Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW marketing pre-release budget revealed

ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

All right here we go.

World of Warcraft development cost: 80.000.000$

World of Warcraft marketing cost: 40.000.000$

That is almost four times more than Vanguard development + marketing cost which was around 35.000.000$. Whoever was claiming about the big Vanguard adv before-release (and there were so many of them who did), note that only the WoW marketing cost was bigger than Vanguard complete development.

REALITY CHECK

Comments

• oakaeoakae Member UncommonPosts: 344

Got a link?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Where are you getting these numbers from?  Otherwise this is fiction.

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Link plz

hrmm  and where is the 30 mil in VG? . well I guess I could see it, but  the promised VG by Sigli and Mcquack  would have taken alot more...alot. And from Mirosoft's point of view it wasn't happening or worth it.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Whatever WoW spent on developement, that was money well spent. 100 million, 200 millon? If they have 8 million customers they are making at least 80 million a month.

Torrential

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

So what?

Anyway like all the defensive reactions. Curious thing like the phenomena of supporting of a sports team where supporters will defend anything and everything their sports team does even when technically they only support the play of the team.

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

Originally posted by Thillian

All right here we go.
    World of Warcraft development cost: 80.000.000$
    World of Warcraft marketing cost: 40.000.000$
    That is almost four times more than Vanguard development + marketing cost which was around 35.000.000$. Whoever was claiming about the big Vanguard adv before-release (and there were so many of them who did), note that only the WoW marketing cost was bigger than Vanguard complete development.

So....Vangaurd costed less money. Your point?

• swaindaddyswaindaddy Member Posts: 155

$3,240,000,000

That's the number that matters.

That is 6 million customers paying $15 a month for 3 years. (yes I know not everyone has to pay that much thats why i left 3 million subs off - to balance it out)

So I guess they need to spend more on development and marketing cause they got plenty.

WoW is the leading MMORPG like it or not the numbers don't lie.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

You can't count 15$ per month for each subscriber for Blizzard. From asia they recieve exactly 75 cents per subscriber and majority of their subscriber base is coming from Asia. Undoubtedly they are doing well, that's not what this post is about.

The point of this post was to shut the mouths of all those charlatans claiming Vanguard had the biggest marketing campaign and that was the most overhyped game ever. And I'm not sure why this one was moved to rumors section.

REALITY CHECK

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

You can't count 15$ per month for each subscriber for Blizzard. From asia they recieve exactly 75 cents per subscriber and majority of their subscriber base is coming from Asia. Undoubtedly they are doing well, that's not what this post is about.
    The point of this post was to shut the mouths of all those charlatans claiming Vanguard had the biggest marketing campaign and that was the most overhyped game ever. And I'm not sure why this one was moved to rumors section.

No link = Fiction

• eRAZOR2007eRAZOR2007 Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by patrikd23
    Originally posted by Thillian You can't count 15$ per month for each subscriber for Blizzard. From asia they recieve exactly 75 cents per subscriber and majority of their subscriber base is coming from Asia. Undoubtedly they are doing well, that's not what this post is about.
    The point of this post was to shut the mouths of all those charlatans claiming Vanguard had the biggest marketing campaign and that was the most overhyped game ever. And I'm not sure why this one was moved to rumors section.

No link = Fiction

Not to mention that WoW Development Cost was in the 20 million ballpark if my memory serves me right.

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

The point of this post was to shut the mouths of all those charlatans claiming Vanguard had the biggest marketing campaign and that was the most overhyped game ever.

I think you misunderstand where the "most overhyped" tag that people lay on Vanguard comes from.  It's got nothing to do with the amount of money they spent on advertising, it's got to do with what people perceived to be the difference between what Vanguard was prior to launch and after.

Prior to launch there were a lot of folks claiming that Vanguard was gonna be the next big hit.  Not necessarily going to dethrone the big hit at the time (WoW), but it would rank right up there with it.  I'm not going to get into whether or not that was a fair perception, but it was the perception held by many.

Then after launch, people realized that Vanguard had a lot of problems and the perception of the game was that it was no where near what the perception had been prior to launch.  Again, I'm not going to get into the problems or why the perception, but it was the perception. 

So the perception prior to launch and after launch were radically different and that leads people to say that it was overhyped. 

WoW on the other hand delivered.  You may be absolutely 100% correct in that it may have all been done with sheer marketing, no one for sure knows why WoW has been the success it has been, yet despite that it's far and away the most successful MMO in America, therefore it was not overhyped.  It delivered.  Vanguard has not.  That's the difference.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I do agree. Nevertheless the hype around VG was mostly done by it's fanbase that overhyped the promises by themselves. The interviews with Brad before release were actually not as far from current state of the game as you may think. 

REALITY CHECK

• KrileonKrileon Member Posts: 314

VG didn't get more funding, because investors aren't complete morons. They aren't going to invest in a failing product.

MS would have given them more money if they had something to show for the 30mil they had already received, but they didn't. So MS dumped their ass on the curb like they deserved.

The fact is if the product is worth investing in then they'll get all the money they need. VG could have surpassed WOW in cost easily, but it didn't because they had nothing to show warranting such an investment. See where i'm going with this?

A long with an amateur team; probably for cost efficiency. it would have barely cost a damn thing to develop this game.

[ Played ] 2Moons, Anarchy Online, City of Heroes, City of Villains, Dark Age of Camelot, Everquest, Everquest II, Guild Wars, HellGate: London, Lord of the Rings Online, Rappelz, RF Online, Shadowbane, Star Wars Galaxies, Sword of the New World, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes, World of Warcraft, Last Chaos

[ Playing ] Everquest II

[ Waiting ] Aion, Age of Conan