Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DAoC II with fourth faction

sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

Just a thought.  How about adding a mainland European faction such as "Germanic" to the mix? 

Player built cities and Keeps...principalities within each "nation"...and PvP becomes not only Realm v. Realm but also Principality v. Principality.  So the goal is to first unite your own country, and THEN to conquer the others (including establishing settlements within your enemies borders!).

Now I know what Mythic has said before about a DAoC 2, and that they are not even considering it, but that position has bent a little since EA has purchased them.  The official statement is something along the lines of "when the market presents a need"...

The MMORPG gaming community DESPERATELY needs some new ideas.  An everchanging world where the ENTIRE map is in play seems to be something that might be appealing to the gaming masses.  Look at the RTS genre...still going strong...combine that with an RPG underpinning and you might have a hit!

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Not a bad idea, but I'm not seeing Mythic creating any game that would compete with WAR right now.  Best we can hope for is that WAR is such a financial success that they decide to spend some of the surplus to prop up DAOC a bit.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521

Yes.  I always thought a fourth faction was necessary.  

As for Germanic sphere?  I'd keep searching.  Too many issues with that imo.  I'd vote for a North African contigent.   Greece is a possibility.  Russian is a longshot.  Oriental / Hindu would be a viable candidate.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Forget it.

DAoC is on ventilator life support.

Check out the current player numbers on Camelot Herald.

Pretty pathetic for a AAA MMORPG.

Time to move on.

WAR is going to finish off DAoC, I think.

• neonakaneonaka Member UncommonPosts: 779

I don't see anything "finishing off" DaoC. The game has been around for a long time, and will continue to be around for a long time. I still play DAoC on a nightly basis. To be honest if your looking at the herald number counts as justification on not playing, that is up to you. I personally think its better with a lower pop count. WAYYYYY less idiots and little kids to worry about while playing. Every night I log in the BG's are still hopping, always have tons of fun in Thid and Molvik. Also my guilds vent server is also very active with tons of PvP going on in Labs. So I do not think the game is in anyway close to death.

What I would like to see tho, is for those who buy and sub to War, they should be allowed to play DAoC for 5 a month or something. Instead of 14.99 or whatever they decide for a sub fee tack on 5 and bundle them up. Also if they do this some players might hop back on to DAoC. If for 19.99 a month you could play both games I am sure alot of old DAoC players who are going to play WaR, would keep both accounts.

• sqwigginssqwiggins Member Posts: 286

Everytime a new MMORPG comes out it's going to finish off DAOC. I guess if we say it everytime one time you'll be right and can say I told you so? As far as this post, I never understood making a DAOC II when they can just update/expansion.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Pop balance has always been an issue with DAoC, I'm not so sure that a forth faction would be a good idea for that reason. In addition anyone still playing and anyone returning might, more then likely, reroll the new faction at least for a try, leaving the others practically defenseless. Thats the problem with adding a new faction late in the life of a PvP game.

The ideas are pretty good though. I would think you would need to do something like that with the base game  at launch to make it work and balanced. That a lot to throw in so late in its life.

Personally, I think DAoC still has a lot to offer the MMO community as it is still the only one of its kind out there. I'm not so sure that WAR is going to "replace" DAoC either.  Like any new game, at launch I'm sure its going to draw a lot of new players checking it out (assuming it has a decent launch) but because of its apparent lack of depth as WAR looks to be little more then a persistent RPG - shooter hybrid, many "vets" will probably drift back to their home games. I just don't see WAR having long term appeal to hardcore MMO players. Its going to appeal to WoW type players.

AoC may be more of a threat then WAR, and that we will see if they have a good launch or not. that has the potential of really messing up AoC and Funco doesn't exactly have a good rep in that dept. We will see...On top of it, System requirements will keep the majority of players out of the game for a while to come.

What they really need to do is combine servers instead of these clusters, what a bad idea. Having a under a thousand people spread out across 3 or 4 servers of landmass is just a plain old bad idea.

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261

Sorry.  I must not have been clear in my suggestion.  When I proposed a 4th faction I was speaking specifically about ideas for DAoC 2...not adding content to DAoC.

I agree...it's too late in the game for a dramatic change like this.

What I do believe, however, is as long as EA doesn't tie Mythic's creative hands behind their backs, Mythic is one of the very few companies that can bring true innovation to the MMORPG arena.  For all its flaws, DAoC was an attempt to radically change the MMO market back in 2001, and I believe the product they release AFTER WAR will be equally revolutionary.  WAR, I'm afraid, became simply another example of big money (EA) pushing its developer toward the generic for the sake of safety. 

Once WAR is only able to capture 200-500k subscribers, I'm secretly crossing my fingers that EA will release Mythic from its obligations.  Then, and only then, Hickman and the gang can set about delivering the REAL change and innovation to the MMORPG gamer!

• TheArzhAngelTheArzhAngel Member Posts: 159

Will never happen, or be a good ideér.

- What is dead, live dead.

Beta:
    GW, WOW, AOC, DAOC, DOD, L2, VG.
    Playd:
    GW necro msx, WOW never maxd, DAOC reaver-paladin-cabalist-vamp max, L2 never maxd, VG never maxd.

Play:
    Daoc - Paladin. Classic.

• MalakaiMalakai Member Posts: 147

It will never happen for one big reason.  Mythic has stated that they do not believe to doing sequels.  So there will be no DAOC 2 or even Warhammer 2 for that matter.  This question was brought up many times and Mythic always said that they would never do a sequel for DAOC.  While EA does have influence on Mythic, they also seem to let them just do there thing for the most part.

Malakai

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

AoC+WAR+Spellborn will finish off Daoc for good.

• RavkeenRavkeen Member UncommonPosts: 310
    Originally posted by Honeymoon69

AoC+WAR+Spellborn will finish off Daoc for good.

I doubt anything will finish off DAOC. WOW, LOTR, Vanguard and so on an look DAOC still pushing over 2 million dollars a year. You will always have your hardcore Daoc fans stand with Daoc. Look at EQ it is still going after so many years.

Hi I'm Ravkeen! image

Emilia_Emi Lvl 56 Witch
    Now Playing : Black Desert Online
    "America is not at war, the US Military is at war, America is at the mall."

• FESjohnFESjohn Member Posts: 46

fuck WAR if their was DAOC 2 i would go fucken crazy would be greatest thing ever WAR going suck and people gonna leave DAOC for a sucky ass game like WAR that plain sad

• kintrikkintrik Member Posts: 194

Since they added keeps and sieging to WAR, it is DAOC 2 set in the Warhammer world instead of the DAOC world.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

No, WAR won't really be DAOC 2,and I think after the initial rush, many fans will comeback to DAOC.  If they offered something like a station pass then I'm sure its future would be secure.  I'd pay 19.99/mo  if it got me access to both games.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LokyLoky Member UncommonPosts: 182

I love Dark Age even though i have not played in 2 years. DAoC 2 was my dream but it is a pipe dream ...for now. WAR perhaps is DAoC 2 in most respects (other then storyline). It seems to me that they are taking the Frontiers aspect of Dark Age and making a game out of it.

I will definatly try it, but in my gaming heart i will always hope that one day , maybe 4-5 years from now we will log in a forum and see a serious rumor about DAoC2... for now enjoy what is left and what is going to be offered or it will be a long time waiting.