Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open beta tis week?

Or tis month?

Comments

• centrik91centrik91 Member Posts: 175

The next phase of closed beta is supposed to open back up sometime in December.  There is no word on open beta yet.

• bridgeportbridgeport Member Posts: 3

open beta is a ways off, i'm guessing march 08. closed beta reopens soon though

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by bridgeport

Have they even committed to having one at all yet?

• ImpyrielImpyriel Member UncommonPosts: 711

Originally posted by Pheace

Originally posted by bridgeport

Like these guys are saying.. If they do have open beta, those are usually towards the end of the beta phases right before release.

• EraserheadEraserhead Member UncommonPosts: 343

Originally posted by Pheace
    Originally posted by bridgeport open beta is a ways off, i'm guessing march 08. closed beta reopens soon though

Not that I know of.
  • DrunkenPreyDrunkenPrey Member Posts: 122

What everyone else said. Open betas usually take place shortly before the game goes live and don't last for ages, the only real reason to do them is so people can report on the game without breaking the NDA because I'd wager 80-90% of the people that take part don't bother even reporting bugs which is the point of it.

It's really just free advertising.

WAR is coming. Look busy.

• IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

Not much point in reporting bugs at that point. 99% of the bugs you'll find in open beta have already been reported. Only the beta vets will recognize the 1% that needs to be submitted.

Open beta is a stress test. All they need are mucho people on at that the same time, just doing their thing, wandering around killing stuff, looting, and selling. You might get a brief glimpse of what the economy will do with major numbers, what beginner areas look like when overcrowded, etc.

• spikeynormanspikeynorman Member UncommonPosts: 150

i heard somewhere that they weren't even going to have an open beta. I heard its all gonna be one HUGE closed beta

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion,I gain strength, through strength,I gain power,through power,I gain victory,through victory,my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Hm, maybe it's me, but everytime I read about WAR I get the feeling its pushed back more. :/

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

They said in a video.. in one of the IGN interview viedeos I believe something along the lines of "We will be fleshing this out in the closed betas, and the open beta."  It is the only thing i've heard.

Originally posted by Elikal

Hm, maybe it's me, but everytime I read about WAR I get the feeling its pushed back more. :/

Would you prefer they released an unfinished game?  That worked out real well for Hellgate: London, Tabula Rasa, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Ryzom, Vanguard, Dark and Light, and um almost every MMO that has been released...

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by ProfRed

They said in a video.. in one of the IGN interview viedeos I believe something along the lines of "We will be fleshing this out in the closed betas, and the open beta."  It is the only thing i've heard.

Originally posted by Elikal

Would you prefer they released an unfinished game?  That worked out real well for Hellgate: London, Tabula Rasa, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Ryzom, Vanguard, Dark and Light, and um almost every MMO that has been released...

While true nearly all those games also got pushed back at one time or another. Pushing a game back is in no way a guarantee that they somehow will end up with a polished game.

Not to mention the more we get to hear lately the more it seems they are overhauling the game rather than polishing it which instills even less faith in the fact that it'll come out polished in my opinion.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

True.  At least with new systems like Keeps they are putting in temporary models and areas to test it before polishing it up.  I think from what i've read that they are going about everything the right way.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Yea, as mentioned above the open beta is likely a LONG way off.  The next phase of closed beta is due to begin soon, and they antioicipate adding a LOT of new people into this beta. Also a closed guild beta will start in January.

Torrential

• AlienovrlordAlienovrlord Member Posts: 1,525

While all this conjecture is entertaining, how about we inject some facts with a link.  Mythic's former CM Sanya had this to say regarding the "open" beta.

http://www.warhammerherald.com/news/archives.php

Final Beta: No NDA. Because there is no NDA, people often refer to this as "open beta." But I wanted to be really clear with you guys - we are not planning the kind of open beta where everyone with internet access can download the game and hop in. That's nutty. Right now, we are tentatively considering having everyone who pre-orders the game invited to this phase of beta. This phase will also invite winners from our big media promotions.

Now this is an old post, before the two push-backs for the release date but we haven't heard anything about Mythic changing their plans for the stages of the beta.