Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

These forums need some serious work.

jimothypetrojimothypetro Member Posts: 1,437

Maybe these are just some problems with just me, but I really don't like these message boards, here's why:

1. Every time I go to post t tries to install something from the Windows XP disk.  I have no idea where my CD is for windows xp, so I just have to click cancel everytime(twice).  It's not that big of a problem usually, but if I have a game open while I'm on these forums it can take 20+ seconds. 
  2. My posts will never get posted.  many times I post something and then it will never show up.  I've grown into the habit of copying everything I post, but I shouldn't have to do this.
  3. If I have more than one window open with mmorpg.com, it will jump to other places after I post something, and sometimes it will post in the wrong spot, for instance:

I open one "thread 1."  I open "thread 2" in a different window.  I click click on reply to both of them.  I'll then reply to the 1st thread, and then to the 2nd thread.  The reply to "thread 1" will never show up, instead, it will post what I wrote in the 1st thread into the second thread; the reply to "thread 1" just won't show up at all.

Also, when I have mroe than one page open at a time and I click refresh, it will go to the last page i clicked on.  It's a pain in the to keep clicking back after evry time i hit refresh.

There, thats the problems I have with these forums.  Maybe their just happening to me, but if they are happening to more people you should really get them fixed. image

----------------------------------

"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
-- Ken Olson, chairman of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977

Comments

• TaskyZZTaskyZZ Member Posts: 1,476

1. A bug in Office... There s a thread here in this forum that tells how to fix it...

2. This happens because either your session is timing out, or the server is being reset whil you are posting. Just copy your post to clipboard before posting. Then if it fails on you, you can just paste it back in.

3. They use session variables to track your location in the forums. So, you cannot use the multiple windows method.

All of these things plague everybody. They are working on a site redesing and these problems will all hopefully go away.

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Wow. That's wierd. Do you have antivirus for the office bug?
    I never have any problems with these forums. In fact, the only problem I ever have is the color of the site which is black and blue, it should change on holidays or it should just change. Or be customizable. Lol I'm as picky as ever. ::::07::

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Yes, I know what you are talking about!  I actually programmed these forums myself and I must confess they have some issues.  Most of the issues come from the fact that I built the forums with a unique twist - I made them all run from the servers RAM as opposed to a database...this gave me about a 400% boost over all other forum products out there speed and load wise.  However, this also created some oddities that only became apparent once this site erupted into the mega-hangout it is today.

I am chipping away at an all new version of the forums that will not have the problems we have today.  It will also stop running from RAM and work from a DB.  Because we are going to need to run this site on 2-3 web servers this change had to happen anyways (servers can't share RAM data).

You can get around that office CD problem by a quick registry fix...or you can switch your defauly editor to our BBML editor in your account settings.  Here is the registry fix though: http://www.cfdev.com/support/faq/go.cfm/id/64

Thank you for your feedback...I treasure it more than you can imagine image

*highlights message and hits Ctrl-C*

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• RegusRegus Member Posts: 489
    off-topic : nice work admin, building this forums and site i mean (now i got my five stars back image)

One day all will die, surely you but never I.

"One day all will die, surely you but never I." Wheel of Time

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Sounds like you have great plans for this website Admin! Awesome!

I didn't know you lived in Hawaii! Interesting!::::02::

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage