Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't like the collision system in this game

I'm really looking forward to this game, because its "something different" beside all of these cookie cutter world of warcraft copied mmos...

but while watching some combat videos of age of conan I noticed that the collision detection is terrible..

for example if you attack an enemy your sword swings through your enemy (the animation looks terrible) and the next thing you see are just some blood splashes and thats it...

looks like your character does some random animation while the opponent is standing randomly at the same place your sword swings through... and then all of these redicilous blood splashes, how much blood does the inviduals have in age of conan, 150 litre ? :D

I hope funcom overworks the combat animations and collision detection, because at present they look really redicilous..

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

Comments

• oronisioronisi Member Posts: 284

Collision detections usually get tweaked throughout beta, and into the live game, to look smoother.  And I'm hoping the blood gets toned down as well.  TR had some crazy swirly lights that reminded me of a rave going on for all characters in beta, but they toned them WAY down for launch.  I'm guessing they are just playing with the settings for now.

• TheChronicTheChronic Member Posts: 253

Originally posted by oronisi

Collision detections usually get tweaked throughout beta, and into the live game, to look smoother.  And I'm hoping the blood gets toned down as well.  TR had some crazy swirly lights that reminded me of a rave going on for all characters in beta, but they toned them WAY down for launch.  I'm guessing they are just playing with the settings for now.

yeah, thats what I'm hoping...

I really dont see any other top title for 2008 beside age of conan, so I hope it will get as good as possible, so:

if anyone from Funcom reads this, please tweak the blood splashes and the collision detection!

"You must be either retarded or a fanboi..."

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by TheChronic

Originally posted by oronisi

I really dont see any other top title for 2008 beside age of conan, so I hope it will get as good as possible, so:

if anyone from Funcom reads this, please tweak the blood splashes and the collision detection!

Hey Chronic!

Just wanted to say that if you read the official forums there was alot of feedback regarding to blood and C.D. I dont know if you have watched the latested trailer "bar story" mmorpg.com has it listed in the video section. But here with this new video compared to older videos from a few months ago you can really see that the C.D. is being worked on. In said video there is a clip where a guy with a club swings upwards and connects with a foe spot on. Which is great. The major blood splashes on the screen come from a 'fatality' move which doesnt happen very often. In normal combat mode there is still quite a bit of blood but personally I've noticed its a lot less from watching the videos now, than say back in the summer.

So yes I agree with you that maybe in some cases it needs to be tuned down a little. It also looks like C.D. as in body blocking works well in combat too. I think in January or soon they will show some large scale PvP and show us how C.D will work out in formations which would be awesome too.

Just wanted to add that there was alot of feedback in these area's on the official forum and Im sure that the devs have taken note  ;)

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

you would want to get everything right first (models, script, animations) then you go into fine tuning the whole thing (notice that the Mammoth is not on the ground in the mount video but floating.  they smooth this part out at a later date to save on time.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Be glad it has some collision detection. Ive plaed some pvP games without collision detection and its just silly. Melee suffer a lot when the enemy can run through them at to the healers/casters

Torrential

• spbrookespbrooke Member Posts: 82

While reading a few of the Hands-On-Previews being written, a few of the testers have said that they were only able to play melee classes.  A few of them said, when in a group, if they were all trying to fight one mob, it could get very hard to find a spot to attack.  Because the people already in fighting were blocking you.  But hopefully this wont be a problem at release, because of course players will be able to play other classes.  It still could be a problem.  Hopefully Funcom is going to try fix that

Osahar Ismassri
    Conscript of King's Guard
    http://guild-of-kings-guard.com/

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

im a bit frustrated with the idea of gushing blood over your screen when fatality happens... this aint mortal kombat you know ?     all though if you lop someones head off nice and clean of course theres lots and lots of blood coming out ( i havent tested that though) anyone remember movie "300" ? there was a scene where that young boy got hes head removed for him and there was like... no blood at all not even at the tip of the sword.. fun stuff..

• LissLiss Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by spbrooke

While reading a few of the Hands-On-Previews being written, a few of the testers have said that they were only able to play melee classes.  A few of them said, when in a group, if they were all trying to fight one mob, it could get very hard to find a spot to attack.  Because the people already in fighting were blocking you.  But hopefully this wont be a problem at release, because of course players will be able to play other classes.  It still could be a problem.  Hopefully Funcom is going to try fix that

That is something to worry about, i wonder how difficult it was to find a spot to attack?

I do think that the benefits of body collision outweigh the cons. Especially in PvP.

/sarcasm on "Wouldnt it be crazy to be a tank in pvp and actually be able to protect your casters and healers? And well.....TANK"? /sarcasm off

I know that when this is implimented a lot more tanks arent going to be as worried about putting out dps when he can actually get between a bad guy and his healer. Would be a nice change to the standard "run after the other melee while he chases the people in cloth and hope you kill him before he kills them."

Tanks actually controlling the line and going toe to toe in pvp.....i cannot wait.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

I dont know if you have watched the latested trailer "bar story" mmorpg.com has it listed in the video section. But here with this new video compared to older videos from a few months ago you can really see that the C.D. is being worked on. In said video there is a clip where a guy with a club swings upwards and connects with a foe spot on.

The problem is that the trailer is just that - a trailer. It does not reflect actual gameplay very well as it is essentially choreographed. Yes, a lot of it is actual in-game footage, but it is composed of many takes and edited.

In the scene where the guy gets smacked in the head with a club, that could have been the fifth time capturing that. The first time the guy could have been too far away, resulting in a hit as far as mechanics are concerned, but in actuality the graphics could have showed a miss. The second time the guy could have been too close and the club went through his head. Or hell, it could have been just a script that runs and gets it right every time.

The point is, professional trailers that are not the best way to judge a game as they only show what they want you to see. I would rather see a few minutes of straight footage, uncut and unedited, like the videos another thread linked to. They show things closer to how they really are, which is far and away worse. Skating, lag, etc. This trailer shows none of that.

I have yet to be impressed with combat in any real videos that just show continuous gameplay.

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

One of those reviewers mentioned that a casting char was wreaking havok until a developer 'ran around' the melee tanks and got to the caster.  Clearly, tanks will be able to physically block attackers from getting at weaker chars and that is a welcome game mechanic.

~\_/~\_O

• LissLiss Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by burmese

One of those reviewers mentioned that a casting char was wreaking havok until a developer 'ran around' the melee tanks and got to the caster.  Clearly, tanks will be able to physically block attackers from getting at weaker chars and that is a welcome game mechanic.
    QFT.

I cannot WAIT. ive never really liked playing the tanking types before but just this one change makes me excited to try it out.

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116

Originally posted by TheChronic

The issue I was thinking of with full collision detection is whats to stop some jerk on your side from blocking a doorway and just standing there not letting anyone through lol.

Also: "I really dont see any other top title for 2008 beside age of conan, so I hope it will get as good as possible, so:"

Really? REALLY??!! No  other top title for 2008? Hmmmmmm......

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by fatpanda

The issue I was thinking of with full collision detection is whats to stop some jerk on your side from blocking a doorway and just standing there not letting anyone through lol.

Also: "I really dont see any other top title for 2008 beside age of conan, so I hope it will get as good as possible, so:"
    Really? REALLY??!! No  other top title for 2008? Hmmmmmm......
    Its not going to be a problem, the situation in green writing has already had a dev answer where by in towns, cities / safe places this wont be an issue.

However, you can body block the enterance to a BattleKeep :P against people on opposing side only.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Originally posted by spbrooke

But isnt that the purpose with collision detection? It should be diffecult to find a spot to attack. And you can block or defend others.

• fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116

Yeah but if the mob is surrounded by melee types, how fun is it for a caster to find a spot that doesn't say "target not in line of sight" because you're mates are blocking you?

• spbrookespbrooke Member Posts: 82

Yeah but if the mob is surrounded by melee types, how fun is it for a caster to find a spot that doesn't say "target not in line of sight" because you're mates are blocking you?

I dont think that will be much of problem really.  Hopefully they make it so casters can "shoot through" players in their team.  And most of the casters will shoot spells using a cone.  So to hit an enemy the player will need to make sure that their target is in that cone of effect.

Osahar Ismassri
    Conscript of King's Guard
    http://guild-of-kings-guard.com/

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

If mob#1 is surrounded by 4 melee fighters then everyone else should be looking for mob#2.  As a caster or an archer you've already had your shot before the enemy closed to melee range.  If you outnumber the enemy 5 to 1 then it should be over quickly anyhow.  Of course I'm assuming that the mob is only mansized.  It would make sense for more people to be able to target something the size of a dragon.