Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graphics Card Help

sheeshsheesh Member Posts: 330

Alright, so I got a PNY 8600GT for Christmas. I had been running in XP and tonight I decided to try out Vista so I could see DX10. Yes, I know, the 8600 isn't the best card in the world. Anyways, I installed Vista and my motherboard drivers. I went to install the GPU drivers, but it says that there is no graphics card found in my system. I have like quadruple checked that it is inserted properly, though it hasn't been touched since XP and it was working fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or knows a solution? I'm running Vista Home Premium.

Comments

• D4rv3nD4rv3n Member Posts: 164

What you mean by that? Try going to nvidia.com and getting the drivers from there... It should work... Btw you shudve posted this in Hardware forums

• sheeshsheesh Member Posts: 330

Ahh, sorry. I didn't see the Hardware forum. And yes. I downloaded the newest drivers and it said the same thing.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Now, can I assume the card is working without the drivers right? Standard VGA mode? If not, then reseat the card because one thing I've found with all video cards is that they have to be seated just right to be detected and sometimes recognized. Otherwise, you got a borked card and I would RMA that sucker ASAP.

-- Brede

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Originally posted by ladyattis

Now, can I assume the card is working without the drivers right? Standard VGA mode? If not, then reseat the card because one thing I've found with all video cards is that they have to be seated just right to be detected and sometimes recognized. Otherwise, you got a borked card and I would RMA that sucker ASAP.
    -- Brede
    First they don't make 8600GT in AGP, highest they do in AGP is 7900GS I think.

To the OP make sure your video card is seated right like this guy said. The latch should be fully seated down and the card flush, no narrowing of the video cards base showing.

Then make sure you got POWER going to the card. There should be a 6 pin power cable inlet to plug in power to it from your PSU (power supply unit).

If you do not have the proper power cable check to see if the card came with an adapter. Then make sure to power back up and uninstall the video driver from the control panel in add remove hardware. Select Nvidia and then select remove only the following display or video driver. After that restart the PC then install the driver again for the video card. Once thats done restarted and it should work.

If not then check to make sure where on your motherboard you have the PCIE slot at. If you have 2 PCIE slots make sure your card is in the slot labeled PCIE 1 slot.

If all that fails then go back into hardware configuration and select the device manager and click display adapters to see if it is listed, if it isn't but shows something else select it and select uninstall.

Good luck.

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

PNY Support Page

PNY will probably give you a better answer then any other source.

Originally posted by bezado
    Anything that has to be seated in an electrical contact system can easily be disturbed. The fact that you make such an ignorant statement about electronics makes me wonder if you've actually dealt with anything in regards to them. So, please, don't play this 1-up bunk with me. Reseating any hardware in its electrical connector is a good idea when there seems to be no contact by the OS.

-- Brede

Originally posted by bezado

Anything that has to be seated in an electrical contact system can easily be disturbed. The fact that you make such an ignorant statement about electronics makes me wonder if you've actually dealt with anything in regards to them. So, please, don't play this 1-up bunk with me. Reseating any hardware in its electrical connector is a good idea when there seems to be no contact by the OS.

-- Brede

Well I just re-read your post. I sometimes do not read slow enough and being that I usually am up all night I sometimes quote things that I thought I seen. I am old what can I say. Anyway I thought you meant that you said what is it standard AGP card or something. Thats why my statement corrected that which I thought you said.

My whole remarks where spot on. You didn't even go through the other possibilities like I did. All you suggested was reseating the card but thats a given for most. I went through the whole process in detail to get him the best help possible to a fix. Now to who is ignorant? Mine was a miss quote on something I thought you said, but the other info I supplied was exactly what he would of got if you were such an expert.

The other particular issues of secondary power cables isn't really that significant because such connections are often visible at cursory inspection. It's the card seating that often messes up the BIOS' ability to detect and report daughter boards.

-- Brede

The other particular issues of secondary power cables isn't really that significant because such connections are often visible at cursory inspection. It's the card seating that often messes up the BIOS' ability to detect and report daughter boards.
    -- Brede

I believe this is a consumer who got a new graphics card and installed it himself. With many the times these people have no idea they needed to plug the new video card into the PSU. Mind you without the power pluged into the card it will not work and you get the same problems issued here most times. This is the 2nd biggest thing we see on Nvidia forums for noobs first time upgrading there new PC's with better video cards.

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

Well, the OP is obviously not an expert, it is entirely possible he didn't connect the power cable, or even realize he had to, or not connected it properly. There is just as much chance of not connecting the power properly as there is of not seating the card itself properly.

But I'm going to duck out of the way and watch the mud slinging from the wayside. Carry on.

D.

Nah, I just took it the wrong way, I had a bad day that day. Anyways, I always suggest to reseat a card because it's often the most common problem next to forgetting the extra power cables. I don't know how many times I've had that issue even with my PCIe based GPUs (I'm glad I only had one incident so far with my new motherboard, yay for buying quality product this time!). It's like it has to be *just* right to work even if all the contacts are touching.

-- Brede