Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hellgate worth getting?

This game's always looked fun to me. I've seen people piss and moan about this game being fail, I've seen people dance and spaz about this game being utter glee. I've been considering getting it now that I've heard some of the bugs from release are being cleaned from the game. So what would you say?

Comments

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Play the trial.  If you get to the end of it thinking, "More please" then you will enjoy the game.  Just don't subscribe.

Edit:  the rather over the top hate you see directed at the game I think comes mainly from players that were expecting something different from what they got. It's a fairly straight forward action RPG.  It's not an MMO, it's not a story driven FPS.  Think Diablo II with giant guns set in subway tunnels and abandoned buildings.  Or think DOOM with roleplaying elements tacked on.  Do not think Bioshock, do not think WoW. 

Personally I like it better than comparable games that have come along lately such as Titan Quest and Dungeon Siege II.  However, I think that's largely because I'm sick to death of using my mouse to click on stuff from an overhead perspective.  I find it much more entertaining to run around and shoot things in first person perspective with a WASD set up.   It's not War and Peace the game, but it's a fun diversion.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• LiddokunLiddokun Member UncommonPosts: 1,665

Depends on what class you play you may or may not enjoy HGL. If you play a guardian or other melee types it's kinda like Diablo 2 where you hack and slash at countless enemies that launch themselves at you irregardless of their own well-being, collect countless randomly generated loot and do "quests" well more like tasks but if you play the single player game there's a story with it. If you play the hunter class the game kinda becomes an FPS game of sorts, there's still number crunching but it stays in the background and you gotta aim to actually hit something. If you play the caster classes it becomes sort of a tactical game where your character's placement and spells can mean survival or death (kinda like the sorceress/necromancer class in Diablo 2). The game DOES offer oodles of fun for many many hours but it DOES get old eventually.

• GwendleGwendle Member UncommonPosts: 48

What Yeebo said. It's a great game and getting a lot better with each patch. I'd put it on my "most favorite games of all time" list for sure.

• PhatAznKid77PhatAznKid77 Member Posts: 5

Hellgate is DEF. worth getting!!

I played it at my boyfriend's house && it was nothing but amazing.

You'd be foolish not to get it ~

>.< PhatAZNKidd<333

• bobbymanguybobbymanguy Member Posts: 1

Do you need to subscribe to play online period? Or can you still play online without subscribing?

I deem this post edited for the sake of knowledge!

Nevermind, I found a handy little chart that shows the difference between subscriber online and non-subscriber online play.

• LilacHazeLilacHaze Member Posts: 4

Its worth getting. I bought it and its one of those games you can play when there's nothing else to do. It's free online which is a bonus or you can subscribe. Either way its good.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Hellgate is a flawed game with addictive core gameplay. I would say wait for patch 1.0 before buying. Wait and see. If 1.0 comes off smooth, it will be a rockin' game.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• gothgargothgar Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Hellgate is a flawed game with addictive core gameplay. I would say wait for patch 1.0 before buying. Wait and see. If 1.0 comes off smooth, it will be a rockin' game.

I was coming in here to ask if I should come give the game another try, you answered my question though, wait a bit more...

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

The game could have been a lot better.  I found myself bored after the first day of playing because it's just so repetative.

No one bothers grouping because there is just no point, so you just end up playing a single player game online.

Bugs are a problem, many from beta are still un-fixed.  Quite a lot of people can't even connect to the game most of the time because of un-explained server errors.

If you wan't to play an MMO go for a real MMO like wow or EQ2, while you have to pay a subscription for those you do get a far higher quality game to play.  As well as a community.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I've really enjoyed playing the game. However you should know what the game is before you go and buy it. It is not an MMOG, as was stated before. It's more like single-player FPS with RPG elements and a multi-player option. IMO even the demo doesn't give you enough of a try to really get a feel for how the game plays at higher levels, and certainly not the multi-player experience. Some time in the future it might be worth subscribing to, but not at the moment. I'd say try the demo, know what the game is, and if you enjoy that sort of game play go ahead and buy it. Like I said, it is fun, but it may indeed get repetitive for you at higher levels. However there are a bunch of classes to try out too.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• muzzah2004muzzah2004 Member Posts: 64

It's worth picking up.  Theres also a lot of people selling their accounts because the Required specs computers run it pretty bad.   A lot is broken about the game at the moment and there is no real benefit to subscribing, nor would I if there was a great one because I just cant justify paying a monthly fee to these guys.  Too many inhibiting, massive bugs go unannounced and they don't even let anyone know what they're working on to fix it.  For all I know the reason I cannot create a character in Elite mode after beating normal is because they are going to make it subscriber only, to which I would uninstall and play a game worth paying for.

• severiusseverius Member UncommonPosts: 1,516
    Originally posted by CptObvious

This game's always looked fun to me. I've seen people piss and moan about this game being fail, I've seen people dance and spaz about this game being utter glee. I've been considering getting it now that I've heard some of the bugs from release are being cleaned from the game. So what would you say?

If you feel that you should pay to play a diablo style game over a battlenet type service then go for it.  However the game is not nearly as good as diablo/diablo 2.  While Flagship studios has some people from Blizzard do not expect Blizzard type quality from this game.

• ShadowhearthShadowhearth Member Posts: 174

Well i was hardcore player of diablo2 lod. On battle net, i had MF sorca, MF barb, duel asa, duel barb, duel pala.... and so on and so on. And it was really fun, when you go mfing, getting better mf gear, and then get some actual cool stuuf, which you trade in trade1 trade 15 games :D. Ah old good times.( untill duppers came along)

So Hgl is like D2, only no fun :( . Luck system is very crapy ( dont whant to go to details now ) so no point getting luck gear. And  all items are randomly generated, which is VERY BAD! I remember , i knew almoust all names of items ( shako, storm, buriza, ik armor(moust rarest thing out here :D ) , thats short names btw. So point is, when you so it dropped, you were as happy as bull in mating season!

So its only has D2 grinding part, and repeatace part, but no fun part. Well atleast graphics good,

So in the end: not worth buying, and really not worth sub it. Btw, that new stonehedge thing is on lvl sacling like in oblivion, which makes this game more crapper unfortunatly :( .

• JennysMindJennysMind Member UncommonPosts: 869

My biggest complaint about Diablo II on battle.net is how terrible the servers are/were.  Most of the time the lag is very bad and getting disconnected seemed to happen on a nightly basis. If Diablo II charged a nominal fee for better servers (something like $5/month) that kept your characters if you didn't log in for 3 months I'd go back. Better yet if they updated the graphics and had an active staff it would be even better. DII is a classic, my favorite game of all time. It doesn't need that many changes and could stick around for another decade.

• rev_lazarorev_lazaro Member Posts: 270

I know I'm going to be in the minority on this, but I figured I might as well pitch in my two cents:

I personally love the game at its core. I was plenty happy without the subscription based stuff. When I bought it, I wasn't wanting WoW in Post Apocalyptic London; I wanted a freaking demonic slaughterfest. I have not been dissapointed.

Matter of fact, I actually decided at the very last day it was available to go ahead and plop down the cash for the lifetime membership. I've seen Flag Ship working hard to improve the game, and to be honest the game has been running fine on my end.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

the major thing thats put me off of hellgate london is i understand theres additional payments to be made to get into subscriber based area . i m still unclear as to weather this also means you make additional payments with each patch that comes out . i did nt like that it sounded like it was a no fee online game but in actual fact that it need extra payments by stealth . the game itself looks ok and i ve heard some good and some bad things about it ( mainly being that its not worth playing online unless you subscribe ) . after initial launch when there was a lot of possative comments and reviews there seams to have been a decline in the people who think its worth it . maybe if i see it shrink rapped and as new on ebay i ll give it a go for a bargain price but other than that i think theres better things to spend my money on .

The extra price wasn't per patch or update; it's a flat subscription price (9.99 cheaper than most MMO's these days) that can be cancelled any time. During the subscription you have access to all the features including all the extra content when it comes out; so no you won't be paying extra for Stonehenge and the others aside from the subscription for premium service.

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Its not wurth any penny its a boring repitive game, only real fans will defend it nomatter how bad this game is.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

Originally posted by forest-nl

Its not wurth any penny its a boring repitive game, only real fans will defend it nomatter how bad this game is.

Yes, people who don't agree with your opinion will debate your opinion :) It's like that with any game.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by severius

If you feel that you should pay to play a diablo style game over a battlenet type service then go for it.  However the game is not nearly as good as diablo/diablo 2.  While Flagship studios has some people from Blizzard do not expect Blizzard type quality from this game.

After playing this game, reading the patches, and finding a lack of support for the single-player portion of this game, I've come to one conclusion.  Blizzard were the true developers of Diablo/D2, not these Flaship screw-ups.  It's just clear as day to me that the managers of Flagship, especially Bill Roper, have no complete idea how to make or market a game.  They also have no true idea what an MMORPG actually is... which this game doesn't even scratch the surface of what an MMORPG should be.  They have no concept of keeping their customer-base happy while aiming for new customers in the process.  This company is a failure.  Therefore, it's clear as day that Blizzard was the driving force behind Diablo/D2's success back in the day, not these screw-ups.

• pk-Slaydepk-Slayde Member Posts: 43

learn to straif before you play. if you dont know you will die ( im a blademaster)

Originally posted by Vato26

After playing this game, reading the patches, and finding a lack of support for the single-player portion of this game, I've come to one conclusion.  Blizzard were the true developers of Diablo/D2, not these Flaship screw-ups.  It's just clear as day to me that the managers of Flagship, especially Bill Roper, have no complete idea how to make or market a game.  They also have no true idea what an MMORPG actually is... which this game doesn't even scratch the surface of what an MMORPG should be.  They have no concept of keeping their customer-base happy while aiming for new customers in the process.  This company is a failure.  Therefore, it's clear as day that Blizzard was the driving force behind Diablo/D2's success back in the day, not these screw-ups.

Anyone else notice the people who go on a "Burning Crusade" demanding to shove it down everyone's throats how they continue to be dissapointed with this game are the people who cry about this not being an MMO?

Wake up: One minute you're praising Diablo 2 (not an MMO) and the next you're crying about how this "Doesn't scratch the surface" of being an MMO?

Sorry Flagship didn't put the mechanical birds and sissy elves in this game for you. Personally, looking at the list here on MMORPG.com, I think if people really wanted another in-depth, detailed, long and engrossing immersive world for them to devote 36 hours a day to farming loot and grinding levels, we have a VERY crowded market for such.

It's nice to see games like Hellgate that'll take elements of what made various games fun, but minimize the grind time in exchange for zombie bashing fun. It's an awesome game like Geometry Wars....if you're wanting something more detailed go play Mass Effect and let us twitchers have fun.

• Vato26Vato26 Member Posts: 3,930
    Originally posted by rev_lazaro

Originally posted by Vato26

Anyone else notice the people who go on a "Burning Crusade" demanding to shove it down everyone's throats how they continue to be dissapointed with this game are the people who cry about this not being an MMO?

Wake up: One minute you're praising Diablo 2 (not an MMO) and the next you're crying about how this "Doesn't scratch the surface" of being an MMO?

Sorry Flagship didn't put the mechanical birds and sissy elves in this game for you. Personally, looking at the list here on MMORPG.com, I think if people really wanted another in-depth, detailed, long and engrossing immersive world for them to devote 36 hours a day to farming loot and grinding levels, we have a VERY crowded market for such.

It's nice to see games like Hellgate that'll take elements of what made various games fun, but minimize the grind time in exchange for zombie bashing fun. It's an awesome game like Geometry Wars....if you're wanting something more detailed go play Mass Effect and let us twitchers have fun.

Wow... you need to reread what I posted.  I was insulting on how pitifully poor FSS is rather than insulting HGL.  I was making a point that this game is on the block of failing because FSS's management are completely stupid when it comes to producing and marketing games.  If you didn't do your homework, as it seems in your post you did not, FSS has specifically, on numerous occasions stated that they are the creators of D2.  That is why I referenced D2.  That is why I was making a point that Blizzard was the ones who truly made Diablo/D2 great, not these clowns.  I did not talk about HGL specifically being bad.  It had a good premise and would've had a better chance if someone other than FSS had made it.

Also, regardless of what FSS's management wants to spew to the public, this game is not an MMORPG.  This is just like D2... an Action RPG that has multiplayer ability.  It has nothing to do with the common MMORPG structure.  The only reason they label HGL as an MMORPG is because they are greedy individuals that thinks they can irk out more money for half-assed subscriber content.  Again, if this game was made by any other company, it would have a much better chance of success than with FSS.

Btw... I fail to see anywhere in my previous post where I compared this game to fantasy MMORPG's.  Therefore, you fail in typing out your snide comment "Sorry Flagship didn't put the mechanical birds and sissy elves in this game for you."  Again, you need to stop reading in-between the lines.  MMORPG does not automatically mean fantasy-based game.  Maybe you should actually look at the list to your left and notice that not all of those MMORPG's listed are fantasy-based.  Therefore, do your homework and accurately read the posts before you come here and try to refute the accurate claims.

• HanseiHansei Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by forest-nl

true

• beens14beens14 Member Posts: 2

i downloaded the demo for hellgate but when it opens theres music but no screen. plz help i really want to try it.