Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Potbs pre-orders appear to be very high!

DJXeonDJXeon Member UncommonPosts: 553

Pre-orders for any mmo peak around this time a couple of weeks before release.

FLS are launching with 18 servers; six times more than the 3 they currently have for Open beta to cope with over 100,000 subscribers!

This appears to be a very ambitious plan - i guess we will never know the real numbers.

Comments

• Riho06Riho06 Member Posts: 431

<Inserts normal uneducated comment about how bad the game is going to do>

• 0over00over0 Member UncommonPosts: 488

Originally posted by DJXeon

Pre-orders for any mmo peak around this time a couple of weeks before release.
    FLS are launching with 18 servers; six times more than the 3 they currently have for Open beta to cope with over 100,000 subscribers!
    This appears to be a very ambitious plan - i guess we will never know the real numbers.

I like the game and will be there at launch, but I was surprised at the high number of servers. It's a pvp game, so high populations are very important (and I know the devs understand this). Honestly, I would've thought half this many would've spread the population too thin.

Of course, we don't know how many they will support per server, so it's hard to estimate based on this.

Well, kudos to them! Let's hope it all goes well.

Apply lemon juice and candle flame here to reveal secret message.

• SamuraiswordSamuraisword Member Posts: 2,111

< inserts fanboi confirmation to support original fanboi claim which won't be proven or disproven for several months once the dust settles>

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

They only have 3 servers for open beta, and they aren't even full. So if they can only get 3 servers worth of people to play for free, how are they going to get 18 servers worth of people to pay to play?

I see a big server merge about 6 months from now

• AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    That's way too many servers to start with. LotRO seems to have about the same capacity per server and they have about the same number of servers. Turbine/Codemasters added a few shortly after release ( or after beta, for release, don't remember ) and those still have rather low population.

If FLS believe PotBS can outdo LotRO they need a serious reality check. Sandbox games are a niche market and this game has little to no hype going for it.
  • UndisturbedUndisturbed Member Posts: 6

Just pre-ordered after 1 day of playing in the beta. I simply love this game. The naval combat is fun and potentially can lead to some epic battles.

But I am a little worried about the amount of servers. I'd have to agree with the idea that a merge will probably happen in the near future after the launch.

• RedwoodSapRedwoodSap Member Posts: 1,235

Server merge is never good publicity. When I hear server merge, I think game sucks, don't bother.

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Originally posted by ghoul31
    They only have 3 servers for open beta, and they aren't even full. So if they can only get 3 servers worth of people to play for free, how are they going to get 18 servers worth of people to pay to play?

Seeing how like 95% of our guild right now is NOT playing on the OB servers , your comment is meaningless.

Originally posted by Annekynn

Seeing how like 95% of our guild right now is NOT playing on the OB servers , your comment is meaningless.

Most games have the same number of servers in beta and release. So you really don't know what you are talking about

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

Most games have the same number of servers in beta and release. So you really don't know what you are talking about

lol that is so not true.

swg - 3

eq2 - 2

TR - 2

VG - 5 (or something close)

LOTRO - i think had 3

you sir dont know what you are talking about

• AinshentAinshent Member Posts: 72

This move seems so incredibly strange to me.  12 servers for NA.  I would think they would open half that and just bring in others as needed.  Sever population is so critical to the success of this game, without people there is no pvp.  Without pvp there no game.

Perhaps pre-order sales justify the high server count.  I'm sure people with station passes are going to grab it.  No additional monthly charge is a bargain.   At least until Sony raises it.   

Sony did have some servers laying around that used to have Vanguard on them.  Can see it so clearly.....Smed and Rick negotiating prices over egg nog.

Seems to me they will be getting formatted once again in a few months.

• U-TurnU-Turn Member UncommonPosts: 164

I will be in on the pre-board.  I am not playing right now nor are most of my Society.  We have our production plans in place and are just waiting for launch to not spoil the goodness.

• RayanaRayana Member UncommonPosts: 525

Originally posted by U-Turn

I will be in on the pre-board.  I am not playing right now nor are most of my Society.  We have our production plans in place and are just waiting for launch to not spoil the goodness.

Same here. Most of my society isn't playing at the moment in OB. Nothing is organized. People are waiting for the servers to go retail.

I still think the server list is a bit too large though.

------------------------------------------------

Playing: Final Fantasy Online: ARR, Destiny
    Most memorable games for me: UO, GW1, LoTRO

Originally posted by miagisan

lol that is so not true.

swg - 3
    eq2 - 2
    TR - 2
    VG - 5 (or something close)
    LOTRO - i think had 3

you sir dont know what you are talking about

where did u come up with that? i playe din the LOTRO beta and the vanguard betas. And they both had 12 or so servers in beta and at launch. 

And EQ2 didn't even have an open beta, so you really really don't know what u are talking about

• xtwizxxtwizx Member Posts: 36

18 servers? I guess that puts about  6 players on each.

where did u come up with that? i playe din the LOTRO beta and the vanguard betas. And they both had 12 or so servers in beta and at launch.

And EQ2 didn't even have an open beta, so you really really don't know what u are talking about

Asherons Call had atleast half the servers in beta than retail. DAoC had far fewer servers in beta than it did in retail. SWG had far fewer servers in beta than it did in retail. WoW had considerably less servers in beta than retail.

Now if youre talking about open beta servers, then you cant have apple to apple comparisons because it depends on the # of players they had in the closed beta. In the case of PotBS, CB had atleast 10,000 testers invited, plus there were two public stress tests before open beta hit. By then most who had wanted to try the game had tried it, so there was no reason to have more servers open for OB.

Unlike games like WoW where it would take months to see everything (which would result in people playing the beta much more), in PotBS in a week or two you can see it all, so there is not much reason to keep "beta'ing" unless you're willing to actually test and report bugs.

• AbrunerAbruner Member Posts: 12

I will agree with what a previous poster said and that is they need to make sure they have enough population to handle a bunch of servers.

Busy servers are a good thing, packed servers are bad, empty servers are worse.

I will be adding this game to my list. It isn't the best thing I have seen and it has some improvements that need to be done. I sure have had a lot of fun during OB and a nice break from the Fantasy/Sci-Fi worlds. That is what a game is for.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

I'm an uninformed hater so I say there's no way they need 18 servers at launch.  

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

Well lets put it this way, the # of servers is likely to go up, not down, according to the devs:

"Right now, we're planning on 18 between the US and the EU. This number is subject to increase based on the pre order numbers that we get on a weekly basis."

"When we figure out how many servers we need, we ignore 'how many people have characters on that server' ... it's just not an important metric. What we care about is 'how many people are actively playing a character at any given moment in time' ... this is called concurrency. We care about peak concurrency in specific."

"We're definitely not interested in having too many servers, for both gameplay and financial reasons. We can bring new servers online pretty quickly if need be, thankfully."

• CartographyCartography Member UncommonPosts: 331

I've been hearing more bad things than good things about this game (haven't yet judged it myself)... knowing that, if FSS were to release say... 4 servers, it would be bad publicity and would allow the naysayers' voices to be even louder than they already are. Companies have PR departments for a reason, and believe me... they do things to prevent negative press.

I'll wait til release to make a decision about it. Also, if you want accurate numbers on pre-orders, wait for the NPD results.

, in PotBS in a week or two you can see it all, so there is not much reason to keep "beta'ing"

Which sums up why its a bad game. After one week , you have seen it all, so there is no reason to play anymore.

• AgtSmithAgtSmith Member Posts: 1,498

I think the high server count is more likely a result of major problems with the servers - they are struggling to handle even light loads.  FLS has a fairly lame network and even with populations in open beta rarely getting much over light to moderate the servers where heavily stressed.

--------------------------------
    Achiever 60.00%, Socializer 53.00%, Killer 47.00%, Explorer 40.00%
    Intel Core i7 Quad, Intel X58 SLi, 6G Corsair XMS DDR3, Intel X-25 SSD, 3 WD Velociraptor SATA SuperTrak SAS EX8650 Array, OCZ 1250W PS, GTX 295, xFi, 32" 1080p LCD

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

I'm still holding out judgement until after the official release.  We'll need you folks that are actually pre-ordering to keep us posted on how things are going at that time.  I was gonna pre-order as well but the woman is kinda "meh" about the game which makes me sad cause I think it's got alot of potential...  /shrug

How bout the numbers from FilePlanet though? http://www.fileplanet.com/181240/180000/fileinfo/Pirates-of-the-Burning-Sea-Client-(Full)

Over 119k downloads thus far.  Can't say if that is good or bad but I doubt FLS could've got that many folks to try the game without FilePlanet. 

On the OP, I too am skeptical about the "high" number of servers at release BUT, I purchased WoW at release and quit within a month as they didn't have enough servers and sitting in queue to play was f'ing bs -- came back once they got more servers up and steer'd clear of the high pop servers.  We'll see how it turns out for FLS but, personally, i'd rather see them err on the side of caution (more servers) than chance having queues and uber lag early on...

• Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

dont forget every mmorpg lose 25%-50% after 1st month.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Honeymoon69

dont forget every mmorpg lose 25%-50% after 1st month.

Not sure about every mmorpg, but heck, even if they last 25-50%, they'd still have a boat load of subscribers (Pun intended).