Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about a Power Supply for my new computer build...

Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Okay, I'm slowly buying parts for my new computer that I am going to build.

Anyhow, I just purchased a used power supply from a guy that said he didn't need it anymore, paid $20 for a "Mad Dog Model #MD-550WPS" with Intel P4 support and AMD K8 support.

I plan on powering a pretty decent motherboard with probably a AMD Dual Core 6000+ CPU or so and a GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB) video card.

I can't find much information on this power supply. The guy who sold it to me said he guarantees that it works, he used it for about 6 months, and that it will definitely power my planned set up with no problems as it is a "true power 550 power supply".

Any advice here? ..And did I waste my $20 ??

- Zaxx

Comments

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by zaxtor99

Okay, I'm slowly buying parts for my new computer that I am going to build.
    Anyhow, I just purchased a used power supply from a guy that said he didn't need it anymore, paid $20 for a "Mad Dog Model #MD-550WPS" with Intel P4 support and AMD K8 support.
    I plan on powering a pretty decent motherboard with probably a AMD Dual Core 6000+ CPU or so and a GeForce 8800 GTX (768 MB) video card.
    I can't find much information on this power supply. The guy who sold it to me said he guarantees that it works, he used it for about 6 months, and that it will definitely power my planned set up with no problems as it is a "true power 550 power supply".
    Any advice here? ..And did I waste my $20 ??

- Zaxx

Never, ever, ever go cheap on a power supply. You did, indeed, waste 20$. I highly doubt that the PSU has enough amperage on the +12V rail to power an 8800GTX. A good PSU is a very key component in a good reliable PC, it arguably affects the stability of your system more then any other component. A bad PSU can lead to shut downs under load, system instability and a number of other unwanted things, a cheap brand (never heard of Mad Dog ) can lead to it surging components and taking out your CPU, MB, and GFX Card all in one go. Don't go cheap on this part, get a good quality Corsair, Seasonic, Thermaltake, PCP & C, or Antec. The 70$ for a nice PSU is so worth it. That PSU doesn't even have a PCI-E connector, you can get a conversion but the GTX is a pretty power hungry card. The website doesn't even list the amperage leading me to believe that it's too low to advertise.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

I don't like to go cheap on the PS either.  Also, look at the power efficiency of the unit.  Less wasted energy.

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Thanks for the info. I was kinda thinking that too especially since I cannot even find any info on it on the web. I am going to be building another really basic "internet pc" for my sister that isn't going to need to be too powerful at all, so I'll prolly just use this power supply on her build. (If it even works, lol)

The guy told me it a was a "true power" 550 watts, and I know I've heard those are very good and actually like 100 watts better then what it says or something... so I fell for it since $20 isn't a lot of money anyhow.

Oh well. If it works, I will still make good use of it :-)

Oh... my current computer I use to type to you is my first built computer that I build two year ago. I went with an Enermax Noistaker II 600W PS. I guess it's a pretty good one as it's still going strong.. but maybe you can advice me of a better brand name today?

Again, thanks for your help

- Zaxx

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Oh found the power supply that I bought for $20 at the manufacturers website..

Mad Dog MD-550WPS Power Supply Info..

• AlariusAlarius Member Posts: 15

Bottom line, these guys are just guessing.  It's not a bad setup.

I run a e6600, OC to 2.6ghz and a Nvidia 8800GTS on a 550Watt power supply, I also run 4 gigs of OC ram on that same power.

I have never had a power issue.

Also, there's no need to guess on the amount of power you need in your system, you can calculate it easily from the specs of your parts, I have at least 150W more than I need, you should have about the same, depending on your setup.

Your friend was right.

Also, it peaks out at 600W, you have a power surplus, but trust me, you wont get it to peak out with your specs so far.

Originally posted by Alarius

Bottom line, these guys are just guessing.  It's not a bad setup.

I run a e6600, OC to 2.6ghz and a Nvidia 8800GTS on a 550Watt power supply, I also run 4 gigs of OC ram on that same power.

I have never had a power issue.

Also, there's no need to guess on the amount of power you need in your system, you can calculate it easily from the specs of your parts, I have at least 150W more than I need, you should have about the same, depending on your setup.

Your friend was right.

Guessing? You obviously have no clue what you are talking about. You cannot run a power hungery  GPU like that with a low amperage PSU like the one he bought. If it was a quality 550W psu then yes, he could, however "Mad Dog" is not a quality brand and likely doesn't have the amperage needed. Power supplies aren't all about wattage, amperage plays a huge role too.

These really aren't the forums to ask PC HW questions in, you encounter people like this who think any old PSU should be trusted to run a PC.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Mad dog is some comp usa brand, or one they sell at any rate. that "true power 550 watt" is made by ANTEC. They make really good power supplies.

OCZ, Corsair and Pc cooling and power(someone check this, I always forget the long name.) all make really reputable power supplies.

I wouldn't use the Mad Dog simply because I don't know how reliable it is.

It COULD work. But thats a big MAYBE on a system you're probably spending over $1,000 on.(Especially used..it could die tomorrow

D.

Are you kidding me.

The PSU +12V Rails obviously output 24 amps which is plenty for his non SLI card, and there's no way he needs 34 amps with his card.

The amperage from the rails fit the bill, and the only other way to measure a supply is by the output wattage and the cabling structure.

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

you got the right idea put this "dog" on your sisters go to myspace pc and get yourself a antec 600 or other good name brand I use only antecs myself because I never have problems with them and they come with every posssable wire cable setup.

• mackdawg19mackdawg19 Member UncommonPosts: 842

That power supply will be enough for what your planning to run. The only thing that scares me is its been used. If it was new then i would say go ahead. But it being used, i would take caution when using it. If everything turns on, get into your bios and check to make sure everything is running correctly amp wise, and all your fans are running. Then read your post screen to check and make sure everything is loading correctly. Once in windows run a few benchmark tests and what not, and let your comp burn in for 24-48 hrs. If after that everything runs solid, you should be fine.

Originally posted by Alarius

Are you kidding me.
    The PSU +12V Rails obviously output 24 amps which is plenty for his non SLI card, and there's no way he needs 34 amps with his card.
    The amperage from the rails fit the bill, and the only other way to measure a supply is by the output wattage and the cabling structure.
    The recommended Amperage on the +12V line for an 8800GTX is 30A, so um yeah, it might run on 24A, but if he's putting money into a computer he should buy a quality power supply with enough amperage.

And in case you didn't know, not all 550W psu's are created equal.