Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC gaming .... it's dead Jim.

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I dont know if you heard allready , but 2007 was (sale wise) very concerning for us PC gamers.

Does this means the end of PC gaming era ?

www.tomsgames.com/us/site/flash_videos/second_take_the_pc_gaming_slump.html

Comments

• seabass2003seabass2003 Member Posts: 4,144

I think it really means PC gamers won't just buy any piece of shit on the shelf anymore. We have become very demanding in getting good products and if they are not there we will not buy.

In America I have bad teeth. If I lived in England my teeth would be perfect.

• airborne519airborne519 Member Posts: 542
    Originally posted by seabass2003

I think it really means PC gamers won't just buy any piece of shit on the shelf anymore. We have become very demanding in getting good products and if they are not there we will not buy.

I really hope you are right, but when people settle for the crap that's out there....

• wolfmannwolfmann Member Posts: 1,159

Alotta crap out there, and the industry is sooo happy for it.

They know that they can put a product on the shelves that give 20 hour gameplay, and someone will buy it for 50-60$

Especially if they give it a fancy name, and add alot of shiny bling bling gfx.

Computer gamers however... most of us want more than bling, most of us want more than 20 hours...

And sales figures show it. We just ain't buyin the crap.

imageThe last of the Trackers

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Thats strange, why have I been reading its been a great year (2007) There are more, you get the idea, enough with the doom and gloom already.

2005 was the last bad year of PC game sales, things have been good since. (so far, 2008 just started 20 days ago)

www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php

www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php

www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/12373/PC_Games_Sales_Rise_In_US.html

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by seabass2003

So you think that Crysis or COD4 were crap ?

They were not.

The problem is , in my opinion HARDWARE.

PC games became  to damn hardware demanding. And people are just sick of having to very costly upgrade every year and half.

I know some people will come here and say "Thats not so expensive" - But these are exactly the people that bought Crysis - 300.000. Rest , it seems do think it is expensive after all...

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844

Shooters are always crap

Originally posted by Torak

Thats strange, why have I been reading its been a great year (2007) There are more, you get the idea, enough with the doom and gloom already.
    2005 was the last bad year of PC game sales, things have been good since. (so far, 2008 just started 20 days ago)

I don't think it's doom and gloom, but I have to say, the stuff that's currently out there is not what I consider top of the line MMORPG's. I play City of Heroes... but it's just a pacifier.. After the downfall of Star Wars G (yes I know it's worn out, but we lost a good game), since, I have struggled to find something worth my hard earned money. I do however, look forward to trying AoC. So, not all is lost.. yet..

• Omega3Omega3 Member Posts: 398

PC gaming is expensive for players and most likely not rewarding enough for publishers.

Consoles cost 400-600$, and they can do the job graphic-wise.

In my opinion, the next generation of console will come bundled with a keyboard, and with the development of movement sensitive devices, PC gaming is going to be hurt alot... because that's honestly the only barrier between PC and consoles: FPS/simulation/mmorpgs play better on PC because of the mouse.

My addiction History:
    >> EQ1 2000-2004 - Shaman/Bard/Wizard/Monk - nolife raid-whore
    >> WoW 2004-2009 + Cataclysm for 2 months - hardcore casual
    >> Current status : done with MMO, too old for that crap.

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by Kilmar

Shooters are always crap

That is not true there are many great shooters.. I mean like CoD4 is awesome, cs is godly, oh and what about halo and half life?.. thats not even mentioning bioshock or TF2.

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

Console gaming is getting just as pricey as mid level pc's and they still do less.   It may only be 400 to 600 dollars for the box but then you gotta have all the 'extra' doo dads that companies like Sony and Microcrap er Microsoft leave off so they can continue to bleed money out of you like extra controllers, an extra internet connection fee (for the xbox360 users), memory cards if you want to take a game to your friends house, etc etc.   

Personally I don' t think PC gaming will ever die out it'll just continue to evolve.  Though hopefully they'll get back to make games fun instead of just pretty.  

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982

Too many PC games are being made with the console demographic in mind, IMO. Also, many dev companies that used to make games for the PC have been bought by companies that tell them to either make games only for a console or to make them for both console and PC to the detriment of one or the other (or both).

• sh4dowst4lkrsh4dowst4lkr Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by airborne519

I don't think it's doom and gloom, but I have to say, the stuff that's currently out there is not what I consider top of the line MMORPG's. I play City of Heroes... but it's just a pacifier.. After the downfall of Star Wars G (yes I know it's worn out, but we lost a good game), since, I have struggled to find something worth my hard earned money. I do however, look forward to trying AoC. So, not all is lost.. yet..

True that, AoC ftw and I am also looking forward to Stargate Worlds MMO wise.

IMHO, you could probably make a solid case that MMORPG sales are down on average (with the possible exception of WoW. which has been carrying MMO stats since its launch.) Nothing else is really doing anything to brag about in either design or numbers.

But to say PC gaming is in any sort of trouble after the line up of releases in 07 is a stretch of the imagination to say the least. Almost everything PC gaming touched (almost) turned to gold last year outside of MMO's. (even the expansions were good for the mostpart)

Originally posted by elvenangel

Console gaming is getting just as pricey as mid level pc's and they still do less.   It may only be 400 to 600 dollars for the box but then you gotta have all the 'extra' doo dads that companies like Sony and Microcrap er Microsoft leave off so they can continue to bleed money out of you like extra controllers, an extra internet connection fee (for the xbox360 users), memory cards if you want to take a game to your friends house, etc etc.   

Personally I don' t think PC gaming will ever die out it'll just continue to evolve.  Though hopefully they'll get back to make games fun instead of just pretty.  
    Very true. Consoles are exactly that.. inexpensive, but sold expensive, PC's, which are for the most part not upgradeable.. yet.  I hate the fact that my PC blows the consoles away when it comes to the guts of the machine, but the PC gets the shaft on some very cool titles out there.  I was looking forward to the Force Unleashed.. I hope LA's decides to release it to us PC users..  Now that the movie industry is moving toward blu-ray, this may give me an excuse to by the PS3... I might as well get a two for one deal...

IMHO, you could probably make a solid case that MMORPG sales are down on average (with the possible exception of WoW. which has been carrying MMO stats since its launch.) Nothing else is really doing anything to brag about in either design or numbers.

But to say PC gaming is in any sort of trouble after the line up of releases in 07 is a stretch of the imagination to say the least. Almost everything PC gaming touched (almost) turned to gold last year outside of MMO's. (even the expansions were good for the mostpart)

No, no don't get me wrong, pc games will never die.. and the mmo venue is not what keeps the industry alive. I was just merely insinuating my blatant upity standards for mmo's, hoping through some mystical force that all will change after posting my message.. LOL

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

I was PC gamer 100% till recently. Sure I had a ps2 and played madden and guitar hero 1/2/3.. but for the most part, PC all the way.

Then we bought a 46" Aquos HDTV.. and then we bought a ps3.. blu-ray movies? Awesome! So brilliant. PS3 games? beautiful. Sure, there aren't many. But the list of games coming out in just the next 6 months? Wow. Force Unleashed!! Battlefield Bad Company!! Gran Turismo!! Final Fantasy XIII ! ! ! the list goes on, and will get better as time goes by.

From a die-hard PC gamer, I love my ps3. Both of my PC's are pretty much for the web these days. I honestly don't even know if I'll upgrade them for AoC or Warhammer... bah who am I kidding.. gotta upgrade for AoC :) hehe.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

PC gamers are harder to impress where as console gamers buy any old crap and publishers have no pride in what they create as long as it makes tons of money, so now they all want a peice of lets make a crap game and put it on the console and make millions while much better games go unnoticed like Okami....

Seriously these games need to be released on Steam for the PC like Okami and Shadow of the colossus etc etc.

• Originally posted by sh4dowst4lkr

I saw a TV commercial for Stargate Worlds.  So something must be cooking there.  Kind of surprised me since I see very little buzz here.

Originally posted by gestalt11

Originally posted by sh4dowst4lkr

I saw a TV commercial for Stargate Worlds.  So something must be cooking there.  Kind of surprised me since I see very little buzz here.

Oh man, how could I have left Stargate out.. I guess it's not so widely advertised. I am looking forward to seeing the completed project.

• dikkydikky Member CommonPosts: 261

when you compare PC games library to any one console, it's doing pretty dang well

UTIII sold crap because it was gimped but prettier version of UT2004. Put out a solid game and it will sell. The Witcher managed to sell a million copies.

• airstrikeairstrike Member UncommonPosts: 373

The reason PC games are falling behind on sales are:

1.Most PC game titles are crappy ports from the consoles.

2.Alot of unfinished/unpolished PC games keep getting released and bad reviews do their job

3.Console producers are trying to monopolize the console game markets by making great titles console only,like Mass Effect,God Of War etc.

4.The PC gamer market standard has being rising,people wont buy the usual crap with different graphics and name.

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

Originally posted by airstrike

The reason PC games are falling behind on sales are:
    1.Most PC game titles are crappy ports from the consoles.
    2.Alot of unfinished/unpolished PC games keep getting released and bad reviews do their job
    3.Console producers are trying to monopolize the console game markets by making great titles console only,like Mass Effect,God Of War etc.
    4.The PC gamer market standard has being rising,people wont buy the usual crap with different graphics and name.

You have to add in developers lack of any piracy protection, i mean they could all do their own online activation such as Steam but none of them bother.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Uh...it is hard to explain things to average reader of mmorpg.com

No PC games are not dying because the games of 2007 were crap. THEY WERE GREAT (At least singleplayer ones)

PC gaming is dying because:

COD4 xbox sold 1.000.000 copies in 1 week

COD4 PC sold 300.000 copies alltogether

Originally posted by Lobotomist

No PC games are not dying because the games of 2007 were crap. THEY WERE GREAT (At least singleplayer ones)

Ah, I see where you are coming from. But PC games have always lagged behind consoles in raw numbers of users. The less complicated nature of console gaming (drop the disk in and play) and the much lower cost overhead (you buy your console and thats basically it until the next model, PS7, comes out) will always keep them somewhat ahead. In the meantime, PC gaming is riding a "high" right now but its to bad MMOs are not part of that.

• godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Where did you get these figures from?

I did a search, but im struggling to find set figures for game sales, all im getting press editorials. I'd be interested to read the set sale records.

That said, its been common knowledge that Console game sales have been surpassing PC game sales for decades. And as was said in the video, the newest reason for a lapse in PC game sales is the culture of downloading games from torrent.

I download movies, music, but ive never downloaded a game. Purely becuase I know that downloading games is jeapodising the industry and the quality of future games. Bleh.

I doubt Torrenting is going to be completely tackled, and even if it is there are other methods of downloading, so the only way this is going to go for PC gaming is with MMO's.

---