Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AOC support 64 bit Vista?

hey all i am building a new computer to play the new DX 10 games and i have had 64 bit windows vista ultimate installed. will this game play on it?

2ndly tell me how well i did on my machine for AOC.

Q6600 intel processor

Gigabyte x38-DQ6 mobo

4 gig Hynux  (Korean equivalent of Crucial) heatsink DDR 2 800 ram

Nvidia 8800GT 512mb video card

500g Seagate 7200 rpm HD

650 watt power supply

Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit edition

While not the best (Dang the best stuff is like double price) I think this system is top of the line...at least i hope it is heh.

I am also thinking of overclocking the ram and processor a little bit (but not too much)

I read on Tom's Hardware that the Q6600 and the DDR2 ram with the heatsink coupled with the Gigabyte mobo is a very good setup to overclock on.

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

As there is no official word on what specs are needed to run Conan on high setting yet it's a bit early to be predicting how well certain systems will run it. so far all they are saying is that of your PC can run Oblivion then you can run Age of Conan. This could mean that if you can run Oblivion on max settings then you can run Conan on low settings for all we know. At a guess i'd say your machine will be more than sufficient for AoC in DX9 mode, as for DX10 it all depends on how well they implement it, we've all seen how DX10 turned out on some games.

Haven't seen any mention of it running as a 64bit program, but i would hope so as it is meant to be a cutting edge next gen game and 64bit processors and OS's have been around for a while now.

As long as you know what you are doing then i would recommend overclocking the CPU as the 8800 series cards gain quite heftily in terms of frame rate from it on a lot of games.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

I don't think you need to worry, since I manage a gamer's cybercafe and have 10 machines that are on Vista 64-bit (rest are on XP), I can tell you I have yet to find ONE game I couldn't run on them, and they run beautifully.

I've installed and run:

Valve STEAM cybercafe programme, World of Warcraft, Pirates of the Burning Sea BETA, Call of Duty 4, Crysis, World in Conflict, Medal of Honor Airborne, Warcraft 3... you name it, I've installed it.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

I wouldnt worry. I too have the same 64 bit vista and I have played many MMORPGs (old and new) on them without problems. Ive little concern that AoC and WAR will both run.

Torrential

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Yep its been confirmed that Age of Conan will run on a 64-bit client. They also said quad core optimisation is in progress too a few months back.

I think you have a cool looking system, but the graphics card might be a bit lacking, if you can get the GTS version ($20 more here for the 256mb version) it would be soooo much better than the 512mb GT, or even for $40 more than the 8600 GT the ATI HD3850 will be an even better buy still.

With you motherboard supporting crossfire at a later date you could even get another if you wanted.

• ChainmailChainmail Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Yep its been confirmed that Age of Conan will run on a 64-bit client. They also said quad core optimisation is in progress too a few months back.
    I think you have a cool looking system, but the graphics card might be a bit lacking, if you can get the GTS version ($20 more here for the 256mb version) it would be soooo much better than the 512mb GT, or even for $40 more than the 8600 GT the ATI HD3850 will be an even better buy still.
    With you motherboard supporting crossfire at a later date you could even get another if you wanted.

Yeah I know my video card is kind of the weak link, but I live in S. Korea and they simply don't have some stuff. I had a choice of the 8800 GT or the 8800 GTX I belive. Anyways the GT was almost $300 here while the GTX was almost $500.

Same situation for the 6600 intel chip..they didnt have the 6700 and in between versions, the next one was the 6850 I believe at almost twice the cost again.

I also wanted to originally go with the DDR 3 ram but it is just now getting to Korea. They did have it but I didnt recognize the mobo I was going to have to run it on. It was not listed on Toms Hardware. So I figured it would be better to go with the high end DDR 2 heatsink ram and the Gigabyte mobo and maybe try to overclock it a little bit.

I have already spent too much on this machine so couldnt justify doubling the costs on those items for a fraction more performance.

Well if I have difficulty running AOC with this card at least I can get a new one later when the prices drop after the next new model series comes out.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I hate to say this but i made the same mistake thinking 64 bit vista/dx 10 would be better supported by this time.Well it's not and i don't see it happening anytime soon.We can't even get nvidia or ati to get there act right on dx 10 drivers ,dx9 stuff is pretty much running games right on par.I highly doubt conan is actually taking advantage of dx 10 but i am sure they wouldn't release a game at this point in time that wouldn't at least run on vista 64 bit.

BtW your system is pretty good,much the same as i have but i think you should have looked into those new gts cards that apparently run faster [more pipelines] than the gtx and is cheaper.It is a relatively new card so you might not have seen them out yet in some stores.At least with the horrible drivers we are getting you have the ram [btw vista uses more than xp] and the chip to play graphics on high with little troubles.It really depends alot on how conan or game uses shaders,they tend to really act as a system hog in games.I am sure any decent game released nowadays like conan will have sliders to set view distance and other stuff.

IMO XP 32 bit is still the way to go,until i foresee at least another year.Heck i am playing on my older computer right now that uses XP ,that is how much i havn't liked my new vista machine,well not so much vista,but the horrible support it has recieved.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• FE|TachyonFE|Tachyon Member UncommonPosts: 652

Originally posted by Wizardry

I hate to say this but i made the same mistake thinking 64 bit vista/dx 10 would be better supported by this time.Well it's not and i don't see it happening anytime soon.We can't even get nvidia or ati to get there act right on dx 10 drivers ,dx9 stuff is pretty much running games right on par.I highly doubt conan is actually taking advantage of dx 10 but i am sure they wouldn't release a game at this point in time that wouldn't at least run on vista 64 bit.
    BtW your system is pretty good,much the same as i have but i think you should have looked into those new gts cards that apparently run faster [more pipelines] than the gtx and is cheaper.It is a relatively new card so you might not have seen them out yet in some stores.At least with the horrible drivers we are getting you have the ram [btw vista uses more than xp] and the chip to play graphics on high with little troubles.It really depends alot on how conan or game uses shaders,they tend to really act as a system hog in games.I am sure any decent game released nowadays like conan will have sliders to set view distance and other stuff.
    IMO XP 32 bit is still the way to go,until i foresee at least another year.Heck i am playing on my older computer right now that uses XP ,that is how much i havn't liked my new vista machine,well not so much vista,but the horrible support it has recieved.
    I don't agree with this post at all.   64Bit Vista is a more idea option.  Keep in mind that AoC is ACTUALY tweaking the client for the 64 bit Client and Quad Cores,  so if you utilize both of these,  I BELIEVE you'll see a drastic proformance improvement over the Hardware/Software combination.

Your Graphics card is FINE.   If your not running 1800x1600 Display  the 8800 GT will do fine.   If your running a 20inch monitor or lower your  graphics card would work flawlessly.   The 8800 GT beats the 8800GTS 512MB in many different benchmarks, but not all of them by any streach of the imagination.   The 8800GTX is definitly better but for 80% MORE Money it's defintly not worth the 25% more proformance you get out of it.

Your PC is actualy would I would build for a Budget Gaming PC.    I would Add 2 things,  Sound Card, and KillerNIC(Some games it Works great with, some NOT so much)

• AczeroAczero Member Posts: 248

650 watt power supply isn't saying that it's good you know? It only says what his maximum watt is. He can handle 650 watt but for how long. Just look around for a stable power supply with around 400-500 watt. Thats more then enough.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

To the OP. I would be very, Very surprised if your rig wont run AoC on max settings fluently so dont waste your money on upgrades.

And your gfx card will be enough, I guarantee you. The GTS and GTX  versions are basically for people who wants to brag that they got the highest benchmark score. Very few games require that card to run fluently and Im sure AoC, being an MMORPG, will not.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

i thought GT's were newer than GTS's?

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    Originally posted by Death1942

i thought GT's were newer than GTS's?

There is a new version of the GTS called the GTS lol, difference is the new one is has either 512 or 256mb instead of  320 or 640 and also the new ones have a 256mb memory interface, are built upon the new 65nm process and the G92 architecture.