Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ULTIMA X: ODYSSEY HAS BEEN CANCELLED!!

13»

Comments

• knives22knives22 Member Posts: 375

Ultima Online 7th Anniversary Edition<- fuck it I dont give a shit about it.. iw as hoping to play UO X and FFXi wich i am now playing.. GRRR..fuckers..after SOOOO much hype and look..idiots.. I WISH YOU ALL ROT IN HELL....

• sirmbsirmb Member Posts: 6
    I wonder how they gonna name their third UO title once they realize UO is not gonna live forever? and their 4th ? hmmm
  • sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 682

Just out of curiosity, Sir-sven, why do you have this peculiar aversion to 3D graphics? I've seen a few posts by you already saying, "If it has 3D graphics I don't want to touch it!". You act like adding breathtaking scenery and stuff somehow ruins a game compared to crappy 2D graphics. Do you not play any other game made in the past few years whether it's a playstation, nintendo, arcade, or single-player PC simply because they're 3D as well? Or are you solely basing that decision on the fact that your "beloved" UO tried adding 3D in that one expansion and many people didn't like it? Just because the 3D in UO sucked doesn't mean all 3D in every other game made is bad, or that the games are bad simply because they are in 3D.

Back on topic... I had planned on playing UX:O instead of WoW or EQ2, but now I guess I'll probably have to check them out. I don't like the looks of EQ2 much, but WoW looks like it could be fun. Until then I'm kind of floating around in the game world. I've recently gone back to AC2, but I'm already getting a bit bored with it. I was playing City of Heroes before that. It was fun but I think I'll wait until they have added more content before I give it another shot. Now I'm thinking of going back to Anarchy Online for a while. Haven't played that for a couple years I think.

Man, this UX:O cancellation has really bummed me out. image

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

No, I don't like 3d because with 2d it makes me feel in control of what's going on. I can see everything. That's the majority of it. But not all 3d games are like that. I do play PS2 sometimes, and those are fun. So I guess I must reword my aversion. I don't like games where you have to turn around and then see whats going on. It takes too long. I like 2d and 3d games, just not 3d games that are annoying. As dumb as that sounds. Hehe.::::07::

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

• Sir-SvenSir-Sven Member Posts: 773

Originally posted by Sir-Sven
    No, I don't like 3d because with 2d it makes me feel in control of what's going on. I can see everything. That's the majority of it. But not all 3d games are like that. I do play PS2 sometimes, and those are fun. So I guess I must reword my aversion. I don't like games where you have to turn around and then see whats going on. It takes too long. I like 2d and 3d games, just not 3d games that are annoying. As dumb as that sounds. Hehe.::::07::
    But this game looked fun! One of the only 3d games I would have liked. ::::21::サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

サ ー ス ベ ン
    imageimage

Crap! I didn't mean to do that! Crap!::::07::

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

Crap! I didn't mean to do that! Crap!::::07::

I usually prefer 2D as well, I just wish some decent 2D game, or a 3D game with an isometric kind of view, would come out. I have no sense of direction in 3D games, with the exception of Lineage 2 and Shadowbane because the point and click movement and the camera options lend themselves to creating a Dungeon Siege kind of view, if you want to. I hate fumbling around with camera controls and turning my character to see what's going on, especially if I'm taking damage or need to heal someone etc. In 2D games, particularly UO, the trick to escaping from someone in PvP is to get off of their screen and lose them that way. In 3D games, DAoC for example, the trick to escaping is to get out of their range and keep running so that even if they chase you, they will never catch you because they run at the same speed and you will always remain the same distance apart. Both are very frustrating when you're the one doing the chasing.

Apart from that, "fast-paced" MMORPGs coming out like AC2 and CoH are still fumbly in my opinion because you have to target each individual mob, make sure you're in range, etc. Isometric 2D lends itself way more to fast-paced combat, just look at Diablo II. I believe that a 2D game, or a game that's fixed overhead the way Warcraft III is but stil 3D, could still be immersive and attractive with enough decorations and eye candy, reflective water, and sophisticated lighting.

Vendor buy us all a decent MMORPG bank guards recdu recsu

Ahh, ok I understand, thanks for the explanation. I know the feeling though I guess. In all the MMORPGs I tend to stay in the 3rd Person view so that I can see my surroundings more. Doing this makes the gameplay just like, or near enough what you have in 2D isometric games like UO, Diablo, etc. I don't like to zoom fully into first person view, and I also don't like the FPS (first person shooter) games simply for that same reason of not feeling like I know what's going on to my sides or behind me. Although for all I know some of the newer FPS games allow you to zoom out from your character, I just have never bought one to find out.

• DienekesDienekes Member Posts: 484

I personally prefer 3D for the explorer aspect in me...I love to be able to go into first person and look out across a huge valley from a cliff that is 2000 feet in the air and to actually feel like I can fall or have the feeling of being that high up.  lol

Anyway, thanks to whomever posted that reply to my post about the Garriot playing Lord British...I truthfully didn't know if he did or not so I didn't want to assume that he did.  :)  I just realised tho that it sounded like I assumed he didn't...oh well.  lol

"Feel free to hate me, but hate me for the right reasons."

"Your still ignorant if you believe the first thing you see when the blindfold is removed."

"Be smart enough to know I'm smarter than you."

• CarsonCarson Member Posts: 17

Well this is a kick in the pants

Yes it is, Carson. Right between the legs too.

• HellsbaneHellsbane Member Posts: 23
    I am stumped by this decision. The advance sells of the game were great, and were likely to get even better as the game drew closer to gold status. It just makes no sense.

Death is but a dream. Welcome to your worst nightmare!!

Death is but a dream. Welcome to your worst nightmare!!

• ko1oko1o Member UncommonPosts: 117
    a lot of people was realy looking forword to this game too. image

Ko1o

• StuuStuu Member Posts: 36

• SkaelSkael Member Posts: 115

Well, you know what.. I think that maybe it's not so bad that UXO got cancelled. EA could have done something worse, like release it only to shut it down a few months later like with EnB. Or they could have just made it suck really really bad, like they did with UO.

With MMORPGs, I am convinced that EA is to be avoided. They don't know what they're doing and money is their top priority.

• Last_KnightLast_Knight Member Posts: 2

NOOOOOOOO!!! ::::16::

• psibotpsibot Member Posts: 254
    imageimageimage ARGHHH imageimageimage I still don't want to believe it is realityimageimageimage

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.

---
    Light laughter and sweet water to you fellow adventures.