Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

for a person who has never played

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

For someone who has never even step foot in this game, and someone who is looking at getting the station access pass (I play EQ2 and EQ1) would this game be worth my time, if i want to take a break from the other 2 games for a while? I keep reading how terrible the game is, but honestly.. would someone who has never played even notice?

www.facebook.com/themarksmovierules

Currently playing:

FFXIV on Behemoth, FFXI on Eden, and Gloria Victis on NA. 

Comments

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by raystantz

For someone who has never even step foot in this game, and someone who is looking at getting the station access pass (I play EQ2 and EQ1) would this game be worth my time, if i want to take a break from the other 2 games for a while? I keep reading how terrible the game is, but honestly.. would someone who has never played even notice?

Truthfully, you may have a chance to enjoy it.

However the other thing to consider is do you want to support a game that would knowingly (and without remorse) throw away one customer base to try to grab a larger one?

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I think you will have fun. A quest based science-fiction MMO. The world is really big and you have the whole space feature to explore (realtime combat). You can build citys, and have pets and vehicles.

One of the best character creatuons ever made. Just try it.

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196

Yeah, you would love it just as long as you eBayed about 1,000,000,000 credits so you can keep up with the blown out economy. Good luck as a new player :( Moreover, enjoy looking at all the veteran/elder titles and Jedi rewards that you will never ever get to have as a new player no matter what you do. There is no way one can obtain then since you didn't play before the NGE. Other than that, it's great if you're a Star Wars fan.

Your best bet would be to wait for Age of Conan and/or Warhammer Online. I've played the AoC beta for a few days. While I cannot give details due to the NDA police, who seem to do nothing but brown-nose, all I can say is that it is awesome! I have not had a gaming thrill like that since the first year of Star Wars Galaxies and the first 6 months of EverQuest II's Nagafen server.

• raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,237

to be honest franchise games never have appeared to me.. (ones based on other forms of entertainment). With all the fans out there for star wars.. I'm still surprised it did as good as it has. I realize game companies make mistakes. I would imagine changing something in a game comprised of such rich history as star wars would cause an uproar. But for a casual gamer who never takes these franchise games very seriously, I don't think I will notice in the slightest. Games like this never do as well as games that are spin offs of other really successful games in the same general genre. I'm downloading the trial now. I think I will enjoy a change of pace from the norm of wizards and warriors.. thats standard mmo fare.

and at 29.99 a month, the choice to play any of the awesome games they offer.. is a dang good deal.

Currently playing:

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196

to be honest franchise games never have appeared to me.. (ones based on other forms of entertainment). With all the fans out there for star wars.. I'm still surprised it did as good as it has. I realize game companies make mistakes. I would imagine changing something in a game comprised of such rich history as star wars would cause an uproar. But for a casual gamer who never takes these franchise games very seriously, I don't think I will notice in the slightest. Games like this never do as well as games that are spin offs of other really successful games in the same general genre. I'm downloading the trial now. I think I will enjoy a change of pace from the norm of wizards and warriors.. thats standard mmo fare.

and at 29.99 a month, the choice to play any of the awesome games they offer.. is a dang good deal.

I agree. However, old Star Wars Galaxies did a GREAT job in capturing the essence of the movies. If you watch the old Lucas films, try looking at the background crap that just never gets noticed. I'm talking about the little things like the droid detector in the mos eisley bar and the clothing found on the man standing in the back in scene 34 blah blah. All of those little entities were included in the game. It was crazy. The freedom one had to mix and match professions was superb. It also had space combat! You could literally mod up some nasty spacecraft with a whole slew of different starship components. Such components would enhance the rolling speed, engine speed, shield and weapon capacity etc. Also, old SWG had random stats for each looted and crafted weapon. This made things so unpredictable and much more rewarding. It was like the item loot from Diablo II. The game had so much going for it until they dumbed it down to this blank and mindless void. The ability to be unique still greatly surpasses the EverQuest series. However, most of that was destroyed.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Personally I think something like the station pass is kind of a waste, at least for my playstyle.

I much prefer to be totally dedicated to one MMO, and not split my time between a few. Especially these days when real life things take up a good chunk of my play time. I honestly don't know how people can manage playing muliple MMO.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by fcwedd

I agree. However, old Star Wars Galaxies did a GREAT job in capturing the essence of the movies. If you watch the old Lucas films, try looking at the background crap that just never gets noticed. I'm talking about the little things like the droid detector in the mos eisley bar and the clothing found on the man standing in the back in scene 34 blah blah. All of those little entities were included in the game. It was crazy. The freedom one had to mix and match professions was superb. It also had space combat! You could literally mod up some nasty spacecraft with a whole slew of different starship components. Such components would enhance the rolling speed, engine speed, shield and weapon capacity etc. Also, old SWG had random stats for each looted and crafted weapon. This made things so unpredictable and much more rewarding. It was like the item loot from Diablo II. The game had so much going for it until they dumbed it down to this blank and mindless void. The ability to be unique still greatly surpasses the EverQuest series. However, most of that was destroyed.

The majority of what you posted is still true today.  The differences (from within your post) are the profession system and weapons (although crafted weapons back then didn't have random stats, they were crafted that way).

Originally posted by Suvroc

Personally I think something like the station pass is kind of a waste, at least for my playstyle.
    I much prefer to be totally dedicated to one MMO, and not split my time between a few. Especially these days when real life things take up a good chunk of my play time. I honestly don't know how people can manage playing muliple MMO.
    For the shock of the day, I will agree with you and QFE.

I can sorta understand why some would want to do it though, it's the same reason why we have pick & mix bins at supermarkets :P

people who play multiple mmo's...

well the point, is to NOT be buckled down to just one mmo.

Why did I get burned out on WoW so quickly? Because thats all I ever played. Its easy to get bored, when you overplay games. It makes more sense to me.. to switch to another game for a while if I get bored of my current one. There is a much higher chance I will still play the other game, if I do this. If it was the only game I was playing. I'd probably quit it cold turkey. MMO's are to me as tv is to others. If i get bored with one channel, I change to another.

can you imagine having to pay a fee for every single channel?

Currently playing:

people who play multiple mmo's...

well the point, is to NOT be buckled down to just one mmo.

Why did I get burned out on WoW so quickly? Because thats all I ever played. Its easy to get bored, when you overplay games. It makes more sense to me.. to switch to another game for a while if I get bored of my current one. There is a much higher chance I will still play the other game, if I do this. If it was the only game I was playing. I'd probably quit it cold turkey. MMO's are to me as tv is to others. If i get bored with one channel, I change to another.

can you imagine having to pay a fee for every single channel?

Then yes, the Station Access is likely going to be a good choice for you :)

I've actually been playing SWG for 4 and a half years now without breaking off for another game, but that's just me.

I just like to have the option :)

and I know I'm gonna be called a nub or whatever because I have already been told this is the most cliche class choice..

but I have been wanting to wield a light saber in an MMO forever..

do they have the mace windu purple lightsaber?

Currently playing:

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

I just like to have the option :)

and I know I'm gonna be called a nub or whatever because I have already been told this is the most cliche class choice..

but I have been wanting to wield a light saber in an MMO forever..

do they have the mace windu purple lightsaber?
    There is a special Mace Windu crystal for GCW generals, IIRC.

But there are also ordinary purple/light purple crystals out there for your ordinary Jedi.  Which are legion.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• MathosMathos Member Posts: 897

Im playing 2 free mmo's that are beter then swg but ones still in beta ROFL........................

try the free trial see what you think first beats spending 20$ then finding you dont like it.....

• FiredornFiredorn Member UncommonPosts: 93

Originally posted by Mathos

Im playing 2 free mmo's that are beter then swg but ones still in beta ROFL........................
    try the free trial see what you think first beats spending 20$ then finding you dont like it.....

Try the trial.  You got nothing to lose except $20 if you buy it and don't like it.  And BTW, Station Pass is awesome!  I pretty much have access to all SOE titles, except EQ1 for 1 low monthly price....now that's great.  But I don't play any SOE games right now, but when I did, it was great.  But I don't, so...but I used to....I'll just shut up now.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

To the OP:

Try it.  You might like it.  There's still much to be said for it, even with dated graphics and gameplay that is, to me at least, in comparision with what it was before, terrible.

But you don't have any preconceptions as the vets do.  You may enjoy it.   So give it a shot.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• blotzblotz Member UncommonPosts: 99

@ op

do you like to a to a achieve something ?

do you like to collect things ?

do like to make plans for future development of your character ?

do you like to build up something in a game ?

do you like to make friends in games ?

if you play  or even pay for swg be prepaired to get all of this get deleted , removed or made useless within 14 days . no matter how long you did anything of the above .

14 days was the timetimeframe from announceing the gamechanges known as NGE until it went on the life servers.

it was not the first time of drastic gameplay changes forced on the paying ( and not knowing ) customers and it wasnt the last time .

if that is what you like feel free to give them your money

• StuheroStuhero Member Posts: 143

Just make sure you pick a populated server or you wont have anyone to play with. 3/4 of the servers are ghost towns. Other than that if you dont know what you are missing from the old SWG it may appeal to you.

Oh and get some advice on the UI as it is possibly the single most messed up part of the game. 2 years after the NGE and I still couldnt feel comfortable with it.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Try it but don't forget to ask for the old times PRE-CU version  on their official lithium sucker boards, it was 90% more of an decent MMO.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86

I'd say at least try it out. The nice about Star Wars Galaxies is that it's a big game. There are about 6-7 different planets that you can run around on all day long, looking for things to do. If you get bored running quests on the ground, you can go to space and level up there.

The nice thing about galaxies is that getting xp isn't limited to just questing. You can take missions from terminals and make as much money and xp as you want. Or you can just run around trying to find high level monsters to kill. You also have the ability to change your profession in game.  So if you end up not liking Jedi, you can switch to a Bounty Hunter if you want. I wouldn't worry too much about the whole economy thing, because there are so many ways to make fast credits now, it almost doesn't even matter. Really, you have to play the game and find out for yourself.

And for anyone STILL complaining about the NGE and no Pre-CU anymore in this thread: Jesus man, just get over it. It's a fucking video game dude.