Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Millions of players

Now i got the collectors edition box and this is what it said and i quoate "millions of player" not characters players. Now i never would have thought that lotro had millions of subscibers more around 200k - 300K

I just wanted to know if this is true because I don't understand how its not since its right from Turbines product. Also turbine also stated once that it was the 2nd most populated game playing second to WoW obviously but they said they would never release their actuall numbers since theirs no bragging rights for second.

Comments

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

They started of with just over a Million  but that dropped in the first few months , But you have to remember with all the hype surrounding the release & clever marketing they netted 200,000 - 300,000 Lifetime accounts  so there allways classed as current subscibers so add that to the normal playerbase & you might be around 600k - 700k , so no mater how bad the game gets that can  allway's say they have 200k+ no matter what

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

They don't have Millions of players more like 250-650k. How can they be second most pop. game when WoW is?

how can they be the second when WoW is second? at 8.5mil+ L2 at 14+mil?

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

Originally posted by lionexx

They don't have Millions of players more like 250-650k. How can they be second most pop. game when WoW is?

14 Million ? really , so with the 9 US servers that would mean that asia would have to have  150+ servers thats impressive ..

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

They have over 14 billion subscribers.

Everyone on the planet is dual boxing...  EDIT (at least).

• khartman2005khartman2005 Member Posts: 477

Lord of the Rings Online is the second most popular MMO in the US not worldwide. I swear some of you all just like to stir up drama.

Really who cares anyways, as long as the game has subscribers and is still running who cares. Hell UO is still going and that game is very old (still good as I still play it). SWG which started out good and then became a turd fest is still going (on life support but still going).

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by khartman2005

Lord of the Rings Online is the second most popular MMO in the US not worldwide. I swear some of you all just like to stir up drama.
    How can we really know that, as long as Turbine refuses to publish the subscription numbers?
    Really who cares anyways, as long as the game has subscribers and is still running who cares. Hell UO is still going and that game is very old (still good as I still play it). SWG which started out good and then became a turd fest is still going (on life support but still going).
    Seems like you care too, regardless what you say. First you cared enough to read, then you cared enough to post.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Originally posted by Netspook

How can we really know that, as long as Turbine refuses to publish the subscription numbers?
    Seems like you care too, regardless what you say. First you cared enough to read, then you cared enough to post.

It is just all this annoying posts about how many subs LOTRO has

There is at least one such post weekly on this forums. I guess trolls can not find nothing wrong about LOTRO so they attack the sub numbers

And guess what

300 K subs is the estimate - which is fantastic

Since LOTRO is not 9 million pound Big Mac , nor it is Asian bot bonanza

Wanna prove of LOTR popularity

I logged in WOW highly pop server yesterday, and saw 1 person in newbie area.

I logged in LOTRO high pop server , and saw 20 people at newbie area.

How bout that ?

• ValaraukoGRValaraukoGR Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Lobotomist

How bout that ?

You could see 20 ppl at the WoW newbie area if you had logged in a LOW pop server ;)

There is at least one such post weekly on this forums. I guess trolls can not find nothing wrong about LOTRO so they attack the sub numbers

And guess what

Who's estimate? I've seen everything between 50k and 800k.

I logged on to WoW yesterday, I will even tell which server: Anachronos (EU). If there was collisions in WoW, I wouldn't been able to reach the auctioneers in SW. No, I'm not kidding.

When I played LOTRO, I never saw more than 2 others in the newbie area. Ok, that was before the public trials started (I was on an invited 3 days trial), but still.

How bout that ?

If you are trying to give an impression that LOTRO has more players than WoW, then I guess you're the biggest troll among us... :)

Originally posted by ValaraukoGR

How bout that ?

You could see 20 ppl at the WoW newbie area if you had logged in a LOW pop server ;)

You dont want to be playing at low pop server in WOW. Believe me.

Not unless you want never to do any instance dungeon with a group.

WoW is a good game. But it is only playable if you started playing it at least year ago.

It is over now

And guess what

Who's estimate? I've seen everything between 50k and 800k.

I logged on to WoW yesterday, I will even tell which server: Anachronos (EU). If there was collisions in WoW, I wouldn't been able to reach the auctioneers in SW. No, I'm not kidding.

When I played LOTRO, I never saw more than 2 others in the newbie area. Ok, that was before the public trials started (I was on an invited 3 days trial), but still.

How bout that ?

If you are trying to give an impression that LOTRO has more players than WoW, then I guess you're the biggest troll among us... :)

Nobody says LOTRO has more players than WOW

Nor will any MMO ever again have more players than WOW has  now.

LOTRO does best possible for a PVE MMO that is not WOW.

But i am saying that WOW is literary DEAD. 99% pop in WOW is max level for over a year now.

They are either bored out of their minds with WOW now - or they are impulsive compulsive braindead zombies. WOW is now a stagnant pool of puss. And when WAR comes out you will be seeing WOW

sink like TITANIC and its fanboys leaving like rats leaving sinking ship.

WoW is a good game. But it is only playable if you started playing it at least year ago.
    It is over now

Maybe it's over for you. It's not for me.

I recently went back to WoW. And I'm having a good time. Both my new toon and my old lvl 70 are very playable.

I wonder why subscription numbers keeps increasing if WoW is unplayable for those who started this year...

Lies. WoW has great PvE contents all the way. It even has PvE contents after hitting max lvl. Can't say the same about LOTRO. 
    But i am saying that WOW is literary DEAD. 99% pop in WOW is max level for over a year now.

They are either bored out of their minds with WOW now - or they are impulsive compulsive braindead zombies.
    Lvl 70 for OVER a year? And TBC is UNDER a year old. More lies.
    WOW is now a stagnant pool of puss.
    So is LOTRO for those at max lvl. At least WoW has options.
    And when WAR comes out you will be seeing WOW

We heard the same when LOTRO was close to release. Hehe. 

Lies. WoW has great PvE contents all the way. It even has PvE contents after hitting max lvl. Can't say the same about LOTRO. 

They are either bored out of their minds with WOW now - or they are impulsive compulsive braindead zombies.
    Lvl 70 for OVER a year? And TBC is UNDER a year old. More lies.
    WOW is now a stagnant pool of puss.
    So is LOTRO for those at max lvl. At least WoW has options.
    And when WAR comes out you will be seeing WOW

We heard the same when LOTRO was close to release. Hehe. 

For somebody so obviously in love with WOW , you spend awful lot of time in LOTRO forum

Why is that ?

For somebody so obviously in love with WOW , you spend awful lot of time in LOTRO forum

Why is that ?

I spend a lot of time in several forums.

Loving WoW is no reason to stay away from other games.It's possible to love several, if you don't understand that, then you're very narrow minded.

Btw, I don't love LOTRO, but I don't hate it either. But I do hate the fact that whenever a non-fanboy comment appears, especially here at the LOTRO forum, there's usually some stupid replies attempting to bash WoW for unknown reasons. Introduced in this thread too, by you, in post #8.

Why is that ?

I spend a lot of time in several forums.

Loving WoW is no reason to stay away from other games.It's possible to love several, if you don't understand that, then you're very narrow minded.

Btw, I don't love LOTRO, but I don't hate it either. But I do hate the fact that whenever a non-fanboy comment appears, especially here at the LOTRO forum, there's usually some stupid replies attempting to bash WoW for unknown reasons. Introduced in this thread too, by you, in post #8.

I have nothing against WOW. It is an excelent game.

I  only get mad when i see people comparing every MMO to WOW. Ok so it has 9 mil players. Ok , so it is good.

But it does not mean that any other MMO that does not manage to create as much hype is automatically bad.

Nor it means it is dying

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by lionexx

Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be a strong point among LotRO haters.

The millions, is number of LotRO boxes sold, not current subs.

Current subs is estimated at over 350k.  That is where they would have to be to be 2nd in population.

The ranking of second most populated MMO is in North America ONLY, not world wide.  This title is not released in the Asian markets.  EU, Austrailia, and North America only.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• Masta22Masta22 Member Posts: 298

what I cant stand tho is the WOW people who think that it invented the genre so they call anything else a clone.

• xephonicsxephonics Member UncommonPosts: 672

Originally posted by Masta22

what I cant stand tho is the WOW people who think that it invented the genre so they call anything else a clone.

QFTW

yah i agree with you fully there.

My god has horns.... nah, I don't think he is real either.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Masta22 is the winnar at the intranets!!!111oneoneone

This thread can now be closed.   :P

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

your kidding right ? Its more like the wow hater that state every game is a wow clone , not the actual wow players ..

• OrtisaiOrtisai Member Posts: 162

stop hating on a obviously good game,  i had a chance to return to wow, go to hellgate or return to ffxi, i bought LOTR...

and stop using green to reply, you fruit cake

• Gamer_17Gamer_17 Member Posts: 202

I created this thread not to bash lotro i love the game i simply wanted to see if it was possible that their were millions of players playing. but right away some single minded idiots jumped to the conclusion that i was bashing lotro player count.

so anyway does any one think this is true i hope it is because its a great game with the potential for many more milions of players voice your opinions please

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by Gamer_17

I created this thread not to bash lotro i love the game i simply wanted to see if it was possible that their were millions of players playing. but right away some single minded idiots jumped to the conclusion that i was bashing lotro player count.
    so anyway does any one think this is true i hope it is because its a great game with the potential for many more milions of players voice your opinions please

The quote referencing "millions of players" may have been from the world preview before launch, where they allowed anyone to try the game for free. There was a webpage that had a counter on it, but I really doubt it was accurate. I'm not even sure if the counter made it to one million. They may have been tracking the number of downloads from FilePlanet, or just approximating based on the number of world preview accounts created.

Bottom line is ... there are plenty of people playing the game, but probably not more than a million. People should research server populations however before deciding on a server to play on. Some of the servers are somewhat underpopulated from what I've read.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Best guess (since they don't publish numbers) puts the total number of active subs well under a million.

Mostly that's based on the fact they have like perhaps 24 servers maximum?  at 20000 subs per box (a high number) that would put them under 500k subs.

I don't believe they've added any servers since about 2 weeks after the initial release so I doubt the game is growing in leaps in bounds.

(Contrast this with WOW's 430 plus servers just in the US and EU.)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon