Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

collectors addition

zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

i was wondering, i saw somthing about a collectors edition, and i was gunan try and find one of those sience i got 3 days til my card gets here. do they still have them at stores like Gamestop? and if they do how much are they usualy? are the extras worth it or should i just grab the 20$ normal copy?

Comments

• bezadobezado Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

Whats the point for a collectors edition? It won't make your gameplay any better or give you a player edge. It is another way to get us to spend extra money on crap we don't need.

Stick to the cheap box version.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

probly gunna do that, if it was still cheap i thought it couldnt hurt to have the little extras like the map/couple ingame items/CD if the music was good. but i cant find it anywere (at least at normal stores) so im not gunna bother. only place i saw it was some wird site that was selling it "discounted" (didnt seems like it) for about 90$ (yah right im not paying that)

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The odds of finding vanguard actually in store are pretty small.  Most stores discounted it because it stopped selling.  If not the store most likely refused to discount it and still has it for somewhere in the $40 range.

I got a copy for $.99 on Ebay and see similar deals all the time.  A good price on the collectors is somewhere around $15-20 on Ebay if you are looking for it.

I think one perk is a music CD, I don't know what for sure sorry.

• caldiscaldis Member Posts: 149

I havent seen the game on store shelves in months.   Tabula Rasa pushed it off the MMO shelf, I dont know what they did with the few boxes that were left there.

• Slasher29Slasher29 Member UncommonPosts: 194

i found 2 collectors at my Gamestop for 20 bucks each so i grabed them check your gamestop  they are selling them for 20

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

I couldn't find a collectors out where I was (though I probably should have waited since they probably still have them down here where I'm at for vacation) but they had one copy of the game left for $20 so I grabbed it. There are still a handful in stores if you look a bit.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

OK, give me a link to a copy at best buy please.

Several collectors editions going for $13ish on ebay right now.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by Daffid011

OK, give me a link to a copy at best buy please.

I never, ever shop at Best Buy.

And my anti-virus and security software will not let me even visit Best Buy's web page.  This is not a joke [but I am trying to disable some things to visit the web page to check, anyway].

And I would not be surprised if best buy did not have products people wanted. Best Buy sucks.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

The point is it's not on store shelves now except for the occasional left over box.  No store is going to restock a box that had as few sales as this game did, not for a relaunch not for anything.   They can maybe put out a cheap edition that stores will put on their bargain racks but that's about it. 

Any significant future sales of this game will have to be digital.

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by caldis

The point is it's not on store shelves now except for the occasional left over box.  No store is going to restock a box that had as few sales as this game did, not for a relaunch not for anything.   They can maybe put out a cheap edition that stores will put on their bargain racks but that's about it. 
    Any significant future sales of this game will have to be digital.

Actually, for a relaunch, I believe they would. However, the SKU for this game is very old. To date, the only MMO I've ever seen stocked at a store a year after it's release has been WoW. Digital distribution tends to become one of the few ways to get the client that far after release. However, SoE is charging far too much for it on the online store. $20 would be fine, however, $40 after all this time is excessive. You think they would learn that you get more subscribers by making your client accessable than trying to milk it for all its worth for years.

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• DailyBuzzDailyBuzz Member Posts: 2,306

Any chain retailer will stock a product if enough people call or walk in asking for it. Problem with VG is, there isn't enough people asking for it to justify the shelf space. Furthermore, the people that are asking for it only want to pay $10-20 for it. The $20 price tag on the CE you may find today is far lower than the retailer paid for the box and they are losing money with every copy they sell. For every copy a retailer sells and loses money on, it reinforces their notion to never deal in this product again.

I would imagine it's been quite some time since VG was loaded onto a truck for shipping. Maybe they will be less scarce if SOE ever drops the price and has a marketing blitz.

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I always see a few copies of vanguard at Bestbuy or Gamestop. I stopped by at Bestbuy the day after Christmas and there were still some copies left. I think I've seen the CE going for about 40$ now. Way cheaper then when I bought it for 100$.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Daffid011

The odds of finding vanguard actually in store are pretty small.  Most stores discounted it because it stopped selling.  If not the store most likely refused to discount it and still has it for somewhere in the $40 range.
    I got a copy for $.99 on Ebay and see similar deals all the time.  A good price on the collectors is somewhere around $15-20 on Ebay if you are looking for it.

I think one perk is a music CD, I don't know what for sure sorry.
    You know not like something because it was released in an alpha state or say like the NGE with SWG or even just not liking a game... is one thing.

Stating something is your opinion is kinda the same thing.

Stating your opinion or making up a "fact" and representing it as fact is rather silly.

Any person can go search EBGames/Gamestop (since they are one company now really) and see Vanguard is for sale.

I walk into my local best buy.. I see it for sale.. I walk into Fry's I see it for sale.

My local stores won't let you inside with a camera so you're not gonna get pictures.

Do I like or would I recommend Vanguard?  That's a different subject.

I'll just say its better than it was at release.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646264

They sell Vangaurd for $19.99 unless you want a download copy then its $29.99 and before xmas it was still listed at either 39.99 or 49.99.

*I* personally don't really care but... it IS being sold in stores as well (like EB Games B&M, Frys, Best buy etc.. at least here in Beaverton/Portland Oregon.

Now if you want to state that since it sells for $19.99 it must be crap...

Lord of the Rings Online sells for... $9.99 because it just drop $10 (yes it was 19.99).

I would think Lotro is doing slightly better than Vanguard.

Anyway.. yes it is for sale.. which of course doesn't mean its selling...

• EstrusEstrus Member Posts: 357

Trying to hunt down a Zune this week, I've seen plenty of Vanguard CEs at Best Buy.  Contrary to some on here, Best Buy rocks for PC games and is infinitely better than Gamestop's meager 2 shelves of PC stuff.

Was going to grab one but it's still more than I want to pay.  $20 is what I'm waiting for it to drop to. 

CEs are pure fluff, but I can't resist em. 

<modedit>

It's obviously different depending on where you live because at the Best Buy or any of the stores around here Vanguard has not been on the shelves for months.  I havent seen it in discount bins I've never seen the Collectors Editon on a shelf around here, not even at release.

Originally posted by Antarious

You know not like something because it was released in an alpha state or say like the NGE with SWG or even just not liking a game... is one thing.

Stating something is your opinion is kinda the same thing.
    Stating your opinion or making up a "fact" and representing it as fact is rather silly.
    Any person can go search EBGames/Gamestop (since they are one company now really) and see Vanguard is for sale.
    I walk into my local best buy.. I see it for sale.. I walk into Fry's I see it for sale.
    My local stores won't let you inside with a camera so you're not gonna get pictures.
    Do I like or would I recommend Vanguard?  That's a different subject.
    I'll just say its better than it was at release.
    http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=646264
    They sell Vangaurd for $19.99 unless you want a download copy then its $29.99 and before xmas it was still listed at either 39.99 or 49.99.
    *I* personally don't really care but... it IS being sold in stores as well (like EB Games B&M, Frys, Best buy etc.. at least here in Beaverton/Portland Oregon.
    Now if you want to state that since it sells for $19.99 it must be crap...
    Lord of the Rings Online sells for... $9.99 because it just drop $10 (yes it was 19.99).
    I would think Lotro is doing slightly better than Vanguard.
    Anyway.. yes it is for sale.. which of course doesn't mean its selling...

Actually I currently play Vanguard and am not making comments based on any views of the gameplay or some hatred of the title.  It has been my experience that it is indeed hard to find the game in stores and that most store are discounting it.   My ebay comments were not meant as a negative view of the game, but a very viable option for the original poster to find a collectors edition of the game which is what he asked for and it is a great deal at $13 compared to what it might run in a store IF they still have it.

Yes you can find it for sale at the online sites, but at the physical stores it is much harder, especially for the collectors edition like the OP was looking for.  However I never said it was hard to find online or download digitally.

If you click on the "check store availability" at gamestop you will see that many gamestops are out of stock on it and most of the rest have 1-3 copies.  Even when you call those gamestops on the phone to check they often confirm they in fact don't have it in stock.

All that said, yes there are still stores of all flavors that have copies, I never said they don't.  Some have more than others, especially those still listing the game at 40-50 dollars on shelves.  Some stores have stopped listing the title for sale like best buy which means they are no longer carrying it.

What I said is not based on any qualities of the game or my views of the gameplay.  Personally I don't think they are making and distributing boxes anymore which is why there are now so many options for digital download.   If that is true it explains why supply can be hard to come by in stores.

Also, I'm suprised by the LOTRO price drop you mention and yet not suprised at the same time.  Thats another topic though. 

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I live in central texas and when I did the search within 200 miles about 95% of them are listed as 1-3 estimated quantity. Of course I'm not driving 200 miles to pick up any game, but listing them as 50 miles from my zipcode and it showed three stores, all of them had 1-3 in stock.

But I will not buy from our local gamestops anymore for anything. They reek of horrible customer service and just not as cheap compared to Wal-mart or even pawn shops if I'm looking for a used game for a console.

I recommend gogamer.com, but no collector's edition listed. I have not seen that locally and only place I found online was at amazon.com

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

I thought the same thing about all those gamestops that listed the game as in stock.  When I started calling around for a copy none of them had any.  I don't see how they can't know what is in stock with point of sales systems in place.

• AhnilatorAhnilator Member UncommonPosts: 81

Hoy where's Truenorthbg???

• VirgoThreeVirgoThree Member UncommonPosts: 1,198

I didn't realize that VG was in such limited quantities in other states. Although I'm kind of fortunate I have 4 gamestops within a 5 mile radius, bestbuy, a couple of wal marts and some other misc places that sell games. So finding a particular game here isn't to difficult heh.