Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greedy Gamespot fire "The Gerstmann" over Kane and Lynch review!

2»

Comments

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Originally posted by jdun1

Originally posted by Sawtooth

Are you a professional? Do you know what professional means? Being a professional means acting like a responsible adult. I am a professional. When a customer chew me out. I take it. I act responsibility and don't get mad about it. I don't curse at my client, I dress well and act well. You look at that video that Gerstmann's made. I fire him in a second if I were his boss. It was unprofessional. Anyone that pride himself of his work will know he acted unprofessionally. He acted like a 14 years old cry baby on that video.

Eidos have nothing to do with it. Some moron told you that Eidos have something to with his firing and you believe that person? That's not how things work. This is how things with in the ad businesses, in the real world. The client will log a complaint and the reason why they are pulling their ads out. Even after the client left they (Gamespot) still have some limited responsible to their ex-client. Like not destroying their client name and resolving any complaints that the ex-client made. When Gamespot  fire Gerstmann it had an unintended side effect of destroying their ex-client name (Eidos). The victim is Eidos not Gerstmann. Gamespot could have handle this better but what can you expect when you got a bunch of 14 years old kids running it.

But the point here is that this particular reviewer has always had reviews like this. They've always had that tone, that twinge of nastiness in them. If they deemed him worthy of being fired, it should have been years ago, at the very least two years ago when the new management took over.

And that is the reason why most if not all of them are unprofessional. You do not call yourself a professional if you act like they acted. The reviewers at Gamestop back stabbed their ex-client by putting something that was an internal conflict into the public view and hurting Eidos in the process. A professional doesn't do that. They keep it indoor so their clients and ex-clients are protected. As a professional you cannot hurt your clients.

When an associate called me about an ex-client of my that was hard to deal with. I don't tell him that my ex-client was an A-hole. I will tell him that he was at time hard to work with but was on time with his responsibility to me (payments, materials, etc). You do not said bad things about your clients even if you don't like them. That is the difference between a professional and a normal worker.

Firing him two years ago or today have no bearing on the mess they created. If I were the boss of Gamespot I would fire them all. What they did in this matter was unacceptable.

First of all...in what way is Eidos the client of the reviewers at Gamespot?  Eidos was a client of CNET's marketing department.  The writers at Gamespot are in no way beholden to Eidos as a publisher.  If they were that would create an instant conflict of interests that would completely undermine the purpose of reviewing games.  Now I'm not naive, I know this kind of thing happens all the time.

Eidos did nothing unethical here, but that doesn't automatically make them the victim.  The people in the wrong are the suits at CNET that crossed the boundaries and allowed a publisher to dictate the review given to its game.  A reviewer has to have autonomy in order for his words to mean anything.

Now I'm not 100% convinced that this one incident is what led to the guy being fired.  It was likely a culmination of things.  But if Eidos pulling advertising had ANYTHING at all to do with the firing then Gamespot rightly deserves to crash and burn.  And Eidos is in no way a victim, they just had a little temper tantrum and it blew up in their face.

Like others have said, its Gamespot that will reap the consequences of this.  They officially have NO credibility.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

Are you a professional? Do you know what professional means? Being a professional means acting like a responsible adult. I am a professional. When a customer chew me out. I take it. I act responsibility and don't get mad about it. I don't curse at my client, I dress well and act well. You look at that video that Gerstmann's made. I fire him in a second if I were his boss. It was unprofessional. Anyone that pride himself of his work will know he acted unprofessionally. He acted like a 14 years old cry baby on that video.

Eidos have nothing to do with it. Some moron told you that Eidos have something to with his firing and you believe that person? That's not how things work. This is how things with in the ad businesses, in the real world. The client will log a complaint and the reason why they are pulling their ads out. Even after the client left they (Gamespot) still have some limited responsible to their ex-client. Like not destroying their client name and resolving any complaints that the ex-client made. When Gamespot  fire Gerstmann it had an unintended side effect of destroying their ex-client name (Eidos). The victim is Eidos not Gerstmann. Gamespot could have handle this better but what can you expect when you got a bunch of 14 years old kids running it.

bro, u gotta be kiddingh me with that untangible assinine fluff. regardless if he was "seemed" a bit perturbed at the quality is not the question its the fact that he got fired shortly after his "honest truthful" review. truthful in what way you ask? I believe its truthful cause i witnessed and experience nearly every aspect of his review covered. Gamespot is not a ad website it, its a game website with ads for financial support. They are required to have some form of loyalty and responsibility to the ad client yes this much is true, but when a review on a game that is total crap, and he gets canned for it, its unconciousable. maybe in  make believe worl you live in the client holds presedence but there is a limit to what the client can and can not influence in the real world. I work doing ads, and web work that requires banners, and other ad oriented art assets to "influence" a consumer without being overbearing or intrusive so I know the aspects of client relations. but in the past there have been a few clients I had that required me to put them in check cause they past the level of ethical comfort in which they felt they were god and everything revolved around them.

No one is knocking gerstmann is a passionate person, he is a unique reviewer he has his own style. but the thing everyone is knocking and getting into a tissy fit over is that EIDOS did in fact have control over his firing by throwing a bitch fit and withdrawing support cause they recieved a bad review? who is the 14 yr old in this situation? I would tend to lean toward EIDOS being the bratty preteen throwing a tantrum cause they didnt get their way. HEY EIDOS GET OVER IT, but, hey here is an idea, ACTUALLY DEVELOP A GOOD GAME! now with gamespot's clucky mishap, they are suffering,a nd I  say good for them, serves them right, they put the ol' mighty dollar before those who mattered most and now they gonna suffer for it.

I say by all means let them suffer, let it be a lesson to all companies, websites, who put money before honesty and quality reviews for games. I'm by no means stupid I can look at a game and make my own assestment but I dont want to spend $50 to find out, I rely on people like Gerstmann to give me a heads up on whats up, giving me insight to the game so I can make my own conclusive decision to take his information and buy th game, or not buy the game. I played the game, i didnt buy it i rented it, and te game was total garbage, sorry to hurt your feelings, but reality is reality.

now,I understand they need to make money this much is true, but they also have more important loyalty to those who make them who they are, GS forgot that, now they realizing they burned their bridges. good let them burn, cause they lost me and many others due to this because they forgot who they are, and where their loyalities lie. BURN BABY BURN!

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• UmbroodUmbrood Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by KnivesOnly

Rofl all the reviews it's getting ont he site now cause of this...
    http://uk.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/kanelynchdeadmen/players.html?tag=hotslot;yousay

Even more awesome, I tried to rate it and.

Kane & Lynch User Reviews Are Currently Disabled

Thank you for your efforts to contribute to the gaming community.

Ratings for Kane & Lynch are currently not being accepted for display on GameSpot.com.

I watched the review and I could not see anything wrong with it as far as a review should be made.

It was on topic, he explained the flaws and why he did not like it and it was indeed professional.

This one is going to be fun to follow, I REALLY hope gamespot and eidos take some damage from this, I know I will try to do my part to make that happen. 

Nice to see gaming news that is actually news worthy for once.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Jerek_

I wonder if you honestly even believe what you type, or if you live in a made up world of facts.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• RittoRitto Member Posts: 191

Isnt he the guy that did the Zelda twilight princess review and gave it a really bad review, I remember a lot of Zelda fans went mad at this guy, but i also noticed after that twilight princess review he has never reviewed another Zelda game again (Phantom Hourglass review was done by some other guy)

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Originally posted by Ritto

Isnt he the guy that did the Zelda twilight princess review and gave it a really bad review, I remember a lot of Zelda fans went mad at this guy, but i also noticed after that twilight princess review he has never reviewed another Zelda game again (Phantom Hourglass review was done by some other guy)

He gave it an 8.8 and zelda fans went berzerk over it because they didn't like it the game did not receive a near perfect score.

• TyfreakyTyfreaky Member Posts: 239

Well just a side note:

I went to the gamespot boards where i was a member for a long time, several contridictory comments by the moderators upstet me and i spoke my mind (without cursing or actually insulting them) and stated that their behavior sickened me.

Insta ban, along with many others, anything said against Gamespot or its employee's no matter how innocious is now subject to an immediate ban. No warnings  It does not matter if you have never been moderated.

And as for Jeff, it seems pretty obvious now that how C/net went about the whole thing was unacceptable, and comprimised the integrity of Gamespot. I wont go into specific but it is a Fox owned company (C/net) so these tactics don't surprise me all that much.

I have one question: If you work for a company that does soemthing wrong and you find out about it and decide to stay, does that make you as culpable as they are?

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

Originally posted by Tyfreaky

I have one question: If you work for a company that does soemthing wrong and you find out about it and decide to stay, does that make you as culpable as they are?

I would say no.  Companies can't do something wrong...individuals in the upper management of a company can do something wrong, but that doesn't automatically trickle down to the employees. 

If there's widespread corruption in the ranks and you're aware of it then I would say you're culpable, but I certainly don't hold the Gamespot employees and reviewers accountable for one dumbass C/net executive.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• MR-BubblesMR-Bubbles Member Posts: 649

Honestly, I think most if not all game journalists are unprofessional. They act more like 14 years old kids then professional adults.

I do believe that Eidos has nothing to do with this. They knew all the reviews score on the game. What I think they had an issue was Gerstmann's video of the game. What probably happened was Eidos log a complaint about the video then pulled their ads out of Gamespot. Nothing wrong with that. Happens all the time and I would do the same thing.

Gamespot/CNet management then decided to fire Gerstmann for unprofessionalism. The Gamespot reviewers fought back with rumors. The victim in this matter is not Gerstmann, it is Eidos. Now you got a company that is destroy by unethical rumors by Gamespot staffs. If I am running Eidos I would sue Gamespot/Cnet and the person that started this rumor.

Let me guess...... you work for EIDOS?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Retired from: Neocron, Everquest, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, RF Online and Final Fantasy VII

Currently Playing : EvE Online.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455

I saw the video review he made and it looked no different than the dozens of other reviews I've seen at various sites for any number of games.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• KhuzarrzKhuzarrz Member Posts: 578

Honestly, I think most if not all game journalists are unprofessional. They act more like 14 years old kids then professional adults.

I do believe that Eidos has nothing to do with this. They knew all the reviews score on the game. What I think they had an issue was Gerstmann's video of the game. What probably happened was Eidos log a complaint about the video then pulled their ads out of Gamespot. Nothing wrong with that. Happens all the time and I would do the same thing.

Gamespot/CNet management then decided to fire Gerstmann for unprofessionalism. The Gamespot reviewers fought back with rumors. The victim in this matter is not Gerstmann, it is Eidos. Now you got a company that is destroy by unethical rumors by Gamespot staffs. If I am running Eidos I would sue Gamespot/Cnet and the person that started this rumor.

You either work for Eidos, have NO understanding of what's happened, or aren't the 'professional' you claim to be. If you were, you'd understand two things:

First is consumer identity. Ignoring the insulting part of the '14 year old' comment, most gamers have that mentality. We love things and we hate things, very little in our worlds is mediocre, and that causes that kind of impression. The kind of reviewers we want are NOT jobsworth 40 year olds who either A: have allegiance to game makers, or B: bore us with uninteresting 'mediocre' reviews. Gerstmann is a prime example of this. He is quite possibly the most well known games reviewer in the world, certainly he's the only one I knew by name before this episode. He acted that way and it made him a success, people the consumers IDENTIFIED with him and his ideas. You may work in advertising, but you certainly do not work in consumer relations. You seem to have no idea what people want from the media.

Second is the fundamental principle of business. In today's world, it's actually the fundamental principle of success. Your customer's like what you sell: they buy it. Your customers don't like what you're selling: they don't buy it. Very few things in the world are any different to this. Possibly petrol/diesel prices ;) If Gerstmann's reviews were unprofessional in any kind of negative way, he would not have been the success he is, and his firing would have been appreciated by the gaming community. The company, nor their advertising sponsors has NOTHING to do with whether the firing was the correct choice. Unprofessionalism, as you call it, in a lot of industries is a total blessing, and it can be appreciated in a HUGE way. Gamespot have made the wrong decision here: They're losing out more on having made this blunder of a PR episode, than they were by losing Eidos' funding.

And what rumour are you talking about?! The exact thing you described (though from a totally warped perspective) is the only thing that has been reported here, and by you describing it, you can't be suggesting that's a rumour.

In response to the OP and this whole issue, the conclusion is simple. The gaming industry is coming to a fork in the road now. Either the big companies are going to take hold and the only honest reviews etc. will be from totally independant sites that are not for profit, in which case, look out for more >9.0's, especially for big-hype-no-substance games. Or, the big companies will realise that they get shit reviews when they make shit games. They will be forced by us, the consumers, with the help of the other in-industry companies (not games developers; the reviewers, competition sponsors etc.) to keep the standard of games high, and keep development coming, as it should be. Here's hoping capitalism actually has a success story for a change...

Edit: Having reread your post, I think what you're infering is that Gerstmann was unprofessional in giving a bad review/bad review video to his client, Eidos. The fact is, EIDOS IS NOT HIS CLIENT. He is a reviewer. Unprofessionalism in this case would be him giving them a positive review in light of their ad sponsorship. You seem to have no sense of business ethics within the industry. Eidos is a client of CNET, NOT Gamespot, and DEFINATELY NOT Gerstmann. The new inference from reading your post actually disgusts me that people can view a situation like that...

• SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884
    Originally posted by Khuzarrz
    The new inference from reading your post actually disgusts me that people can view a situation like that...

So true!

• TyfreakyTyfreaky Member Posts: 239

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Originally posted by Khuzarrz
    The new inference from reading your post actually disgusts me that people can view a situation like that...

So true!

I would have to agree with that qoute.

The problem is now that several of the blogosphere are taking the companies side saying that Gertsmann was unprofessional because Eidos complained.

Which I find frighting... I don't believe in everthing the president says.. does that make me unpatriotic? Ohhh yeah it does.. go ask the Dixie Chicks..... 

What people seem to forget is that these companies are there to serve us, not the other way around.

And when you comprimise a unbiased review source, you comprimise us all.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117
    Originally posted by Ritto

He reviewed it, but he gave it an 8.8. Which I thought was actually pretty generous, but whatever.