Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crafting Armor Idea

I've played a decent amount of MMOs in my time now, and one of the things I like doing best in games is crafting armor and tailoring clothes. I think keeping everyones look deverse as well as keeping crafters usefully busy are two key components to players immersion into a game.

So what if armor crafting was split into two sections. The look of the armor and the affect of the armor. You would still have some unigue pieces out there that were gained from loot, but for low to mid ranged armor it would give people the chance to some different looks but maintain quality. Maybe you like the way a low level piece of medium armor looks, but you've out grown it level wise?

Just a random idea.

Comments

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

bleh all armor should be crafted except for specialty stuff like faction uniforms.   you got the raid complete those 40 insane people all get to take home a couple of items the feathers, bones, and claws of a griffin are all very very useful.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

DAoC has exactly that sort of thing, as does EQ and WoW to some extent.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Originally posted by JagerMichael

I've played a decent amount of MMOs in my time now, and one of the things I like doing best in games is crafting armor and tailoring clothes. I think keeping everyones look deverse as well as keeping crafters usefully busy are two key components to players immersion into a game.
    So what if armor crafting was split into two sections. The look of the armor and the affect of the armor. You would still have some unigue pieces out there that were gained from loot, but for low to mid ranged armor it would give people the chance to some different looks but maintain quality. Maybe you like the way a low level piece of medium armor looks, but you've out grown it level wise?
    Just a random idea.
    I'm with you as i really enjoy the crafting part of a game.IMO it is really tough to make a real diverse crafting system,without making it into a real big time sync.I will applaud the first developer that puts on there thinking caps and comes up with some real unique ideas to crafting.

I think crafting is sorta like PVP in MMORPG's right now,there there but not really the main focus.It  will take some more time i am afraid ,just because the timeframe to develope a game is so long.This is far worse when developers develope there own game engine.

I would much rather devs spend more time in the crafting development ,than on PVP aspects of a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• 28days28days Member Posts: 213

no one playes games to craft things.. Well actually... Second Life...

• JagerMichaelJagerMichael Member Posts: 181

Originally posted by 28days

no one playes games to craft things.. Well actually... Second Life...
    Pretty sure you couldn't be more wrong there. Thanks for coming out though.
  • XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Few people who play MMO's like to spend most of their time crafting, it's boring. All of the MMO's that have focused on crafting almost to the exclusion of everything have bombed. Take a look at Horizons [99% dead], Seed (no combat at all) [dead after a few months].

I think anything that makes crafting more worthwhile or indeed lucrative, but without being boring/repetitive is welcomed.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• GodliestGodliest Member Posts: 3,486

Originally posted by 28days
    no one playes games to craft things.. Well actually... Second Life...

Moneycrafting and Sexcrafting are the stuff you do in Second Life.

• JagerMichaelJagerMichael Member Posts: 181

I'm not saying that the game has to be crafting focussed, but to say few people enjoy a good crafting system is laughable. Plenty of people like the crafting in games like SWG and Vangaurd.

Adding a solid player economy and usefullness of crafter items makes it even more appealing to people. In SWG you didn't really find many weapon or armor drops that you could just thrown on. You got drops for items that could be used in crafting to make things better.

You could also setup actual shops in your houses rather than using the auction house. This creates a sense of customer and provider between players only increasing the strength of the player base and community. You find crafters that you like and can count on and you take all of your business to them.

Crafting adds a whole other dynamic to MMOs, and helps increase the life of MMOs and shouldnt be cut short by any means.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

I agree, I feel that you should be able to modify the look of armor and clothing with out changing its properties. Neverwinter nights has something like this, you can add shoulder pads and such depending on your skill. This is very limited though and would have to be greatly expanded in a MMO to be viable.

• aerogradaerograd Member Posts: 53

SWG, UO, Vanguard, EVE, and several other MMOs are full of players whose main focus IS on crafting and resource gathering.   They are far more than a just few % of the population.  On UO almost everyone I knew had at least one GM crafter and many had several GM crafters of various disciplines.  I certainly have known far more players in SWG and Vanguard who craft regularly than those who don't craft at all or only rarely craft.  Most MMO players know that the real money is in crafting, harvesting, and real estate (for those games where it is a viable profession).  Add to that the clamour from players for better (more stable) in-game economies and more focus on player crafted loot (rather than the superiority of mob loot drops like we have now).  That makes me think we'll see more and more crafting/harvesting types as MMOs continue over the next decade.    Which is a good thing because crafting helps build the community, stabilize the economy, and encourages player interaction and cooperation.  That in turn increases the immersion of a game and that is what MMORPGs are all about - feeling like you're really in a virtual, living world.  Oh and I'm all for improving crafting where ever possible too.  In my opinion, crafting is at least as important to a healthy MMORPG than a "good" (well at least as good as combat can be in a MMORPG) combat system is. 

Playing WoT now.

Favorite All-Time Games: Ultima Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Lord of the Rings Online