Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth it?

RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Is the Game worth tring out?? I Love Star Wars. But is it worth (paying to play?)  Or is it dead like EQ now? Also is it more soloable or is it duoable? Because My wife and I usually play the game together. We are currently playing WoW and we have already pre-ordered AoC. But WoW is just starting to get really boring and we Play on a PvP server.  Was Just wanting to know for those that have played SWG if it was as fun as it looks. Cantina's, Jedi's, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters..haha...do you really get to fly your own spaceship and have your home??

Kick to the Face.

Comments

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

It is the best starwars MMO atm,make sure you do the free trial before you buy,but you might like it ,   just watch out for SOE and try to pick an active server most are dead going by the station forums

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Originally posted by Rakuji

Is the Game worth tring out?? I Love Star Wars. But is it worth (paying to play?)  Or is it dead like EQ now? Also is it more soloable or is it duoable? Because My wife and I usually play the game together. We are currently playing WoW and we have already pre-ordered AoC. But WoW is just starting to get really boring and we Play on a PvP server.  Was Just wanting to know for those that have played SWG if it was as fun as it looks. Cantina's, Jedi's, Smugglers, Bounty Hunters..haha...do you really get to fly your own spaceship and have your home??
    Try the 14 day trial.  You can get to level 10 on Tansarii Point Station (the n00bie zone) and then once you've made it to 10 you can head to Tatooine and see what the rest of the game is like.

Alas, if you find WoW getting boring, you'll probably feel the same way about SWG, as it's heavily modeled now on WoW...you'll see the similarities at once.  The catch with SWG is it's so controversial because a little over two years ago it was radically transformed to be more WoW-like.

Yes, you can be a Jedi, or a Bounty Hunter (you can even aspire to Boba/Jango Fett style armor), or a Smuggler, or six other classes.  You can fly your own spaceship (even a YT-1300 similar to the Millenium Falcon), have your own home, found a player city, hang out in a cantina and watch the entertainers dance and play songs.  Or be one yourself.

Is it fun?  You'll probably enjoy it very much at first, but it tends to be a bit repetitive after a while.  It's got all sorts of Star Warsy goodness in it...finding Jabba's Palace, wandering on to the old Lars Homestead, lots of good moments like that in the game.  It's not as intense as it was before the developers decided to hand everything to you without letting you explore on your own, but you'll probably have a good time.

Take SOE up on the free trial and take a test drive.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• zabrakwithzabrakwith Member Posts: 62

If you've never played SWG before, you'll probably like it.

If you've played before, you'll hate it. The reason why is it used to be so much better.  If you've never played before you won't know how good the game used to be, so you'll enjoy it. Hey- it's Star Wars!

• sinstersinster Member Posts: 118

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638
    Originally posted by zabrakwith

If you've never played SWG before, you'll probably like it.
    If you've played before, you'll hate it. The reason why is it used to be so much better.  If you've never played before you won't know how good the game used to be, so you'll enjoy it. Hey- it's Star Wars!

I've been playing this game since launch and I still like it. Granted, there are things I'd like to see return but the game is fun for me without them.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144

Well the 14 day Free Trial has been activated and waiting for the downloads to complete. Just a question which do you think is the most populated server? And has anyone played the free trial before? or does it just start you out like the EQ2 Trial or EQ trial and you only get to play so much of the game?

Kick to the Face.

• RainStarRainStar Member Posts: 638

The free trial should start you on Tansarii Station, it's cool there to me.

Thanks to the credit spammers/farmers etc here are the restrictions, the last I heard anyway.

Free Trial Accounts:

Removed Free Trial restrictions stopping players from leaving Tansarii

Removed Free Trial restrictions that caused Free Trials to warp back to Tansarii

Retained all old Free Trial restrictions and added a few more:

• Cannot Create PAs
    • Cannot Lead PA
    • Cannot Exceed level 25
    • Cannot use Ad Barker Droid
    • Cannot Place Structures
    • Cannot Have more than 50k Credits
    • Cannot Own Structures
    • Cannot Create Vendor
    • Cannot Use Incubator

Chat:

Free trial accounts are limited to 400 characters of combined spatial and non-spatial chat every 15 minutes.  /tell and group chat are excluded from this limit.  This is a per character restriction.  If you attempt to chat when you are past the limit, a system message will be periodically displayed telling you that you have reached the limit, and how long before you can chat again.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

If you are a long time WoW player, you will notice a good many similarities. Only, not nearly as well done and lacking polish. It is more WoW in a Star Wars skin, than the game it used to be, without levels, being forced to play a single class, or linear character progression. You might like it, many people didn't like what it was changed to and canceled), and thus all but 3 servers are barren...

• Thunder_birdThunder_bird Member Posts: 47

I would definitely say SWG is worth checking out, just make sure not to feed the trolls and start on Starsider :)

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Chilastra > Starsider.  See you there ;)

Starsider>Chilastra>others>Bria

That good enough for you Obraik?

Originally posted by Thunder_bird

No, no it is not.

Originally posted by Obraik

No, no it is not.

Well what do you want me to do? I cannot, in all good conscience, lie.

No, no it is not.

Apparantly you can.  Like everytime you write "Starsider > Chilastra."  EVERYONE knows it's Chilastra > Starsider

• Hoobley_deletedHoobley_deleted Member Posts: 677

To the best of my knowledge Bria is the most populated server.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

If you want to solo the content, the game is perfect.

No, no it is not.

Apparantly you can.  Like everytime you write "Starsider > Chilastra."  EVERYONE knows it's Chilastra < Starsider

Fixed your little misstype 

either way, i beleve we have derailed this topic "A little bit"

• SammoHalonSammoHalon Member Posts: 15

I  would say the game is definitely worth trying out. i love star wars thats the reason i got SWG. its definitely worth it

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by SammoHalon

I  would say the game is definitely worth trying out. i love star wars thats the reason i got SWG. its definitely worth it

The game is also much better if you slam your head into your desk five or six times before playing. After that, SWG almost seems like fun.

(But still not))

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by SammoHalon

But as a consumer can you tell me that this game is worth it if you take the SW equation out of the mix?

Does this game have the ability to stand on it's own without the SW title behind it?

• StuheroStuhero Member Posts: 143

As long as you dont mind paying a monthly fee to be a beta tester on a 4 year old game you should be fine. I guess that is a result of the devs altering the core game mechanics every 6 months or so. It is by far the best  Star Wars MMO on the market. LOL

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

It is worth it to you if you want to do it. If you don't then don't do it.