Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Capture the Flag?

2»

Comments

• spbrookespbrooke Member Posts: 82

I really do hope the pvp 'mini-games' dont turn out like the ones in WoW.  Like other people have already said, people only did them to grind honor, and get some easier armor and items.  And this also gave some an advantage over people who didnt pvp.  People could get better items from raiding, but that was even harder to do, it required time, and a good guild. 

In AoC, I will only probably do the mini pvp games if I have nothing to do, and to pass time, etc.  And hopefully they do not add items that can give people advantages.  Having cool 'unique' items you can get from CBF for example could be a cool little thing people can do when they are bored...  like small pets that just follow you around, or costumes, etc.;

Osahar Ismassri
    Conscript of King's Guard
    http://guild-of-kings-guard.com/

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Originally posted by altairzq

So after beheading enemies and feeling so cool, cutting off limbs and all that, you meet and play capture the flag? ROFL

Yep and you can do all those things in CTF too. Better still you can do them in a team environment and learn how to do them better in a non extreme importance area ;)

Very convinient :)

• RainydayRainyday Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by CnOath

Flag capture pvp is old boring and it makes me a sad Panda.

Haha south park ftw. But on a related note, i dont think that putting CTF scenarios in-game can subtract from the PvP experience, if you dont want to do them, then just dont.

We gingers are a proud people, we are the noble descendants of great americans like Ron Howard and.... others...We will not be discrimated against any longer, for we are a great race!! - Eric Cartman

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by throckmorton

The game having a lot of PvP options is nothing but a good thing. If you don't like it, don't play it.
    Yes obviously, but do the game offer any more real PvP scenarios? Like fighting over a territory, castle or something actually worth something and not just a flag?

Also I dont see how this capture the flag nonsense fit in the context of the Hyborian world. Dont remember ever reading any Conan books about him engaging in a game of capturing a flag.

Originally posted by Baikal

Originally posted by BadChef

Definitely wont be for everyone. Probably not one of the things I'll be doing either. I would prefer they just add more to the world changing pvp but that's cool, a lot of people like it. I'll probably use wondering around in the border areas and maybe mercing my team out for training instead, but ctf might be fun if not a lot of the gang are on.

I tend to agree with you. There is definitely a place for the mini-games, because sometimes people want some objective based quick action style PvP. I think the jaded opinions come from how Blizzard did it, where it then became the only way to quickly grind honor. If Funcom takes anything from Blizzard, I'd just hope that they find ways to have it, and make it have some value, without taking anything away from the Border Kingdom PvP (which I tend to think is probably the PvP "highlight" anyhow.)

Yes Im sure people want alot of things, probably also to turn this game into a WoW clone, but this is CONAN and it should stay true to that. Let the kiddies play mini pvp games in WoW and others who want to engange into some real MMORPG PvP play AoC!

It is time that some game break away from endless WoW imitating nonsense.

"Hey Conan, up for some CTF game?"

"You killed my family!"

"Aww come on, just lets take a break and play some nice CTF"

"Hum... ah well... ok. What color is your flag? I like to have blue"

www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/06/10

• vipjerryvipjerry Member UncommonPosts: 157

pwn3d
    Originally posted by vipjerry

pwn3d

Yeah that comic strip, funny as it is, shows a big problem in MMORPGs these day. And that is how immersity is killed by stupid, lame, games in a world where there should be war, conflict and struggle for survival.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

CTF is just a little game that people can play if they so choose. It might be a nice way to test out your new gear before you head out into the unforgiving lands of Hyboria.

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

What puzzles me most is that I can see why people would copy some things from WoW, seeing as it is successful and so on and so forth.

But why then, copy CTF? I mean, even WoW players (as far as I've heard while I was playing it still) didn't really like that and it was a very controversial addition to the game at best. 

Anyway, I'm not going to condemn AoC because of this, mostly because yes, I see the practicality of having some quick PvP fun for players who can't dedicate enough time for a huge PvP Guild etc. I wouldn't have used this kind of minigame for it, but it's not as if that will alter the entire game.

Don't overreact because of something like this. It's strange and even a little puzzling, but it's not the complete "WoW-ization" that some here make it out to be.

• Daedalus732Daedalus732 Member Posts: 589

Originally posted by singsofdeath

But why then, copy CTF? I mean, even WoW players (as far as I've heard while I was playing it still) didn't really like that and it was a very controversial addition to the game at best. 

I wish I could say more on the subject, but everyone who is upset about CTF on these forums is beyond overreacting.

Originally posted by singsofdeath

What puzzles me most is that I can see why people would copy some things from WoW, seeing as it is successful and so on and so forth.

They must have done some research and find out that it would attract more players... only explanation I can think of.

Which would show that their wiew about what the game should be in the end is not too solid. My oppinion.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

I think that there would be no whining if the game mode would have not been called CTF. Simple marketing issues that some people tend to hang on to, it is quite ridiculous if you think about it; change flags to gems and don't call it CTF.

What is it then? Capture the epic war loot? No matter what you do, the principle of the game is always the same - no matter what game, you win or you lose. No mind on complaining game getting features anyhow, especially when it is not a defining feature of the game.

Originally posted by Zodan

I think that there would be no whining if the game mode would have not been called CTF. Simple marketing issues that some people tend to hang on to, it is quite ridiculous if you think about it; change flags to gems and don't call it CTF.
    What is it then? Capture the epic war loot? No matter what you do, the principle of the game is always the same - no matter what game, you win or you lose. No mind on complaining game getting features anyhow, especially when it is not a defining feature of the game.

I don't think capturing gems would be less lame, honest.

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491
    Originally posted by SBE1

I agree, capture the flag is a dorky addition to this game.

Agreed, but it's not like you have to participate in CTF.  However, it does nullify this hard-core, adult rating vibe that the game seems to be embracing.  I suppose it depends on how it is done that would make the final decision to me on this issue.

• Xris375Xris375 Member Posts: 1,005

CTF is lame in-game, hopefully this is just done for testing purposes and not implemented in the game as such. It would wreak havoc to the lore otherwize.

---
    And when we got more women on the team, it was like ‘No, no, no. We need puppies and horses in there.’ ”
    John Smedley, SOE

• spbrookespbrooke Member Posts: 82

Its not all lame...  you could always play a game or to when waiting for something.  But i do agree I hope it doesnt become anything too serious, like having these awsome rewards so people that only want the rewards will play CTF, and people who are there for the PvP feeling get averrun by people looking for "easier" armor, etc.  Not saying PvP is easier than PvE of course (both challenging in there own way ).

Osahar Ismassri
    Conscript of King's Guard
    http://guild-of-kings-guard.com/