Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Housing Availability

ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I played UO when it first came out for about a year and a half.One of the problems the game had AT THAT TIME...was land for house placement was not available on some shards.I am thinking about returning to ATLANTIC. Is there a way to know that there is decent land for houses available before  actually going there and making a character etc etc ?

Comments

• FockerFocker Member Posts: 344

I for one loved the fact that there wasn't enough land for everyone to have a house.  It made  something to look forward to having one day.  But!!!  Of course just like UO's History.  It always ruins a good thing.  Soooo To  answer you question,  Yes, they have tons of land for houses everywhere!!!!!!

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

Back when...I found a very neat spot..in the jungle.....uneven land by entrance...made it difficult for the pk to even get to the door.

Thanks for the info,

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Yeah its not like back in the day, where you prayed for a vacant spot. Nowadays, because of previous expansions, there is plenty of landmass to build on.

• JackieECMJackieECM Member Posts: 6

It's not really that hard these days to find housing.  On some such as GL and Atl it may be a bit more of a challenge but it is out there.  You may not find an empty plot to place a house yourself, but there are always ones for sale.  Good luck!

• StellosStellos Member UncommonPosts: 1,491

If you are from the old days then trust me, housing has changed to the point you wouldn't even recognize what's going on lol.  Housing use to be pretty cool because it was something taken very seriously.  Remember having to be careful with your keys lol.  Now houses are designed by players to look like spaceships and wierd stuff like that.  It really hurt the authenticity of the game.

Originally posted by Stellos

It really hurt the authenticity of the game.

You hit it on the head. 

• JackieECMJackieECM Member Posts: 6

I'll second that.  The challenge of hanging onto your keys was always fun.  There are some crazy house designs these days, you are right some are so crazy they don't even look like houses.  But there are some people that take house design to a higher level; there are some truly beautiful customized houses as well.

• Originally posted by Arawon

I played UO when it first came out for about a year and a half.One of the problems the game had AT THAT TIME...was land for house placement was not available on some shards.I am thinking about returning to ATLANTIC. Is there a way to know that there is decent land for houses available before  actually going there and making a character etc etc ?

I played when UO first came out and I don't remember a land shortage at all. The real land shortage hit when 9/11/01 happened and they stopped houses from rotting for like 2 years straight. Last time I logged on about a year ago during a free play I put a house right outside of moonglow on pacific. I figure land has to be as common as it was then if not even more common now as people move to the new expansion lands.

Originally posted by namelessbob

Originally posted by Arawon

I played when UO first came out and I don't remember a land shortage at all. The real land shortage hit when 9/11/01 happened and they stopped houses from rotting for like 2 years straight. Last time I logged on about a year ago during a free play I put a house right outside of moonglow on pacific. I figure land has to be as common as it was then if not even more common now as people move to the new expansion lands.

Are you sure you played UO when it first came out?  Because they didn't have houses when it first started.  Housing wasn't availiable until after Ren.  If you dont remember a house shortage then you must not be playing the same game because even with housing decaying, there were still land shortages.

Also, the reason why there is so much land to place houses is 1) they expanded the land and 2) a lot of people have been cancling accounts.

• The_Boo_CatThe_Boo_Cat Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 157

The problem I had recently when I resubscribed to Europa was that when wandering around I would keep coming upon emply plots that someone had built the foundations upon and nothing else in the hope of selling at some point.

It ruined the immersion almost as much as the aforementioned wacky house designs.

Notice: The views expressed in this post are solely those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the reviews of MMORPG.com or its management.

Neil Thompson
    Staff Writer
    MMORPG.com

• DaBadGuyDaBadGuy Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Focker

Are you sure you played UO when it first came out?  Because they didn't have houses when it first started.  Housing wasn't availiable until after Ren.

Wrong.  I played from day one for many, many years.  I remember seeing my first player build house a couple of weeks after day 1.  It was one of those small square stone houses and it was placed just outside of the wall of Cove.  I remember seeing about 6 or 7 players mining and going in and out of the house.  I could not wait to get mine.  Back then you could place houses within guard zones also.

Remember the tents?  You could also place a tent that was the same size as the small house.  It had nothing in it but one chest to store items.  Anybody could enter but the owner had a key for the chest.  I remember those tents popping up everywhere even on roads.  Once the road from Britain through the mountain pass was blocked off by 3 tents covering the entrance.  Shortly after that they stopped placement on roads.  Not long after that they removed the tent option.

I remember the land shortage well.  When the first expansion came out (t2a) people really wanted to place houses there.  Luckily they kept it non-housing so you could adventure without having to navigate one large city.

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I will admit that Housing used to be so fun.  It was almost a game in it's own. . .UO reality.  Now, you can place in trammel no problems.  I thought having rare land plots was awesome.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

Originally posted by DaBadGuy

Originally posted by Focker

Are you sure you played UO when it first came out?  Because they didn't have houses when it first started.  Housing wasn't availiable until after Ren.

Wrong.  I played from day one for many, many years.  I remember seeing my first player build house a couple of weeks after day 1.  It was one of those small square stone houses and it was placed just outside of the wall of Cove.  I remember seeing about 6 or 7 players mining and going in and out of the house.  I could not wait to get mine.  Back then you could place houses within guard zones also.

Remember the tents?  You could also place a tent that was the same size as the small house.  It had nothing in it but one chest to store items.  Anybody could enter but the owner had a key for the chest.  I remember those tents popping up everywhere even on roads.  Once the road from Britain through the mountain pass was blocked off by 3 tents covering the entrance.  Shortly after that they stopped placement on roads.  Not long after that they removed the tent option.

I remember the land shortage well.  When the first expansion came out (t2a) people really wanted to place houses there.  Luckily they kept it non-housing so you could adventure without having to navigate one large city.

You got me there.  I forgote about those tents.  Its been to long. You are correct.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

I sold a house outside Vesper on ebay back in the day for 200 bucks. Right across the north bridge straight back to the water. That thing took me about 2 hours to get it to place on the ground.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

•  

Edit: Shrug. Already posted in this thread awhile ago heh.

• ShadowhearthShadowhearth Member Posts: 174

so housing is not that fun anymore? :( sad, how such good game so wrong :( . So is there still fun to have a house? or it lost its charm?