Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Anarchy Online graphics engine demo

Comments

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

Making a whole new game is, I think, out of the question,  However, I can see them gradually morphing it with upgrades like this over time until it is barely recognizable compared to the game of 2001.

The avatars may look at bit better, due to new textures, but they are certainly not getting redone at this point.  I would expect the nano casting effects to be enhanced early on - perhaps even by the launch of the engine - as that is a bit easier to do.  A lot of textures, clothing etc... may get updated on a gradual basis.

~\_/~\_O

• SatertekSatertek Member Posts: 28

Would really love to have enough new people to warrant a fresh new server.  One thing this game really needs in some aspects is a reboot.  The economy is overinflated and there are loads and loads of 220s.

Yeah but the 2 current servers would have to be stuffed for an extended period of time for that to happen.  But would be interesting to watch the race to 220 on a brand new server.

~\_/~\_O

• RogueSevenRogueSeven Member Posts: 321

a new server and new graphics would be awesome, it would definitely bring me back to the game, it was pretty fun and all, and im not usually a graphics guy, but i couldnt stand what they had, very outdated, even making the world just enhanced and then follow it up later with better looks avatars would be insanely cool

regards.

• ArmorDillianArmorDillian Member UncommonPosts: 275

a new server is the only thing that would get me back to this game.

if they add a new server when the new graphic is done,  I would drop all others game and join

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

dagnabit why can't they do that with Asherons Call

• Also, another positive point :)

Taken from a PM sent to Sillirrion (Game Director)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazybob

Just one Question

Do you know if the 'Froob' option will be abandoned when this update takes place, also if this happens will the price for a monthly/3month ect. go up?

Thanks

Reply when you can, if you can

Sillirrion's Reply:

There are no plans to do anything like that. The free offer is very important to us as a means of attracting new players and we are not considering withdrawing it. Likewise there are no plans to raise the monthly subscription rate for AO.

Originally posted by Lukain

dagnabit why can't they do that with Asherons Call

New graphics or new server?

~\_/~\_O

The real key will be to see if Funcom takes some of the cash infusion from AoC and puts it into a credible promo campaign for AO.  The current big MMO's largely keep their top positions thru constant, visible promoting.  With a new engine in place, and fresh cash,I would expect to see Funcom promote AO heavily - probably in the final quarter of this year.

~\_/~\_O

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by burmese

The real key will be to see if Funcom takes some of the cash infusion from AoC and puts it into a credible promo campaign for AO.  The current big MMO's largely keep their top positions thru constant, visible promoting.  With a new engine in place, and fresh cash,I would expect to see Funcom promote AO heavily - probably in the final quarter of this year.
    As noted by Sil: "The video was prepared for the press tour attending a press tour for Age of Conan here in Oslo on Friday."

So, they already intended for the press to get ahold of this, which is marketing. And I'm willing to bet that video plus others, along with more and more screenshots, will end up making the rounds as they get closer to implementation.  Also, the fr00b program will give them a very nice "word of mouth" promotion system, as well.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

The cool thing with AO, being on its 7th year, is that it is just filled to the brim with Sci-Fi adventures - quests and areas, as well as being very well-balanced. I urge more people to check it out - just be ready for a strict learning curve - but you will be richly rewarded once pass it. I have some of my best online experiences from AO.

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

oh yeah, and I hope MMORPG.com puts up a nice juicy article on this - Anarchy Online.. uhm.. yeah, god knows there's been "a rather lot" of us MMORPG'ers in this game ;)

Originally posted by Zorvan

Originally posted by burmese

As noted by Sil: "The video was prepared for the press tour attending a press tour for Age of Conan here in Oslo on Friday."

So, they already intended for the press to get ahold of this, which is marketing. And I'm willing to bet that video plus others, along with more and more screenshots, will end up making the rounds as they get closer to implementation.  Also, the fr00b program will give them a very nice "word of mouth" promotion system, as well.

Well, handing material out to the media and hoping they write articles on it is not what I had in mind.  If they really want to promote AO, they're going to have to pay to post banners on a -lot- more sites, do full page ads in gaming mags, maybe even run a few television ads.  The 'big boys' do just that already.  I think AO can grab and hold a much bigger audience then it has right now, it just hasn't made itself a visible face in the crowd in years.

~\_/~\_O

After seeing the new clouds, I must say that I hope the Devs don't make it 'too' earth-like.  The current 2 suns and 3 moons should all be doing their thing and the weather should be eye-catching but still a bit different than what we would expect on Earth.

~\_/~\_O

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

This is excellent news.  I would definitely go "pay to play" in AO if this overhaul takes place (I am currently a Froob).  AO has everything I want in a game and as Tabula Rasa is FTL right now, would certainly fill my Sci-Fi fix. 

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

• OyjordOyjord Member UncommonPosts: 568

I've been waiting for this news for a long time.  If the avatars also get an upgrade, I'm so coming back.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

State-of-the-art graphics have always been way down on my list of reasons for playing an MMOG. However that being said, I'm really psyched that they are doing the graphics upgrade. I've been paying to play AO since about 6 months after the first year they did Froob accounts, although I did try the game out a few times before that. Dated graphics were never the issue that stopped me from playing. I do hope they update avatar and equipment art though, and effects as well. I agree that with the new world graphics the old avatars would look rather out of place and clunky.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• OpticaleyeOpticaleye Member Posts: 498

Well AO was my 1st but i left because of the archaic mission system.I never left because of the graphics i left because they started the "instancing" era of gaming but never evolved it.

Improve the questing and "mission" system and i might consider it.Funcom did a lot to AO that hurt it.The notum wars imho was a near perfect ad on to the game but everything else after was just not done right.

What is your physical limit?

• mxmissilemxmissile Member UncommonPosts: 275

I wont come back unless they make it zoneless.  And I know I wont be missed.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

There is just too much innovation packed in this old war horse to get wasted. What killed the fun for me was the shadowlands and the way they were originally implemented.

I've resubscribed recently (to find my old characters in tact after what, 4 years?) and so far I'm having some genuine fun. With all the latest "games" I sure have forgotten how it feels to play in a "world" again.

After all these years I'm still looking for a decent sci-fi MMO world (I really wanted to like EVE but I don't think I will). AO surprised me by being decent after all these years.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

This really brings a smile to my face and is very positive for sci fi mmo games. There is a ton of content for new players. I really think this will breathe new life into AO. And I am excited for the AO community in a major way. I can't wait. 2008 has some good things for existing sci fi mmo upgrades-

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Originally posted by Darkholme

State-of-the-art graphics have always been way down on my list of reasons for playing an MMOG. However that being said, I'm really psyched that they are doing the graphics upgrade. I've been paying to play AO since about 6 months after the first year they did Froob accounts, although I did try the game out a few times before that. Dated graphics were never the issue that stopped me from playing. I do hope they update avatar and equipment art though, and effects as well. I agree that with the new world graphics the old avatars would look rather out of place and clunky.

If graphics weren't important, we'd all still be playing AC.  I will try this if the avatars get an upgrade along with the environment.  I have to say that the videos look pretty good, and there's sure to be a ton more content available than anything a newly release MMO will have.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

That's why I said my and not our, or some other all-gamer encompassing pronoun. I am human, pretty graphics attract me, however gamplay is what keeps me, and AO has gamplay in spades... My main reason I want AO's graphics update to be well done is more for the games sake than mine. It will help them attract new players and remain competitive.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

Well, I've said it before and I will say it again.  I'm a graphics whore, and if a game don't look good, it just will not hold my attention.  I'm one sad individual

The new graphics engine will help with hooking people new to the game in the important, early stages.  The game already has a ton of content - and they have been adding a -lot- this past year, much of it back on Rubi-Ka, where the freebie players can get involved.  There was a time a couple of years ago when I knew without referencing any database, everything that buffed every skill and what every encounter or quest accomplished.  Now there is so much new stuff that I don't begin to have to time to examine/quest/explore.  The current population is good and stable but FC has put in enough new stuff to keep 4x the ppl very busy.  OFC there is still the usual crowd who gets in the game and their only goal is to hit 220 and acquire by any means the best gear eBayed credits can buy, then still get their butts kicked in PvP by the vets, and then become bored and quit, having missed 90% of the games' content.

~\_/~\_O