Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a laptop (not for gaming)... recommend a brand.

phluuxphluux Member Posts: 211

Hey folks, I need a laptop for work. I don't really need advice on hardware specs because I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff, but since I've never purchased my own laptop before, I'd like to know which brands you recommend. HP? Sony? Toshiba? Dell? etc.

No Alienwares... I am not looking to spend that much and I already have a beefy gaming rig. This is for work. :)

Comments

• xxthecorexxxxthecorexx Member Posts: 1,078

Originally posted by phluux

Hey folks, I need a laptop for work. I don't really need advice on hardware specs because I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to that stuff, but since I've never purchased my own laptop before, I'd like to know which brands you recommend. HP? Sony? Toshiba? Dell? etc.
    No Alienwares... I am not looking to spend that much and I already have a beefy gaming rig. This is for work. :)

i'd have to say the key points for laptop shopping would be functionality, reliability, warranty, service and ask your self what you need it for, where you're going to take it (ever lug a 15 pound laptop thru a crowded airport?)

i'm not a laptop fan at all, and in my experience they usually lead to nothing but headaches, but on the other hand.. my bosses daughter was in here the other day with some kind of sony, it was small, light , had a footprint of about 8"x10" and weighed 3 pounds maybe, it was literally beat to shit looking but was a sweet little computer and ran great. it wasn't blazingly fast and was about 2 years old, but it certainly worked for her as she stopped in to mooch our internet connection to check her mail and clean up her notes for that mornings class. she popped it in her purse on the way out the door and didn't have to use a bulky laptop case. now i think THAT is the right approach to building a laptop, carrying around something with a 17" screen is just absurd in my eyes (unless of course, it suits your function)

• CleffyIICleffyII Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,440

Tablet PC.  1000 times more useful then a laptop.

• Hades_WarpigHades_Warpig Member Posts: 265

http://m-techlaptops.com/

Thats my fav laptop seller... very good prices.. im not sure what to suggest though

• daelnordaelnor Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

I've never actually owned a laptop myself, but I've worked on a lot of them.

In my experience the Acer's, HP's and Sony ones are dependable. Toshiba's are really popular, but I usually had 2-3 of them on my workbench at a time. Dell ones are ok, but they charge too much.

I don't know anything about tablet PC's.

I don't know what you do for work, but I've seen the mid to high end sony's and Toshiba's run auto cad pretty easily, which was impressive.

D.

• sniper48101sniper48101 Member Posts: 93
    Since gaming is not important but getting work done is...I'd say a MacBook Pro. Forget the Mac bashers here, this site is about gaming and most people still think Macs can't game.

But we are talking production as in work here I believe. Mac has the best laptop made today. Rated the fastest Windows Vista laptop of the year by PC Mag.
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

Dell sells some pretty decent laptops.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by sniper48101

Since gaming is not important but getting work done is...I'd say a MacBook Pro. Forget the Mac bashers here, this site is about gaming and most people still think Macs can't game. But we are talking production as in work here I believe. Mac has the best laptop made today. Rated the fastest Windows Vista laptop of the year by PC Mag.
    What are you talking about?

A - If he is using it for work I doubt he will want to go through the compatibility issues that come with using a Mac. Macs are for more personal use rather than work.

B - Macs don't run windows vista. They run OS X. So I don't know what you were reading in PC Magazine.

To the OP - I'd look into acer, hp, sony, or maybe even dell (vostro).

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• sniper48101sniper48101 Member Posts: 93

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Varlok91</i>
    <br><b><p><blockquote><em>Originally posted by sniper48101</em> <br />
    <strong>Since gaming is not important but getting work done is...I'd say a MacBook Pro. Forget the Mac bashers here, this site is about gaming and most people still think Macs can't game. But we are talking production as in work here I believe. Mac has the best laptop made today. Rated the fastest Windows Vista laptop of the year by PC Mag.</strong></blockquote> What are you talking about?</p>
    <p>A - If he is using it for work I doubt he will want to go through the compatibility issues that come with using a Mac. Macs are for more personal use rather than work.</p>
    <p>B - Macs don't run windows vista. They run OS X. So I don't know what you were reading in PC Magazine.</p>
    <p>To the OP - I'd look into acer, hp, sony, or maybe even dell (vostro).</p></b></blockquote>
    <br>

Wow....misinformed I see.

Mac's run any OS you put on it. I can boot into OSX, Linus, Win XP, or Vista on mine (and do often). Here is the link for you;

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136649-page,3-c,notebooks/article.html

Quote "The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. "

For stability, reliability, performance, versitility, and user experience... NOTHING comes close to a Mac.

• Varlok91Varlok91 Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by sniper48101

<blockquote><i>Originally posted by Varlok91</i>

<strong>Since gaming is not important but getting work done is...I'd say a MacBook Pro. Forget the Mac bashers here, this site is about gaming and most people still think Macs can't game. But we are talking production as in work here I believe. Mac has the best laptop made today. Rated the fastest Windows Vista laptop of the year by PC Mag.</strong></blockquote> What are you talking about?</p>

<p>A - If he is using it for work I doubt he will want to go through the compatibility issues that come with using a Mac. Macs are for more personal use rather than work.</p>

<p>B - Macs don't run windows vista. They run OS X. So I don't know what you were reading in PC Magazine.</p>

<p>To the OP - I'd look into acer, hp, sony, or maybe even dell (vostro).</p></b></blockquote>

<br>

Wow....misinformed I see.
    Mac's run any OS you put on it. I can boot into OSX, Linus, Win XP, or Vista on mine (and do often). Here is the link for you;
    Quote "The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year (through 10/25/07) is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year--or for that matter, ever--is a Mac. Not a Dell, not a Toshiba, not even an Alienware. "
    For stability, reliability, performance, versitility, and user experience... NOTHING comes close to a Mac.
    My bad then, it seems you are right.

I was under the impression you couldn't run windows on a mac unless you had emulation software.

A friend of mine was just telling me the other day how the emulation software was not working well for him either.

Good find though, I stand corrected. Not sure what his budget is though $2500 seems a bit much for just work purposes. I use a ~$700 compaq and I don't think I would need anything more powerful than that for just basic office tasks.

--------------------------------
    Desktop - AMD 8450 Tri Core, 3 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, ATI HD 3200 Graphics, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
    Laptop (Dell Latitude E6400) - Intel P8400, 2 GIGs of RAM, Intel X4500, Windows XP Professional

• OrcaOrca Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by Varlok91
    Originally posted by sniper48101 <blockquote><i>Originally posted by Varlok91</i>
    <br>Wow....misinformed I see.
    My bad then, it seems you are right.
    I was under the impression you couldn't run windows on a mac unless you had emulation software.
    A friend of mine was just telling me the other day how the emulation software was not working well for him either.
    Good find though, I stand corrected. Not sure what his budget is though $2500 seems a bit much for just work purposes. I use a ~$700 compaq and I don't think I would need anything more powerful than that for just basic office tasks.

Mac's recently got intel CPU's, so they can run x86 programs :)

But still, I wouldn't want a mac anyway. I like my Dell, and all the warranties you can get with Dell, you will be sure you will have a new laptop in your lap within 48hours, if your own gets trashed. I've heard other companies offers the same service, but I have no experience with those.

Futilez - Mature MMORPG Community

Correcting people since birth.