Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vet thinking of Returning?

MagsatoMagsato Member Posts: 230

I havent played planetside since a few months after BFRs came out, some of you may remember me. Name was Sato VS CR5 from Emerald.

So how is it? is it worth coming back anymore? Can any of the empires even get a pop lock nowadays? I suppose Ill find out soon enough as I am downloading the 12 month trial.

Comments

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

12 month trial?

• xSSxxSSx Member Posts: 128

If you liked the whole concept of planetside then yes it is worth coming back. Poplocks are not a common sight on planetside anymore. Though you still see about 50 positions left sometimes in primetime of course. There is no 12 month trial anymore that has long expired. Log into your old account. SOE reactivated all the old accounts just a few days ago. You can play for free until mid January.

Quick status check of all the servers:

Markov: Full of Chinese players. They lag like hell. Lots of BFRs there. NC always have above 40% global pop.

Werner: Full of Russian players. I hear the TR have over 40% of the global pop. Go figure bunch of red loving communists :D.

Emerald: Only real english speaking server in my book. There isn't nearly as many good outfits as there was back when you quit the game. I highly suggest finding one to make the game more enjoyable. Unless you like to solo of course.

• 1109hawaii1109hawaii Member Posts: 22

"Markov: Full of Chinese players. They lag like hell. Lots of BFRs there. NC always have above 40% global pop."

Yep, not only do they lag, they don't much care what the few squared away CR5's left request be done.   The unsquared away CR5's shall remain nameless.. They, the Chinese,  do their own thing, well, so do the bad CR5's for that matter..  My outfit, the 666th, is a shell of what it once was, the Mobile Infantry (founded by Blackweb, old armor guy from 666th) is down to 1 active player and I don't think he can invite new members.  If you sign in on your old account you only get 14 days to play for free.  The offer to sign in for 14 days free is good through mid-January.

Master Ranger (retired)
    SWG-Chilastra

"Sometime you gotta roll the hard 6."
    William Adama "Galactica 6"

• HyperTechHyperTech Member Posts: 13

Its been almost exactly two years since ive played, with my main account being on Emerald. ....whats new? Only thing i heard is my old outfit is dead, XoO... I might just wait for Huxley. Tabula Rasa wasnt that fun to me.

• AdardowenAdardowen Member UncommonPosts: 69

Tabula Rasa was suck. How are the pops on Emerald these days? Thinking of re-subbing myself, but I hear the game is slowly on it's way out.

I just rejoined about a week ago. The population isnt bad at all. I havent seen any pop locks yet though, and the sanc is always somewhat empty but the battles are still awesome. But i'm with the VS, and our pop always sucks.

• xMarsxMars Member Posts: 61

i still cant find a better game.

these days a lot of players only keep playing because they wait for the "next big thing". for soloplayers i imagine the game became less interesting with the lower pops. i suggest u find a good group of ppl to play with

Ah, xMars, I remember you being one of the more vocal CR5's for the TR. An actually useful CR5, heh. Well, I'll take your word for it and get to signing in again next month.

• shaon94shaon94 Member Posts: 41

Any suggestions about a good Outfit on Emerald?  I have been thinking about joining back up for some time now.  Tabula Rassa is just not doing it for me.  I need a MMOFPS and I can not decided between reactivating this or my WWIIO account.

With what empire? With VS, I joined up with AzureTwilight recently. Theyre a huge outfit but they have some good tactics, with teamspeak, and ops events several times a week.

Theres a new patch coming out in a few days (supposedly tomorrow) with some new additions to the hacking skill.

• shaon94shaon94 Member Posts: 41

I would be VS so if I join up I will definitely look the Outfit up.  Thanks for the quick reply.

if you intend to play the game for a good period of time AND want to become a capable player, i STRONGLY recommend to NOT join outfits that REQUIRE you to have a maxcert.

why? well, those outfits usually relay solely on numbers and try to end every fight as quickly as possible .-----> maxcrash generator no matter the pops (AT once dropped the gen after i opened a cont on my own, i was the only TR and they galdropped the gen on me :( )

if you are going VS, i would rather try DARK. while they can be cheap too, they have atleast vets that know the game a lot better then in AzureTwillight

fun fact: AT has1271 members and only 38 of them have the highest BattleRank, BR 25

source  http://www.planetsidestats.net/outfits.php?world_id=15&outfit_id=6405

if anyone intends to join the TR side i would recommend Hells Rangers or Shadow Assassins. both outfits value teamwork and have some form of voicecoms with a good amount of good veteran players.

• Shifty360Shifty360 Member Posts: 629

I may consider resubscribing his weekend. The old PS memories are coming back.

Which faction on Emerald ( That's the American server if I remember ) needs more old vet soldiers?

• GDMenaceGDMenace Member UncommonPosts: 156

VS is currently the lowest pop empire on Emerald.

But, as always, TR or bust.

VS could always use some good teamwork oriented players. Our pop is always the lowest.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by shaon94

Any suggestions about a good Outfit on Emerald?  I have been thinking about joining back up for some time now.  Tabula Rassa is just not doing it for me.  I need a MMOFPS and I can not decided between reactivating this or my WWIIO account.

A year ago id say Sons Of Vanu... I still see them from time to time but as far as I know, they dont have many peeps now.

I would not recommend AzureTwilight - dunno about now, but some time ago they wanted to force me take certain certs that I didnt want. I didnt  like that idea, so when I complained, I got kicked out. That was about a year ago, maybe their policies changed. Dunno.

Outfit or not, PS is still great to play. pops arent huge but arent that small either. My advice, join in random squads, see how they play out then join their outfit.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

AzureTwilight is a bit strict, but in the long run its for a good tactical reason. The only thing they ask now is that every member have a MAX cert, since MAX crashing plays a role in almost every operation at one point. They have optional training sessions every wednesday to make sure the tactics are understood as a whole (MAX crash and many others, including the basics).

They have special nights every week dedicated to certain certs, so that it stays pretty mixed up and fun. (MAX night, cloaker night, air force, armor, BFRs, ect.)

• blackwolf82blackwolf82 Member Posts: 79

I've been thinking about re-subbing myself. Emerald is the English speaking server now? -sigh- the game really has crashed in pop hasn't it...

Anyway I was considering building a new Outfit, focusing on the old Dragoon style of combat (long explanation made short, mounted infantry). Basically buggies and rexos.

A MAX crashing outfit with theme nights and zerg strats? GTFO PLEASE. Planetside doesn't need that crap.

If you're playing TR and looking for a small friendly outfit, look up Terran Death Company. A word of warning, they like to play armor. A lot. As far as I remember, the only mandatory was that you have some sort of multi-person vehicle cert. Dunno if they're even still in one piece though.

• rivethead23rivethead23 Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by Adardowen

A MAX crashing outfit with theme nights and zerg strats? GTFO PLEASE. Planetside doesn't need that crap.
    If you're playing TR and looking for a small friendly outfit, look up Terran Death Company. A word of warning, they like to play armor. A lot. As far as I remember, the only mandatory was that you have some sort of multi-person vehicle cert. Dunno if they're even still in one piece though.

Actually Terran Death Compay is still around. I got a friend of mine to start playing and he joined. They roll armor all the time. I personally don't like rolling armor - I prefer flying and support roles so I declined an invite.

As far as rejoining I can say I play every night and there's almost never a lack of action. I rejoined this month after 3 years. I could almost kick myself for not playing all this time. It's still a really fun game, so much so I really can't fathom why I quit before. I think it was for EQII or WOW (both of which I quickly got over). There are good battles, but it's not like the early days where pop locks often happened. I'd say 30-50 people a side on a good battle. Definatly look into this one again, and if you haven't every played it try it if you want a FPS with vehicles (air and ground), some character development, and depth beyond spawn and shoot.
  • E1ioE1io Member Posts: 86

Ah, so many good memories from PlanetSide.

• borguk1of9borguk1of9 Member Posts: 38

Re-subbed 2 weeks ago, the pops are lower but the fights are still good, where else can you get an fps on such a grand scale.

I can play COD 4 for a few hours, I can play PS for a few days a bit of a difference.

Like a lot of people all WoW'd out (Feb 2005 to Oct 2007) I would like another FPS like PS  but with character development, if I see another RPG I will puke.

• BlaitheBlaithe Member Posts: 1

For those of you talking about Azure Twilight, I have been in PS on and off a ton, Azure Twilight hasn't really changed at all, they are a stable outfit thats soul purpose is to win, its not for freelancers so if you want to do your own thing whenever you want don't join, but if you want to be around people who can help you get the hang of the game join Azure Twilight. I cant recommend AT for everyone, but I will not say they are bad in anyway, they have their goal, they do it perfectly, and yea. If you want any more specific information post it up, I'm killer tired now cant think much mleh.

• t3thompson3t3thompson3 Member Posts: 11

Before resubbing keep an eye on the official planetside forums about stopping the hacking. And no i'm not trolling, I logged in 5 times this week and 4 times i've seen obvious hacking. Then you wait a long time for SOE to come on and kick them.

If you can sift through the asses and the community you'll find some people who are enjoyable to play with.