way I got many many months of fun play and still managed to earn a few bucks.

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

LOL, there is no F'ing way a newb makes 78 PED after repairs when he goes out and blows 90 PED worth rounds off.

He'll be lucky to get 20 PED, if even that.  I play currently and deposit my monthly 20 bucks.  Hunting doesn't get you jack.  Mining... yeah, you can break even mining but hunting as newb?  Forget it.  Might as well burn your money.

Even if you hit a "good" drop on some of the newb mobs you're still only getting 2-3 pieces of pixie which is like not even 10 PED.  The junk loot isn't worth crap.  You can't even really markup pixie armor either for the market.

Nah, my advice to newbs:  Get an ore finder and ore extractor and spend every single penny on bombs.  It's your only chance.  You will never break even via hunting in your first few months.

• gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 54

Man it's never about making money, but having a fun game experience. I think these type of game / economic model is great, especially for someone tired of all the disney-hold-your-hand mmorpgs (started by wow)

For one, there is no selling currency on the blackmarket and rampant inflation / collapse of market prices that's associated with almost every single mmorpg.  It's REAL money, people take it much more seriously vs buying 1000k gold for 10 bucks online.

Also related, as the entire game is based on real money. People tend to play the game much more seriously, resulting in a better game experience for everyone.

The only thing is i just cant stand the graphic, it's just terrible like putting salt in my eyes.  Will definitly check it out once they have the new engine.

• MarineBoyMarineBoy Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by gagaliya

The only thing is i just cant stand the graphic, it's just terrible like putting salt in my eyes.  Will definitly check it out once they have the new engine.

I don't understand what's not to like in the EU's graphics especially when compared with other games'. I find them at least same if not better. The world's details are excellent and very fine defined, the movement is very smoth and realistic, even swimming, buildings, entering/exiting buildings is very smooth and real like without changing screens, mobs/animals are fine. Recently the characters had to be redesigned as EU improved the graphics and the new characters look much cooler. Armor, clothes are quite exceptional for those who afford them (I am not talking about the entry level ones).

All in all I find the graphics very solid, well executed and enjoyable. I.m curious, gagaliye, which game you find having good graphics.

Cheers.

Originally posted by lkavadas

LOL, there is no F'ing way a newb makes 78 PED after repairs when he goes out and blows 90 PED worth rounds off.

Well it was just an example of course, and not to be seen as an "advice" to new players, just trying to explain how the game plays. Though when I used to play and hunted those Cornundos next to Twin Peaks with a Jester D-1 I could usually break even for many hunting rounds in a row.

What I think might be the problem for many players that lose PED fast is that they buy a "good" gun and go out hunting medium/hard monsters since it's not as fun to hunt easy ones. That way you can lose money extremely fast since you doesn´t have near the hunting skills yet to handle the gun or hit the monsters at a good rate.

I realise the game might have changed substantially since I played, it´s probably harder to break even nowadays :|

• CavadusCavadus Member UncommonPosts: 707

I've been using my TT opalo carbine for the entire time I've played.  I have never once made money hunting.  Anything.  Ever.  I generally spent my first month grinding way up near Atlas Island in the grounds with all of the snorb whatever they are and exosaurs.  Pretty much stayed on those mobs until I hit 3500 in my rifle skills.  I branched out a bit towards Twin Peaks and started hitting the exarsours and cornundos spawning there big time.

No, I lost money every single time and please under that for me, no, it's not about making money.  I just wish pissing away my monthly investment like in any other MMO would carry me through until my next month's investment if I play smart but playing smart doesn't really get you anywhere besides going broke two weeks alter than you normally would.

This game is gambling, there's no ifs or buts about it.  Mining is a great example.  One bomb costs 1.00 PED.  I'm playing a friggin' dime slot.  I've read every guide on the EU forums site.  I have/had a mentor for quite awhile. I don't go out and buy a new anything.  Ever.  I think I've managed two upgrades to an orefinder and two for extractors in my five months ingame.

It's a cool game and I like the sandbox atmosphere of it but new players should be aware that you will lose a lot of money if you plan to invest a lot of hours into this game.  Mind Ark doesn't give a crap about sucking your wallet dry and they''ll be more than happy do it at a rate that puts every other MMO to shame.

Hey, thanks for your answer.

Sorry to hear that, it seem as if PE has changed a lot since I played. Back in the day it was usually only careless people that lost a lot of PED. Sounds like MA got greedy once they started to get some success

• TorschenTorschen Member Posts: 78

Just so that everyone know it is doable, I have played last year without depositing at all. Often I get near broke, then again get good enough loot to carry on.

Got about 5k rifle skills, 4k pistol skills and so on. I hunt feffoids, cornundacauda, argonauts, the usual middle tier mobs. I need to use a lot those limited weapons though, to get good enough overall hit %.

For newb that surely is not possible, too many misses when hit ability is low.