Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

new player and leveling

icedutahicedutah Member UncommonPosts: 67

I saw a post on the LF game forum here that breaks down all the games in general terms like leveling/grinding, graphics, etc....

Can you really level to max in just a few days in this game? Does the server style I join matter for this? Classic/ normal? I hope it's a fast leveling game to max as I don't want to spend to much time before trying big seige battles.

I may start this game as I want to see how the RvR stuff is.  I'm excited for Warhammer and want to try this Mythic game out to get me used to what RvR is.

Thanks,

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

On the classic servers at least I had a great time leveling through pvp (the battle grounds) all the way to 50 (max level).  The only time I went into pvp was to farm up a bit of gold or get a better item, but even then I would just farm up money and buy player made armor and weapons for maximum effectiveness.  I enjoyed myself quite bit, enough to not realize how much time has passed so the leveling process for me was fairly good and painless.

I think it took me about 2 weeks to get to max level but I did not play every day, and when I did it wasn't a very hardcore way.  I took my time getting there and enjoyed every bit of it.  I did do a few quests which offered sizable amounts of gold.  That was about the only pve I did and even then it was more of a gather quest then anything.  It barely involved any killing of any mobs unless you got aggro... This however might have changed since I left so don't quote me on it.

Regarding the normal servers, I have no idea.  Have not played there since the release of ToA.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• EranuEranu Member Posts: 191

Id say if you were very familiar with the game as in the lands , mobs , layout of  places , cities and towns ect and you had a twinked toon and guild mates to help you then yes u could do it in a couple of days however if not it will definately take u much much longer.

The beauty of it is though if u just wanna xperience pvp u dont have to level to 50 to do it. U will prolly have more of a hard time as a new level 50 in pvp as the majority are high rankers with lots of toys at their disposal.

The battlegorunds offer pvp on a more level playing field in terms of rankings and from an early age with the lvl 20-24 bg being the first one regurlarly populated with all 3 realms. If youre doing the trial u can get a couple of toons to 20 ish to experience pvp. The game is old and looking tired noone will deny it but its still widely regarded as the best ever pvp implemented game. 

Greatness is difficult to appreciate from close up. The great mountain on the horizon is only the ground when you are standing on it.

• MobidikMobidik Member Posts: 101

i did 1 to 39 in 30hours on classic server just doing instance with ppl ! you need to get good instance group ! but serisouly i think its a + cuz only Battleground worth that stay lowbei cuz the pve in daoc before 50 is not really good ! thats why a lot of people have a buffbot or vampiir bot to level as fast as possible

Manager
    www.crucialconnexion.ca
    Professional Gaming Organization
    #c2team irc@gamesurge
    Counter-Strike:Source
    - ESEA-I
    - CEVO-P
    Counter-Strike 1.6
    - ESEA-M

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

You can go from 1 to 50 in about 2 weeks of casual play. Which is basically the trial period.

Definitly a plus for DAOC

Torrential

Originally posted by Mobidik

i did 1 to 39 in 30hours on classic server just doing instance with ppl ! you need to get good instance group ! but serisouly i think its a + cuz only Battleground worth that stay lowbei cuz the pve in daoc before 50 is not really good ! thats why a lot of people have a buffbot or vampiir bot to level as fast as possible
    Classic servers and bots don't work as they did/do on normal servers.  For starters, buffs have a range limit and you must be grouped with said buff bot.  On classic servers most people use buff potions that have a set duration.  Pve in daoc was never really the focus of the game.  There are dungeons for every level.  And if you are really into that stuff you can find a guild that likes pve and they will gladly do them with you.  I'm sure most people will want to take a break from the pvp and do some instances.

If you want my advice here it is:

Fight in the battle grounds from the beginning.  There are BG's for every level range.  If they are dead kill the mobs in there for greater exp gain then the main land or whatnot.  If there are other people to kill then I suggest you take the opportunity to cleave some heads and make them regret coming to the bg because the exp you gain from player kills is even better.  Do this to level up, then go to Darkness Falls or the adventure wings in the normal dungeons (instances) and just farm up aurulite and get yourself some armor with it from the NPC's in the Darkness Rising cities like kobold undercity for instance.  That's the midgard version.  Hibs I think have the Shar Labyrinth and the albs are not important .  And then just go back to killing people.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• icedutahicedutah Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by Illius

Originally posted by Mobidik

i did 1 to 39 in 30hoThaurs on classic server just doing instance with ppl ! you need to get good instance group ! but serisouly i think its a + cuz only Battleground worth that stay lowbei cuz the pve in daoc before 50 is not really good ! thats why a lot of people have a buffbot or vampiir bot to level as fast as possible
    Classic servers and bots don't work as they did/do on normal servers.  For starters, buffs have a range limit and you must be grouped with said buff bot.  On classic servers most people use buff potions that have a set duration.  Pve in daoc was never really the focus of the game.  There are dungeons for every level.  And if you are really into that stuff you can find a guild that likes pve and they will gladly do them with you.  I'm sure most people will want to take a break from the pvp and do some instances.

If you want my advice here it is:

Fight in the battle grounds from the beginning.  There are BG's for every level range.  If they are dead kill the mobs in there for greater exp gain then the main land or whatnot.  If there are other people to kill then I suggest you take the opportunity to cleave some heads and make them regret coming to the bg because the exp you gain from player kills is even better.  Do this to level up, then go to Darkness Falls or the adventure wings in the normal dungeons (instances) and just farm up aurulite and get yourself some armor with it from the NPC's in the Darkness Rising cities like kobold undercity for instance.  That's the midgard version.  Hibs I think have the Shar Labyrinth and the albs are not important .  And then just go back to killing people.

Thanks, I'll go straight for pvp then in the BG's. ...wherever they are.  I'm new and haven't done much yet.

Just go to your realms main city, and in the main part of it where the supposed king/ruler is there are npc's that will port you just about anywhere, one of the options should be battlegrounds.  It will automatically send you to the level appropriate bg for you.  After that it's all about killing, and more killing and when you're done all that go train your skills pick up some better armor and kill!

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

A very very fast way to get to 20 is to go to the Shadow Islands and do kill tasks.  Go up to random guards and type "/whisper task" and they will tell you to go kill something.  You may have to try a few guards to get a task.  Run off and kill whatever they tell you to (doesn't have to be in the direction they tell you to go, the first one you see will be fine), then come back and click on the guard that gave you the task.  You will then get insane XP and a big hunk of coin (at least for your level).   These go until level 20, the higher level ones are harder to get and not really worth the time.

Other things to look into:

Doing quests in the Catacombs.   There are a series of quests set up there that work very much like WoW quests.  Easy XP, decent loot.

Battlegrounds: already mentioned, crazy fun.  Can sometimes be frustrating if your side is badly outnumbered on a given day.

Farming Aurulite.  It's a bit much to explain here.  Google it.  Especially helpful to get you geared well for the battle grounds as you level. Depending on class you may need a party to help you.

Class builders:  you are about 95% certain to gimp the hell out of your first toon if you don't plan how to spend points.  A good one to use is here:

daoc.catacombs.com/cbuilder.cfm

DAoC has a steep learning curve compared to some games, but it's a great game if you stick with it.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.