Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game still sucks

VicatinVicatin Member UncommonPosts: 139

Well i got an email saying my account has been reactivated.

What the hell, i thought, ill give it a shot.

The game looked exactly the same, no difference in UI. Also was instantly hit with the fps bog downs when turning. I have a top end PC, and the game still runs like garbage.  I ran around for about 5 minutes and crashed to desktop. Will be uninstalling shortly

If your thinkin about coming back or picking this up, i wouldnt. If you are like me and want to try it again if you have a free month, by all means. But you will be disappointed.

I hope this helps for all you guys on the fence.

Btw, they're down to 4 servers. And they are still ghost towns.

Comments

• FumblesFumbles Member Posts: 88

Originally posted by Vicatin

The game looked exactly the same, no difference in UI. Also was instantly hit with the fps bog downs when turning. I have a top end PC, and the game still runs like garbage.  I ran around for about 5 minutes and crashed to desktop. Will be uninstalling shortly

If your thinkin about coming back or picking this up, i wouldnt. If you are like me and want to try it again if you have a free month, by all means. But you will be disappointed.

Really? I have a 4yr old computer and am having a much better experience then you.

My FPS ranges from 20 - 45 depending on the area, I play on Seradon during EST peak time and never have a problem finding/putting together a group. I have only crashed to desktop once in the two months since I came back.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Wow.. you are the very first person I have heard of that got mail telling them there account had been re-activated.

• bob_sandwichbob_sandwich Member Posts: 45

this is a troll post, thanks for the info and lies :P top end PC my ass. also if you don't like the UI for some reason, just simply download another one

• MallarkyMallarky Member Posts: 73

Yeah this post is BS i run the game on a 3 yr old computer and it doesn't run like that.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I've got a 3 year old PC and had a lot of trouble at the release of Vanguard, but I recently tried it out again after SOE did some fixing and it runs much, much better now.  I am actually having fun playing Vanguard  this time around.  Thanks SOE.

Originally posted by Tymora

I've got a 3 year old PC and had a lot of trouble at the release of Vanguard, but I recently tried it out again after SOE did some fixing and it runs much, much better now.  I am actually having fun playing Vanguard  this time around.  Thanks SOE.

cool name Tymora I love forgotten realms.

• ElapsedElapsed Member UncommonPosts: 2,329

Boo. You got me all excited. I checked my email and there was no reactivation.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

I agree with the OP the Game still runs like crap and my computer more than surpasses the recommended specs. The Over all FPS is a little better, alone out in the middle of no where. However the same old hitching/stuttering when you go to a city or village  is till there. I can live with th Performace in the wilds.. I generaly get 25 to 50 fps.... my FPS is in constant flux 0- 15 fps in any city or with more than 3 or 4 PC's about..

I can stand in one spot and turn in a circle and its like a freakin slideshow..

Graphical Bugs still exisit Walls disappearing NPC's with no head... Still fall through the ground.. still get stuck on rocks.. still get turned around facing the direction I came from when crossing a chunk... I could go on.. but Im sure none of you Vanfanguards will believe me.

OP dont let these other make you feel like you are alone in your experience of Vanguard..you are Not

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• grinderygrindery Member UncommonPosts: 36

I actually have a top end computer and ive had a way different experience than what the op experienced. In major cities my fps does take a hit, falls down to about 35 fps. Outside major cities I run a constant 60fps (have vsync on) and while in grps depending on how cluttered the dungeon is, I run from 30-50fps. Chunk lines still have problems though, I play a shaman and my transformations get removed. Not a big deal though just have to recast them. On very rare occasions I get removed from flying mount which sucks because you die if that happens lol. In the two months that I have been playing Ive had 1 ctd and it was at the horrid character selection screen. Ive run into two quests in kojan that where broken, leaps and bounds ahead of what the original release was. This game is gorgeous with max settings, Ultra high textures and highest quality rendering the game is gorgeous and with all that on I never drop below 30fps.

• Deathstrike2Deathstrike2 Member UncommonPosts: 1,777

After 2 months of play:

I've had 3 CTDs total (and this is after playing for hours each day).

I have no problem finding a group if I want one (Seradon (sp?) server).

Performance is greatly increased, although it could be better.  Still very playable.  Yes, when you first log on there is a spike in lag until everything is loaded.  After that, it smoothes out very nicely.

The game isn't nearly as bad as the OP reports.  You'd be crazy to let someone sway your opinion one way or the other without first trying it out for free yourself anyway. 

yes, you do take a hit when going into city like New Targ but from my experience it kicks back up again after loading.

• morpinmorpin Member Posts: 360

Originally posted by -Jaguar-

Boo. You got me all excited. I checked my email and there was no reactivation.
    Jaguar ,

They are re-activating until Jan 20th.. they are just not sending out email.  Give it a try.

• kaladekalade Member Posts: 69

I have to agree with everyone else that the OP's post seems a bit well.. questionable.  Hey maybe he does have a top of the end computer and there is some setting that Vanguard just doesn't work wlel with.  But it would be niec to know what hi set up is.  I personally play on a Geforce 7900 GT 512mb video card, a duo-core AMD processor and 1.5 gigs of RAM.  Certainly an ok computer, but in no ways top of the line. (between 100-200 dollars you can get an equivalent or better card from the newer GeForce line).  And I play on about middle of the road settings for textures and alot of that, with trees/grass/viewing distance and a few other things turned all the way up.  With these settings the game looks great (better than other mmo's out there I have tried - EQ2, WoW, LoTRO, etc.) and while it oculd certainly look better it looks great as is.  And with these settings on my middle of the road computer I run generaly in the 30 fps range. 

If I enter cities such as khal I do take a hit, but arguably this hit is no more pronounced than back when WoW was newer and I would enter Ironforge and since khal is an area that does not require high fps to do what is needed, it is hardly a problem (and even so my fps is still generaly in the 20's and it is hardly a noticable slow down).  Furthermore when grouping I rarely have to adjust any settings and still play completely smoothly and have no problems tanking (other than just from lack of skill :P).

As far as other issues.  I have CTD a few times sinec getting back into the game (maybe 2 or 3 in the last month or so), but similar issues have occured in any mmo I have ever played.  And I have also once died while crossinga  chunk on a flying mount, again lame but not out of the question as far as errors go in mmo's.  And while when I first started the game it was not unheard of to find broken quests, in leveling my new ranger to 25 and continueing to play my warrior (36) I have not ran into a broken quest recently.  And again the poitn of graphical glitches all over the place.  There are instances of these, but they are not rampant, game breaking or that much more prevalent than in any other mmo I have played in recent memory.

And last, the part about the servers being ghost towns.  While it is likely true that there are limited number of people int he lower level starting areas (especialy the lv1-10 type zones), alot of this has to do with the fact that it is not a brand new game and has some 14 or more starting areas.  If you play most mmo's that have been out a while starting areas are not very populated (EQ2 for example), and that is with minimal starting areas.  With 14 this problem is even more noticable, something I guess they intend to fix with the starting island.  And once you get into your teens and start condensing into simialr areas, finding groups becomes much less difficult and even easy by the time you reach 20.  As far as grouping at higher lvs, I have had no trouble in general finding a group on my 36 warrior.  Even playing a little on Christmas Eve early early in the morning or late late at night there have been groups out there. 

Hell to be perfectly honest I have had an easier time as of late finding groups (both on my 25 and on my 36) in Vanguard than in EQ2 or WoW (both of which I play or was playing recently).  This is taken not being max lv, where I beleive it is quie easy in both WoW and EQ2 to find groups (but also in VG from what I have seen of the number of lv50's).

So to take this post seriously I would expect a better description of the computer he is using that is top of the line and struggling.. because while it could be true I am sure if it is, it is some setting that is causing issues between his computer and the client.  Also he is very general in saying the game has bad fps, glitches, and is completely barren.  Quite a weak response.  If he had poitned out some areas he attempted to group in and was unable to, or areas he tried to findn a group for long periods of time with no luck or anything that shows that he really gave the game a chance.  For all we know he is on a new super cheap dell... was running graphics maxed and lagging and was searching for a group in the middle of the night in a chunk without a dungeon.

Still it comes down to making the decision for youself and he does say give the game a chance (even if he than tries to tell you that that is in a way a stupid idea) and I agree that it may nto be the game for you.  But it is very playable and has had many many improvements.  So if it at one poitn had your interest give it a shot, in the scheme of things it really isnt going to hurt anything to try.

Kalade

• striker117striker117 Member Posts: 6

I'm playing the Vet trail right now and it's at least more fun than LOTRO. There is quite a lot of people playing right now, I know some of it is due to the Vet trial going on right now. I was in a group at one time and 3 of us out of 4 were on the Vet trail, but that didn't shock me.

Since they have the flying reindeer mount in game, it makes things ALOT more fun, I couldn't imagine going back to foot traveling in this game, it really demands a flying mount to get to places sometimes.

What I've seen so far is that almost all the people in game hang out in Qualia. So if you've just logged back in game and are looking for a group, go to Qualia.

Haven't tried crafting since I got back, but I can see that either people enjoy it or just want to grind because there seems to be a lot of crafters in game.

Something I found out the hard way is that you can't root BIG things...aka CYCLOPS, .

Let me just add, there is indeed weather affects in game and I can see the storm at a distance. So far I've seen just rain and snow.

Now for the bugs....still the same! I couldn't believe how many bugs were still left in the game after I've been gone for so long. They need to stop working on new dungeons and fix the damn bugs. Example: there is a bug where sometimes you can't see th mob, usually falls underground and you can't hit it but it can hit you. The solution of running to a different area and letting the mob pop up out of the ground all of a sudden works sometimes. Thats about the only annoying bug I've found so far though. All the other bugs are usually visual bugs, for example, I have all my armor on yet visually I have the clothes on when I first created my character.

Although there are many bugs in the game, at the end of the day I can safely say I had fun.

Hope this helped some people, as for me I'm off to the world of Vanguard. (BIG world I might add)

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

Recently did a 10 day trial to check on the state of the game. My computer is far from top of the line and i had to run on balanced and below. I don't discredit the original poster having a top of the line PC and the game running like crap however. Vg more so than other games seems to vary widely how it performs.

I didn't find seradon server to be a ghost town or grouping to be a problem. The community is an odd mix of elitist vanbois, helpful members, Chuck Norris jokers, lost noobs, etc. Personally i tried to avoid looking at the region chat unless i had a question.

The game still has a ton of bugs and graphics issues that detract from an enjoyable playing experience. From issues going up stairs, swimming like a dolphin, equipment/body parts not showing up, equipment you don't have showing up, etc. Without changing graphic settings there were times armor and other details would go from looking nice to losing detail and looking faded. Sometimes i could go a whole day without a CTD, other times i would crash 4-5 times in an hour.

Bottom line for me is that the game doesn't do anything worthy of putting up with all the bugs/issues. Everything in the game is done better by other games except diplomacy and maybe class play. I enjoyed diplomacy but found myself annoyed at continued roadblocks to advance even at low levels. I only made it to 23 cleric,11 outfitter,7 diplomacy(i think) in 6 days but never found how one class could play different than another of the same class.

• TedDansonTedDanson Member Posts: 513

Thank you for your opinion. Moving on...

• ElquinElquin Member UncommonPosts: 47

The game has never presented many issues for me since I started in open-beta... back then my system wasn't what it is now and playing on high settings was still fine.  At the present day I'm running a Q6600 2.4ghz processor, 3g ram, 8800GTX all on vista home 32x.  I have a strange occurence though... the game runs BETTER when I have everything set to max settings opposed to high settings.  I read about this occuring on the 8800 series cards for VG so I tested it and cranked everything up and Voila!  It didn't just continue to play well... it played better!  Looked 10x more amazing than high settings and my FPS went up.

In congested areas my low is 20 FPS.. this is tolerable for me since you can't really notice a difference.  The game continue to improve in great amounts with it's performance... SOE is doing great imo

Playing- GWII.
    Played-VSoH, EQII, DF, PotBS, AC2, UO, AO, FFXI, WoW, EQII, DDO, KO, VSoH, CoH/CoV, LOTRO, GB, SWG, TR.

• ladyattisladyattis Member Posts: 1,273

Well to the OP, if you're using an ATI card, I do expect you to have some problems as the current drivers from ATI are crap apparently, that even Tabula Rasa runs with artifacting as well. So, if that's what you have for a card, then I feel your pain. But here I sit with a paltry Intel Core Duo with 2 gigs of PC6400 DDR2 ram, and an 8600GT (256 vram), yet VG runs swell on my system on balanced with medium textures. I would suggest that you turn on hardware occultation along with hardware skinning to improve your frame rate, it seems to do the trick for me.

• daylight01daylight01 Member Posts: 2,250

i wont dismiss the Op as he never left his specs but i do know my specs.

3200+(overclocked) 2gb ram,7600gt can run the game quite well in the countryside,In the cities it does take a knock and I have tweaked as much as i can but can sometimes hit the 10fps and look more like a slideshow,I know people may say "upgrade your pc"etc but when i done a systemcheck at launch and before i started to play again last week it comes out very nicely over recommend specs and says"you will really enjoy your gamming experience"I have to say not true at least not in cities.

I have played for a week now and I wont be playing further,I feel a little jealous of the US players as I am on halgar server and it really is like a ghost-town,I can maybe meet 3-4 players in 6 hours of play and maybe the chat can have something said every 20-30 mins(sometimes I even thought I had left the chat channels).

There has been some improvements made but it is still not that playable as a whole and when I play a MMO it would be nice if there was more people on the server than there is in my house

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/235780/page/8

As many have mentioned, Vanguard defiantly requires a pretty decent machine and the required and recommended specs on the back of the box are not what they should be.  Currently I am home for a few days over christmas break and attempting to play on the computer here.  With 3 ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM, but a crappy Radeon 9600 Pro... the game is absolutely awful.  I run on the worst settings possible for the most part, which makes the game look even worse than old EQ graphics or on par and really ruins the game.  And I still struggle with about 15 fps tops and animations that are beyond hideous.  So needless to say if you don't have a middle of the line computer (which aren't terribly expensive, but nonetheless cost something), I would ask around to see if your computer can handle the game.  Because even though I feel the game has advanced greatly and is loads of fun to play, if thi computer I am trying now was my main computer there is absolutely no way I would continue to play VG.

But atleast now the game runs decently on relatively cheaper machines.. and upgrading for VG (to a balanced type gameplay) isn't unthinkable.

Kalade

Originally posted by kalade

As many have mentioned, Vanguard defiantly requires a pretty decent machine and the required and recommended specs on the back of the box are not what they should be.  Currently I am home for a few days over christmas break and attempting to play on the computer here.  With 3 ghz processor and 2 gigs of RAM, but a crappy Radeon 9600 Pro... the game is absolutely awful.  I run on the worst settings possible for the most part, which makes the game look even worse than old EQ graphics or on par and really ruins the game.  And I still struggle with about 15 fps tops and animations that are beyond hideous.  So needless to say if you don't have a middle of the line computer (which aren't terribly expensive, but nonetheless cost something), I would ask around to see if your computer can handle the game.  Because even though I feel the game has advanced greatly and is loads of fun to play, if thi computer I am trying now was my main computer there is absolutely no way I would continue to play VG.
    But atleast now the game runs decently on relatively cheaper machines.. and upgrading for VG (to a balanced type gameplay) isn't unthinkable.
    Kalade
    the system check I did came from online and not the back of the box,But that doesnt really matter tbh if you far exceed the recommended specs then the game should run sweet end of,Or it is some sort or trade description act voilation.

Anyway i just gave my HONEST opinon of the game now,There has been some improvements for sure but there is still alot wrong with this game preformance wise and a few bugs and promised things still not there even after almost a year of release,I know I sound like a hypocrite by saying I wont play as the server is empty and thus emptying the server by+1 but I cant immerse myself in a MMO when it feels like I am the only 1 around for the most part.

Though if you enjoy playing then I am really happy for you I really am,I on the other hand am still looking for a new MMO and I hope it comes soon*points to TCOS* <---I hope.....

If someone had came up to me in 1980 when I was on my Atari 2600 and said we will be playing games with thousands of people at the same time.I guess my response would have been,"but I only have 2 joysticks"

• rivethead23rivethead23 Member Posts: 41
    I regrettably must agree with the OP. I just finished Crysis with everything on High and the game ran smooth. I play HGL with everything Maxed. Everything else I have run at this machine has run at least acceptable if not well. Except Vanguard. Don't get me wrong I preordered Vanguard and I really wanted to stick it out, but the poor initial showing and poor performance let me to LOTRO. So when I got wind accounts were reactivated I decided to see what the state of the game was now.

The game looks good, don't get me wrong there. But the hitching is unbearable. Whether turning (which it bogs down badly) or running in a straight line (it "hitches" every third step). I've tried it in towns, and I picked characters who were out in the wilderness. Either way the hitching was present. I found if I stood in one place and did a 360 turn or two and allowed the game to load all the textures, as long as I didn't move I could turn freely with no issue. This again speaks to the hitching issues. Finally to further troubleshoot I turned off most of the special effects, gradually ratcheted down the texture and character model settings and still couldn't get it to stop hitching every 3-5 seconds *at BEST*. After reading on the boards I tried a few other tweaks but no no avail. I didn't one suggested fix of installing the Cache directory to a ramdrive.. because the program I tried bluescreened my computer and forced a rollback. Just seems to me they haven't licked the hitching problem yet to me. So, I uninstalled it after two nights of playing.

My rig:

Amd 64 X2 4800+

2Gb DDR 400 Memory

7200 RPM Hard Drive SATA II (I forget the brand but I remember it was an "enterprise" level hardrive sold at a premium and it benchmarked well.

Evga 8800GT 512MB

Windows XP Home - heavily tweaked for performance.

Oh and I should add that I run the game at 1280x1024 so I don't run it at some extreme resolution.

I completely respect your post Daylight, you gave personal reasons and it no way tried to tell everyone the game was awful.  And I can completely understand how the game can be no fun to play, especially if you have problems finding people to play with.  I know that for a while before server mergers especialy the game was absolutely dead to me.. and the game was in no way fun at all.  Since then I feel in my situation the server population has improved, especialy at the times I play and on the server I play (Xeth).  Have been leveling in the swamp in southeastern thestra lately and find groups for any of the dungeons there quite easily, not to mention some fixes to the warrior class that actualy make soloing an option while waiting for a group.  But it really comes down to the type of game you are looking for.  And I love the open sandbox style of Vanguard in comparison to other MMO's currently on the market.  And because that is what I am looking for and there are not many other options offering similar things (and I also really like how the classes I have played work to be honest), I can put up with the bugs and other problems that certainly exist.

And to be fair as much as I am enjoying VG right now, I stil have my eyes peeled to the future and will follow other MMO's.  For one I would love to play an MMO that actualy has good PVP that really means something... feels like a war, will be interesting to see if War Hammer can do that.

Anywho just ranting off and not sure where I am going with this :), but I just want to establish that even if I post and it sounds as if I think VG is amazing, I see its flaws, and I am quite sure if a game with the same open feel and look and style has VG came out, but with the exectuion of WoW I would be ALL over it.

Kalade

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263

The game still requires some good hardware but it sure runs smoother now.

yeah tbh i think if I came into this game with a pre-made guild or even 3 or 4 friends I would have got alot more from it,Some of the quests lines are the best I have read and tbh of all the games I have played I really did enjoy my shaman.I wont be taking VG of my HD just yet,I am an older player and willing to give it even more time but with new and I think everyone hopes bigger titles comming next year I aint to sure on VG future but who knows?

Me myself I will look to TCOS or if against my doubts AoC does turn out to be the game alot are hoping for,If these games fail then I will again check out Vg after a couple more patches,The idea is there,the world is there,Hell at time`s even the gameplay is there but there is still too much missing.