Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

need help with PSU

devilsindevilsin Member Posts: 43

Im getting to ready to build a new computer but I have a question about how much power supply I will need. The case I got came with a 450W PSU so Im wondering if that is enough for:

Asus P5KE motherboard

Core 2 Duo e6850

Geforce 8800 GTX

2 GB DDR2 ram

+DVD drive, hardrive

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Oh hell no, never use a case PSU on nice hardware. They always burn out and take your hardware with it or something with it. They also are incredibly dirty power supplies, meaning the ripple is bad, the power going to the motherboard is not clean. I can't explain it all here without going into a big deal, and boring you but you want a good clean power supply thats around 75-80% efficient. Preferably a 500watt minimum. Although there are plently of 475 watt PSU that are good to. But your system really should have 500 watts minimum with a 12volt rail single 32amps or more, and for dual rails 18amps or higher on each.

Look on newegg.com for some good ones. I recomend you check the ratings out to help make your decision easier. Enermax Liberty is a nice one and so are any Seasonic or Fortron. Just make sure they are spec correctly. Spend no less then $80.

• devilsindevilsin Member Posts: 43

Well if I have to buy something, I'd rather not pay for shipping to Canada (does newegg even ship to canada?).

I was thinking of buying this 600W power supply from a local store:   http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974503&CatId=1483

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127
    Originally posted by devilsin

Well if I have to buy something, I'd rather not pay for shipping to Canada (does newegg even ship to canada?).
    I was thinking of buying this 600W power supply from a local store:   http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2974503&CatId=1483

Yeah, your out of luck for newegg. They don't ship to Canada. That PSU is not bad, I had built a couple family PC's midrange with a couple ultra xconnect PSU's for the looks and quality they provide. They are shiny and look great in a case with a window. I haven't heard of any problems with this PSU yet from the 2 family members I built with these. And for $50 from a original $88 price retail, you can't beat that.

• HoldMeHoldMe Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by bezado Oh hell no, never use a case PSU on nice hardware. They always burn out and take your hardware with it or something with it. They also are incredibly dirty power supplies, meaning the ripple is bad, the power going to the motherboard is not clean. I can't explain it all here without going into a big deal, and boring you but you want a good clean power supply thats around 75-80% efficient. Preferably a 500watt minimum. Although there are plently of 475 watt PSU that are good to. But your system really should have 500 watts minimum with a 12volt rail single 32amps or more, and for dual rails 18amps or higher on each. Look on newegg.com for some good ones. I recomend you check the ratings out to help make your decision easier. Enermax Liberty is a nice one and so are any Seasonic or Fortron. Just make sure they are spec correctly. Spend no less then $80.

Oh man it's so nice to see someone else here trying to stress the importance of a good PSU. I just see way too many people here going with low end single rail units, it makes you want to cringe.

Keep this in mind. The recommended PSU for a system running a dual core chip with a 8800 board is 550 watts. Thats just for the overall system to run well and not burn up your components or the power supply itself.

The current standard for a decent gaming system is no less than a 700W 4 rail (min requirement to SLI=650watt, haven't checked what the new 9800's will need). There are some 5 rails out there but I've had a hard time finding a nice one yet but the market is stack full of great 4 rail PSU's.

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

I wouldn't choose that PSU if I were you.

It's a first generation modular PSU, and the brand... Looks a bit shabby in my opinion. The cables are flat(stops airflow) and the fact that it is an unknown brand, sometimes the actual power output(in amps, not watts), are often pretty low on those cheap PSU's.

Go for Enermax or Antec imo and be sure it's 650watts.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Corsair makes pretty awesome psu's also.

D.

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

The highest quality PSU on the market is PC Power & Cooling. But they are expensive.  Expect to pay between $150-$200 for a 750W unit.