Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is a silent flop

2»

Comments

• malachidarkmalachidark Member Posts: 93

Originally posted by corza334

you honestly think fury will die in a year?

Thats a load of crud, Fury started with a few servers.. 8 or so, It now has 12-13.
    It takes a few seconds to get into some of the modes against other players, Some modes take a few minutes.
    The player base is GROWING not SHRINKING.
    And it was marketed in the MMO market, As both an RPG and PVP, i think you people have your terminology wrong where "RPG" comes in. It means you take on the ROLE or a person, Or avatar in this case, wich aboviously covers a wide range of Hybrid genre's. It is based around the hybrid, or "branch" or RPG wich is the Player Vs Player aspect. Technically, its an MMO(Lots of players)RPG(You take on your avatar's role)PvP(The main aspect)
    People will always complain about this, and i dont think its always because "THeY got So totally pwnozred", I had a different view on the game when i first started, you really have to stand back on look at what the game is aiming at accomplishing. Its aim is basically: A fast Paced MMORPG where players go toe to toe in a fight to the death. Did they accomplish that? Personally i think it was accomplished outstandingly.
    Everyone will always have a different view on the game, Just like any game. But you should all really stop trying to down the game and instead give constructive critisism to the developers.

Adding to that:

As for content, Fury isnt too bad. Considering its more like Quake with Customizable avatar's, its got a good amount of content. And if there is something that could be added, Like i said before - tell the dev's, They will look into it, thats the beauty of an MMO, It can be tweaked and changed throuhout its whole lifespan.

I would hate to see this game die, and judging from the growing player base it wont. People assume because about 10 people complain on forums, (Yes, thats about it - they post Over and over trying to make us regret buying) that "90%" of the games players hate the game. And yes, Somebody actually think 10% of fury's players actually like the game (wtf?). If somebody could actually take the time out and count how many people have complained, the most you would get too is around 30, Thats 30 out of hundreds, (Hundreds and growing). If you log into Fury and take a tour around the begginers area, you will find at least 10 new players in there all the time.

Im not flaming the guys that dont like fury, thats thier opinion.. I dont see why they wouldnt like it though, They havent given any specific reason, Just the good ol' "THIS GAME WAS POORLY MADE!! IT WILL DIE", How so? Why do you think its poorly made? Give some specifics, if you dont want too tell the dev's i will happily give them your opinion =] (As long as its not something stupid).

I think this game has exellent potential, and am eager to see where it goes. If it does crash and burn, I hope someone takes on the Extremely hard to accomplish idea Auran has brewed up.

The game is dead, Auran shut down, there's nobody developing it anymore, just volunteers running the servers. I give this game 1 year and they finally take the servers down.

Fury is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in a game. They promised us the most competetive game on the market, with great tournaments with real life prizes. Instead, the head of Auran fired everybody and ran off with whatever money was left.

Currently Playing: Tabula Rasa
    Gaming History: EQ, EQ2, SWG, EVE, Anarchy Online, CoX, GW, SRO, Rakion, Ryzom, WoW, Rappelz, Shadowbane, 9Dragons, DAoC, Dungeon Runners, DnD Online, Space Cowboy, LotRO, Vanguard, Fury, Hellgate
    Wanting to Play: WAR, TCoS, Darkfall, Aion

• corza334corza334 Member Posts: 4

http://www.unleashthefury.com/index.php/fury/news/state_of_the_game_from_bossman/

...Nuf said?

Not saying your wrong, I just hope that you are =P It would suck if auran did abandon this little gem :(

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

It's a nice jesture to write a column that must have taken one person at least an hour to make, but the problem is, that "less than expected" means that this game is not making money.  Their company is not a charity and they will drop the title and move on swiftly, and this title is not appealing to anyone since the threat of wasted money looms heavily on the horizon.

This game might be free to download and play and a year using advertisment as the main source of revenue, but I don't see this game being sold for actual money in the next couple of months....   Horrible disappointment.

Elite poster by 82

• corza334corza334 Member Posts: 4

Yea.. Didnt take an hour =P But i was just reading http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16623

It has been abondoned, but there is a small chance the team will be reconstructed. I think the volunteer's are doing a good job at the moment. Its a real shame, I wish more people could have viewed the game the way i did =/

But anyway, Im not going to abandon ship just cause the dev's did! >=D About to go play somemore, those ladders are addictive... though i cant quite work out the Clan ladder score algorythm.. its really wierd.

• MatriarcheXMatriarcheX Member Posts: 159

I'd say keep playing to your hearts content :) the servers are up and running... and there are bodies there to reset and reboot them. Maybe free to play is where the money is at for this type of game. 

Downloading a game for free, still be able to play and try it out, is much appealing than buying a game for $50 (CAD) and have a monthly fee for it personally. I think Auran fired all those people because they were not needed for the new business model, which is totally logical. If they kept them it would of cost them more money to pay for... just sitting on their butts doing nothing. A smaller team of devs can still do the job and communication may even be better than having a few hundred. I remember back in the day when people put down a game called Guild Wars for being 'free to play' against huge mmos like WoW.. and they are still around, bigger and better. Its a different game model, that in itself is refreshing. :)

/2cents

• Lug1Lug1 Member Posts: 4

i had a ton of fun playing this game in beta and never bought the game on release do to lack of funds at the time, i had no idea that it went free. i'm sure there are many more fans with the same situation. DL now cant wait to play again!

• A55A5INA55A5IN Member Posts: 175

Yea.. Didnt take an hour =P But i was just reading http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16623
    It has been abondoned, but there is a small chance the team will be reconstructed. I think the volunteer's are doing a good job at the moment. Its a real shame, I wish more people could have viewed the game the way i did =/
    But anyway, Im not going to abandon ship just cause the dev's did! >=D About to go play somemore, those ladders are addictive... though i cant quite work out the Clan ladder score algorythm.. its really wierd.
    I wish people would stop speculating and misquoting stuff.

The game hasn't been abandoned. A part of Auran went bust and some staff were let go.

Auran does not only deal with Fury. That part of Auran that went bust does not affect Fury.

In fact they are now able to focus on the game more due to having evened out their debts according to Bossmans last post.

Soo basically, Auran sees a money maker. Thought it'd be foolish to let go of a game that took

long to develop and re-evaluated their business costs to contrate more developing a game that

has the potential of making them alot of money whilst making it better. Nice.

I guess people misunderstood that Fury is just a small part of Auran and not the whole game itself.

• zaltarzaltar Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by malachidark

you honestly think fury will die in a year?

Thats a load of crud, Fury started with a few servers.. 8 or so, It now has 12-13.
    It takes a few seconds to get into some of the modes against other players, Some modes take a few minutes.
    The player base is GROWING not SHRINKING.
    And it was marketed in the MMO market, As both an RPG and PVP, i think you people have your terminology wrong where "RPG" comes in. It means you take on the ROLE or a person, Or avatar in this case, wich aboviously covers a wide range of Hybrid genre's. It is based around the hybrid, or "branch" or RPG wich is the Player Vs Player aspect. Technically, its an MMO(Lots of players)RPG(You take on your avatar's role)PvP(The main aspect)
    People will always complain about this, and i dont think its always because "THeY got So totally pwnozred", I had a different view on the game when i first started, you really have to stand back on look at what the game is aiming at accomplishing. Its aim is basically: A fast Paced MMORPG where players go toe to toe in a fight to the death. Did they accomplish that? Personally i think it was accomplished outstandingly.
    Everyone will always have a different view on the game, Just like any game. But you should all really stop trying to down the game and instead give constructive critisism to the developers.

Adding to that:

As for content, Fury isnt too bad. Considering its more like Quake with Customizable avatar's, its got a good amount of content. And if there is something that could be added, Like i said before - tell the dev's, They will look into it, thats the beauty of an MMO, It can be tweaked and changed throuhout its whole lifespan.

I would hate to see this game die, and judging from the growing player base it wont. People assume because about 10 people complain on forums, (Yes, thats about it - they post Over and over trying to make us regret buying) that "90%" of the games players hate the game. And yes, Somebody actually think 10% of fury's players actually like the game (wtf?). If somebody could actually take the time out and count how many people have complained, the most you would get too is around 30, Thats 30 out of hundreds, (Hundreds and growing). If you log into Fury and take a tour around the begginers area, you will find at least 10 new players in there all the time.

Im not flaming the guys that dont like fury, thats thier opinion.. I dont see why they wouldnt like it though, They havent given any specific reason, Just the good ol' "THIS GAME WAS POORLY MADE!! IT WILL DIE", How so? Why do you think its poorly made? Give some specifics, if you dont want too tell the dev's i will happily give them your opinion =] (As long as its not something stupid).

I think this game has exellent potential, and am eager to see where it goes. If it does crash and burn, I hope someone takes on the Extremely hard to accomplish idea Auran has brewed up.

The game is dead, Auran shut down, there's nobody developing it anymore, just volunteers running the servers. I give this game 1 year and they finally take the servers down.

Fury is one of the biggest disappointments I've ever had in a game. They promised us the most competetive game on the market, with great tournaments with real life prizes. Instead, the head of Auran fired everybody and ran off with whatever money was left.

Who is this person ? 

Again  after explaining I dont know how many times ,  Auron developments one of  several branches of Auron holdings was restructured and downsized in order to maintain the longterm survivability of Fury . There is a Fury dev team in place of about 20 employees , Auron holdings is not shut down , Fury is not shut down , they just downsized Auron developments.  FYI the dev team they have in place now are much more dedicated to the game and CEO Tony Hilliam hasn`t run off to anywhere , sorry to burst your dramatic bubble .

Currently there are enough funds to maintain and develop Fury for a long time however whether or not the game will survive in the longterm remains to be seen , either way its still the best pvp game on the market .

• LienhartLienhart Member UncommonPosts: 662

Guild Wars > Fury

I tried playing this game....and main reason why I hate it? Well, the community. I think it's filled with a bunch of  "adults" who have no sense of self-esteem or self-worth so they flame every single person who says something wrong. The game play wasn' that bad...then again, I only played for 5 minutes thanks to those tards =P

I live to go faster...or die trying.

So in other words Lienhart you are a button masher, got beat the first 5 mins and didn't even bother to properly play the game. Sad.  I'm sure you can hit all the buttons you want chaotically in Guild Wars and still win. I understand now why you hate it. Grow a backbone cause you definately would not make it in Fury.

• zaltarzaltar Member UncommonPosts: 125

Originally posted by Athenae

So in other words Lienhart you are a button masher, got beat the first 5 mins and didn't even bother to properly play the game. Sad.  I'm sure you can hit all the buttons you want chaotically in Guild Wars and still win. I understand now why you hate it. Grow a backbone cause you definately would not make it in Fury.

Some of the early reviewers were button mashers also and became confused and distressed upon attempting to gain any sort of control over their characters thus setting the tone for their original opinions about the game. 

• boodisboodis Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Athenae

So in other words Athenae you're a reject of wow's arena system, never got above 1600 rating a in a game which award well though through combinations of spells/skills, while having a steady and effective teamwork going on aswell as controlling the enemy team through mana usage / crowd control.  Sad 'cause you can just jump into Fury, spam one million skills which mostly do the same thing while running around like a duracell rabbit in a hyper-speeded arena, 'cause if you speed up gameplay it gets skilled by default, yes it's true.

See what I did there? I drew some stupid generalization about your previous and current gaming experience, which I could possibly have no idea about, just to prove my game is more skilled. Something which is utterly stupid but seems to be the norm on the interwebz.

(Don't mind the Wow vs Fury pvp part, was mostly just to open Athenea's eyes to how stupid an argument like that sounds, this will NOT turn into a "Lol wow ppvp suzuuxuxxulolol fury ownz" vs "no ure wr0ng!, wow haz arenah!").

Yeh Athenae I wouldn't take replying to trolls with very low post counts too seriously, you'll get used to them eventually. They always seem to spawn out of nowhere. lol

If you find a post to be offensive, flamebait or off topic, theres a report button. Use it.

Anyway, back on topic and I'm keen to see how the new changes will affect gameplay.

I kinda took a break from Fury for a while. I've been playing since June 2007 so I've seen the game improve a LOT over time. However I also know what it was like before they made some drastic changes to Armor procs and that kinda spoiled it a bit for me.

They were however implemented for a reason. Prior to their implementation, there were only a select few who had good armor with procs. The changes meant this armor was now easily available to all. Whilst this was a good thing in the long run, it also made armor procs slightly more effective than some skills depending on your build. Despite all this, I would still reccommend Fury to anyone who loves PVP as it is a rush and the new changes to procs means we are getting back on track to how it should be.

Not bad for a game thats only been out for less than a year considering the stuff Auran has been through.

props to them.

I hate to see good things get bashed undeservedly.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

I'm not going to lie.. I played this game at beta and it sucked the life right out of me.. Even at release when I rushed to buy the game I would spend nights, days, and hours and hours whooping up on people trying to find a good mix of stratedgy.. Everything was fun until a few select people discovered the IWIN button, and then the balance issues took over and ruined the fun for me almost overnight...

A competitive loss is one that I can surely deal with, hell I died many many times in this game. It is part of the game, BUT dying to the same standing still healing spammer with damage shields and defensive stances was just plain boring... Vortex was the only game that kept my attention, but even that got ruined by balance issues and basically turned into a team deathmatch type of game where I would see people run right PAST a friggin crystal JUST to try and fight for kills using the same pre-made skill set...

I could have seen this game do better had it

A) Given the players a REASON to fight (I dunno, perhaps a little territorial map where a win pushes control in on sides favor)

B) A couple of factions or groups.. Even if I would be allowed to fight ANYONE, belonging to a bigger team with a bigger mission or reason would boost everyones competitive nature as WELL as encourage some team work in some situations..

And the biggest of all C) BALANCE of skills and a better skill system.. The whole idea of "UAA" really just ruined things for me, as I figured the only reason we were gaining this "Essence" at all was to progress and get more better skills. JUST to find out they were selling an unlocker on their site for ALL skills to be available? .... UAA should have never happened, and I think the skills should have been the type that I see in alot of foriegn mmo's where the actual skill gains exp as it is used during battle, which means there could bemore room for strengths and weaknessess and not just one way to win in the end...

Just my two cents.. But i'm never one of these people who scream " Failure failure failure" and then dedicate my life to preaching and convincing people why not to play a game (see them all the time on this website.) Hell we are all human and we do what we want to do, to each their own. But 'm explaining the reason for which I had to give this game up and move on..

Originally posted by Vyeth

I'm not going to lie.. I played this game at beta and it sucked the life right out of me.. Even at release when I rushed to buy the game I would spend nights, days, and hours and hours whooping up on people trying to find a good mix of stratedgy.. Everything was fun until a few select people discovered the IWIN button, and then the balance issues took over and ruined the fun for me almost overnight...
    A competitive loss is one that I can surely deal with, hell I died many many times in this game. It is part of the game, BUT dying to the same standing still healing spammer with damage shields and defensive stances was just plain boring... Vortex was the only game that kept my attention, but even that got ruined by balance issues and basically turned into a team deathmatch type of game where I would see people run right PAST a friggin crystal JUST to try and fight for kills using the same pre-made skill set...
    I could have seen this game do better had it
    A) Given the players a REASON to fight (I dunno, perhaps a little territorial map where a win pushes control in on sides favor)
    B) A couple of factions or groups.. Even if I would be allowed to fight ANYONE, belonging to a bigger team with a bigger mission or reason would boost everyones competitive nature as WELL as encourage some team work in some situations..
    And the biggest of all C) BALANCE of skills and a better skill system.. The whole idea of "UAA" really just ruined things for me, as I figured the only reason we were gaining this "Essence" at all was to progress and get more better skills. JUST to find out they were selling an unlocker on their site for ALL skills to be available? .... UAA should have never happened, and I think the skills should have been the type that I see in alot of foriegn mmo's where the actual skill gains exp as it is used during battle, which means there could bemore room for strengths and weaknessess and not just one way to win in the end...
    Just my two cents.. But i'm never one of these people who scream " Failure failure failure" and then dedicate my life to preaching and convincing people why not to play a game (see them all the time on this website.) Hell we are all human and we do what we want to do, to each their own. But 'm explaining the reason for which I had to give this game up and move on..
    Some valid points, thanks for being constructive.

I'm not gonna start debating as to how I think you are wrong and that such and such is available.

You obviously felt the game lacks in ways that would have kept you entertained as do others.

The point of there not being anything to fight over, other than competitive spirit and maybe guild/clan reputation, is important to some players and they are put off by this.

It seems though that amongst the PVP fans I have talked to that actually play Fury, they are not put off by this.

They simply want to PVP as you would do in an FPS. It may be an endless circle of kill / die / respawn but the actual gameplay is what keeps players coming back for more.

I wanted to mention also that at one point prior to release the population was split onto 2 different servers (realms) and donation of essence to your realms god would have given your realm a buff in combat.

However this was removed due to a few reasons such as:

1> Population at the time wasn't enough to support 2 realms and queue times went through the roof.

2> Realm buffs were not looked upon as a good thing by the majority of the vets at the time.

I guess this still doesn't count as something to fight over but I thought I'd mention it.

Those are great points Vyeth! I also would like extra content similar to RvR or clan related.

Maybe for the clans who have amassed enough essence can buy a fortress in which other similar

clans can go and raid similar to vortex. But thats pretty much it on my end that i can think of.

This game is all about in your face PvP and a55a5in said its very similar to an FPS with a RPG aspect to create the best all specced toon. But most importantly knowing how to best use the skills you choose against others, because believe me they are not mindless roaming bears or goblins ( or at least some of them lol). It a quick thinking game, countered with skills and using the environment around you.

But just remember this game is pretty new, and I'm sure the devs will have alot of content for us in the

future. Along with working with the community we can all succeed and enjoy great PvP content. We all just need to have  a little.. faith :)

This game is not a flop, its merely 'Reborn' lol

(FURY players should get that little bit of humour *wink*)

I think the core problem is that the pvp doesn't have much depth, and the mechanics are not very well developed.  The community does have a very vocal suck, and it seems to reward that personality, so the people who rule fury are 8 year olds that talk smack, over people who can socially network (which is key to an MMO).

This game incororates all of the A.d.d indulgence of HALO, without the 1st person "skill" aspect.  If this is the best pvp game around, you clearly haven't played CS or the other high end 1st person shooters.  You'll get the same community, just everything that FURY claims to do, these games do it better and faster.

Big flopper

Elite poster by 82

I think the core problem is that the pvp doesn't have much depth, and the mechanics are not very well developed.

I'd have to disagree with you on that point strongly.

I'm not one to hang around on any game that doesn't have much depth to its gameplay. Killing boars for xp doesn't cut it for me and you actually have to think about how to take down your opponent in Fury not just spam skills.

As for your 'Fury is not the best FPS game' comment, I didn't hear anyone claim that it was. Not even Auran.

Fps's are best left in their own category.

Whilst Fury may have the speed of an FPS its not really comparable.

Regarding the community thing, well I don't play Fury to chat tbh so I could care less. You will find teens in every MMO you play spamming local or trade chat with LOLBOOBZ. I just /ignore them and let the skills do the talking in the arena. If a young vocal community meant bad news for a game then WoW would be dead surely?

Originally posted by A55A5IN

Yeh Athenae I wouldn't take replying to trolls with very low post counts too seriously, you'll get used to them eventually. They always seem to spawn out of nowhere. lol
    If you find a post to be offensive, flamebait or off topic, theres a report button. Use it.

Aha, so it's okey for Athenae to bash someone and claim he's a terrible Fury player (without anything to back it up) and get away with it. However when I (drenched in sarcasm, sadly lost) did the same thing, only claimed Athenae is terrible in WoW it's trolling and flame baiting. I even explained my point and kinda' ruined the whole sarcasm part by doing so, so people like you would not get upset ^^. Guess it has something to do that I:

1. Bashed the beloved Fury game (guess the disclaimer at the bottom was lost to you).

2. Mentioned The Unmentionable One on these very boards.

Oh and love the remark about my low post counts, considering that would make everything Athenae said invalid too ^^.

• EphimeroEphimero Member Posts: 1,860

This game is nothing but the waste of a cool name. Pity the success of this game might make the idea behind it dissapear, which could have been done well.

Boodis I think you got the wrong end of the stick.

I was referring to this post.

---

Ephemero, care to explain WHY you think this rather than just typing 2 lines.

Your entitled to your opinions (this applies to all), but if you are gonna tell the world your opinions on a matter, it helps to explain a bit more about how you reached that conclusion.

Anything less is trolling.

Originally posted by A55A5IN

BoodisI think you got the wrong end of the stick.

I was referring to this post.

Oh, my bad, that's why I like to qoute answer like this, it does go against a lot of forums rules though. However I'm sorry then ^^.

This game has a very hardcore following, and that tends to foster a heated debate.  People generally casually dislike a game, but actively enjoy them, so there are a lot of emotional exchanges for the pro-fury crowd.  I think that is good for a fanbase to feel very validated.

I also agree, that I hate spam-killing unless it's implemented properly, like in coh when you can kung-fu 20 guys like in the movies.  Grinding kills or killing the same mob over and over drives me insane.

HOWEVER, I feel that if the game mechanic of killing is fun, then it can relieve the lack of variety.  To this end, a very developed combat system with balance and skill/choice balance can be very fun even in a repetitive environment.

I don't feel fury has this element.  I played on some of the higher level tiers of the game, and the game breaks down to a lot of running and spamming.  Sure, there is strategy before the fight starts, but once it is initiated, generally the plan falls apart and it's a circle-strafe-ish hack-fest.

That can be fun, but it is repetitive, less realistic than I would hope for a game that boasts this unique system, and a bit of a drag.  If there were more pvp encounter types, that would help, and if the overall game dynamic changed a little bit to stop all of the mayhem, that would probably draw in the bigger crowds.  I don't feel as though any significant changes will happen, and thus my posting of this "flop" post.

Small fanbase, major turn-offs, no solid development plan...  that is the trident of floppage.

Elite poster by 82

I guess we can all generalize that this 4 month old game is not an active 'flop' since its servers are still running, being updated and getting many new accounts through the new Free2Play business model.

If people do have something constructive to say good or bad that may help this game, the devs and most of all its player community in the long run, feel free to post in the link below;

Fury Constructive Feedback thread, positives and negatives

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/158396

Thank you

Ath