Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In case anyone was curious, mxo is in fact totally dead

Comments

• neolivesftwneolivesftw Member Posts: 163

MXO is teh best gaime on the market. Ask anyone who plays! No droofs no stoopid elves.

Hail Neo, full of pwnage, Morpheus is with thee
    Blessed art thou among Zion, and blessed is the roundhouse against Smith.
    Holy Neo, pray for us now, and at the hour of Victory, Amen.

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135
    Originally posted by neolivesftw

MXO is teh best gaime on the market. Ask anyone who plays! No droofs no stoopid elves.

I would if they weren't all special people. But that says it all I guess!

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Yeah, I log into that game from time to time and try to strike up a conversation.

Normally there's no one around to respond, and when there is they usually are annoying...

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DrowNobleDrowNoble Member UncommonPosts: 1,297

I tried MxO a while back, felt it had potential but some game-breaking bugs and poor gameplay ruined it for me.  Though killing off Morpheus was probably, to put it mildly, a very brain-dead thing to do.

I remember a bug that if I was jumping from Point A to B and got aggro, I would get pulling into interlock in mid jump.  I'd land on the ground unable to move til the mob caught up to me so I could break.  Meanwhile the other mobs around me are attacking and I can't do anything about it.

I didn't care for the  missions they were all essentially the same.  Are all the buildings in the city run-down slums?  Changing parameters just added more stops before I got to the final slum building.

Having everyone able to change their class at anytime I also didn't like.  I know the whole thing about in the movies they just uploaded whatever knowledge they needed.  Notice thought that Trinity always did the driving?  If I was a Coder, I shouldn't be able to access anything but Coder abilities.  Sure I can unload and reload others, just so long as they are in the Coder tree.  With everyone able to be everything, everyone was alike.

Good potential, poorly implimented.

• smitty0356smitty0356 Member Posts: 368

Just an update.  I saw 2 other players the other day, in all, that is 4 people that I have seen on my server since I started playing the trial 10 days ago.

Not even the old zionist hotspots in the rookie zones have anyone near them.... it's a complete ghost town.

Elite poster by 82

• MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

LOL dont know what server your on but i run in to about 100-500 players every day..Mara central Is the best spot for them. But if you hop from line to line you will be able to find some. So no its not dead...it just has a low pop..But from what i hear  soe is FINALLY goin to ad more stuff to it.

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

Well vector is totally dead... it is the hostile server, so maybe it drove off everyone or something, but it is an absolute desolate wasteland.

Elite poster by 82

• Mercury7Mercury7 Member Posts: 1

I just came by this thread and i felt like i should give some input, to help shed some light on why people still play this game and what possible aspects of it that may be appealing...

I've been playing since after the server merge and i've only just stopped playing about a month ago since i don't really have time to play computer games atm. I regret not being around during beta, 'cause that sounded like a really fun time, as well as just after launch right up to the server merge. Personally i think that there's only a few possible activities within this game that makes it enjoyable. The pvp is very...umm...special...very unique to the game, and can be quite addictive, especially when there's even numbers of people on either side. However, the only downside(s) to pvp would be the drama that can come with it, there is a lot of people who will start trash talking at you after you kill them instead of just moving on, which is annoying. And there's always the possibility of bugs affecting your capacity to fight, which can be quite frustrating, (although towards the end of my subscription alot of the bugs have been ironed out, and some tweeking is still being made). Still though, pvp on that game is pretty much the only reason why there's still a fair amount of people playing. Mostly taking place at Mara C on all servers, although on Vector it is more likely to be anywhere else but mara c since the whole server is hostile, thus pvp is more spontaneous there. But it does seem that pvp is very much dominated by lvl 50s, so you would have to go though the mind numbingly boring grind to get to 50.

However, don't let the grind deter you. There are lots of factions on all 3 servers that actually strive to gain more members and a lot of them have 50s that actively help with power lvling lowbies, as well as helping them get gear. It is possible to hit 50 in 2 weeks if you got help from a faction.

There is some portion of the population that also indulges in RP as well, a lot of people do RP whenever there isn't any pvp happening, or they may do RP instead of pvp altogether. I'm not really entirely sure on this part, i usually just witness people RP from time to time, and i attend an occassional live event. RP is just not for me...

Up until i left, i felt that the only reason why the MAJORITY of the population continue to play is because of the entertainment pvp can provide, how the storyline has progressed (since chapter 8 i understand it has got more interesting), how close-knit the community is, and also because it seems that new content is slowly, but surely being added. A new district is in the works for the next update (hopefully).

This game is far from dead, but it does have a long way to go before it can be considered an all-round solid good MMO.

• MarunaiMarunai Member Posts: 15

Finally! Someone with some positive things to say about this game! I ordered a copy of the game yesterday and I can't wait to get it in. I am definitely into RP'ing within the Matrix and I can't wait to kick @$$. I'm undecided if I want to be a Zionist or an Agent for the Machines first. I'm leaning towards agent, but I don't know. Anyways, thanks for this post. I feel much better about my purchase now.

Originally posted by jircris

LOL dont know what server your on but i run in to about 100-500 players every day..Mara central Is the best spot for them. But if you hop from line to line you will be able to find some. So no its not dead...it just has a low pop..But from what i hear  soe is FINALLY goin to ad more stuff to it.

Aww hell yeah boi post a screenie and show them wuts up.

Originally posted by Marunai

Finally! Someone with some positive things to say about this game! I ordered a copy of the game yesterday and I can't wait to get it in. I am definitely into RP'ing within the Matrix and I can't wait to kick @$$. I'm undecided if I want to be a Zionist or an Agent for the Machines first. I'm leaning towards agent, but I don't know. Anyways, thanks for this post. I feel much better about my purchase now.

uh u cant be an agent. why would u wanna work for teh macheens anyway? don you know NEO died for you? but I thik ure gonna make the right decision

• SweeetSweeet Member Posts: 135

I wish you luck with your MxO endeavors Marunai. If you can get some high level help to ease the repetitive mess they call missions, you'll have a great time.

I think machines would be a great idea, just so you can kick neolivesftw's arse  lol

To wank, or not to wank. The ultimate MMO sacrifice.

I thought you could be Zionist or an agent? what are the choices? Are there any? I could have sworn someone mentioned opposing sides.

• PrinnySquadPrinnySquad Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Marunai

I thought you could be Zionist or an agent? what are the choices? Are there any? I could have sworn someone mentioned opposing sides.

Yes, there is: Zion, Machines, and the French guy's faction.

What's interesting is they don't represent it as just good vs. evil. Except the French guy. That faction is totally evil. Zion certainly has its shades of gray, as do the machines. The storyline missions deal a lot with the strains between the factions.

There is a lot of good flavor in there, and the combat system is excellent. It does it right: less twitch but it still looks quick and powerful. You pick your moves as the countdown occurs while you kung-fu out your current one. When you're not ridiculously spazzing buttons in a game to have a clicking contest, you can get some very cool tandem animations in.

One of the weak points, mentioned above, is that if you aren't watching the story, the missions can be repetative.

Problem is three-fold.  One...  Everyone starts out as zionist, so everyone that is genuinely wanting zion, too lazy to switch, or too dumb to understand that they can end up zionist.

Coupled with the 4000 n30's or neo's or neeo's pretty much skews the numbers hard in the favor of zion for any special events or just general teaming up.

two...  The way you are decided as a faction is by the quests you do, but they all add to one faction while subtracting an equal amount from the other 2...  therefore, you can never have positive standing with more than one faction, or any chance of being a double agent...  or be hated less by a faction... or anything.

you either work for a faction, or directly against it.  ( I personally think betrayal missions would be very cool)

Three.....  The game is totally deviod of player life.  I would be rounding up to say there were 75 people on at any time on a server.  There may be moments, but that is likely the weekly average.  Even if all of these people were zionist, it is just a small world full of single players and npc's... that is what makes it not fun.

Elite poster by 82

Originally posted by smitty0356

Problem is three-fold.  One...  Everyone starts out as zionist, so everyone that is genuinely wanting zion, too lazy to switch, or too dumb to understand that they can end up zionist.
    Coupled with the 4000 n30's or neo's or neeo's pretty much skews the numbers hard in the favor of zion for any special events or just general teaming up.
    two...  The way you are decided as a faction is by the quests you do, but they all add to one faction while subtracting an equal amount from the other 2...  therefore, you can never have positive standing with more than one faction, or any chance of being a double agent...  or be hated less by a faction... or anything.
    you either work for a faction, or directly against it.  ( I personally think betrayal missions would be very cool)
    Three.....  The game is totally deviod of player life.  I would be rounding up to say there were 75 people on at any time on a server.  There may be moments, but that is likely the weekly average.  Even if all of these people were zionist, it is just a small world full of single players and npc's... that is what makes it not fun.

u don need lots of peeps to RP. plus playas are all voer the city probaby a few thousind at any time.

• shermishermi Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by neolivesftw

Originally posted by smitty0356

u don need lots of peeps to RP. plus playas are all voer the city probaby a few thousind at any time.

you do realize those people walking around with a zombie gaze are npc's (None player charecters) right.   Unless you bought  "thousind" of copies of this game.  RPFTW

Well I tried it out and have determined that it sucks beyond words and I am now back on the best game of all time...CoX.

• shermishermi Member Posts: 52

sorry man good luck finding a game you will enjoy.

• Scottyb43Scottyb43 Member Posts: 9

It was actually pretty empty when I had played it for a couple months recently after the game had come out, not extremely empty but it had a lower population than most mmos I was used to. Just my input, can't really remember all too well though. Last time playing it was a long time ago.

• I played this game for so long. I used to defend it against all odds. It used to be devoid of anything that resembled content thanks to Monolith's brilliant idea of never creating any from the get go due to their live events. Nowadays though they actually have added things to do believe it or not.

There are archive missions that reward you with tokens that you can trade in for some sweet looking gear. New archive's are released bimonthly or monthly with new rewards in place each time an archive is added. The Pandora's Box arch is pretty nifty when you hit level 50 or close to it. Pretty cool stuff there.It's definately not a solo adventure when doing that.

There are still live events held on a daily basis which is surprising heh.

There is also a whole new starting experience that leads you from collector to collector to get some sweet noob gear. The overall choices in abilities throughout the leveling process is pretty daunting as well.

It is not a game for the MMO noob as alot of the things you can do are pretty much hidden. There is relatively no hand holding anywhere except the starting area which has been revamped for the better.

Overall I think it's still cool because there is nothing like it out there. It's Cyberpunk. There just isn't a lot of that out there.

PS: I don't play anymore lol. CoX FTW!

• InevitableSilenceInevitableSilence Member UncommonPosts: 82

I agree this game needs to die and be remade. It's hard for devs to let go of a game they put so much of their passion into though. I haven't played it but I do wish to try it, I enjoyed the first film.

But, if it's as bad as people say, I think they need a "reopening" if you will.

If you are referring to the daily outburst of angry players in the global channel as a "live event," then there are live events every couple hours on most servers.  It's too bad the movies are getting a little too old for a grand opening of a new title.  I too, had high expectations when the game released, only to see it slide into the SOE bargain bin.

Someday they'll make it free or SOE will drop the title and somehow another company will pick it up and make some sort of mmo out of it, but I don't see that for a very very very long time. 

Elite poster by 82

• InevitableSilenceInevitableSilence Member UncommonPosts: 82

Tried it out. It's not a bad game I guess. The combat is a bit hard to grasp but it might be fun if I get a little more into it.

First login I saw two people. One running around and one logging in as I was logging out. Second login I only saw one person. I did a '/who' and there were 12 players online. heh. I was on from 5-7 in the morning but that's still rather low.

If I had some friends to play it with it wouldn't be so bad. Theres nothing I hate more than playing an MMO completely void of people.

• AmaraoAmarao Member UncommonPosts: 650

Ok, I'd like to set some things straight for all the people that are thinking about trying MxO. My opinion is slightly biased, because I am an MxO player and Matrix fan.

First of all, people like Neolives, are non-existent in the MxO community. I have not met a person yet that has typed anything that....idiotic. I play on Recursion, which is the most populated of the 3 servers, so I can without a doubt say that the community is tight-knit, friendly, helpful and extremely dedicated. So many times have I asked for the apoc radio address, to have it given to me by at least 2 people, which to most mmo players, is un-heard of. My experience outside of MxO is that if you don't know something, your obviously the biggest idiot in the fucking world, and are now the target of every guy that knows the hotkey for the map.

Second, the gameplay is indeed repetitive, but that doesn't mean you have to let it be that way. Most of the people who quit because of the games repetitive nature, didn't like it at all. There are many things to do, all the time. Events are common, but I myself do not participate in these normally, and I still find things to do when I do not want to grind. Whether it's just hyper-jumping all over the city or sitting at mara-C and dueling others. The radio stations also keep me very busy, as Apoc frequently has meetings with the listeners.

Now onto the fan-boy part. I DO NOT (repeating) DO NOT follow MxO's continuation of the story. I'm satisfied with the matrix movies and I do not want to risk it being fucked up. People say this is one of the features that saves the game, but even though I don't follow it, I still have fun.

So, I'll list the best and worst features in my opinion.

Pros - Amazing community.

City environment can actually keep me busy.

The ability to change my character class at any time.

Complete immersion, whether its being chased by an agent or seeing zionites fight the machines.

The game has a lot of players that role-play constantly, which is fun to get in on.

Cons - Repetitive.

Combat system is viewed by some to be bothersome.

At times the game is barren in players, but this is very rare.