Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I just had a horrible thought...

What if Warhammer and Age of Conan (god forbid) both turn out to be Duds like nearly every other MMORPG in the past 2 years?....

I cannot see anything on the Horizon in the next 2 years that really strikes me as a 'can't miss' MMORPG.

I mean we have the Stargate MMO, TCOS, Aion but all of those titles will probably have a average showing.  Other then the Bioware MMO and Marvel comics MMO that will be comming out in 2-3 years the future looks horrible for this genre.    :(

------------------------------
You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Comments

• skezskez Member Posts: 8

There is a very good chance both will fall short of expectations, but as you say there isn't much else on the horizon so you can either play one of them, or stick it out in one of the current MMOs until something better comes along. Or just quit MMOs and play halo3 imo.

skez...

• OtakunOtakun Member UncommonPosts: 874

Warhammer and AoC have such a huge fanbase already that even if they are bad that people will still play them cause everyone does.

• GuitanoGuitano Member Posts: 208

Duds... although those games are not my style of mmo, they are pure cash flow mmo's. All people want these days are harsh PvP restrictions, item, gear, level based mmo's with forced questing and instances. So duds? Yes they are duds for people who want real PvP, such as SB, Classic UO and Darkfall.

• ZikielZikiel Member Posts: 1,138

Might be, there are other games, hell, there are other systems for that matter. Gonna have to wait and see, I expect Warhammer to do fine, massive playerbase coupled with the game being a WoW clone (swear to god, bitch at me about how it's really a clone of so and so previous game..) will work out. And Conan has loads of fans, crazy as hell graphics, boobs, and seems like it plays like nothing else does at the moment.

• ValaraukoGRValaraukoGR Member Posts: 78

There should be a 3rd generation mmorpg that will be good; I mean really good, with more than 1mil subscribers.  I don’t know if AoC or WAR will be that good. I just hope so…

• SunriderSunrider Member UncommonPosts: 527

Originally posted by Otakun
    Warhammer and AoC have such a huge fanbase already that even if they are bad that people will still play them cause everyone does.

thats partially true. the fan base surrounding those are people who want something better then WoW and if these games fail to deliver it will be shunned like vanguard.

"And after blizzard takes over the world, they are gonna gather a bunch of lemmings, sit on their fat asses near a cliff, and watch the little fuzzy bastards suicide dive into the ground below. . . . . all just for their own entertainment."

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of the "must play" mentality and drive.  What happens to the over hyped MMOs like that? Two things. A: Creativity comes to a halt because its a cash cow, why try to do anything new? B: The community turns to shite. As population increases, so does the ratio of mature players to spamming unreasonable noobhats, and one annoying noob is enough to piss off and ruin it for many many other players. Complexity can also take a dive as people complain certain mechanics are "too hard" or "too confusing." Bottom line, there's something to be said for interesting niche MMOs that don't attract a quarter million WoW refugees.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Personally these two games really dont bring any new things to the table. AoC is trying it with the new combat system, and in War you will have tome of knowledge, public quest and also you dont need to kill the same bears again if you have already so. There's good and bad in this point in that players can really level up very fast when you remove the grind, but this game will be a less grind....

So i think ultimately it will hugely depend on what is their end-game content. If its still grind for gears than both games will really wear out players very fast and most will leave the game. And right now no  company is willing to take the risk to come out with anything drastically new. Maybe only Darkfall, if it get release...

RIP Orc Choppa

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by Tinybina

What if Warhammer and Age of Conan (god forbid) both turn out to be Duds like nearly every other MMORPG in the past 2 years?....
    I cannot see anything on the Horizon in the next 2 years that really strikes me as a 'can't miss' MMORPG.
    I mean we have the Stargate MMO, TCOS, Aion but all of those titles will probably have a average showing.  Other then the Bioware MMO and Marvel comics MMO that will be comming out in 2-3 years the future looks horrible for this genre.    :(

It is my fear also

Basically if this two games fail to deliver (and it might easily happen - judging from 2006-2007 experience)

Than until 2010 there will not even be a chance for seeing any good MMO.

Basically if AOC and WAR fail to deilver , it is a bye bye to MMOs

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

And still this topic is what games  you like, many others see a bright future for other mmo's in development, and the ones you mentioned are already failors:P

You are a tipicial mass brainwashed player who only go for the most named or hyped games there is, more and even superior games comming soon or on market right now, so what your saying is just bull:P

But thats what troll is all about, be negative and spread rumors:P

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

No need to wory, even John Romero is making a new super secret MMO. 

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

I'll be playing Aion thanks ;)

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

this 2007 year has been horrific in the world of mmorpg, im sure that only way from now; is up

im quite sure that the few big names that are coming next year will be good change for those who are seeking it

• AristeaAristea Member Posts: 181

I'm going to be buying WAR and Chronicles of Spellborn. I'm going to stick to the one I like the most. In case I like them both equal, I'm going to cut down on one of my other payed games, like HG:L and EVE.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Pre-NGE Star Wars Galaxies is something (else) I personally have hopes for.

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Of course they'll fall short of expectations. There seems to be a hobby made of putting soon-to-be-released games on a pedestal and worshipped like the second coming. How can anything live up to the intense hype and hyper-driven expectations that seem to run amok?

I suggest an alternative approach: know nothing and be surprised. Wait for the releases to come to market and give them a fair shake, knowing nothing about them in advance except perhaps a review or two. I guarantee you will have a much more enjoyable visit in the game.

• slippyCslippyC Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by forest-nl

And still this topic is what games  you like, many others see a bright future for other mmo's in development, and the ones you mentioned are already failors:P

You are a tipicial mass brainwashed player who only go for the most named or hyped games there is, more and even superior games comming soon or on market right now, so what your saying is just bull:P

Or.....

Because you like to rebel against what is popular, doesn't make you right either.  I use to be just like you, and still am a lot when it comes to music. 

Just something for you to think about.  Not all the time because something is popular makes it bad.  Sometimes there is a good reason for something to be popular, because just maybe it is actually good(of course that is in your opinion it would be good).

You are shortchanging yourself over there buddy.  Don't get to caught up in your rebellious attitude and try to see stuff for what it is.  You are only cutting yourself out of some of the fun for being that way. 

And yes, I still even have to work at it myself...

• KremlikKremlik Member UncommonPosts: 716

good or bad.. IF both games at least feel like their respective IPs have they will at least very likly have their current fanbases, you know the fanbase that exsisted before the MMOs did (unlike the 'Wori' beleaf that 'MMO is origin') will deffinitly play the MMO and they'll have their own nishe market, kinda the reverse 'WoW effect'.. although it may kill the 'mass market MMO' which TBH isn't a bad thing, most of these players which really only play MMOs 'coz it's kool' will quite happily jump back onto the next Halo/Zelda/Mario/Crash on the console... which I highly suspect they will anyway once WoW's and respective clones hype dyes out finally..

Bring on the WARRRRGGHH!

• JrodJrod Member Posts: 234

Really if War and AoC do bad I won't care that much cause Stargate snd Spellborn look like the two best mmo's right now.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Originally posted by forest-nl

LOL what?  About the only thing I understood from your post above was the :P.

But back to the topic, I sure hope AOC and/or WAR live up to my expectations.  I think AOC will have a crap load of depth since it somes from the company that made Anarchy Online.   WAR on the other hand looks like it will have very good combat but its the rest of the content that worry me.

After those two titles though, nothing good looks to be comming out untill maybe early 2009:( 

Maybe Huxley or Maybe TCOS, but thats about it.

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• sunjenkweisunjenkwei Member Posts: 133
    Originally posted by Otakun

Indeed....

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

I could see AoC either turning out to be a dud or just having a horrible launch.  Not saying this will happen, just saying that I think the potential is there.

I doubt that WAR will turn out to be a dud, however I won't be surprised in the least if WAR turns out to just be more of the same old stuff in a new, shiny skin.  Either way though, I'd expect WAR to have a good amount of subs considering how desperate everyone is right now and assuming that it's fairly polished.

Really though, we shouldn't put our hopes on these AAA MMO's.  It's unlikely that any of these are going to stray too far from the old formula or the new trend towards watering everything down.  If theres any hope for the genre it's with the lesser known and lower budget titles, IMO.  

• iamloseriamloser Member Posts: 61

I don't suspect AoC to fall too short, but I'm still leaning on Warhammer.

atsdf.com
    Among The Shadows
    Darkfall Clan

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

huxley looked good....

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• RaitsesmanRaitsesman Member UncommonPosts: 215

i thing Aion and Stargate worlds will be a huge hit what I can't miss .