Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's good?

2

Comments

  • rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

    Originally posted by logicbox9


    The only other problem I had with the game was the armor/artwork, it's terrible... people will say it keeps with the lore, but to me it feels completely uninspired. If you play a male character, and unless you are wearing a robe, I hope you enjoy wearing tights/bodysuits lvl 1-50.

    I'd hardly say they armor art is "terrible".  It is somewhat understated and realistic, as it should be in a LOTR game.  NO, there are no shoulder pieces that breath fire or would cut your own head off.  But that's not the style of the game.

    This is my current suit at level 40, almost entirely pieced together from quest rewards. 

     

     

    ____________________________________________
    im to lazy too use grammar or punctuation good

  • LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

     

    Originally posted by Die_Scream


     
    Originally posted by D4rv3n


    Are there simple classes? Or like LOTRO kind of classes?
    The classes are fairly standard MMO fare....sort of.

     

    You got your CC (Loremaster), Tank (Guardian), Healer (Minstral), Nuker (Rangers actually have in the description in the charactor creator), and Rogues (rhieves, high dmg, stealth)

    But they do conform to the LOTR lore in the design.

    *coughs* And of course there is also the captain, the best class in the game played by the best players. How could you forget to mention the captains in LotRO, hehe?

     

    Granted, I'm probably very biased, and yes, you guessed it, I play a captain. ;)

    (For the poster asking about classes, the captain is the buffer and generally speaking the jack of all trades, can do it all but is a master of none. )

     

    I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    Which class would suit me best if I liked the paladin the most in World Of Warcraft?

  • rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

    Originally posted by D4rv3n


    Which class would suit me best if I liked the paladin the most in World Of Warcraft?

    Tough call.  Depends on what you liked about Paladin.

    The closest thing I can think of is Captain.  You can do some healing and buffing, and you're not bad with a blade.  Plus, you get a pet.

    ____________________________________________
    im to lazy too use grammar or punctuation good

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    Yea it's at 90% now, so I guess I'll try that captain when it's done (about 20min).... I pretty much liked everything bout paladin.... Healing, buffs, good auras against others, good in pvp if put in the right hands :)

     

    Thanks,

    D4rv3n!

  • CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by rikilii


     
    Originally posted by logicbox9


    The only other problem I had with the game was the armor/artwork, it's terrible... people will say it keeps with the lore, but to me it feels completely uninspired. If you play a male character, and unless you are wearing a robe, I hope you enjoy wearing tights/bodysuits lvl 1-50.

     

    I'd hardly say they armor art is "terrible".  It is somewhat understated and realistic, as it should be in a LOTR game.  NO, there are no shoulder pieces that breath fire or would cut your own head off.  But that's not the style of the game.

    This is my current suit at level 40, almost entirely pieced together from quest rewards. 

     

     

    Realistic? Look at the armor, it's PAINTED on your character's body. Nice mini-skirt too. I didn't know armor in Middle Earth was so tight and form-fitting. That disgusting helmet is far from an understatement by the way. Turbine should add some dimensions to their shitty armor and the fact that it's bland wouldn't be much of a problem.

  • rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

    Originally posted by logicbox9



    Realistic? Look at the armor, it's PAINTED on your character's body. Nice mini-skirt too. I didn't know armor in Middle Earth was so tight and form-fitting. That disgusting helmet is far from an understatement by the way. Turbine should add some dimensions to their shitty armor and the fact that it's bland wouldn't be much of a problem.

    Whatever you say.  I guess you'll have to show me a picture of something better to convince me.

    And the mini-skirt is called "tassets".  Go do some research.

    ____________________________________________
    im to lazy too use grammar or punctuation good

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    Well, I'm playing it right now and I have to say It's kind of  WoW'ish but it looks okay.... I'm currently lvl 5 Dwarf Champion and I pretty much like it.... I'm going to try it out for the whole 7 days and then we'll see....

     

    @ the guy that makes fun of armor:

    Well, It's kind of true, but ohh well maybe it's not all the armors....

     

    D4rv3n!

  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

     

    Originally posted by rikilii


     
    Originally posted by logicbox9



    Realistic? Look at the armor, it's PAINTED on your character's body. Nice mini-skirt too. I didn't know armor in Middle Earth was so tight and form-fitting. That disgusting helmet is far from an understatement by the way. Turbine should add some dimensions to their shitty armor and the fact that it's bland wouldn't be much of a problem.

     

    Whatever you say.  I guess you'll have to show me a picture of something better to convince me.

    And the mini-skirt is called "tassets".  Go do some research.

    Well aside from the "tight fitting", there isn't really anything wrong with the armor example.

     

    "Skirt"???? You need to look into what actual armors really looked like. Almost all armors had a "skirt-like" piece. It had a few different names depending on what era, nation you are talking about. It protected the upper thigh, the groin and the usually a piece protected the lower abdomen as well. All vulnerable areas. The metal usually covered the upper torso - along with some sort of other armor. (heart and limbs)

    Most armor was not made entirely out of metal like you see in a lot of "fantasy" styles. First, it only provided protection from certain kinds of attacks. Chainmail was about useless alone as the links where not all that large or strong. All it is really meant to do is stop a slash. (maybe it could cause a blade to skim across rather then pierce...maybe) It offered almost no protection from a direct pierce or blunt attack. Armor almost always incorporated an under suit of padded cloth or leather. Sometimes the leather is worn OVER the metal portions as well. A solid metal plate piece was not proof against an attack, especially without some sort of padding. While a solid plate may have offered more protection against and actual penetration, concussion and resulting broken / injured bones and muscles were always a concern. Still solid pieces were vulnerable to piecing attacks and blunt attacks. By the end of the medieval era, the easy to use and easy to product "crossbow" rendered most metal armors useless. (although the crossbow had been around for a very long time, 4th century BC, it was never used to much extent for whatever reasons...probably more difficult to produce in earlier eras)

    Weight and manuverbility were key concerns as well. It didn't do anyone any good to be totally encased in armor if they couldn't move or tired out faster. Lighter armored warriors would run circles around them. Heavier armor was generally used by mounted troops for this reason. Generally. Range of motion is a factor also. The more armor, the less range of motion and slower the reaction and the more vulnerable to a faster attacker. Armor is always a trade off. More armor means more protection BUT more likely you might get hit. It more about SURVIVING the hit and still being able to fight then anything else.

    That was always the value of light "skirmisher" type troops. Again you don't see that in video games to much, especially MMO's. Lighter troops never went head to head with heavier troops, they generally harassed them from a distance or mounted skirmishers would be used against infantry formations because of their speed and ability to get in there, engage and disengage quickly. Infantry without some sort of ranged protection or counter cavalry were especially vulnerable not matter what they were wearing.

    The main problem with MMO armor is that it is only about a math stat or a bonus.  It has about zero actual realism as far as function goes.

    EDIT

    For whatever reasons, the pictures I posted are not showing up. I had some nice examples of several eras. darn.

    Oh, helmets were usually decorated in some way, more so then actual armor. Different nations / eras had different things. The helm and shield were best suited to this as they were most prominent and easiest to decorate without compromising the actual protection. This was especially true of the wealthy or nobility, again depending on the type of society and era. Horse Hair plumage was probably the most common. Actual sculpting of images into the armor (helm or otherwise) was massively expensive and as a result, very rare. (most of the stereotyped "knights" you see in most fantasy art...that level of craftsmanship did not exist and what there was, was usually carved out of wood, painted and attached to the helm. More common was colorful cloth draped to it) Wings like that helm above would have not only been impossible but if it were, would have been highly valued.

    Again sorry, I had to edit out my pictures... They just are not showing up today....

     

     

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    Well, I'm lvl 7 right now and I'm a dwarf.... I play on Ultra High (everything cranked up all the way) and the graphics arent as beatiful but I think it's cuz of the dwarfs area.... The game has a lot in common with WoW, but more content and better graphics I'd say.... Well I'll keep on playing for these 7 days and we'll see.... I'll sum everything up after I'm done....

     

    D4rv3n!

  • AckbarNLAckbarNL Member Posts: 458

    This game is not about having to be maximum level in order to do all the fun things. It's all about the journey (I believe) and things that are done on the way. Evidence the number of posts saying that (some) level 50's are bored and have nothing to do and so demand more end content.

     

     

    Playing: World of Warcraft.
    Played: Lord of the Rings Online, Starwars Galaxies.
    Tried: Starwars the Old Republic, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, Vanguard, Age of Conan, Aion.

  • Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by D4rv3n


    Well, I'm lvl 7 right now and I'm a dwarf.... I play on Ultra High (everything cranked up all the way) and the graphics arent as beatiful but I think it's cuz of the dwarfs area.... The game has a lot in common with WoW, but more content and better graphics I'd say.... Well I'll keep on playing for these 7 days and we'll see.... I'll sum everything up after I'm done....
     
    D4rv3n!

    yes your right, you cant judge the graphics by the dwarves area. Once you leave the area  thats when you see the real beauty.

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Masta22

    Originally posted by D4rv3n


    Well, I'm lvl 7 right now and I'm a dwarf.... I play on Ultra High (everything cranked up all the way) and the graphics arent as beatiful but I think it's cuz of the dwarfs area.... The game has a lot in common with WoW, but more content and better graphics I'd say.... Well I'll keep on playing for these 7 days and we'll see.... I'll sum everything up after I'm done....
     
    D4rv3n!

    yes your right, you cant judge the graphics by the dwarves area. Once you leave the area  thats when you see the real beauty.

    I hope I will :) And yes the combat system is kind of slow but I guess it'll take some getting used to.... :)

  • slythsslyths Member UncommonPosts: 200

    the thing i hate most of ppl who comment  is the way they discourage ppl from playing a game. I think we should let a person decide "alone" whether to play the game or not (except if the game is really bull****).

    So new playas... if there is a possibility to try the game b4 buyin it do it.

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    Yea that's what I'm doing.... even if it was full of bad comments I'd still give the game a try.... So far I;m pretty impressed even thoug it's kind of another WoW game.... It's all personal opinion....

     

    D4rv3n!

  • Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

    @logicbox9,

    You my friend give the world of  Middle-earth a bad name.

    And you also just called one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time , pathetic. As well as the way  "real" men dressed  for real  war  in medieval times.

    You can have your fake-looking costumes  in your wow ' but don't smack talk  Lotro just because thats the way a warrior looked in the middle- ages.

    And i totally agree with the post post that  said "let the god dam person decide for himself.

  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

    Originally posted by Bedlem3342


    @logicbox9,
     As well as the way  "real" men dressed  for real  war  in medieval times.
    You can have your fake-looking costumes  in your wow ' but don't smack talk  Lotro just because thats the way a warrior looked in the middle- ages.
     
    I got my images working. Here are some examples from many eras aside from medieval.

    Here is a Punic Era set of armor

    Roman Era...oooo looky a skirt

    Norman Era Scalemail

    A typical Medieval Era set, looks like common leather / chainmail

    Typical Viking Armors

    And a "Hollywood" style platemail suit.

     

     

    Sure are a lot of "skirts" in there...

     

     

  • CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

    You do know that the pictures you posted of real armor proves my point in how bad the armor is in this game, right?

     

    The armor in those pics are layered and flowing, not skin-tight mini skirts. Turbine should have designed a game engine that supported flowing/draping/layered armor (not just capes).

  • CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

    Originally posted by Bedlem3342


    @logicbox9,
    You my friend give the world of  Middle-earth a bad name.
    And you also just called one of the greatest fantasy writers of all time , pathetic. As well as the way  "real" men dressed  for real  war  in medieval times.
    You can have your fake-looking costumes  in your wow ' but don't smack talk  Lotro just because thats the way a warrior looked in the middle- ages.
    And i totally agree with the post post that  said "let the god dam person decide for himself.

    I hate WoW and didn't get past the trial... but thanks for assuming. Also, the only people that made middle-earth look like a fashion nightmare is Turbine.

  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

     

     

    Originally posted by logicbox9


    You do know that the pictures you posted of real armor proves my point in how bad the armor is in this game, right?
     
    The armor in those pics are layered and flowing, not skin-tight mini skirts. Turbine should have designed a game engine that supported flowing/draping/layered armor (not just capes).

    How so? I agreed with the tight part but no MMO has realistic based armor I don't care what game you point at. The base of the armor model is fine and that is what my point was.  You think EQII and its plasic clay look better? Lineage 2 probably has some of the best looking realistic based armor that I have seen. DAoC? EQ? AC? Vanguard?

     

    Here was your chief complaint

    Realistic? Look at the armor, it's PAINTED on your character's body. Nice mini-skirt too. I didn't know armor in Middle Earth was so tight and form-fitting. That disgusting helmet is far from an understatement by the way

    Tight looking,  skirts and you didn't like the style of the helm. You never went into any other detail

     

    Throw a screenie of an MMO with the type of armor that is more "realistic", not that it matters as its a fantasy video game not a simulation.

    Actually one of my Vanguard guys did have fairly realistic looking armor...his weapon on the other hand...not so much.... Ok, so play "Vancrash saga of bugs and screwy framerates" for realistic looking armor. Which you probably can't because the game is so broken and if you can, have fun playing alone, falling through the world mesh on log in with nothing more to do then grind on "kill 10 rats" type content and a raid or two at the end for your trouble.

  • AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

    eq2 has similar armor as well plenty of what you call skirts, wow is actually one of the only games that doesnt have the skirt type of armor. Hek ive seen it in oblivion you need to stop nickpicking because its just silly now maybe you prefer more fantasy armor like me and thats ok but in lotro its just realistic and in real life people have worn way worse believe me.

     

    Besides why does the skirt bother you anyways?

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

    ehhh lol I totally forgot about the game and havent logged in since I last posted.... I even kind of forgot about this post until I went on mmoprg.com... Well I'm not planning on playing it it's jus too WoW'y in my opinion....

     

     

    D4rv3n!

  • Bedlem3342Bedlem3342 Member UncommonPosts: 252

                                        It's up to you if you  don't want to play Lotro, but i think those that play MMO's and like the lord of the rings books and movies would enjoy this game. It has a great storyline and a good game for basic gamers.

  • D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by Bedlem3342


                                         It's up to you if you  don't want to play Lotro, but i think those that play MMO's and like the lord of the rings books and movies would enjoy this game. It has a great storyline and a good game for basic gamers.
     
     
    The community of the game doesn't seem to be as good as people say and I play on Landrevor or sumthin like dat and someone recommended it in this post :/
  • dragonacedragonace Member UncommonPosts: 1,185

    Originally posted by D4rv3n

    The community of the game doesn't seem to be as good as people say and I play on Landrevor or sumthin like dat and someone recommended it in this post :/

    Really?  How many people did you talk to while you tried out LoTRo?   What kind of responses made you think it wasn't good?

     

    On 1-5-08 at 9:30pm you were still at 90% downloading the trial.

    Then at 11:30pm that same day you were just out of the tutorial as you say you were level 5 Dwarf.

    You also say "I'm going to try it out for the whole 7 days and then we'll see".

    Then at 1-6-08 at 1:06am you are a level 7 Dwarf and again state: "I'll keep on playing for these 7 days and we'll see".

    Then on 1-6-08 at 1:30pm and again at 3:30pm you state you're impressed with the game.

     

    Then on 1-8-08 9pm you come back to post that you hadn't logged back in since the last post  (1-6 @ 3:30pm) and that you'd forgot all about the game... and I thought I had a bad memory.  

    Heh... so much for the trying it out for the whole 7 days... you even said it twice! 

     

    So, now you come back and say that the community isn't as good as people say.  To which I respond with, and you base this knowledge on???   By your own admissions you obviously didn't play the game very much at all.  You played in the Dwarf starting area for what... 3-4 hours?  Heh... well, thanks for giving it a try I guess.  Good luck on your next MMO. 

Sign In or Register to comment.