Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IS UO dominated by uber loot and character builds?

TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

I was wondering how lopsided UO was when it comes to gear and builds. I like a game where what you wear is not as important as how you choose to up your skills. On the flipside I also like an MMO that allows you to customize your characters skills the way you like it instead of forcing you to take a particular build like 2000 other people in order to survive PVP and PVE. Most, if not all, new MMOs force you to pretty much craft your character one of half a dozen ways and grind for the widget of doom so you can pwn every other noob with your mad skillz only to have the devs nerf your widget, change your skill structure or come out with a new more powerful do hicky that you then have to grind for.  To my mind this is not fun it is just a steady "keeping up with the Korgoths" or cruising at $15 a month for 6 month until you discover that the game is just not that exciting now that you can kill anything. Of course, god help us, you can raid every day for what ever you get out of that. Is UO like this. I know their is grinding, gear and builds, but how important is this? Does UO have that one magic chucker build that can't be touched in PVP? Do you reach a point where the only thing left is raiding or hanging at the bank like an out of work actor at StarBucks?

Comments

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

hrrmm I suspect from your post your coming from WoW. UO is totally differnt. Goto UO stratics to read up on it. But as for "gear" and "builds" ...leave that in WoW. UO is based on skill percent ..not lvl or raiding

• elvenangelelvenangel Member Posts: 2,205

1.  There are no raids, infact with the right build you can probably kill just about anything in the game by yourself once you max out.   I know there's some creatures you need atleast 2 or three people with but you better really really trust them otherwise they may snag the loot off the corpse and teleport away.

2.   There are 3 builds considered the best ones as far as people who want to go out adventuring & pvp.  Are they the only builds people look for?  No because there's not a group system and you'll find very few people who will be like you should do this or you have to do this.   Don't mix your crafting skills with your adventuring skills, make a seperate toon for that trust me you want all 200 points in useable skills for either crafting or fighting.

3.  Gear's cool but its not that important unless your trapped on the Felucca shard (if you get flagged for pvping by killing someone who not 'evil' or already flagged you have to wait x amount of time to get back to trammel) so your gear is actually important because they'll kill you take it and sell it to the few NPC's that will even talk to them on Felucca (pretty much once you get a murderer or above title you are fubar'd when it comes to towns.  People will kill you for your gear, money, and tradeskill items.   But gear is not like most newer games so don't expect 'epics' or 'uber' items.

4.  UO has never been known for quests, though I hear they added a few in some of the subsequent expansions they're mostly for the noobs.

5.  PVP is more run for your life from Murders than anything else, you get nothing for it other than personal satisfaction you just be up Jo blow and took all his stuff.  There's no honor in it unless of course you have killed a dreadlord.  

6.  UO is not like any other game you've probably played.  All your conceptions of what MMO's are and what they play like go out the window.   If you've ever played the web game Runescape expect it to be alot like that except its got better graphics now.

7.  Until you get to know the game, the worlds, the shards, & some people never travel anywhere alone and train up to atleast use teleporting spells or buy items people make that do teleporting because you'll need it if you decide to commit suicide and go to a Feluccia shard before your char is ready or if you go to a pvp server.

Oh yea and wait until your skills are really really highly built up .... before you attack anything bigger than a deer (that especially counts cows n bulls!).   Otherwise you'll be smashed to bits.

Please Refer to Doom Cat with all conspiracies & evil corporation complaints. He'll give you the simple explination of..WE"RE ALL DOOMED!

• SouvecSouvec Member UncommonPosts: 698

Well since my last visit alot had changed in terms of gear.  Back in the day, UO was less about gear stats and builds but more so focused on building you the character and not really worrying as much on those aspects.  When I returned I was disappointed.

UO has turned the table giving players stat padded armor and weaponry.  Now from what I saw, most of its random so its kinda hard to get the same drop of a specific statted armor.  So while its not as easy to get a specific gear setup, you can get specific character builds based off what skills your focus on.  All in all though, I don't think the community is as hung up on min/maxing their stuff.  Long ago not many if at all anyone really cared about gear states, just pure skill.

Hope this helps.

• TwohededboyTwohededboy Member Posts: 200

Thanks for the information. You all are right, I have been disappointed in the way other MMOs, in particular WoW, make it all about the loot and having specific abilities just like everyone else. Does UO have a war system were guilds fight guilds or factions fight factions? I can remember reading something about this.

• uoplayer123uoplayer123 Member Posts: 225

Guild vs Guild is big , factions is all but dead on most shards ,its one one the most broken systems..

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by uoplayer123

Guild vs Guild is big , factions is all but dead on most shards ,its one one the most broken systems..

I am in a guild called Moonglow Town Council (MTC), on the Atlantic shard, and we are currently at war with 8 different guilds, so we are constantly having GvG "wars", and coming up with rp material is part of the fun.