Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Semi New-- Gots some questions

JigaWatsJigaWats Member Posts: 4

Created a Ranger on NightFall.  I'm a first to GuildWars.  No Online fee is attractive, graphics/sound are kick a$$, story ok, I like so far.  I got a few questions that have been bugging me though. 

On my skills window (while in town) what are the little yellow arrows pointing up on my skill icons I put on my skill bar?  Sometimes there will be one or more.  Manuel doesn't say, and I don't remember reading anything on it in the beginning online commentaries.

2nd, With a Ranger we get these spirit skills that allow you to temporarily make 'Wind' spirits and so on.  WHAT IN THE WORLD DO THEY DO??  I created one in the heat of battle, and the son of gun just sat and watched us getting hammered? 

Also I just today got to level 20 which I believe is the cap on Nightfall.  I was reading somewhere about a 20 elite or something?  So with enough xp does my Ranger get to be elite?  Or is it just added armor or something?

What area is best to find a group to PVE?  I'm at 20 and havent grouped once.  Me and Koss have been kicking arse regardless though.

Last and most:  Where can I find an animal other then a PINK FLAMINGO???  In all my travels I've wanted to find a wild dog or tiger or something to be my Ranger companion.  But nothing but FLAMINGOS!!! I found a pig once in south/west ISTAN, I went to town and equiped my charm animal and went back to the same area, but the pig dissappeared.  No where to be found...  I'de rather get a dog or cat anyhow.

And just a note for beginners, NEVER use a cheap salvage kit for magical weapons!  I used one the other day just to see if I could get a good engraving off of a weapon cheap, and before even asking me if it was ok with a pop-up window, It salvaged my weapon into some wood planks and no magical stuff (Ahhhhhh!).

Thanks for any replys or even tips.  My screen name is Jack Haydees if you bump into me.  I'll prob be on GW2 in the future too.  Leave these 15 dollar a month makers to smell my azz.   I could see maybe 5 a month for maintanance/releases/bugs/fun stuff... but I pay less then 15 a month for my dial-up.

Comments

• Lonesamurai1Lonesamurai1 Member Posts: 1,210

Originally posted by JigaWats

Created a Ranger on NightFall.  I'm a first to GuildWars.  No Online fee is attractive, graphics/sound are kick a$$, story ok, I like so far.  I got a few questions that have been bugging me though. 
    On my skills window (while in town) what are the little yellow arrows pointing up on my skill icons I put on my skill bar?  Sometimes there will be one or more.  Manuel doesn't say, and I don't remember reading anything on it in the beginning online commentaries.
    They mean they are buff skills of one type or another, usually adding pips of regen to your health/energy bars
    2nd, With a Ranger we get these spirit skills that allow you to temporarily make 'Wind' spirits and so on.  WHAT IN THE WORLD DO THEY DO??  I created one in the heat of battle, and the son of gun just sat and watched us getting hammered? 
    Again, buffs, the spirits give out a buff radius and the skill description tells you what they do
    Also I just today got to level 20 which I believe is the cap on Nightfall.  I was reading somewhere about a 20 elite or something?  So with enough xp does my Ranger get to be elite?  Or is it just added armor or something?
    Nope, lvl 20 is the max for the whole of guild wars, although the leveling system is only a training tool and realy means nothing in game...  Elite though probably refers to what us veterans used to call 15k armour...   where each piece used to cost 15,000gold on top of the cost of materials (full 5 piece set would cost 75,000 plus materials), but the cost of these have now dropped since a change to all ingame armour about 6 months or so ago and now they cost around 10,000 compared to the 1,000gold of normal armour
    What area is best to find a group to PVE?  I'm at 20 and havent grouped once.  Me and Koss have been kicking arse regardless though.
    Don;t worry about a group until you get in Consulate Docks too much as the heroes will aid you better than most players on the starter island anyway...  however, you can only use 3 heroes at anyone time and when you get to 8 player areas, you need to make the rest of those numbers up with players or henchman (which are available in all the outposts)
    Last and most:  Where can I find an animal other then a PINK FLAMINGO???  In all my travels I've wanted to find a wild dog or tiger or something to be my Ranger companion.  But nothing but FLAMINGOS!!! I found a pig once in south/west ISTAN, I went to town and equiped my charm animal and went back to the same area, but the pig dissappeared.  No where to be found...  I'de rather get a dog or cat anyhow.
    There are lots of pets to be had in guildwars, but the only ones available ion the starter island of Nightfall are Pink Flamingo, Crocodile and a warthog...  however, for a list of all the different pets, check here:  http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Pets
    And just a note for beginners, NEVER use a cheap salvage kit for magical weapons!  I used one the other day just to see if I could get a good engraving off of a weapon cheap, and before even asking me if it was ok with a pop-up window, It salvaged my weapon into some wood planks and no magical stuff (Ahhhhhh!).
    you can only salvage mods of a weapon/item with an expert salvage kit and i believe it say that in the pop up for the salvage kit when you mouse over it in your inventory
    Thanks for any replys or even tips.  My screen name is Jack Haydees if you bump into me.  I'll prob be on GW2 in the future too.  Leave these 15 dollar a month makers to smell my azz.   I could see maybe 5 a month for maintanance/releases/bugs/fun stuff... but I pay less then 15 a month for my dial-up.

Hope that helped a bit, but have a good look at the wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Main_Page) for all the information you need about the game including armour, weapons (and how they are maxxed), etc...

Have fun and if you see my ingame, give me a holla:  Tyr Dominator

imageimage

• Originally posted by JigaWats

Ranger spirits are special.  They are a large area effect.  Could be a buff, could be some special effect like no resurrection.  But here is the really important part:  THEY EFFECT EVERYTHING including you and your enemies.
    So if you put a spirit that gives you bonus to Bows make sure you aren't fighting stuff with bows.  If you lay down the no rez spirit remember you can't be rezzed either.

Nightfall has a Hard mode on instances this might it.  The level cap in Guild Wars doesn't really mean much other than that you now have max attributes.  XP is for getting more skills and your major progression goals are advancing the story/quests and gaining more skills.
    The special armors just look different max armor is max armor.
    There are elite skills though.  You may only have one elite skill at a time.  but any level char may have an elite although you rarely get the chance to capture an elite skill before 20.
    Remember level 20 is really the beginning of GW.  More than 50% of the content is for level 20+.

I could list them all but instead I will tell you to goto GuildWars Wiki because they have a better list.  Suffice to say there are Tigers, bears, panthers, axebeaks, boars, crocodiles i think and others.  Some are very hard to get, for example the crocs get tamed by NPCs so you have to do special stuff.

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Animal

• lightbladelightblade Member Posts: 219

1) A yellow arrow pointing up indicate the skill is an Enchantment Spell skill type.  A purple arrow pointing down indicate the skill is a Hex Spell skill type.  These are used to quickly identify your status.  Inexperienced players relies a lot on this, while experienced players can just look at the icon and know what it is.

2) Ranger's Nature Ritual creates a spirit that buff or debuff ALL creatures within the spirit's range.  They don't attack or move.  You should read more carefully on the skill's description.

3) Elite usually refers to an Elite skill.  You can only have one such skill on your skill bar.  Except in a few special cases.  Elite can also refers to elite armor.  Elite armor's properties aren't not superior to normal armor.  They just have better looking skin (as in...it has more details on it).

4) Press 'P' and use the party search or just shout it out.

Lastly, please check the wiki before asking any question.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Originally posted by JigaWats

The little arrows in your skill window relate to your attributes. You can increase an attribute by clicking the "up" arrow and decrease it by clicking the "down" arrow. By doing this, you make your skills more powerful. To see what attribute a skill relates to, hover over it. It will tell you in brackets.

The spirits adds effects such as making your arrows travel faster etc. Hover over the skill and read its description to see what exactly it does.

The "Elite" you're talking about is regarding Elite skills. These are more powerful than normal skills, and captured from a defeated boss by using the Signet of Capture (purchaseable from a skill trainer) while next to its corpse.

Just ask in town for a group and you should find one. You can also try the Party Search feature by pressing "P" when in town.

Pet-wise, as you progress through through the continent, new regions will host new types of creatures. You shouldn't have to wait long now!

• JigaWatsJigaWats Member Posts: 4

Alright!  Thanks so much for all the info.  I put the WIKI in my favorites (especially for the animals part)  I'm thinking about trying to charm a Hyena when I jump on in a minute.  I've seen alot of people refer the WIKI which I havent used before now so I'll check that out before askin' questions that have prob been repeated :) .   Also it's a good thing I know that those spirits affect everything now.  I usually read those descriptions several times on the skill icons, but to be honest with you, I really don't know sometimes what some of the words mean in them.  Hopefully GW2 is a more 'action' based combat where it's not so much about clicking icons and stuff IMO...(like Oblivion, my fav. RPG so far).  I was more of a first-person shooter player but I'm starting to like these character based games now, where you get to sorta personalize stuff and really get into another world.  Thanks again for the answers, and may the sunspears preval!!

• endlesoneendlesone Member Posts: 109

oh and welcome to Guild Wars!!!!