Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

UX:O cancelled for betterment of UO!

Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

UX:O has been cancelled so the dev team can concentrate on Ultima Online and another unknown project. That is bad and good news. Good for people who play Ultima Online. And it may mean that they are bringing OLD UO back. To counter act all the free shards out there.

サ ー ス ベ ン

Comments

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

bringing back old uo now will be a little to late i fear, but im still playing osi as of now anyways

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

I highly doubt they will bring back the old UO.

Their 'unannounced project', if EA is as predictable as I think they are, will consist of these things:

- more housing space, possibly another facet like Malas to provide that

- even bigger plot sizes

- more lame monsters that kill in one hit and have insane amounts of hitpoints, and do something lame like throw bones that turn into undead or some garbage

- new overpowered rare equipment

- new veteran rewards to entice old players/keep old players still playing

- power scrolls that go up to like 140 or something, knowing them

- more ways to go beyond the 700 skill cap

In other words, nothing that will positively affect gameplay. What's sad is that UO's current playerbase would lap up those kinds of things. EA will never bring back the old UO, I saw in another thread that players have tried and they said that they didn't have the software to make an old school shard, or something. We all know that is BS. If there are THIRD PARTY programs available to create player run old school shards, then EA could make an official one if they wanted to. But they don't.

Maybe it's better that UXO died before it was released, because EA would probably have pulled the plug on it somewhere down the line anyway like they did with EnB. I can't understand how they could kill brand new, promising, anticipated games TWICE NOW, in order to make enhancements on a dying and outdated game. Much as I didn't like UXO's cartoony graphics, it beats attack animations that consist of three frames and sprites that are horribly lacking in contrast and depth.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

i dont know why people need bigger houses lol im happy with my fel 2story, had a tower but when it went IDOC and fell i just placed a 2 story thats workin fine for me dont really need anymore room now

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Skael
    I highly doubt they will bring back the old UO.
    Their 'unannounced project', if EA is as predictable as I think they are, will consist of these things:
    - more housing space, possibly another facet like Malas to provide that
    - even bigger plot sizes
    - more lame monsters that kill in one hit and have insane amounts of hitpoints, and do something lame like throw bones that turn into undead or some garbage
    - new overpowered rare equipment
    - new veteran rewards to entice old players/keep old players still playing
    - power scrolls that go up to like 140 or something, knowing them
    - more ways to go beyond the 700 skill cap
    In other words, nothing that will positively affect gameplay. What's sad is that UO's current playerbase would lap up those kinds of things. EA will never bring back the old UO, I saw in another thread that players have tried and they said that they didn't have the software to make an old school shard, or something. We all know that is BS. If there are THIRD PARTY programs available to create player run old school shards, then EA could make an official one if they wanted to. But they don't.
    Maybe it's better that UXO died before it was released, because EA would probably have pulled the plug on it somewhere down the line anyway like they did with EnB. I can't understand how they could kill brand new, promising, anticipated games TWICE NOW, in order to make enhancements on a dying and outdated game. Much as I didn't like UXO's cartoony graphics, it beats attack animations that consist of three frames and sprites that are horribly lacking in contrast and depth.Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

*Laughing* now that sounds VERY OSI'ish

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• Originally posted by Sir-Sven

UX:O has been cancelled so the dev team can concentrate on Ultima Online and another unknown project. That is bad and good news. Good for people who play Ultima Online. And it may mean that they are bringing OLD UO back. To counter act all the free shards out there.
    «µ ー «¹ «Ù «ó

That is/was their official statement. The actual truth is they are LYING. And they were caught in their lie. Check out the quote in the 3rd to last post, by Venge:

http://ultimax.ogaming.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1754

Electronic Arts aka EA, which fired the creator of the ULTIMA title, simply is ruled by managers who know (bleeeep) about making a brand new MMORPG. Gross missmanagement is the name of the game at EA. UXO was cancelled because of gross missmanagement.

=========================
    ======= SIGNATURE =========
    MMORPG games I've played:
    -------------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/capt_xplororor

More games:
    -----------
    http://community.webshots.com/user/xplororor_archives01

Sigh . Once again you spew forth bull .

Said by the guy who replied the first time to your thread on those boards. That pretty much sums up my opinion of it, I hate EA and it's sad to see UXO die but your points are pretty bad. For example, pretending not to be a sequel to UO. Whether or not it's officially a "sequel" makes no difference, it's an Ultima game that will appeal to Ultima fans, and that's that. You took a very structured, outlined approach to organize a totally incoherent and meaningless rant. Most of the people on there took the thread as an opportunity to post their own rants about UXO instead of commenting on yours.

• Originally posted by Skael

I hate EA and it's sad to see UXO die but your points are pretty bad. For example, pretending not to be a sequel to UO. Whether or not it's officially a "sequel" makes no difference, it's an Ultima game that will appeal to Ultima fans, and that's that.

Exactly my point! By using the ULTIMA title they are going to get the attention of  the UO fans. Yet, as in the post I highlighted/am directing everyone's attention to on those forums....... they claimed they were making UXO to not compeate vs UO. Aka UXO was not going to be a sequel to UO.

Then when they canceled UXO they claimed the reason was because it would compeat vs UO.... aka no matter how much they pretended otherwise... it was going to end up a sequel to UO. LOL!

Funny thing is they should have been worrying about the OTHER ultra-new-modern mmorpgs out there that would have been compeating vs UXO, not worrying over if UXO would be compeating vs their own ancient 5+ year old game UO.

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

I do not see how a game competing with another game of the same series determines whether or not it is a sequel. Nor do I see how whether or not it is a sequel has anything to do with its being cancelled or any bad behavior on EA's part. Please elaborate though, this is kind of interesting.

• Originally posted by Skael
    I do not see how a game competing with another game of the same series determines whether or not it is a sequel.

EA on purpose use the title ULTIMA in their newest MMORPG (UXO). Why? Because they wanted to associate their new MMOPRG with their old MMORPG. That makes it a sequel, no matter how different UXO was intended to be.

Nor do I see how whether or not it is a sequel has anything to do with its being cancelled or any bad behavior on EA's part. Please elaborate though, this is kind of interesting.

Here is the original post by Venge:

(scroll down to about halfway down the page, right under Alasan's post:

http://ultimax.ogaming.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1745&st=25&

It was EA theirselves who said in their official statement UXO was cancelled because they felt UXO would compeat vs UO. This after for months ago, to 1 year ago, EA said UXO was not a sequel to UO, and would not be compeating vs UO. If UXO really was not a sequel to UO, then they had nothing to fear about UXO compeating vs UO.

If they feared UXO would be compeating vs UO then unofficially UXO would have been a sequel to UXO, no matter how much EA was denying UXO was not a sequel.

IMHO the fact they even used the ULTIMA title in their new MMORPG automatically ment UXO would be compeating vs UO. Then EA goes on to say UXO was ment to be a sequel to Ultima 9 (the stand alone game.). Then make UXO be a stand alone game instead of a MMORPG heheheh. Then EA goes even further and gets rid of all the game DEVs, destroys Origin forever, totally killing any chance in heaven or hell of a UO2 ever getting officially made in the future.

(I mean, perhaps if Origin were still around they could buy theirselves from EA the same way Turbine is trying to buy theirselves from MicroCrap.... errrr... MicroSoft.)

Star Wars Galaxies:
    -------------------

More games:
    -----------

I go and make a post, and MMORPG.com ignores it. When I go back to it it says 'page has expired'. Screw that, I'm not trying it up again.

I put up a real serious post a few days ago to a thread that I had finally just had it with as well and it was ate. I hit submit and the forum accepted it and said so but it never made it onto the thread. I was abit pissed about that. As for timing out, do you have your cookies turned on? If you don't there isn't much they can do to stop the time outs. You can't run long session based cookies, its server suicide.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Yeah, my cookies are turned on.

I was just going to flame about the faulty logic behind xplororor's sequel/competition relationship thing anyway, and we can all do without flames I guess. image

• MDruidMDruid Member Posts: 82

I knew UX:O was not going to work out because it went into classes and the virture system ugh. However I think the betterment of UO was really just so they could reach into your pockets faster with their expansion set.

Guns don't kill people, idiots do!
    My Website
    MDruid Comics

Guns don't kill people, idiots do!
    My Website
    MDruid Comics

• DerfelCadarnDerfelCadarn Member Posts: 875
    UXO looked pretty cool and I think that it could have worked out. UO however, is dying, and OSI keeps saying "Uo will be better for it" everytime they are too afraid to take another risk. Uo will be no better, and OSI will keep on sucking it dry before they take a "risk".

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://eq2imperium.proboards15.com

People have been saying UO is dieing since the release of EQ and still are. UO isn't going anywhere until EA just pulls the plug because they are just tired of dealing with it because the fan base for it as far as I can see is still strong as hell. UO isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• DerfelCadarnDerfelCadarn Member Posts: 875
    UO used to be the 2nd biggest mmorpg, now it is 5 or 6 biggest. The people staying on UO, just like it because of their "uber" characters. EA ruined the game. If you want to play real UO before it got ruined, play the free shards- they are better and have no monthly fee.

EQ2 Qeynos Guild- http://eq2imperium.proboards15.com

Oh my, that definatly has it slated for demise. Are you kidding, UO STILL as outdated as it is, is still ranked very high in with a list of ALOT of competition and it has not been on the top for awhile. Everquest has held rank over it for quite some time. You are not even beginning to count all the free shards with has a huge user base that OSI can't count into the numbers. UO is in no danger and barely threatened by many new titles out there.

- Fadeus Hawkwood

- Scaris

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

[quote]Originally posted by DerfelCadarn
    [b]UO used to be the 2nd biggest mmorpg, now it is 5 or 6 biggest. The people staying on UO, just like it because of their "uber" characters. EA ruined the game. If you want to play real UO before it got ruined, play the free shards- they are better and have no monthly fee.

imageEQ2 Qeynos Guild- [url=http://eq2imperium.proboards15.com][/b][/quote]

UO used to be the biggest. It made the Guiness Book of World Records once. I think it was in 2000. I've got the book.

• retiredmjretiredmj Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Lol, that's just hilarious they did the same thing about 3 years back with UO2, said they didn't want to take away from UO............

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813

imageLet's face it, EA, like every other multi-conglomerate game publisher, is the horse's ass.  These "big kahunas" run and snap up promising licenses, then wring the life out of them.  At one time, the early investors believed in what they were doing, and figured that these guys needed some extra backing to finance their amazing visions.  Those days are no more.  With the video games being a multi-billion dollar industry, it's now all about flash and glitter and lots of slime-ball marketing execs running the show.  I've worked in the game industry, and I've seen this sickening trend come to an ugly head.  EA, Infogrames, Universal Vivendi, and all the rest of their ilk are just trying to milk the industry for all it's worth before it stops yielding them the profits they projected.  The Ultima name is one such casualty of this.  Any old school Ultima fan knows how great the Ultima name used to be, and how amazingly powerful the franchise was.  It even spawned a few console system incarnations.

This year's E3 was a sad sign of the times.  I saw so many big name developers catering to the big money investors that roamed their booths, and they treated casual gamers and "fan boys" with appalling disdain.  I guess they forgot that those "fan boys" are their customer base.  EA was no better.  In one of the most sickening displays of high glamour marketing, they tried to dominate the hall they were stationed in with a gigantic wide screen presentation of some of their flashier upcoming titles.  The decible range was near deafening, and in one moment of sheer disgust, I witnessed an ultra-violent rip-off of Grand Theft Auto being displayed in all it's bloody glory, replete with gang bangers surronding some guy while a large "homie" smashed his face in, with some gratuitous blood splattering, and a smooth hip-hop sound track.  This garbage has taken the place of precious gems like the once great Ultima franchise, that are pushed to the wayside as marketing teams try to anticipate the needs of their "focus groups", usually made up of a bunch of punks that just want some free goodies and tell the marketing teams what they think they want to hear.  I saw some "focus group" reports once, and it was a saddening thing.  My age bracket wasn't even included in the equation.

I was looking forward to UO:X, and when I saw the weak press statement given as an excuse for it's cancellation, I just knew that it was yet another case of some non-gamer marketing exec running away from a risky profit margin in the hopes of keeping his expendable job.  UO will be marginally supported, and the only thing that really keeps it alive is it's community, which unfortunately, is fading into the sunset.  I tend not to support EA products if I can help it.  You should hear the horror stories that some of their testers have to tell.image

FFXI: Tarutaru WHM/BLM/Elvaan Dragoon (closed)
    DAoC: Inconnu Necromancer/Avalonian Theurgist (closed)
    EQ: Froglok Paladin/Vah Shir Shaman (closed)
    CoH: Technology Defender (closed)
    EVE Online: Amarr (open)
    Lineage II: Dark Elf Mage (open)
    Ragnarok Online: Crusader (closed)

• seanyukseanyuk Member Posts: 5

I left UO begining of the year and yes I had my fill of it.

I don't see much changing so I moved to Ashen Empires with some other old guild mates.

Hope fully some of you will come and try it and see how stale UO has become.

• wendyXwendyX Member Posts: 32

i wish the UOX would have came out though i like ZUO but UOX would have been sweet