Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Year's Resolution: QUIT MMORPG.COM & MMORPGs?

I am actually sick and was unable to attend a few parties tonight.  I think that is overall a good thing, considering the amount of work I have to do tomorrow and the next day.  I have not celebrated New Year's Eve since I was in college and in Europe.

I, like many of you, do not currently play MMORPGs.  After eight years of playing MMORPGs, and in the small hope a developer, gaming executive (decision-maker) might read this, I should explain why I (and perhaps a few others) do not play MMORPGs.

MMORPG Community has Never Been Worse

The Everquest 1 community was always overrated but since WoW, the gaming community has never been worse in 8 to 9 years.  It is common for some one to get flamed.  For a topic to get hijacked.  To write biased reviews of game in spite, anger, and without objectivity. 

Forcing Me to Group with Kids Requires You to Pay Me

I do not enjoy grouping with negative, bossy children ... especially when these kids are on ventrilo.  I am not sure what they are doing all day in their (often public) schools but it is not learning character, manners, or even the English language. 

Forcing Me to Raid with Non-Raiders is a Job (after I just got off work)

After running a WoW guild for a number of months, I felt a strong sense of relief when I finally quit.  It was less the game but more to do with the community.  I had to organize 39 of them to raid Molten Core, and just to get them to attend was a hassle.  Then, when they did show-up, getting them organized and to pay attention was a hassle.

Perhaps it is because I was both a guild leader and raid officer in EQ 1, but forced-raiding at the end game will not work when the population does not like to raid.

Content is Becoming Linear, Predictable, Boring, and Tedious

We want content that is exciting and different.  I feel like when I play I am required to do all these activities to obtain gear and experience to obtain more gear and experience. 

Developers need to re-engineer how players advance and develop innovative, creative, and fun ways for people to play the game.

Grinding-faction is not, never was, and never will be an acceptable time-sink.

I found LotR to be so shallow that I question if LotR would have over ten thousand subscribers had it not been for its title, Lord of the Rings.  Excellent movie.  Terrible MMO.

Content ... been there and done that ... too many times. 

Games are Released Unfinished, Bugged, and Service is Poor

Do not underestimate releasing a polished game.  Vanguard has been set years back because of its premature release, loss of goodwill, and lack of trust gamers now have in companies.  The legacy of Brad McQuaid, once known for ingenuity and the masterfulness of Everquest, is now also known for something else as well. 

As the number of competitors increase, people's tolerance for buggy, incomplete games will decrease; they will simply click "cancel" to a bugged game and click "subscribe" to a game with less bugs.

Gaming:  Fastest Growing Sector in the Entertainment Industry

Many of these readers here are young, and I will not bore anyone with a business analysis.  We are seeing innovation in games such as Guitar Hero or Rockband.  A friend of mine has Rock band for the PS3, and that is a ton of fun after a night out! ha ha ha!  This girl I know on the drums is amazing.  The Wii's success shows that people just want to have fun. 

The MMO market is a bit different than the XBox 360 market, however, and expectations for something more are there.  People want the immersion of a single player game with greater content options.

Farewell MMORPG.COM:  www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1776402/thread/122808#1776402

I hope the next year is a good one.  I am optimistic.

From Aud Lange Syne

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and never brought to mind ?

and auld lang syne ?

Comments

• Xyn99Xyn99 Member Posts: 25

Alot of what you said above seem to be personal problems and preferance over anything else.  Ofcourse a few kids will play the game, there always is in any game you will ever play.  Either a child of the owner of the account wants to play and get his own and whatnot or the kid starts it first.   Noone is forcing anyone else to raid, if you personally want to raid you need to find a bunch of like-minded people in the game and raid with them over setting yourself up in a position where you have to work so hard at just getting people to attend.  WoW has so many subscribers there that the task shouldn't be that difficult.  Most content, in a way, is pretty linear when raids are concerned.  Personally I dont mind the way it is, having to progress one raid dungeon and obtain the gear to move onto the next harder one.  Its just progression in the game, the same as leveling.  I completly agree with vanguard being released unpolished and the effects it had, however. 

(End wall of text)

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065

Originally posted by Xyn99

Alot of what you said above seem to be personal problems and preferance over anything else.  Ofcourse a few kids will play the game, there always is in any game you will ever play.  Either a child of the owner of the account wants to play and get his own and whatnot or the kid starts it first.   Noone is forcing anyone else to raid, if you personally want to raid you need to find a bunch of like-minded people in the game and raid with them over setting yourself up in a position where you have to work so hard at just getting people to attend.  WoW has so many subscribers there that the task shouldn't be that difficult.  Most content, in a way, is pretty linear when raids are concerned.  Personally I dont mind the way it is, having to progress one raid dungeon and obtain the gear to move onto the next harder one.  Its just progression in the game, the same as leveling.

I think it is a combination of my personality, game design, community, inter alia.

I am not against children playing games.  I am against being forced to group and raid with people that I do not want to group and raid with.  WoW has many subscribers and you would think that it would have a community guild for everyone.  WoW's atmosphere, immature humor, graphics, content, and other factors prevent me from feeling attached to remain subscribed.  I think WoW is more vulnerable to competition than people might realize. 

You like to raid one dungeon to obtain gear to access another dungeon.  I also like dungeons and raiding.  I was just saying that developers need more creative, innovative opportunities for people to play the game.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Can I have your stuff?

• healz4uhealz4u Member Posts: 1,065

Originally posted by ianubisi

Can I have your stuff?
    Ha! ha! ha!

Sure. 

For what game?

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by healz4u
    For what game?

You name the game you have stuff in, I probably have an account.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I understand and share you views to a degree. But its more the change in gaming generally. Instead of unique and wonderful games like Ultima, Wizardry and even the late Baldurs Gate we get souless, technical games.

Recently there was an interview with Guido Henkel, who was influental with Planescape Torment and the german DSA Nordland Trilogie (english: Realms of Arkania), and he said once games were made like movies, where few people with a vision made their game, and games had soul. Today there and thousands of people involved, managers, bean counters, an entire host of people in a company and of course a VAST number of forum active fans. All have influence and a say in games, and the result is a waterered down compropise that hurts no one and satisfies no one.

I found this statement sad, but also true.

I come from Pen and Paper RPGs, and I must confess I NEVER would have played the old MMOs, like UO or EQ1. Back then I was a vivid PC RPG player already, and when I tired these 2 MMOs it went against EVERYTHING I ever regarded as the adventure of a group on a quest. It was camping mobs, 1000s of Fedex missions, corpse runs, sit down to regenerate, Player Killing (UO) and I was supposed to HARVEST and CRAFT to get the money to buy the next gear. I know many glorify the old MMOs. I cant. If anything todays MMOs went a tad closer to my ideal group roleplay adventure as I had them in the old Pen and Paper days. LOTRO isnt my pair of shoes because its too simplified, but it is acutally the first MMO where I had this same feeling like in a Pen and Paper group.

If I would make a MMO, I would make it without ANY crafting, harvest or auction houses, only adventures and thats it, like the good old group of heroes in the fantasy books, like Tolkiens. I would take out all non fun parts and only leave adventure in it. No sitting and waiting for mana, no corpse runs, nothing I had in my Pen and Paper games and only expand those parts who are fun, like guilds and events. MMOs are way too much burdened with non fun things which people are only hypnotized to believe its fun to start 8 hours at a crafting machine. I mean, they will likely find working at a conveyor belt pushing a red button every 10 seconds exciting either... For me RPGs, wether online or solo, are about a role and go to an adventure. Slay the princess and safe the dragon! I mean I am a noble Paladin or a viscious Necromancer! I am not supposed to kill 10 rats or harvest 5000 pieces of oak wood! I am a goddam Paladin/Necromancer/Druid whatever! I am supposed to go on ADVENTURES, hello? What has 90% of ANYTHING we see in MMOs to do with the classic goup of heroes we know from our D&D evenings??

No, so far MMOs havent evolved far enough! We must go ahead, not backwards!

Generally, games all are today too often tailoured to mediocre mass market and lacking vision. But I can not praise the old MMos as better. I abhorred them, and only since the days of EQ2 I can even consider MMOs a ROLE PLAYING GAME. EQ1 and Uo had WAY too much boring tedium NO ONE would EVER have done in a single player game! In my belief, people only believed in the myth that things like boss camping or standing 8 hours a day staring on a crafting machine is fun, because they are easily lulled. I mean, millions of people also believe we live in democracies, so what do I expect...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• slannmageslannmage Member Posts: 540

I agree tbh cause theres not one mmorpg on the market i want to play, everythings been ruined or a clone.

• QuantumQrackQuantumQrack Member UncommonPosts: 81

The MMO scene is going downhill.  I think what people want are sandbox type MMO's.  The current games available and being developed seem to be crap plain and simple.  SWG seems to be the last great sandbox type MMO, I can only hope that the future brings more of SWG type MMO's and not Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, etc.  I am currently not subscribed to any game at the moment and I won't unless a game comes along that is truly great and worth of spending a couple years playing it.

Developers and managers dont seem to have a damn clue of how to build a cool MMO these days.  What a mess.

• Xyn99Xyn99 Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by Xyn99

Alot of what you said above seem to be personal problems and preferance over anything else.  Ofcourse a few kids will play the game, there always is in any game you will ever play.  Either a child of the owner of the account wants to play and get his own and whatnot or the kid starts it first.   Noone is forcing anyone else to raid, if you personally want to raid you need to find a bunch of like-minded people in the game and raid with them over setting yourself up in a position where you have to work so hard at just getting people to attend.  WoW has so many subscribers there that the task shouldn't be that difficult.  Most content, in a way, is pretty linear when raids are concerned.  Personally I dont mind the way it is, having to progress one raid dungeon and obtain the gear to move onto the next harder one.  Its just progression in the game, the same as leveling.

I think it is a combination of my personality, game design, community, inter alia.

I am not against children playing games.  I am against being forced to group and raid with people that I do not want to group and raid with.  WoW has many subscribers and you would think that it would have a community guild for everyone.  WoW's atmosphere, immature humor, graphics, content, and other factors prevent me from feeling attached to remain subscribed.  I think WoW is more vulnerable to competition than people might realize. 

You like to raid one dungeon to obtain gear to access another dungeon.  I also like dungeons and raiding.  I was just saying that developers need more creative, innovative opportunities for people to play the game.

Personally, I havent played WoW for a number of years now.  I just got bored of a number of things and went looking for a new game.  I picked up Vanguard a year ago, and after a little break from it while hacks were at their peak; I came back for the raids.  The raiding in Vg is pretty tough and in most of the mobs there are alot of different things you must get through, not to mention a good guild to do it with.  I guess that is the real kicker at the end, though.

• LitchfieldLitchfield Member Posts: 53

one word...pessimist...i see the glass as half ful1, but we still have more to go....

• IndoIndo Member Posts: 252

I am actually sick and was unable to attend a few parties tonight.  I think that is overall a good thing, considering the amount of work I have to do tomorrow and the next day.  I have not celebrated New Year's Eve since I was in college and in Europe.

I, like many of you, do not currently play MMORPGs.  After eight years of playing MMORPGs, and in the small hope a developer, gaming executive (decision-maker) might read this, I should explain why I (and perhaps a few others) do not play MMORPGs.

The Everquest 1 community was always overrated but since WoW, the gaming community has never been worse in 8 to 9 years.  It is common for some one to get flamed.  For a topic to get hijacked.  To write biased reviews of game in spite, anger, and without objectivity. 

I do not enjoy grouping with negative, bossy children ... especially when these kids are on ventrilo.  I am not sure what they are doing all day in their (often public) schools but it is not learning character, manners, or even the English language. 

After running a WoW guild for a number of months, I felt a strong sense of relief when I finally quit.  It was less the game but more to do with the community.  I had to organize 39 of them to raid Molten Core, and just to get them to attend was a hassle.  Then, when they did show-up, getting them organized and to pay attention was a hassle.

Perhaps it is because I was both a guild leader and raid officer in EQ 1, but forced-raiding at the end game will not work when the population does not like to raid.

We want content that is exciting and different.  I feel like when I play I am required to do all these activities to obtain gear and experience to obtain more gear and experience. 

Developers need to re-engineer how players advance and develop innovative, creative, and fun ways for people to play the game.

I found LotR to be so shallow that I question if LotR would have over ten thousand subscribers had it not been for its title, Lord of the Rings.  Excellent movie.  Terrible MMO.

Do not underestimate releasing a polished game.  Vanguard has been set years back because of its premature release, loss of goodwill, and lack of trust gamers now have in companies.  The legacy of Brad McQuaid, once known for ingenuity and the masterfulness of Everquest, is now also known for something else as well. 

As the number of competitors increase, people's tolerance for buggy, incomplete games will decrease; they will simply click "cancel" to a bugged game and click "subscribe" to a game with less bugs.

Many of these readers here are young, and I will not bore anyone with a business analysis.  We are seeing innovation in games such as Guitar Hero or Rockband.  A friend of mine has Rock band for the PS3, and that is a ton of fun after a night out! ha ha ha!  This girl I know on the drums is amazing.  The Wii's success shows that people just want to have fun. 

The MMO market is a bit different than the XBox 360 market, however, and expectations for something more are there.  People want the immersion of a single player game with greater content options.

Farewell MMORPG.COM:  www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/1776402/thread/122808#1776402

From Aud Lange Syne

and auld lang syne ?

Best post on this site I've read all year. I cannot agree with you more.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

No one is forcing you to do anything.  I've raiding for a straight year with my WoW guild and there are no kids.

They're video games, not a way of life.  If you don't like them, don't play.  15 million+ people disagree with you.

It's really easy to point out the flaws in anything, but I didn't see one positive idea in your post that suggests any way to make anything better.  Reading this thread was the biggest waste of 5 minutes I think I've ever experienced.

• JasPlunJasPlun Member Posts: 155

From Aud Lange Syne

and auld lang syne ?

Great Post man! I agree with you on all of this except one. Quiting this website for sure we the mature gamers need people like you to post your opinions. I do understand your frustrations and wish you the best who knows maybe $OE or Blizzard might read this. Happy! New Year!

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,882

Man..I tend to agree with you.

But i must honestly say you lost me at that sentence.

I have a good idea for you!

Use your time out from MMOs and MMORPG.com to read Lord of the rings !

They also made a book!

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Buy a Wii and Super Mario Galaxies. Trust me on that one.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

I am optimistic.

I am not. ;)

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I have to agree with the Op on a lot of his points. I hate forced grouping.Games today do have a lot of sameness.For me time to step away for 3-4 months and  then see what we see.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670

Agree with most of that. But you are also responsible for a fair bit of the  biased reviews and plain fanboish comments we see so often in these forums.

One of things I've noticed over the last 10 years is that the most childish people in games are not the negative and bossy children, most people can deal with them easily enough. It's the 18-25 year olds acting like they are 10 that really annoy most people. This was true back in EQ/UO, it is true now in WoW/LotR/Van/EQ2.

Maybe Guild/Raid leading isn't for you then.  It is a big challenge organizing raids, getting raid calenders up that suit most people, getting people potted up and reading tactics for bosses and so on. For me it is part of the challenge of the game, I've been raid leading since EQ and a game without raiding would feel very empty for me.

Different people like to do different things, if you don't like raiding then no one is forcing you to do so. I'm currently playing WoW, been raid leader of the same guild for the last 2.5 years, people can now get T6 equivalent equipment by PvPing, but still people show up for raids because they enjoy raiding. 

If you are sick of the typical MMO then try EVE if you haven't done so already. It pretty much fits what you described above.

Again, this comes down to personal preference rather than the game itself.  It caters for a casual player base and it does it very well. Don't think it's fair to call it a terrible MMO when it does exactly what it was ment to do very well. It's just not for you.

• ProdudeProdude Member Posts: 353

Bah Bye.....

• goneglockingoneglockin Member UncommonPosts: 706

Telling an 8+ year MMORPG'er to suck it up and get back in the game is like telling someone who just got their arm blown off (ala Peter Weller/Robocop) to rub some dirt on that stump and shake it off.

We're entitled to our pessimistic grumpiness because we've seen so much potential mercilessly squandered over the years and it makes us sick.

Hope you got your things together. Hope you are quite prepared to die. Looks like we're in for nasty weather. ... There's a bad moon on the rise.

• God forbid you are forced to have to work with other people in a multiplayer game! Did you have any friends who played any mmorpg with you? I don't mean friends you met on the internet either.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

Well I have to say the best thing about us guys is we never give up,Every year at this time we are brimming with confidence for the year ahead,Sometimes we are let down(well quite alot recently)but we are always back ready for another year and for me this year is no different,I am longing for a great MMo my eyes set on TCOS but maybe 1 of the other big names could grab me come release,Lets be honest guys we are gamer`s and these posts are a waste of time because you know and I know come the end of the year we will be playing OR WAITING for a great MMO.

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941

Actually, most of what the OP has said is so very true. I also agree quitting mmorpg.com would be a mistake as this is were i get alot of info from now. Especially after being on the games websites for a year or so to be somewhat dissapointed with a completly differant game release to what they made it sound like or one with so many bugs, it may as well have been in a termite mound (VG).

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I agree with you 100 percent, and people can say its just a personal issue but its  not its an issue with most of the mature crowd this is an issue for a majority of who enjoy mmorpgs, community is what helps make mmorpgs fun what is the point in playing online with others if you cant have fun with them? You might as well play single player games.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Your wasting more minuites by posting your the one in control of your own replys dont complain about something your doing yourself lol.