Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You know us MMORPGs had a crappy year when SpikeTV...

Video Game Awards shut out the MMORPG field from nominations for awards.  This is their first year where no MMORPGs are even nomininated.   Yep, you heard me right, not one single MMORPG was even on this year's list of nominees.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=16208

Just goes to show you, even the experts that evaluate games know we got the shaft the past year.

Fear not fanbois, we are not trolls, let's take off your tin foil hat and learn what VAPORWARE is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaporware

"Vaporware is a term used to describe a software or hardware product that is announced by a developer well in advance of release, but which then fails to emerge after having well exceeded the period of development time that was initially claimed or would normally be expected for the development cycle of a similar product."

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    And Lord of The Rings: Shadows of Angmar is on their list of nominees to "Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show"

I don't know wether to laught or to cry.

• outlaw101outlaw101 Member Posts: 351

Mass Effect will win, Bioshock and Halo 3 was all hype and no content, assasins creed is good but short, Mass effect will win.

"Don't hold breath about another KOTOR game coming from Bioware" - Chris Preistly

"Bioware is more intrested in pursueing development of it's own Intellectual properties"

- James Henly

• gillvane1gillvane1 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,503

I don't think anyone is going to argue with the OP, or the Video Game Awards. It's been a dismal year for MMORPG releases, especially since there were high hopes for many of the titles that released.

There's always next year.

MMORPG Maker

• ThalosVipavThalosVipav Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by gillvane1

I don't think anyone is going to argue with the OP, or the Video Game Awards. It's been a dismal year for MMORPG releases, especially since there were high hopes for many of the titles that released.

There's always next year.

MMORPG Maker

well it cant get much worse....

Thalos Vipav
    Star Wars Galaxies: R.I.P.

• TrollstarTrollstar Member Posts: 332

er....when was the last good year for MMORPG releases?  2004?

Who the hell are you, and why should I care?
    Congrats! You are a victim of Trollstar!

• MunkiMunki Member CommonPosts: 2,128

Originally posted by outlaw101

Mass Effect will win, Bioshock and Halo 3 was all hype and no content, assasins creed is good but short, Mass effect will win.
    Except its Spike TV...

Halo 3 will win.

ZeroPunctuation said it best when he said Halo is already bigger than god.

after 6 or so years, I had to change it a little...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show:

The Lord of the Rings: Shadows of Angmar

Anyway the list is trash if you ask me. Super Mario Galaxy has received some of the highest scores in gaming history. It's currently the 2nd highest ranked game of all time according to gamerankings, and it's not even nominated for best game of 2007? That's rediculous.

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

LOL @ "based on a movie or TV show"

for the love of pete...

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."
  • ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912

Originally posted by Rayx0r

for the love of pete...
    I have high doubts the people who made that list have ever cracked a book after high school ( and probably rarely before then). On the bright side, that does mean at least one mmorpg was nominated ( just in the wrong category).

Gameloading: the grammar nazi in me must correct you. It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

for the love of pete...
    What about Fred... or Steve?  and we can't forget Ralph!

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• ZorvanZorvan Member CommonPosts: 8,912
    Originally posted by Illius

for the love of pete...
    What about Fred... or Steve?  and we can't forget Ralph!

I thank Ralph after every drunken week-end. The Tidybowl guy is a great listener, also.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its a cycle,

understand MMORPGs cannot be listed in the same catagory as Xbox, PS3 etc. Those games are fly by night. ONe month they are the top of the world, the next they are gathering dust or trying to be sold on ebay for $4.65

MMORPGs are in it for the long haul. As such, you just cant keep popping them out month after month, year after year. We can now easily see what happens when MMORPgs are released too soon ...its bad for everyone.

Yea, 2007, not much of anything going on. But I truely believe 2008 will make up for it.

Torrential

Originally posted by Zorvan

Gameloading: the grammar nazi in me must correct you. It's ridiculous, not rediculous.

Thanks, It's noted :)

• DulainDulain Member UncommonPosts: 616

Looks like they took LOTRO off the list now. It's the only field with only 3 games instead of 4 now.

• DrachonisDrachonis Member Posts: 183

As some ppl have eluded to, its not only this year that has sucked for mmos... its sucked for a while now.  I might even go so far as to say that the last good mmos that were released were either wow or FF XI, but thats just my personal opinion since both those games have a special place in my heart.  I don't play any mmos atm for obvious reasons that I think a lot of old timers feel, and this year was just the icing on the cake of this dead genera of games.  We really need some new blood and inovation into the genera or its going to crash and burn for us... or perhaps it already has.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by Shannia

Just goes to show you, even the experts that evaluate games know we got the shaft the past year.

I fully object to calling anyone associated with that channel and its god-forsaken video game awards show an "expert".

Even though they're using better sources for picking the nominees (hey look, there's Jeff Gerstmann) it still won't lend any credibility to them.

If Mass Effect loses to three Japanese RPGs I've never even heard of I'm going to be agitated. 

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• Timberwolf0Timberwolf0 Member Posts: 424

I wouldn't count the orange box out. TF2 is fast paced and fun, and portal was a surprise hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get best PC game.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

Oh for the love of pete.... please tell me you guys realize that a lot of reviews are paid for and are not always the true views of the majority of gamers...

Same goes for some rewards shows...

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Originally posted by Korusus

I fully object to calling anyone associated with that channel and its god-forsaken video game awards show an "expert".

Even though they're using better sources for picking the nominees (hey look, there's Jeff Gerstmann) it still won't lend any credibility to them.

If Mass Effect loses to three Japanese RPGs I've never even heard of I'm going to be agitated. 

If you have never heard of Final Fantasy Tactics then you're seriously doing something wrong.

• kel11kel11 Member Posts: 1,089

Who cares about Spike TV and their console and hype game biasing.

Change my mind so much I can't even trust it
    My mind change me so much I can't even trust myself

• KryogenicKryogenic Member Posts: 663

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by Korusus

If you have never heard of Final Fantasy Tactics then you're seriously doing something wrong.

FF Tactics is a great game and all, but it doesn't hold a flame to Mass Effect. Mass Effect is hands down, GotY... or it should be. The Orange Box rocked on PC, but took a hard hit on the Xbox because of the horrible stability and lack of support for TF2.

Halo 3 is over-hyped trash. For all intents and purposes it's Halo 2 with different weapons, crappy equipment module gimmics, and Forge. There are so many FPS that are light years ahead of Halo. I'll take a tactical shooter like Gears of War or Vegas over any Halo game any day. Some moron tried to say that the Halo 3 story was better than Mass Effect... these Halo zealots have gotten worse than the EVE zealots... ZING!!

To the guy that thinks that MMORPGs are in a class above and beyond meer console games that have, "short shelf lives" you can't possibly be an avid gamer. You may be a hardcore MMORPG junky, but I know you can't be active in any console gaming communities. There are tons of games that are years older than any MMORPG that still sell units. There are a few old classics that still sell well at 19.99 and 29.99.

Now look at the MMORPGs that go bust after a few months or a year and you can hardly give those boxes away free to people. You can't even trade them in at a game store to get store credit.

I love a good game just as much as the next guy, and sometimes a little more, but for cryin' out loud, MMORPGs are not the creme de la creme of  video games.

• SuvrocSuvroc Member Posts: 2,383

Originally posted by Timberwolf0

I wouldn't count the orange box out. TF2 is fast paced and fun, and portal was a surprise hit. I wouldn't be surprised to see it get best PC game.

I haven't tried Portal yet. It's pretty good I take it?

TF2, although excellent, doens't beat TFC IMO. But I can't take away from the fact that the Orange Box was a spectacular value.

• LionexxLionexx Member UncommonPosts: 680

haha?That is kinda funny.

Playing: Everthing
    Played: DAoC,AC2,EvE,SWG,WAR,MXO,CoX,EQ2,L2,LOTRO,SB,UO,WoW.
    I have played every MMO that has ever come out.

• Runefan101Runefan101 Member Posts: 48

Why do you have to judge MMO releases in terms of years? When a good MMO comes along it comes along who cares what year it falls in? Pidgeonholing releases in terms of years will only cause more rushed MMO releases...

===

It takes a real man to learn the truth... it takes the truth to learn a real man.