Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Solid EQ2 vs WoW discussion

Ok, I dont want to hear crap like EQ2 will be all graphics or WoW is for kiddies. I want to hear reasons why you pick one game over the other. This isnt for arguing, Just say why you pick one over the other! I'm just currious and all the posts about this is people being dumb, there are some logical posts but im just interested in real answers

I know your sick of this topic but stick with me here!

Playing: Vanguard SoH
Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

Comments

• MegaWolfMegaWolf Member Posts: 425
    I just wanna get started here by saying that in my oppinion EQ2 looks better because sony made the game so alive. With talking NPCs and all. But each game has its perks and i dont know much about the others to be able to say anything. Im not the kind that will put a game down just because i support another.

Playing: Vanguard SoH
    Played: EQ, Planetside, SWG, WoW, EQ2

• fahkinsupahfahkinsupah Member Posts: 5

I will go with EQ2. why?

- the graphics in WoW do not appeal to me at all, too much comic like

- I trust SOE more to create a proper rpg environment. they have the advantage of running EQ for a good while now, this experience is invaluable.

I will not say WoW is for kiddies, as EQ2 might be for kiddies too...well, we will see image

• |MaguS||MaguS| Member Posts: 317

Guild Wars should be removed from the poll since it is not a MMORPG. As for which one I think is better? I think EQ2 is better mainly because it isn't a complete rehash of everythomg out there and they are going directions few have even thought to go, such as only 2 beginning cities and the ability to actually hear NPCs. Oh and the dynamic and on going storyline that many people already know is a plus.

The graphics are also a big draw since we are able to see alot more detail in whats going on and will keep people attrached to the game since the great engine will offer more freedom to the artists..

And im just an EQ whore... after 5 years of EQ1... Im ready to see what will happen to Norrath.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

All though I have a good enough computer to play EverQuest 2, I believe I'm going to play World of Warcraft mainly.  I say mainly because I will try both games...  I've been a big fan of Blizzard, so I guess being loyal to their company helps a little.

I... well now that I think of it.  I do like both games, but there are a few things that irk me about World of Warcraft...  This whole "rest" system is bogus.  This game is made for the "casual" player as I know EQ2 will be for the hardcore uber phat 15 hour a day player.

I'm just going to say... [as I change my mind faster then the wind blows...] 

Give me six months, then I'll pick.

What will he do next?
  • _belial_belial Member Posts: 158

Yet another EQ2 v WoW thread, I wonder how many posts there have been devoted to this exact same subject now!

I'm sure both will have their strengths and weaknesses, why does one have to "win"? I'm sure there'll be blizzard fanboys and SOE haters who'll just vote WoW anyway as there'll be EQ1 fanboys who'll just vote eq2 for the sake it.

Personally i'll try both out, as i'm sure a lot of people will, personally i'm looking forwrad to eq2 more than WoW but that doesn't mean I think it's going to be better than WoW just that I had such a pleasant time playing EQ1.

I'm sure everyone will chop + change their opinions plenty more times by the time the games are out and i'm sure there'll be 100 more polls on EQ2 v WoW by then too :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : anything to keep me occupied until EQ2 comes out :)

// Carl

Currently Playing : EQ2 of course

• zensaberzensaber Member UncommonPosts: 787

as well as me i will have to go with EQ2 for some reasons. Not only does sony have experince and money to make a really good game they have tons of players to come to it as WoW would be the first MMORPG from Blizzard. We all rember FFXI? good solid one player game crap MMORPGs trust me, i found shadowbane better than FFXI even with the bad grahics.

• l)ark_Knightl)ark_Knight Member Posts: 53

i pick WoW as the winning rpg, but my opinion may be baised because im such a huge blizzard fan

one of the reasons i picked WoW was the storyline. sure, eq2 might have more experience on mmorpgs, but blizzard definately knows how to tell a good story. even if eq2 does have more experience in mmorpgs in particular, must we forget blizzard's rpg succesess *chough*, diablo I and II.

another reason i picked WoW over eq2 was the animation style. sure, eq2 is definately more realistic, but WoW has a certain flair that i haven't seen in any of the eq2 pics to date, and allows for much more expression or mood setting than eq2's

the last reason i picked WoW over eq2 is the variety. there may be many more races in eq2, but only to my knowledge two places where you can recieve quests. from my reading of the quest system in WoW, it is throughly more extensive than eq2's. the locales minus the cities vary to the same extent, but the main thing that stands out to me in WoW is the crafting system. to date (correct me if i'm wrong) there is no mention of a crafting system in eq2, and it really sounds cool to be able to make your own weapons, armour, potions, and whatnot, plus it also adds the element of hunting down recipes for new items to make, another thing to do.

while they both have their flaws, they are both excellent games, and you should buy at least one of them in the next six months to try them out.

L)ark_Knight

"its always wise when you get angry at someone my son, to take a walk in thier shoes for one mile, that way, when they come to get you, you are a mile away and have their shoes" ~ Miagi (karate kid's handbook)

• TrytoneTrytone Member Posts: 87

In all honesty, I believe that WoW will deliver a more involving gaming experience. By this I mean that there is far more freedom as though you were playing an another real world (which has already been established very well by its RTS predecessors). In WoW you are living in a time of trouble between two factions, the horde and the alliance, and the best part is that the way it is set up by Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, neither of them are good or evil.

In WoW the graphics may not compare from a realism standpoint to EQ2, but you cannot ignore the artistic approach to the environments (yes cartoons can be artistic, just read Calvin and Hobbes).

As for the engaging gameplay, I don't care much for the idea of a locked encounter, I'd rather have someone come in and steal my camp and have the right to roleplay that I was going to hunt him down and take revenge on his children's children (maybe not to that extent but you get the picture). Encounters aren't locked in the real world and they shouldn't be, thats just (and i'm not bashing them) EQ2's way of making its previous players feel more comfortable camping mobs. Hopefully with the interesting, plot involved quest system in WoW there will be no need for camping mobs (though i'm sure it will be an option).

I wont bash on this thread as it is not intended for it, but I believe that WoW will be cheaper to play and keep up to date than EQ2.

Those are my two cents!

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Right now i'd have to go with EverQuest II. Since they are building off of the most sucessful North American MMORPG which will be more; casual player friendly, way more immersion, more detail in enviroment levels, plenty of content, thought out quests, dynamic storyline, hundreds of weapons/armor, customizable player housing, I will definitley be checking out this game.

Playing: City of Heroes/ Dark Age of Camelot
    Upcoming: EverQuest II

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • RandumassRandumass Member Posts: 100

I will probably be picking WoW beacause like the whole story line to warcraft and have been following it from the start. I have also been a big blizzard fan, playing starcraft and diablo and i have liked all their games so far and i don't think this one will dissapoint me.

But i might just look into eq2 it looks intresting even though i've only heard about.

Just my 2 cents!

-Randumass-

• SheepGoBahSheepGoBah Member Posts: 63

Talking NPC's. So overrated. What a waste of time to hear some voice talk. Don't care, I have better things to do.

WoW will housing. It will have auction houses. Not only can you pick skills, you can pick other talents such as mining, skinning, leatherworking. With your talents you can craft and make things depending on what you have. That is sweet. There are 6 different races, each with 5-6 classes to choose from.

Horde vs. Alliance - It's nice to get together with a bunch of other faction players on your side and raid the opposing faction's cities.

Can't wait for WoW.

The sheep in the meadow go bah.

----------------------------------------------
    The sheep in the meadow go bah.

• ThuleThule Member UncommonPosts: 13

WoW. Why?

EverQuest 2 should be renamed EverLessQuestsThanWoW. Sony is going to fail in this MMORPG, just like they did with SWG. World of WarCraft already has MORE quests than EverQuest 1 does.

There are more things to do in WoW.

There will be less bugs in WoW. (Can anyone say Post-Release SWG Beta 4? :P )

Many many high end guilds from EverQuest (Afterlife, FoH, etc) have left EverQuest because they claim WoW in beta is already a much more complete game than EverQuest is.

Sony has gone down the pits, will not produce a respectable game, and frankly, their respect from me has gone to zero after I found out their customer service is non existant.

Blizzard has been successful with all of its well completed games. I could go on and on, but here I will stop. (Oh yeah, can anyone say LAG central on raids with those kinds of graphics? WoW looks far better and is not nearly as consuming.)

• Evil_EricEvil_Eric Member Posts: 19

I will have to say that I have not played eq1 or any wc games but plan to try bith eq2 and wow.
    From doing my research and reading what others have had to say, it seems like wow will be more fast paced and rely more on other players whereas eq2 will be more of a "do your own thing" game. I will say that if you switched eq2s graphics with wow's graphics, nobody would play eq2 and everyone would play wow. I think eq2 will have an advantage because they will have more money and experience and they will keep more up to date. Im not a big fan of cartoonie graphics and more into doing my own thing in games anyway.

EQII has my vote.

Pssst, your shoes are untied.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

Sorry if this post is redundant, had some scripting issues becaus of my crappy connection.

My personal fav: GuildWars (not MMORPG IMHO, since concurrent combat/exploration beyond 10 people is NOT possible, this will also lead to boredom for those (such as myself) that need more than pvp and mission based gameplay once in a while).

EQ2: I lost all confidence after EQ, since the grind was intolerable (it was so bad that I never even made it to lvl 10). Partial reason why EQ playerbase was so high was because of it's lack of competition and the elastic demand curves for people that require online social interaction (playerbase just accrued more and more players that couldn't leave because they had personal connections).

So EQ has really made me have my doubts about it's successor.

I voted for WoW, Why?: Every blizzard product that I have purchased was of immaculate quality. From d to SC to d2 to wc3, every blizzard product has proven that it is virtually flawless (in terms of programming) and extremely enjoyable.

Also I have seen demos of the gameplay, and it reminds me of a mix between secret of man and AO, which seems very enjoyable.

The graphics were spectacular (which seems to hold true for EQ2 as well), but the requirements for WoW (as opposed to EQ2) are much lower and therefore more appealing to somebody (like me) that doesn't like to upgrade their computer within the period of 3 years because of ONE game (please correct me if I am wrong in terms of requirements).

My pet peeves => WoW:

1. Limited selection of classes and the many restrictions on classes because of race.

2. Heard the lvl cap was 60 (meaning either the rest system is going to be extreme or there is going to be a VICIOUS grind)

3. Small play world? At least from what I have seen, WoW seems to be a wee bit smaller than brand names such as EQ etc.

If WoW turns out to have a grind I'm going to stick with GW and umm pray that the extreme increase in competition will force the industry to improve their content.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say 'ni' at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred."
    MP

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• VipermmxVipermmx Member Posts: 96

Thats funny. Im in the WOW beta and find nothing great about it. Besides dull gameplay and cartoon graphics. I was HOPING WoW would change my mind once I got in beta. Nope. Ill stick with EQ2 it OFFERS alot more then WoW.

WOW quests are BORING!! Thats all there is to do! Quest this and that. No real cool Dungeons or monsters to fight. Nothing special! EQ2 voices may sound like a stupid feature but it adds ALOT to the feel of the world....saying its stupid is not cool.

Id take voices and depth of story over cartooney and quesworld WoW.

Quests get old as hell after so many. Plus wheres the cool dungeons i know will be in EQ2.

• DrakaeonDrakaeon Member Posts: 630

Let me start with World of Warcraft. WoW will be a good game. It already seems to have a lot of players who are very excited to be playing/can't wait to play the game. It does seem to have a lot of options and I am a big Blizzard fan... playing all the Warcrafts and Starcraft (I even sometimes jump on to this day). They have an absolutely excellent team and probably will do quite well.

Everquest II is respectable. I would have to say their graphics and versatility have impressed me already. I am not a big fan of Sony, but Everquest has its fans, and many will play. The big part of this game would definitely be its versatility. Many more options then I believe WoW will have (even though I would go the linear Dark Elf assassin class if it were me... because I am an assassin in every game... *shrug*).

Now, which game will I play? Neither. I will be playing Guild Wars, without a doubt in my mind. Why? I know most of you are thinking, "Another person who hates monthly fees." Do you know what? You are absolutely right. Monthly fees are insignificant, especially to the level they have come to today. $15/month for a game, not to mention $50 for the game. In my opinion... this is way overpriced. Don't give me this crap, "But drak!!!! they need the money to run the servers u n00b!!" Yes, they do need the money to run the servers. However, they do not need $15/month from every player to run the server. That is called "Me wan be rich so me charge big $$$."

Now, that can't possibly be the only reason I will play Guild Wars is it? Not at all. First, let me tell you the reasons why I will not be playing WoW or Everquest II.

WoW first. Not my style of gaming. It looks great, graphics wise and skill wise... but I just don't get any feeling when I think about it... and to me, it is bland.

Everquest II, no. Why? No PvP from the start. However, that is not the only reason. Sometimes I like to solo. Everquest I did not allow that. They say ever class in EQII can solo, I don't believe it. Back to the no PvP from the start thing. I don't want to be all hyped for this game... then play and waste time because if a PvP server comes out, I will switch to it, making my old characters obsolete and a waste of time. Not what I like.

Now Guild Wars. Absolutely doobly boobly I will play this. No monthly fees, PvP, solo areas, MMO (I know this is obvious, but I didn't like NVN due to it not being really MMO), no "Kill the same monster 12,000 times to level once" due to mission based leveling, interesting skills, interesting classes, dual classes, and PvP system based on skill rather than play time. Now some might be thinking, "WTF DO OYOU MEAN SKILL!!!!" I mean s-k-i-l-l. In this game, those who do nothing but play all day and get the "best" items, etc, etc. do not succeed (unless they are real good... then they do). For a better example, lets say someone is playing a Ranger/Necromancer and is at max level with awesome equipment and good skill layouts. Another Ranger/Necromancer comes along 10 levels lower with decent equipment and pretty good skill layout. Lets say the max level, now knows as "A" isn't very skillful with his class. The 10 level lower guy is very very good at controling his character, he is known as "B." A fights B. A uses his skills and armor to his advantage, but B still wins because he knows how to use his character betters, and overpowers him in the end. I love this prospect...

That is my post, sorry to those who read it and thought it was a waste of time. Just my two cents.

Waiting for Guild Wars XD

• GenjingGenjing Member Posts: 441

Originally posted by SheepGoBah
    Talking NPC's. So overrated. What a waste of time to hear some voice talk. Don't care, I have better things to do.
    WoW will housing. It will have auction houses. Not only can you pick skills, you can pick other talents such as mining, skinning, leatherworking. With your talents you can craft and make things depending on what you have. That is sweet. There are 6 different races, each with 5-6 classes to choose from.
    Horde vs. Alliance - It's nice to get together with a bunch of other faction players on your side and raid the opposing faction's cities.
    Can't wait for WoW. The sheep in the meadow go bah.

WoW is going to be good because it has crafting, housing, classes and quests? ::::12::

As for EQ2... i hope for their own sake its nothing like EQ1 because that game is abysmal

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

There is no need, in any way whatsoever, to pit one game against the other. Enjoy them both. This is not a contest.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

"As for EQ2... i hope for their own sake its nothing like EQ1 because that game is abysmal"

Amen. And actually that is the reason why I have so minimal interest in EQ2. Until it can be proven that its VERY different from EQ1, I will focus on WoW instead.

--------------------------------------
    Played: AC1, DAoC, E&B, SWG
    Tested: AC1, AC2, DAoC, Eve, Planetside, Rubies, Lineage 2

• SlothmanSlothman Member Posts: 20
    I followed WoW more closely than EQ2 so I'm leaning toward WoW. I think Blizzard's quest driven design is a strong step forward for MMOGs. Instead of driving players to level, they are driving them to complete quests. Which means you won't see people just grouping or soloing to grind out XP. You can do alot more with a story driven gameplay enviornment than just a "get the next level" reward system.

Slothman's Home Tree

---------------------------------------------
    I need more Cow Bell!
    Slothman's Home Tree

• Meat_ShieldMeat_Shield Member Posts: 9

I think that WOW will be much better than EQ 2, I mean EQ has got some upsides to it, such as graphics and hmm dunno gotta think about it, but I like WOW better, Ive been paying close attention too the WOW sites and I think that it will be far superior, hmm dunno if Everquest 2 is anything like Everquest than I already know whats gonna happen and I have nothing to look forward to from that game, at least WOW is going to give me something to look forward too

/b lvl 45 Ranger EQ,
    /b lvl 30 Paladin DAOC,
    /b Rodian master CH SWG,
    /b Some guy E+B

/b lvl 45 Ranger EQ,
    /b lvl 30 Paladin DAOC,
    /b Rodian master CH SWG,
    /b Some guy E+B (Earth & Beyond)

• OracleP4OracleP4 Member Posts: 495
    I am definitely looking forward to WOW a lot more then EQ2.  For one thing I have had many good experiences with numerous Blizzard games, while both SOE games I have ever played really sucked in my opinion and I hated them after a little while. So that has definitely influenced my decision image

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

CoH: Level 24 Invulnerability/Super Strength Tanker++Level 14 Gravity/Storm Controller
    DAoC: Level 42 Paladin

Like: DAoC, CoH, WOW, GW
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2
    Don't Care About: Everything Else

-------------------
    "Do I come to your workplace and tell you how to kill civilians? No, so don't tell me how to do my job" - Sam Fischer.

--OracleP4

Like: DAoC, WOW, GW, DnL
    Dislike: SoR, EQ, EQ2, SWG, KO, AC2, CoH
    Don't Care About: Most Everything Else

• hell_fire_69hell_fire_69 Member Posts: 129

I ve been waiting a longggggggg time for WoW. once i heard the about it and saw gameplay i am just dieing to play it. I am just a blizzard freak. I used to pklay diablo like a crak addict and same with Warcraft 1,2,3,and FT. And as for Eq2 looks good but not a fan of EQ.

I NEED imageWoWimage

• LugnardLugnard Member Posts: 474

I chose WoW mainly because so far in beta, it's quality and content are even greater than most MMORPGs out already. There are tons of things to do in the game with lots of nice touches and cool places to visit.

Also, the Warcraft Storyline hands down is probably the greatest fantasy storyline so far since Lord of the Rings (no joke, just play all the Warcraft games and see for yourself). Blizzard doesn't disappoint seeing how each of their PC products have sold 5+ million copies and their Battle.net has over 3+ million active users (the largest, most populated internet gaming service in the world).

Sure EQ2 might be different than EQ1 (which like you guys said was abysmal) but SOE is a horrible company and so far, every single one of their products was awful...

• jancokasujancokasu Member Posts: 8

Most defiinetly i choose WoW...it seems to have almost all concepts that i want in mmorpg game...
    although EQ2 has better graphics and so on, but the game has no PvP (correct me if im wrong).
    so when it comes to mmorpg game the best thing is the PvP part right?
    in my opinion, any mmorpg that dont have PvP concept may not last long in keeping the players...just my opinion...