Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GFX Card noises

RubakaiRubakai Member Posts: 97

Hi all,

recently acquired a new 8800 GTX gfx card. I have run a number of benchmark tests on it and is working fine, in game there seems to be no problems. However I have noticed that when it is processing it is making various screeching noises. Dont get me wrong its not hand over ears loud but you can definitely hear it. I assume its the card because it only happens in game. For example in some menu screens if you highlight a selection in the menu it will start making the noise, when you take the mouse pointer away it stops. My new comp I built is much more open, ie there are more vents in it than I have ever had so I CAN hear more (still quiet). Was just wondering if this is a major problem and whether I need to send it back or whether there is something I can do.

Thanks for any feedback.

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

hmm.. interesting..

i think this card needs further testing.

please send it to me so i can do a complete QA check on it.

thanks

anyway.. the screeching sounds.. are they the cards cooling fan cycling faster ? i've occasionally gotten a bad fan that has something misaligned about the blades and it makes a funny whir, or a buzz from it's bearings.

if you think it's abnormal you really should RMA the card, if there is a "problem" with the cooling unit it will only lead to much larger problems later, like after the warranty expires

• LoveAndPeaceLoveAndPeace Member Posts: 7

There are also silent cooling solutions for difrent videocards (don't know if they got one for this card though)

You can look around on the net or visit your local PC-shop to see what is possible , to chance your cooling solution.

My graphics card has no fans at all, the only fan in my PC is the (slowRPM-special-low-noise) fan from the  Power Supply Unit (PSU) wich makes my PC allmost ultra silent.

War does not determine who is Right just who is Left.

• RubakaiRubakai Member Posts: 97

thanks for the input guys,

I have looked around further on the internet and apparently quite a few 8 series have a problem with the fan being misaglined, on first startup it will make the noise but it should go away. Infact on mine it does after five or so minutes. Should cease after abit apparently. This anything you have heard of?