Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1gb dual channel or 1.5gb non-dual channel?

Kon85Kon85 Member Posts: 88

Hello,

I know something about computers, I've managed to built my own computer after some research, but I'm a little bit stuck on a memory thing.

At the moment, I have 1GB DDR400 dual channel(2x512) on my motherboard. I do not have another memory slot free on my motherboard.

I just got 1gb ddr400 from a friend(1x1024) who didn't need that anymore. The thing is, if I install the 1gb, that means I have to take out 1 512 bar, and loose the dual channel option(since 1x 512 and 1x1024 are not the same).

So what is faster/better for mmorpg's like lotro and Warhammer online? -->

1gb dual channel OR 1.5gb without dual channel?

Any help appreciated.

Kon

Comments

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

I too am almost in the same situation. I would like to know too. I have 2gig 800mhz dual channel ddr2 and another half gig of ddr2 (dont know speed) I dont know whats better either. add the 512mb w/ the 2gig or just keep the 2gig?

• CresilDamasCresilDamas Member Posts: 28

Dual Channel may be a bit faster, BUT there is a slight problem with it. It takes up more space. For example. You said you had to take out a 512MB for a 1GB and that leaves you with 1.5GB. Now, it would be all the same if you were to just buy/get a 512MB also. Now, Apparently you bought a very cheap Mother Board. Most ones I see now adays are 4 Slot - 8 Slot. Mines a 6 Slot. Costs about 300$ though. Havn't been able to use it since it costs a slight bit of money to build it. Now go to www.TigerDirect.com and Just look up a new mother board, or if you don't want a new one just look up 2X 2GB PNY RAM chips. Yes it's a Dual Channel but alot faster.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

If you're using pc3200 (400mhz speed) just go buy another 1ghz chip for cheap and you'll have 2 ghz.

I probably wouldn't even bother with that 512k chip. That's just me personally.

For the other guy...don't stick that extra ram in your system...if its slower speed than what you have now you'll actually decrease your performance.

D.

• Kon85Kon85 Member Posts: 88

I know 2 slots on a motherboard isnt that great, but buying a new motherboard isnt an option.

I also know it's far better to buy 2x 1gb so ill get 2gb in dual channel, but that also isnt an option. I do not have money to buy pc parts at the moment.

So my question remains; keep 1gb at dual channel? Or get 1.5gb non dual channel for mmorpg's like lotro and warhammer online?

I'd say just run the 1ghz dual channel. I could be wrong though.

D.

• Kon85Kon85 Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by daelnor

I'd say just run the 1ghz dual channel. I could be wrong though.
    D.

Why?

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

If you are really tired of booting times, and start up in most other progrms(especially games), insert that extra ram.

If you see huge improvement in performance, remove. As I understood you have nothing to lose.

Before Dual Channel memory came along we were doing just fine.

My bet is that 1.5gb none dual channel is better than 1gb dual channel.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.

Just play with it and see, I guess.

D.