Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any MMO without levels and classes?

sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

I am looking for a game to play that is character skill based, and not gear/level/class based.  Does it exist?  Oh, and not a PvP game either.

If so, please provide as much details about the game as you can (or where I can go read about it).  Thanks.

Comments

• HousamHousam Member Posts: 1,460

emmm only game like that are mmofps games...like warrock

• LitchfieldLitchfield Member Posts: 53

DarkFall

/stillwaiting

• eve online

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

WurmOnline is a very skill based game.   smithing is a skill but it's sub skills are blacksmithing, weapon smithing, shield smithing, chain crafting, and plate smithing.   each are an individual skill and each have people specializing in them.

the world itself is 99% player created, even what few epix there are need to be crafted from drake and dragon hide into the useable armor,  towns are player made, and the wild server has a RvR type PvP with full looting and skill loss on death(don't expect UO gank style looting because it practically only happens when people willingly engage you or you engage them at a town, digsite, or tower). edit: and ofcourse the more populated homesever which has NO PvP at all on it except for maybe market competition.

as for combat skills there are weapon specilizations combat styles archery and shield use ability.   combat is NOT the main focus of a game, there is so much more to the war since the game tries to be as SIM like as possible without shooting itself in the foot too much.

beware of strong indy feelings, very few animations, sound got broke in an update and has stayed such for a month and a half. 

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• METALDRAG0NMETALDRAG0N Member Posts: 1,680

Originally posted by Litchfield

DarkFall
    /stillwaiting
    Sadly [straight face] Darkfall is most likely Vaporware. And its not out.

As for my contribution to a list  of non level bases class based MMO's that are out right now well id have to say EvE Online.

"Kill one man, and you are a murderer. Kill millions of men, and you are a conqueror. Kill them all, and you are a god."
    -- Jean Rostand

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

That no pvp clause of yours really makes it challenging, what few skill based games there are out there right now all seem to incorporate some element of PVP.  I think the design is born for it myself.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

The closest thing would be Guild wars but it still incorporate level (altho level doesn't mean much in that game since it's capped at 20 -- you can achieve the cap in a couple day of normal playing), it's all about selecting the right strategy and using the right skill / tactics.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Originally posted by sonicsix

I am looking for a game to play that is character skill based, and not gear/level/class based.  Does it exist?  Oh, and not a PvP game either.
    If so, please provide as much details about the game as you can (or where I can go read about it).  Thanks.
    EVE.

You are subject to PvP 100% of the time.

But, does not mean you actually have to do it.

You can fit up your ship for pretty safe travel.

And get into a Corp that will protect you while you are Mining and such.

Or, can be a Trader.

Lots of options.

• GurkzGurkz Member Posts: 126

I dont get it what would you do in a game like that?  No classes, no leveling and no pvp?  I think what you are looking for is whats called a chat room.  You can find that at yahoo or do a google search maybe for the key word "chat room".  They also have card games and board games they dont really have classes but might have pvp so I guess that doesnt work either :( .  Hope that helps...

Sig by WhiskeyJack1

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Maybe

Ultima Online

• uncusuncus Member UncommonPosts: 528

Ryzom...but since only a few hundred other people want[ed] that kind of game [as indicated by subscriptions], it is no longer around.  Too bad, it was a beautiful world with very interesting preditor-prey interactions among the MOBs.  It didn't have very many quests, it was too sandbox, for most people.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by Gurkz

I dont get it what would you do in a game like that?  No classes, no leveling and no pvp?  I think what you are looking for is whats called a chat room.  You can find that at yahoo or do a google search maybe for the key word "chat room".  They also have card games and board games they dont really have classes but might have pvp so I guess that doesnt work either :( .  Hope that helps...

A game without classes or levels is called a skill-based game.  Character advancement is done through the raising of individual skills and attributes.  Most of these games (when done correctly) are also called sandbox games due to their non-linear nature and giving the players more control.

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

They always say there is "one" in every crowd... well, here's that "one".  Sheesh, why bother even posting?

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by uncus

Ryzom...but since only a few hundred other people want[ed] that kind of game [as indicated by subscriptions], it is no longer around.  Too bad, it was a beautiful world with very interesting preditor-prey interactions among the MOBs.  It didn't have very many quests, it was too sandbox, for most people.
    No....not even close to the statement "to sandbox"

Ryzom had a sh*t launch it didn't pull out of for 2 years and filed its first bankrupcy within the first year. Thats why it died. It was a sandbox game but without any of the tools needed to make it work / fun ever put in the game run by a company that struggled to stay solvent most of the time.

Ryzom was the complete victim of an unfinished, garbage launch, just like dozens of other MMO's.

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by Sheista

A game without classes or levels is called a skill-based game.  Character advancement is done through the raising of individual skills and attributes.  Most of these games (when done correctly) are also called sandbox games due to their non-linear nature and giving the players more control.

But almost all of those are PvP.

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241

Ultima Online was the best Skill-Based mmo around and it really started it all when it comes to MMO's.

Last time I looked it is still going and you do not have to PVP only problem with UO is 2D game they have added what looks like a exp. pack that says it make's the game 3D but from the screen shots I have seen it is still 2D just alittle better looking then it use to be.

I played UO for 5 years and have not been able to find another game that keeps my intrest as well as it did.

I love the Skill-Based play and was really fun.

Now if we can just get someone to make a 3D UO that would rock.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Torak

Originally posted by uncus

No....not even close to the statement "to sandbox"

Ryzom had a sh*t launch it didn't pull out of for 2 years and filed its first bankrupcy within the first year. Thats why it died. It was a sandbox game but without any of the tools needed to make it work / fun ever put in the game run by a company that struggled to stay solvent most of the time.

Ryzom was the complete victim of an unfinished, garbage launch, just like dozens of other MMO's.

Thats why Darkfall a sanbox game will be succesfull, it will be a very succesfull launch they bring it on market when its ready not rushed or unfinished.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• KokushibyouKokushibyou Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by WeaponX

Ultima Online was the best Skill-Based mmo around and it really started it all when it comes to MMO's.

No it didn't; look up The Realm Online and Meridian 59, both predate UO.

• WeaponXWeaponX Member Posts: 241
    Originally posted by Kokushibyou

Originally posted by WeaponX

No it didn't; look up The Realm Online and Meridian 59, both predate UO.

Granted but I dont think they where any where near as good and they did not have the staying power that UO has had, I played them as well for alot shorter time and never went back to them, But I have gone back to UO a couple of times in between new titles and have thought about going back to now since I have been reading up on some the changes but would only be til AoC and/or WAR comes out.

Assassin's like to do it in the dark and from behind.

• GurkzGurkz Member Posts: 126

They always say there is "one" in every crowd... well, here's that "one".  Sheesh, why bother even posting?

Board games and Card games on yahoo are just what you are looking for.  You get stars for your win ratio, its 100% skill based, there are no levels, and there are no classes even if you wanted to you could play bots and not have to worry about pvp incase you suck.  Its what you asked for in the first place. 

Sig by WhiskeyJack1

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

People are waiting for a new skill-based, non level/class/item centric game that isn't twitch or PvP focused.

If people are too unimaginative to "create" classes out of skills provided in a skill-based game, templates (developer picked starting skills) could be offered for those creatively challenged individuals. That way class-advocates can stay in their restrictive boxes, while everyone else can customize their characters how they want.

Will a company deliver a game like this? With the success of World of Warcraft, it seems unlikely, at least in the near future.

Only time will tell, though.

Here's hoping. Cheers.

• HexxeityHexxeity Member Posts: 848

Asheron's Call is skill-based.  How come no one ever mentions that?

Oh, that's right -- because it proves that there IS a skill-based, sandboxy game out there that most people don't really want to play.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

You could try Ultima Online... oh it has pvp?  Um never leave trammel?  No pvp there.

Now that said.. I loved the game and stuck through more than most.. played from 1997-2002.

However, I went back for a month with the "new" client.. and I really got to say between changes to the game and the well.. I didn't stick around more than 2 days.

If you never played it /shrug... Its hard to say because you may enjoy it.

Skill based games can get "large" subscriber bases.. so it isn't that small of a market.  The issue is that there haven't exactly been that many.

Unless you want to get into a flame war that would happen at the mention of SWG pre-cu which before WoW was second only to EQ2 for North American subscriber base.

Regardless your current choices for that type of game.. are very limited.

• sonicsixsonicsix Member UncommonPosts: 66

Board games and Card games on yahoo are just what you are looking for.  You get stars for your win ratio, its 100% skill based, there are no levels, and there are no classes even if you wanted to you could play bots and not have to worry about pvp incase you suck.  Its what you asked for in the first place. 

LOL, are you still here?  Isn't there somewhere else for you to troll?

Hint:  Read the subject fof the message if you forgot what I was looking for.

• beckhambeckham Member Posts: 68

board games and card games ....lol. ...this can be a joke...i think almost all mmorpgs won't meet your needs...but i know a game which focus on skill much, that is zu online, skill actually plays an important role in the game, you may give it a try.