Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Capture the Flag?

After re-reading a certain hands-on report from MMORPG.com staff Keith Cross (that report is here) I noticed the part about a Capture the Flag PvP scenario.  ..  What?  Capture the flag?  Why?  Does anyone else remember where the capture the flag scenario in MMOs debuted?  I think we all know.

This disappoints me.  What do you guys think about it?  Have the devs stated whether or not this capture the flag will make it into the final build?

Comments

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

Its just for a Fun factor, just like the tavern brawling fights.

If you want, you can go for a CTF game, if not, just don't go.

• SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340

I agree, capture the flag is a dorky addition to this game.

• throckmortonthrockmorton Member Posts: 314

The game having a lot of PvP options is nothing but a good thing. If you don't like it, don't play it.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

If you ask me there does not need to be some contrived excuse of flag capturing to make me want to kill other people.  I feel it does not fit with the lore of any mmorpg game.  I'd like them to keep this to a war scenario.  I'm there to fight people because they're invading my territory, not because they have captured my flag or taken control of some spot on the map that has no impact on the general world in any way shape or form.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

Is it Conan's flag?

If so then may it be heard far and wide that the point of taking the flag is:

To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women.

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• CnOathCnOath Member UncommonPosts: 33

Flag capture pvp is old boring and it makes me a sad Panda.

• so2404so2404 Member Posts: 57

its only there for 10mins of fun, because thats the time limit on the match it has no special rewards as far as i know no impact on the BK pvp and seige pvp

• TrikkeTrikke Member Posts: 90

Sounds like AoC is again going to be catering to children, to bad.

• ThecensoredThecensored Member Posts: 79

It's not like you HAVE to play CTF sheesh....it's just for fun, remember? fun?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

wow lots of jumping to conclusions in this thread already.

So far CTF is just a PvP mini game designed for fun and also to hone your PvP skills

There is also Drunken Brawling (doesnt matter what lvl you are)

Team Annihilation as well

But the focal PvP will take place in the Border Kingdoms, with more meaning and direct impact on your guild.

• ABRaquelABRaquel Member UncommonPosts: 541

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

So far CTF is just a PvP mini game designed for fun and also to hone your PvP skills
    But the focal PvP will take place in the Border Kingdoms, with more meaning and direct impact on your guild.
    I see CTF in the same level as Fishing in any other MMOs, just something to pass the time.

I don't see why some people are getting all up in arms just because you have something "optional" to do in PvP. Totally agree that CTF will help to hone your PvP skills, I don't want to train/hone my skills in the middle of a War.

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

Drunken brawling fits into a bar scene, though.  Team Annihilation?  Well, that's what war is. ;)

I just don't get why they chose to implement a system that got horrid feedback from gamers in WoW.  You could hardly find anyone in Warsong Gulch when the other two battlegrounds were implemented.  With Drunken Brawling and Team Annihilation, two systems that do fit in the game, I'm not sure why they felt the need to implement one that totally kills immersion.

Originally posted by Naryysys

Drunken brawling fits into a bar scene, though.  Team Annihilation?  Well, that's what war is. ;)
    I just don't get why they chose to implement a system that got horrid feedback from gamers in WoW.  You could hardly find anyone in Warsong Gulch when the other two battlegrounds were implemented.  With Drunken Brawling and Team Annihilation, two systems that do fit in the game, I'm not sure why they felt the need to implement one that totally kills immersion.
    Again its all choice, its not something forced on the player. Its also catering to those that want it in.

There is a cool search function for people wishing to PvP in these mini games where you can tag yourself for it and gets matches fast instead of waiting around, or organise a team.

I belive there is also an Arena style fighting, a 1v1 environment.:

From earlier in the year:

In PvP, there will be a Ranking System, how it will look is still in discussion.

There will be 20 levels, that’s clear.

We are playing with the idea to publish the best 10-20 PvP Players of each server on the internet each month, and we are thinking about possibilities to reward them in game as well.

First of all there are points and you climb up the ladder, but there might be some kind of prestige stuff, it might be that on the road to King Conan’s Palace, statues of the best 20 players of last week will be placed, these will be visit able, so you can click on them and see who was among the best – that’s just an idea, that’s not yet in game, but with such ideas we are playing with at the moment.

It might be as well a Death Match – in which the best 10 will be brought to the arena at a specific time and will fight each other. The last one standing will get a special item or a special rank, with all these things we are playing a bit, when its clearer you will get an update!

Sounds good to me!

• HengistHengist Member RarePosts: 1,282

Dont you think that part of the reason that it get's the rep that it does from WoW, is simply because of the manner in which WoW chooses to do it? What makes you think AoC is the same, and if you think about it, its pretty far from it.

WoW's introduction of mini-game PvP put a huge crip on World PvP, for a few reasons. Notably, that it was a far faster honor grind than just trying to world PvP. No ability to change the world, to capture points, nothing really, and last Novembers additions of world PvP did little to motivate people.

You realize that AoC still has meaning to world PvP, simply because of the nature of Guild verus Guild fights in the Border Kingdoms, that add a meaningful element (to me at least) to world PvP. We dont know what, if any rewards the mini-games will have, we dont know if it'll unbalance World PvP, all we do know, is that it's just another place/way to go and PvP, without the best rewards (found in the Border Kingdoms)

So really...what's so bad about it again?

• andredocandredoc Member UncommonPosts: 119

Some people makes too much drama

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by Baikal

Dont you think that part of the reason that it get's the rep that it does from WoW, is simply because of the manner in which WoW chooses to do it? What makes you think AoC is the same, and if you think about it, its pretty far from it.
    WoW's introduction of mini-game PvP put a huge crip on World PvP, for a few reasons. Notably, that it was a far faster honor grind than just trying to world PvP. No ability to change the world, to capture points, nothing really, and last Novembers additions of world PvP did little to motivate people.
    You realize that AoC still has meaning to world PvP, simply because of the nature of Guild verus Guild fights in the Border Kingdoms, that add a meaningful element (to me at least) to world PvP. We dont know what, if any rewards the mini-games will have, we dont know if it'll unbalance World PvP, all we do know, is that it's just another place/way to go and PvP, without the best rewards (found in the Border Kingdoms)
    So really...what's so bad about it again?

Allow me to say that for one, I hate instanced PvP in the sense of 15 on 15.  If I want that, I'll go play Unreal Tournament.  That's personal opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree.  Secondly, I don't like little bells and whistles placed in MMOs that don't fit into the world.  I like immersion.  Again, it's a personal opinion.

My point was that with all the other systems that are fresh and fit into the world (as does Drunken Brawling), why does it need an immersion-killer like capture the flag?  Capture the flag works horridly with MMO mechanics anyways, in my opinion (Anyone who has played WoW CTF level 30ish against a Druid will probably share my view).

I've also been treated as if I'm X'ing AoC off my list because of this.  Heck no, I'll still probably play it.  Get off the "drama queen" bandwagon.  I just feel this was a bad move.  I opened it up for discussion by posting this thread, just to see what people think about it.  Thus, the questions asked in my original post.

• bluealien1bluealien1 Member Posts: 526
    Originally posted by ABRaquel

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

I see CTF in the same level as Fishing in any other MMOs, just something to pass the time.
    I don't see why some people are getting all up in arms just because you have something "optional" to do in PvP. Totally agree that CTF will help to hone your PvP skills, I don't want to train/hone my skills in the middle of a War.

I agree.

Allow me to say that for one, I hate instanced PvP in the sense of 15 on 15.  If I want that, I'll go play Unreal Tournament.  That's personal opinion, I don't expect everyone to agree.  Secondly, I don't like little bells and whistles placed in MMOs that don't fit into the world.  I like immersion.  Again, it's a personal opinion.

Okay, now we know your personal opinion. As far as bells and whistles, immersion is personal as well, what breaks it for you might be enjoyable for others, but I can see you do understand that. What makes you sure that the CTF and PvP mini-games will be in a context that doesnt fit?

My point was that with all the other systems that are fresh and fit into the world (as does Drunken Brawling), why does it need an immersion-killer like capture the flag?  Capture the flag works horridly with MMO mechanics anyways, in my opinion (Anyone who has played WoW CTF level 30ish against a Druid will probably share my view).
    I've also been treated as if I'm X'ing AoC off my list because of this.  Heck no, I'll still probably play it.  Get off the "drama queen" bandwagon.  I just feel this was a bad move.  I opened it up for discussion by posting this thread, just to see what people think about it.  Thus, the questions asked in my original post.

So why cloud your point with continual references to the World of Warcraft system? Again, your opinion is pretty much based on what you do know, WoW. You evidently left out what you know about AoC, because nobody knows exactly how the CTF is working right now, other than it's a mini-game. As far as us suggesting you wont play it, I dont see that, but it's pretty obvious you dont know half as much about it as you think you do (and in some cases, the info just isnt out there for ANYONE to know) but you are filling in the gaps with your WoW experience.

Do you really, honestly think that the only way to do CTF is the way that WoW did it? You dont think the Funcom dev's are smart enough to make it enjoyable, and not unbalancing, or to at least try?

No, I'm not slamming you, I just think you are making some pretty large assumptions because there are not facts available so you can fill in the blanks.

• kashaunkashaun Member Posts: 220

Definitely wont be for everyone. Probably not one of the things I'll be doing either. I would prefer they just add more to the world changing pvp but that's cool, a lot of people like it. I'll probably use wondering around in the border areas and maybe mercing my team out for training instead, but ctf might be fun if not a lot of the gang are on.

Never give up and never surrender!

Originally posted by BadChef
    Definitely wont be for everyone. Probably not one of the things I'll be doing either. I would prefer they just add more to the world changing pvp but that's cool, a lot of people like it. I'll probably use wondering around in the border areas and maybe mercing my team out for training instead, but ctf might be fun if not a lot of the gang are on.

I tend to agree with you. There is definitely a place for the mini-games, because sometimes people want some objective based quick action style PvP. I think the jaded opinions come from how Blizzard did it, where it then became the only way to quickly grind honor. If Funcom takes anything from Blizzard, I'd just hope that they find ways to have it, and make it have some value, without taking anything away from the Border Kingdom PvP (which I tend to think is probably the PvP "highlight" anyhow.)

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

"This simple game has its basis in history.  For centuries the nature of warfare centered around capturing the flag of the enemy.  It didn't matter how many soldiers were killed, wounded, or captured in a battle.  Victory only came when the flag was captured.  Likewise, the only way to avoid being defeated was to protect your own flag."

It sounds like a fairly realistic battle simulation game to me. I don't see any issue with immersion at all. Soldiers throughout history have played this game to hone thier skills and keep from losing thier minds when serving long terms in border keeps.

• LL Member Posts: 70

Lol i was that druid in wow....

For real though as long as CTF stays as a quick non-productive thing it will be fine. To me CTF if played right, yes im talking about teamwork here, can be strategic and loads of fun. As for a reason to CTF there could be many:

-pass time

-hone in on pvp skills

-increase small group/guild bonding and strategy

-small rewards such as shirts, pets, fireworks, funny hats  anything that does not pose an advantage in the world

as long as they do not make it into an honor grind or rewarding system it will be fine, so why keep dwelling on it.

O and back to the WoW thing, CTF wasn't played after AB and AV came out because the rewards for the two new battle grounds were so much better. + CTF had evolved into a turtle or hiding game.

so naryysys just chill out this isn't a big deal and how they implement it is up to the devs its the players choice either  to accept or reject their product.

LØST

• LissLiss Member Posts: 48

One thing that i kind of worry about is that our PvP toons and PvE toons are kind of seperate in terms of skill and gear.

When your PvPing it doesnt really matter if you killed that uber dragon and looted omghotswordofdeath from it last week. Which i feel is good, but for those of us that love to PvP but might not want to do it in a BG then it might pose an advantage to those people that dont mind grinding it out in a BG getting gear and skills that the guys that arent in there 10+ hours a day.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

So after beheading enemies and feeling so cool, cutting off limbs and all that, you meet and play capture the flag? ROFL

Originally posted by altairzq

So after beheading enemies and feeling so cool, cutting off limbs and all that, you meet and play capture the flag? ROFL

Yep and you can do all those things in CTF too. Better still you can do them in a team environment and learn how to do them better in a non extreme importance area ;)