Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does planeshift have redeeming qualities that make it worth trying?

QueenofFoolsQueenofFools PlaneShift DeveloperMember Posts: 61

Just curious, if we change the tone where does the conversation go?

Comments

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

I had to pick addict based on the fact that I now write for the game... without getting paid. If that is not addicted, I don't know what is.

(help me)

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

• AnumesaAnumesa Member Posts: 19
    Definitely addicted...I love this game! :D
  • liadancreagliadancreag Member Posts: 1
    I would say addicted, but i'm not addicted...just play it regularly...and always on the IRC channel...and actively participate in the forum. But no, I'm not addicted. Nope Nope Nope.

NB: Above is sarcastic and meant to be humorous...If you don't get, You need to lay off the serious pills...seriously.
  • AkashaniAkashani Member Posts: 1

I had to pick addict, because i am.

In consideration of the fact that planeshift is in an early alphastadium it is amazing what the developers realised  by now.

Thumb up, a great roleplaying game!

I love this game.

• moteyalphamoteyalpha Member Posts: 32

I put plays regularly because I can't spare the time to be an addict. If I were honest with myself I would say addict, but then I would have to admit other flaws too so I am going with plays regularly.

• SalonaSalona Member Posts: 7

Addicted, just clock down the hours I've been on within a year . Just acctually started to play Planeshift to pass time and got stuck with it

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

I haven't tried it in a few years, have thought about trying it again lately. I love opensource work and it should be supported. The last time I tried it though, I was unable to find any monsters to slay.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Sure has been a while! I will have to download it and explore the terrain for monsters to hunt. Thanks for the reply.

• pstruthpstruth Member Posts: 233

Originally posted by QueenofFools

Just curious, if we change the tone where does the conversation go?
    Let's get this straight. Saying that there are things that could be improved is not the same as saying the game has no redeeming values. Plenty of people who have commented on Planeshift's areas of improvement have also talked about its redeeming values (including myself).

QOF, it seems like you feel you've been victimized by the posts that aren't all flowers. Snap out of it.

Well I voted once but I wanted to comment on the theme which is a new direction, I see that someone is just playing with the discussion lists because of some problem and I am not a social healer so I am not going any further with that. If  they want to email me with suggestions to improve the game they can otherwise I have nothing further to say on that , I think it is clear to anyone that they are simply using this list for attention and that is fine if the moderators allow it, it is fine with me. I can move on, I really enjoy the people I work with and no amount of negative criticism will change that, it simply a fact. I really respect the technical skill of the programmers, the quality of the art, the attention to detail in game documentation and the management of the project as a whole.

Originally posted by qombi

Sure has been a while! I will have to download it and explore the terrain for monsters to hunt. Thanks for the reply.
    I am new to Planeshift and I like the role play but I like to hunt the monsters too, I think it wouldn't quite be the same without the ability to play at dueling and fighting monsters. My favorite is the group feature that allows several people to hunt together. You have your own private window for the group. Very nice feature in my opinion.

Parties are pretty common with mmorpgs. Planeshift parties are different though because they have no size limit. It's nice for group chats. :)

Does Planeshift have redeeming qualities that make it worth trying.

How does this relate at all:

it seems like you feel you've been victimized by the posts that aren't all flowers. Snap out of it.

This is a good example of how people  fail to communicate and I think that group play in Planeshift helps people to understand what other people are about when they are doing something. It is similar to being grouped with 4 people and having one attack a different monster than anybody else. It is very frustrating and eventually they have to be left to their own devices because they can't seem to realize that it is a group effort and the key to that is staying focused on the goal. I t has nothing to do with any individual at all but the common purpose of all the people together. Strangely enough, people will do this in game also. If they aren't in the group anymore then they want to interfere with the group and if psychology was my major I would try and figure that out, but I do programming and I will leave that answer to a psychologist or sociologist. It is a real effect and happens all the time on the internet in chat rooms,projects,games and here also. I bet if I could figure out why that happens it would be a great benefit to all, even those that feel left out. I have been -left out- before, but  I simply say it didn't work out and I am not going to waste my time on it if I can't get seem to fit. It never occurs to me that everyone is wrong and I am right, that seems illogical as a first assumption. I could be true but decision trees seem to favor the plurality in this case. And in addition what do I gain by disrupting a group? This is  purely emotional response and it something that I personally don't comprehend at all.

I find your take on things interesting because the combat in Planeshift isn't really developed and teamplay isn't really a tactic that exists in game yet.  It's basically a whole lot of attacks where you run through the model of your target hoping to land a hit through proper timing while at the same time denying your target the chance to retaliate.  You do have long ranged attacks, but you don't have clerics who can heal people at a distance or really help through healing magics in any significant way.  At least not once you get to the tougher monsters.  And if you're fighting rats, chances are you'll only have a healer if it's a high level player who's taking time to help out those who are new.

If someone is a part of a party and decides they'd be more productive if they went off and soloed something, then that's just their choice. They're still working for the group. If you were bothered by something like this then may I suggest it was a simple misunderstanding? I doubt someone thought to herself "I'm going to be a jerk by fighting that tefusang all by myself, even though the loot and experience will still be shared with the entire group!"

Originally posted by moteyalpha

If they aren't in the group anymore then they want to interfere with the group and if psychology was my major I would try and figure that out, but I do programming and I will leave that answer to a psychologist or sociologist.

This sounds an awful lot like American president George Bush's line "You're either with us or against us".

Laughing out loud, still not on topic :) [whispers off camera : "pssst we were fighting this together because if only 3 fight we all end up in DR, get it?]

You make my point perfectly, you don't actually get it do you? How odd.

I hope to learn more about people by role playing but I am afraid there is lot's I still don't know and I do feel that Planeshift is an environment that does foster -good- social interaction for all ages.

As far as team play goes, when was the last time you actually played? That is quite developed and works well but actually I think I understand why it doesn't work for you :)

I am not trying to be derogatory at all , I just really find it amusing as a classic example of how difficult it is to have people from so many different geological, cultural and social backgrounds develop role play. I have friends from Russia , Canada, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Africa, Australia, China , United States, Argentina, France and we all play in game and that is so odd because our culture is so different.

There are people that I cannot group with because their logic about what is going on is so different that I don't know what they expect and we always end up in DR, blaming each other for the failure to cooperate.

You don't roleplay to learn about a person... when you roleplay, you're a character that you've created. When I roleplay with someone I might learn about that person's creativity, but I'm dealing with a character.

Instead of speculating on why my opinion shouldn't matter, perhaps you could talk about what parts of my opinion you specifically disagree with? Where specifically do you think I have done the combat system injustice?

As far as working as a team successfully, a part of teamwork and group dynamics is learning to embrace your differences. And without good communication...

Even then, what if your character is a coward? Or what if you roleplay an evil character? Then it's entirely appropriate for you to run away in the midst of battle.

You make excellent points.

That is what I try to do, understand what is going on, I admit that I am new to the game and RP is the hardest part because I have trouble understanding people. That is where some of the confusion must happen with me personally, I may not realize that someone is just playing at being a fool or coward or aggressor or in my case an adventurer. I can be difficult to separate the two things and some people just act out real frustrations or don't seem to care. I actually had someone come up to me in game and say in character "hey you look stupid", "give me an email address to join the dev team". If they were role playing I am still to figure out what role -that- was.

As far as the combat system, I don't have any problems myself, I just work with what I have. It took me a while to multi-task and watch the others health level so we could run if we were being beaten badly by the target. Also giving clues to how to approach a target typing in one window and controlling movement in another was difficult but I don't see how that can be improved and still stay compatible with a wide array of systems. I learn by doing and it seems that the interface is well ahead of my skills and I am finding new ways to use it every day. Right click on panel is something I just learned and set transparency is neat because I kept getting windows on top of targets and getting lost until I figured out they could go transparent. I am sure there are dozens of things I still have to learn before I could say this or that is completely useless or the greatest heads up ever.

As far as social, cultural or political issues they are generally verbotten IG to the best of my knowledge and violations are "/report" able though I haven't tried that yet.

I and others can also have trouble with language and can slip into native tongue without realizing and I accept that from others as a natural mistake every once in a while.

Do you use hotkeys?  Creating your own shortcuts is one of the ways people do well in the game. You might have a shortcut to target the nearest being and attack it, another to cast arrow, and another to drink a health potion. You can also hotkey shortcuts for speach, allowing you to give commands during the battle without taking your hand off the mouse or playing around with the windows.

Those are good suggestions and  shows where I can learn something, I have used hot keys for targeting before but did'nt know you could get to and back from windows, I will try that, thank you. I don't understand cast arrow at all though? I don't think I have ever heard of that.

I will have to read the web site again, and search for "cast arrow" or maybe help screen has it?

What I meant by playing around with windows is that normally, to speak, you would have to stop what you're doing (or switch to autorun), click on the chat window, type what you want to say, enter it, then click outside of the window again.  If you hotkey a saying or blurb, you can do all that just by pressing a single key on the keyboard.

By casting an arrow I mean using the arrow glyph (or its upgrades).

• AnumesaAnumesa Member Posts: 19
    I love my shortcuts :D

I have all my important spells such as healing and one or to major attacks under shortcuts, it saves so much time from having to type /cast blahblahblah...but i also love how PS has the commands system. Since im on a mac, i have no right click and its so much easier to just type in /target or /next item or /examine.

• ListyListy Member Posts: 4

Alright, well I just have to say that I enjoy this game a lot. Its redeeming qualities would be the community, and the story itself, and *how* the story shall continue to grow. One thing I really like,  is that people don't $p3@ke n da 1337 hax0r. After having played CS for several years, it gets annoying. I also like the fact that this is the ONLY game (in my years on the net and in other mmorpgs) actually has a roleplaying community, and no, I don't mean a few players, I mean most of the players. It makes it worth sticking around, even after you've maxed out and have nothing really else to do. The simple fact that RP allows you to expand your character's story, and allows for different things to happen kinda make the game, endless.

I've played many mmorpgs, Regnum, 2 Moons, Conquer, Star Wars Galaxies, Runescape, and a few others.... Though those are the only ones coming to mind at the moment... heh... Though all of these games had some nice qualities, some more then others, I'd have to say, that none of them had the deep experiance planeshift provides, nor the community that cares to help those who are new and not just tell them to simply "5tfu n00b"

I look forward to future updates, and current happenings.