Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Fury Player as of 1/05/08. Give it a Chance, here is why...

lunoxlunox Member Posts: 6

I'm another one of your burnout WoW players hunting through Various MMO's right now for something entertaining.  Usually I come to mmorpg when I'm stuck in this phase and as a result, I have ended up playing almost every f2p game out there.

So this time about I read up on fury and actually decided to try it because of how much everyone bashed it.  (Another one of my hobbies is playing poorly designed games so I can laugh at how epically the developers have failed.)

The first thing you will notice off the bat is that the engine is not optimized.  If you don't have a beast machine then bank on turning all your graphic settings to minimal and still having a 30 second to 1 1/2 minute load time between your pvp matches.  

Yes, this sucks. 

Yes, sometimes you miss the beginning of matches. 

Yes, you WILL cry about it.

With that said understand that I found these issues to be surmountable by one simple fact - Best PvP combat on the market. 

Pretty bold statement.  But allow me to elaborate...

The skill system utilized in this game takes the best aspects of all mmo pvp games and integrates them into one combat system.  You have ranged classes and melee classes, roots, snares, charges, interrupts, buffs, debuffs, large damage classes, healing classes, interrupt / silence classes, mitigation and resistance buffs, mitigation and resistance debuffs.

You can take all of these abilities, mix and match them and are then required to balance the number of your skills (and their potency) and the quality of gear you want to use against a fixed equipment value.  This means that people who have every ability in the game and ridiculous gear still have to balance themselves against people who have jack and shit.

Additionally after balancing your own character you have to learn how to use it properly in solo and in team environments.  What I love is that you have 8 presets that instantly switch out your ability and equipment choices.  So I can have a solo dps build, a group dps build, a group healer etc...

What you will notice in this game, if you decide to try it, is that an organized clan team that balances their abilities will completely crush pugs because of pure strategy, not because of gear.  Hence the Fury’s strongest selling point of ‘skilled’ game play.  

The plain and simple fact is that this game is built for the thinking mans version of a twitch gamer.  If you enjoy fast action and having to make fast paced tactical decisions using movement and ability game mechanics, you will love this game for its style of play and hate it for all the ways it makes you wait in-between matches.  What will make the game even more enjoyable is having a group of competent players by your side backing you up.  This is generally where all the nay say over being slaughtered as a noobie comes from.  The skill discrepancy coupled with teamwork can be very intimidating for new players, especially the QQ I want EZ mode pvp type. 

Does this appeal to a large market?  No.  

If you've ever played a pvp mmo you will know that all the people who cry the most are the people who suck at understanding game mechanics and using fast paced strategy.  The learning curve in this game is steep just like every other review in this forum mentions.  But just like any game with a steep learning curve it is balanced by the fact that you are compensated with variety and strategy (as far as character builds are concerned). 

I think Fury is a prime example of a niche market game.  It is for the people who compete on the pvp ladders of all those other MMO's out there; the old school High Warlords of WoW or the asshat in Shadowbane who goes around pking noobs.  It is the quintessential symphony of pvp that the hardcore gamers of the world have sought for years - a game that rewards you for using complicated game mechanics in fast paced game play. 

Is it worth playing for free?  Yes. 

Do they screw you over by playing for free compared to paying?  Yes.  

People who pay the $20 gain new abilities and money waaaay faster.  Playing for free means you have a slow slow slow grind ahead of you as far as acquiring more strategic abilities in the game goes.  But let it be said that this isn't game breaking.  I currently play in a 4v4 ranked in the top 20 and I am still a free to play player (though my teammates all paid).  Also the advantage to slower progression is that as you gain new abilities you will actually have enough matches to test them out before you unlock new ones allowing you time to adjust.  Though in the beginning you usually only open up abilities that work best in conjunction with abilities you unlock later, but such is life.

In closing I just want to say that I am enjoying my free time in fury. I wish they had more match types.  I wish they had more level variety.  I wish the friggin matches would load in under 30 seconds.

But then again I also wish I had millions of dollars and a monster cock.  So what else can I say?

Hit me up in game if you decide to check it out.

Fury toon - Feromar

-Lunox

*Edited for my terrible Grammar and date mistake.

Comments

• TH1RSTYTH1RSTY Member Posts: 20

I would have to agree 100% with everything you said here.  I am also very new to the game although after a few hours I convinced myself to log out for a few mins to buy it really quick. 

Hopefully the f2p will continue to bring in even more people and they will continue to add to this game.  They could easily keep it fresh with added maps or gametypes every now and then.  Newer gear would be nice to have something to still earn after you have bought everything there is.

This game really seems to have a good idea to balance gear/OP skills for pvp and people should deffinatly try it out.

A big reason I think there is a lack of community support is because this isn't a game you can play while alt tabbing out to post on the forums like most mmo's and as of now the offical forums are down and people really don't have a good place to go to post.

• zollenzollen Member Posts: 351

I never seen existing game players begging others to give a game a chance....

• lunoxlunox Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by zollen

I never seen existing game players begging others to give a game a chance....

The only reason I felt the need to post this was because after I read the forums here it gave the distinct impression that the game wasn't worth it and I disagree.

I for one want more people to play this game because more players means faster queue times and more money for the developers which in turn results in critical game updates that attend to the things I've addressed. 

-Lunox

• A55A5INA55A5IN Member Posts: 175

Thanks for posting Lunox, very well put. I agree mostly with what you said.

Existing players don't post here because there are hordes of people who feel Fury doesn't belong here just waiting to jump on every thread and put the game down.

Fury has its faults like every game but it is without a doubt one of the most intense PVP games I have ever played.

• taramirtaramir Member UncommonPosts: 74

How did you start playing this on January 5th 2007? If the game was launched a year ago the servers would be shut down by now.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

I'm not sure what rock you've been living under but the game is not even close to being a year old.

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Fury does suck a part from the issues you state.. whe i tryed it there were so many things missing ie. sound effects... ok when i swing a sword and hit someone it should make a sound.. the sound in the game alone is so jacked up its not worth it

One hour in and the forum trolls have arrived.  Sweet!  I'm bored at work so I might as well go down the standard forum troll checklist as they come in.

So far we have someone that has taken my error in typing 07 for the year instead of 08 too seriously. 

ZOMG TYPING ERROR  Troll

Check!

Next we have someone who played an earlier build of the game that had an ability sound error and ties this corrected error in to a point for never trying the game.

LAWL I PLAYED BETA AND IT SUCKS  Troll

Check!

I guess it would be too much to ask to have a competent discussion here so we might as well be entertaining.

• Sanctus_MorsSanctus_Mors Member Posts: 597

Originally posted by lunox

One hour in and the forum trolls have arrived.  Sweet!  I'm bored at work so I might as well go down the standard forum troll checklist as they come in.
    So far we have someone that has taken my error in typing 07 for the year instead of 08 too seriously. 

ZOMG TYPING ERROR  Troll
    Check!

Next we have someone who played an earlier build of the game that had an ability sound error and ties this corrected error in to a point for never trying the game.

LAWL I PLAYED BETA AND IT SUCKS  Troll
    Check!

I guess it would be too much to ask to have a competent discussion here so we might as well be entertaining.

Oh, Oh, I want to play the troll game.....hmmm how about the Conspiracy  Troll?

You've only got 3 post to your name, all in the same thread...you must be a plant by some viral marketing bot! That's been a sleeper agent since 2005!

The combat looks like it would be on par with Guild Wars. Although I understand you have a type of synergy between miner powers that build up power and then big powers that use em up, right?

your arguement is so persuasive, so filled with knowledge and insight. You back up your argument very articulately, with suggestions of improvements and raising examples to glorify your position....oh wait, you didn't

• FutballerFutballer Member Posts: 19

Very well said Mr. Lunox.  Had my attention from the start.  I agree completely that this game is not going to appeal to a global market.  The market that Fury has to work with is extremely small.  This game is frustrating, just makes you want to throw out $#%^#@'s all over the place.  If you're that competitve of a person, then this game is totally for you.  Hope to beat your ass in a 1v1 someday as well, name is the same (Futballer). 

• MatriarcheXMatriarcheX Member Posts: 159

Absolute perfection. Someone should sticky this. You've captured pretty much everything

that makes this game worth playing Lunox. Kudos :)

This game is very refreshing for those of us who are tired of the 'cookie cutter' mmo, grinding and apathetic pve. Not many F2P pvp games like this out there, not with this much detail.

Its rather unique.

p.s I remember getting beat by you lol

• FuhyoFuhyo Member Posts: 66

IMO, it's silly to support a game from a developer that went out of business.

Subotai

Originally posted by A55A5IN

Originally posted by corza334

Yea.. Didnt take an hour =P But i was just reading http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16623
    It has been abondoned, but there is a small chance the team will be reconstructed. I think the volunteer's are doing a good job at the moment. Its a real shame, I wish more people could have viewed the game the way i did =/
    But anyway, Im not going to abandon ship just cause the dev's did! >=D About to go play somemore, those ladders are addictive... though i cant quite work out the Clan ladder score algorythm.. its really wierd.
    I wish people would stop speculating and misquoting stuff.

The game hasn't been abandoned. A part of Auran went bust and some staff were let go.

Auran does not only deal with Fury. That part of Auran that went bust does not affect Fury.

In fact they are now able to focus on the game more due to having evened out their debts according to Bossmans last post.

Duh! they didn't go out of business... get your facts straight or at least learn how to read .

Sanctus_Morsm,

Now that is a good troll.  My sleeper agent cover has been blown! 

Yeah I joined this site a looong time ago but never really posted because I figured it was mostly trolls anyway.  I think I just felt the need this time because the actual Fury forums are nil at the moment.

On another note: The Charge system is designed to prevent you from making those UBER powerful ability combos that would be unbalanced.  It was pretty well thought out (though their may still be some tweaking needed) But charge manipulation is what adds a whole new dimension to pvp and essentially puts this game ahead of others when it comes to using strategy. 

Athenae,

Fear Overlord builds!

Futballer,

I'll try and con you into a 1v1 next time we are both on.  If you beat me though I'm going to cry endlessly, quit the game, then flame it on this very same thread. 

Cheers,

Lunox

Haha Lunox! funny stuff! I'm an overlord... kinda started out that way and ended up as a defiler lol Defilers need a death move too! lol

find me in-game! i want a rematch too! :)

• FutballerFutballer Member Posts: 19

o its on ><

• confuznconfuzn Member Posts: 15

hey yeah im new to this site but i saw this forum and ive been wantin to check fury out.. u got me convinced so im DLing it right now

• zaltarzaltar Member UncommonPosts: 125

Nice thread lunox ,  IMHO Fury is the best pvp game on the market period.  And whatever input is given to them at this point to improve the game is according to Tony , being taken into careful consideration. I wish there was no combat fatigue , HP power ups ,and longer matches on open maps without timers also but thats just me . You will never hear rants about class imbalance in fury because there are none , you can be anything you want .

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Originally posted by Fuhyo

IMO, it's silly to support a game from a developer that went out of business.
    Subotai

Actually Auran didn't in fact go out of business, they just downsized a lot. I asked one of the customer service representatives about this because i heard the same thing, and he told me they fired a bunch of people (Around 70) but still have an active team working on fury, that is not volunteer like everyone seems to think.

I found this game a week ago, and i have been playing it a ton, its an awesome game, seems they have a couple bugs they should fix (Like my friend pulling out a healer weapon during battle and using the highest rank heal, while he is a dps class with no heal abilities normally) but other then the bugs its great, no wait times hardly except occasional BB wait times but those don't really matter.

• sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170

great post but u forgot to mention the one thing really skill wise that needs hard twinking and that speed. right now as far as i know there isnt a speed cap and roots dont last long enough and also people becoem resistant to them. so u see some games peole go +80-90% speed and with just regular accelrate u never catch them and they kill u easy

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Well, based off this thread, I started playing Fury.

I have to say, this was one of the more difficult games to get.  The download kept going away, then I couldn't get on the site to get a key.  The game required me to change some services (couldn't do it automatically).  But finally got in game. . .

First, I have a decent computer.  I play Crysis on Med/High settings. (3.0 GHZ Core Duo, 8800 GTX, 4gb Ram, X-Fi).  This game puts more strain on my system (DX 10 most settings on Medish) than Crysis or LotRO, and does not look nearly as pretty.  Lag was also a slight issue, but I am changing ISPs this weekend (not only game having problems).

So, game needs some polish, has a ways to go for optimizations is an understatement.

I had a lot of fun playing though.  And I loved the skill system.  I'll have to do a writeup later on about that, as I have not heard anyone describe it the way it is.

So, I decided to buy it, that and the immortal for life thing going on right now.  And run into more problems getting through the web sites!!  But I have upgraded now, and am enjoying this game.  I don't think I would have paid $50 for it, but $20 or even $30 seems to be about right.  Thanks OP.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

Nice someone else who started playing!

Alright yeah i know what you mean about the optimization thing, i cant even run it past high settings on the low renderer i cant figure it out either. I can run crysis at med, but this game at lower but w/e its the play style and amount of fun you get out of it that matters.

• zaltarzaltar Member UncommonPosts: 125
    Originally posted by sidfu

great post but u forgot to mention the one thing really skill wise that needs hard twinking and that speed. right now as far as i know there isnt a speed cap and roots dont last long enough and also people becoem resistant to them. so u see some games peole go +80-90% speed and with just regular accelrate u never catch them and they kill u easy

As you progress in the game you will learn that there are skills that can slow runners up to 35% , you can use Dragnet and pull them to you  as they try and escape ,  Raid will rush you to them and hit them creating slowing , theres lull ,sleep , stunn ,freeze and many others. Everything in this game can be countered and recountered and countered again with a  vast amount of variables . It really takes time to figure out how to counter the next trick someone has up their sleeve .  Just when I figure out how to deal with skills that keep you from healing I have to turn around and deal with some form of charge manipulation or ground effect . Keep at it and you will discover many things to add to your arsenol . I know what you mean , I spend 75 % of my time dealing with runners  and they allways go for the HP power ups which I find annoying .

• A55A5INA55A5IN Member Posts: 175

Originally posted by maddbomber83

Well, based off this thread, I started playing Fury.
    I have to say, this was one of the more difficult games to get.  The download kept going away, then I couldn't get on the site to get a key.  The game required me to change some services (couldn't do it automatically).  But finally got in game. . .
    First, I have a decent computer.  I play Crysis on Med/High settings. (3.0 GHZ Core Duo, 8800 GTX, 4gb Ram, X-Fi).  This game puts more strain on my system (DX 10 most settings on Medish) than Crysis or LotRO, and does not look nearly as pretty.  Lag was also a slight issue, but I am changing ISPs this weekend (not only game having problems).
    So, game needs some polish, has a ways to go for optimizations is an understatement.
    I had a lot of fun playing though.  And I loved the skill system.  I'll have to do a writeup later on about that, as I have not heard anyone describe it the way it is.
    So, I decided to buy it, that and the immortal for life thing going on right now.  And run into more problems getting through the web sites!!  But I have upgraded now, and am enjoying this game.  I don't think I would have paid $50 for it, but $20 or even $30 seems to be about right.  Thanks OP.

Welcome.

Sure the game needs more optimisation and code tweaking, I'm not saying its not at fault but heres a couple of tips for you in the meantime.

First off, sounds like you're running a version of VIsta (4Gb Ram & Dx10 was the clue). Whilst it will run, it does actually run poorer than in XP due to the Vista system resources drain. But it will run as you have noticed.

One thing tho, I wouldn't reccommend running the game in Dx10 just yet. For me, the gain in visuals (debatable) is not worth the extra system lag. Dx9 looks cool enough tbh.

You can switch to a Dx9 version via the options menu interface.

Due to the games competitive nature (lag=death), you really want to optimise your setup as much as possible to get the most enjoyment out of it.

I actually went from a indoor locked wi-fi connection to a solid direct LAN connection to improve my connectivity.

Shut down any programs likely to interfere or hog valuable resources in the background.

Turn off the Bloom effects when fighting if you are still experiencing lag.

Hope some of this helps.