Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So i went back...and here is what i saw:

My girlfriend and I returned to the game after a five year absence to see how well Camelot is really doing.  I no longer had my three accounts (sold them years ago), so i started a new one and hit the largest server (cluster) which was Garath.  I started up 2 characters and my girlfriend started 1 (she doens't play as much as i do).  Our toons were Johnnee (armsman), Kytiarra (friar) and Sivvers (wizard).  So, without further ado, my 2cp on the game:

Gameplay - Pretty much the same as 5 years ago.  I had forgotten about bind points and gravestones, but quickly remembered.  I stuck to the old world areas since i knew them best (left the game just after TOA release) and found it a lot of fun remembering exploits of old.  Once we hit level 8, we headed to our first dungeon:  The Tomb of Mitra

Like almost all dungeons in DAOC, the repop timer is incredibly fast.  It was almost impossible to move forward having to sit and regenerate endurance after 3 fights.  After a while, we met a cabalist who was able to help us add DPS and move faster.

Other than the cabalist and a few other players, grouping was minimal in PVE.  Most mobs are soloable as long as you stick to yellow and lower, so groups are only really helpful for dungeons an chatting.  The few groups that i did get into were well lead and resulted in good fun.

Playing solo as my wizard, it was easy to pick up root / nuking again and leveled very quickly.  Upon hitting 19, i headed to the BG's (you can go to BG's before 19, but not many people there and you get no Realm Points).  Upon my arrival, i found about a dozen hibs defending the Center Keep against about a dozen mids.  Oh, wow, thought I....this game is not dead !.  I quickly joined up with 7 other Albions and we rushed the mids from behind and disrupted thier siege (remember those underhanded tactics?).  Eventually, the mids beat us and the hibs back and took the keep, but it was at least 2 solid hours of exciting gameplay. 

The siege changes in the game are quite amazing.  Instead of only battering down the door, you have the option to use your catapults to bust holes into the rock wall (and the graphic effects are very sweet).  They have also reduced the size of the scorpion siege engine so that it is quite small.  Siege aiming and control are still a little cumbersome, but they should be...

Questing -  Quests are easy to start since the NPC's are now marked (they weren't 5 years ago).  Completing the quest, however, isn't always as easy.  The NPC that gives you the quest isn't marked for you to return to him and complete it.  This means a fair amount of quest window scrolling to find the NPC's name that you must return to.  Also, i could not find a way to get an "active quest" window to stay up in my main UI and everytime i reopened my journal, it woudl default to the first quest (resulting in a lot of scrolling and clicking).

Community - In true fasion, the Albion community was VERY helpful.  The advice channel was more or less for bragging spam, but the newbie guild that you are forced to join upon creating a charcter helped tremendously.  There were even epic level 50 toons in the newbie guild, which i thought was pretty cool.  In all there were a few people with the standard "go back to playing WOW" remarks (its funny how WOW is often used as an insult by the people that also play it), but it was close to bed time so the little fellers were probably getting grumpy...

Crafting - ugh...im not a fan of crafting, so i did not pick it up during my return.  I was also a bit confused by the necessities of getting good gear from a crafter (spell crafting and stuff), so i did not ask.  Instead, i quested armor peices that helped me upgrade, and since i was not playing on the Frontier, gear wasn't a big factor.

User Interface and Controls - I only used the default interface, i cannot comment on customization too much.  I will note that you are able to move and resize chat windows and move hot bars and information windows quite easily.  The controls are favorable to WASD, arrow players or mouselookers.  The only thing that the controls left to be desired was the fact that the "target nearest" buttons were a bit flakey and mouse clicking was usually the quickest option.

Overall - It is hard for me NOT to keep playing this game....but, there is a feeling in the air that the game may just stop one day...without notice.  Its almost like an impending doom that hangs over the city of Camelot that something bad will happen at any minute.  The population is certainly down (most i saw at one time on the servers was just over 1100), but there still a number of people playing.  There were no fewer than 10 frontier keep takes each day i was on, Darkness Falls flipped at least 4 times and albion lost its strength relic.  This is evidence that the game is still alive, but alas...it does have that 'one foot in the grave" smell about it...

Will i keep playing?  No...i will not.  The game is a GREAT concept, but playing it feels like i am just making the retarded kid next door happy.  You kinda feel sorry for it and wish that it could do better, but you know that it will die soon and there is nothing you can do about it.  The real question is:

Will any game live up to what this game used to be?...

probably not, but lets all keep hope alive...

Johnnee

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Very good read. When I went back to DAOC, it had changed so much  and I had forgotten so much that it was like an entirely new game. I had a great time. those 2 hours of pure RvR excitement that you have when you first enter into the battlegrounds is more excitement than I had in the last 10 months of WoW.

I agree, the future seems uncertain for DAOC, because people wonder how will Mythics investment in WAR affect DAOC. the lifespan of a MMORPG is still not known. Heck games that well preceeded DAOC are still up and making expansions : i.e EQ and UO (who plays these?)

If you dont want to play DAOC because you think there is no future..thats fine. But I play for the present ..for the now. And its a blast!

Torrential

• JK-KanosiJK-Kanosi Member Posts: 1,357

Originally posted by Czzarre

Very good read. When I went back to DAOC, it had changed so much  and I had forgotten so much that it was like an entirely new game. I had a great time. those 2 hours of pure RvR excitement that you have when you first enter into the battlegrounds is more excitement than I had in the last 10 months of WoW.
    I agree, the future seems uncertain for DAOC, because people wonder how will Mythics investment in WAR affect DAOC. the lifespan of a MMORPG is still not known. Heck games that well preceeded DAOC are still up and making expansions : i.e EQ and UO (who plays these?)
    If you dont want to play DAOC because you think there is no future..thats fine. But I play for the present ..for the now. And its a blast!
    Torrential

I kind of felt the same. I love the game to death and don't think there is a better game out there, but because of the low population, I feel that my work in-game is all for naught. I think of MMORPG's like investments. I try to play one that I know will be running well still in a few years, because it takes a lot of effort to level up a character, complete all of the more important content, get geared out, rank up in RvR and etc. Once I do all of this, I don't want the population to be hovering around the low side. The population is already low, so I imagine worse 3 years from now. That makes DAoC not worthy of a time investment.

I know you find RvR exciting and so do I, but only when the fights are good. A lot of times, it is just one side zerging the hell out of the other. I don't like 8man groups a whole lot either. I feel more at hope defending a keep or tower or sieging a keep or tower. Defending or assaulting a bridge isn't bad either. Those things don't happen all of the time though and when they do, it is not always your side with good numbers. When I resubbed to see how DAoC was doing this summer, I rolled Albion and felt that Albion's were very disorganized in the BG's and I felt like I was being farmed by the other sides. Hibs were as usual rolling with the numbers, and Mids were as usual ass raping us with their BD's, while Albs were running around with their heads cut off getting smacked around. Every once in a while, Albs would get a group of people that would agree to work together. Being that I've played DAoC for many years, I can lead a group/raid and take a keep/tower or just kick ass, but people don't like to work together or listen.

You see, in a low population game, people not working together is a really big deal. However, in a higher population game, it isn't as bad, because you can always find another group that will listen and work together. Now I have no idea how RvR is nowadays, since every time I resub I reroll a new character. But RvR doesn't matter to me until I get there. I play games for their journey, not their destination. If the journey isn't fun, then I quit. Being an older DAoC player, I tend to like grouping and doing exactly what the OP was talking about. When I was playing DAoC years ago, grouping was easy and readily available as soon as you logged on. I don't see that anymore in DAoC...in fact, I see a lot of soloing and powerleveling to lvl 50. Like I said, I play for the journey. The journey is no longer as fun as it used to be in DAoC. I'm not saying that I don't have fun sometimes while leveling and fighting in the BG's, just that the fun doesn't come around as often anymore. Now that was Albion Gareth. Last time I subbed before this time, I resubbed and played Hibernia/Gareth. Population was much better on that realm, grouping was easier to come by, and some BG's and RvR was fun. This is because Hibs are popular, since they have some pretty powerful classes. I think I stay subbed that time for 2 months until I couldn't take being a Hib anymore. I loved the community, but I didn't like the realm much. I much preferred the classes Albion has to offer and the setting. I know I am picky, but I must have both the community and the realm I like.

Anyhow, that's how I see things.

MMORPG's w/ Max level characters: DAoC, SWG, & WoW

Currently Playing: WAR
    Preferred Playstyle: Roleplay/adventurous, in a sandbox game.

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

There is one thing to keep in mind - all games will die.  Maybe there is a way to prevent it, but that seems unlikely.  So, if every game is going to stop eventually, then that cannot be a reason not to play.  Play whatever game you find as fun for as long as you find it to be fun.  I mean even UO is still around and EQ is putting out expansions (why I really have no idea).

If you want to play then play and do not worry about what will happen a year from now.  Given all of the changes done and their announced plans for the future, it seems unlikley DAOC will be closed without notice anytime soon. 

• RavanosRavanos Member Posts: 897

good read, I am thinking about going back to camelot after i hit level 80 in eq2 (at 78 now) just to see the population and get some RVR action under my belt. I like the OP left right after TOA but DAOC was always my favorite MMO so i have to give it another chance. Just worried about population and if i will actually be able to group up.

• NebecanezerNebecanezer Member Posts: 7
    kudos to you. i felt really similar. Very good read.

W.o.W-Happyhardcor (current)
    EvE- Razig (retired)

• ConskriptConskript Member Posts: 6
    I started playing DAoC in 2002 and have been off and on since then. I can't speak to the experience of being solo as I usually am with my g/f or brother if not both.

Having said that we had our own group for PvE content.

One thing that I always thought the game had overbearing was the
    movement system and movement speed. Move too fast and PVP sucks, move to
    slow and PvE becomes a real chore. The semi recent additions of player mounts and hasteners caters to that problem.

The next of perhaps a few of the more major issues in my opinion is gearing. Your trainers (in main cities) will now give you an MP weapon and chest piece starting at 10 (5 for some classes) up to level 25. Gear like in any mmo plays a cruicially important role in pvp and pve, I find that aurulite is too hard to maintain a even semi full suit of gear for your level if you aquire it yourself. Althought the aurulite dungeons do not reward as much experience and tend to be more difficult then overworld creatures I see this as even more a problem. (though it could be taken as a boon). Bottom line - Crafters and templates are well worth the time and gold invested when it comes to pvp and pve. It is, however very very boring. My g/f, brother and I both have multiple LGM's and self template everything. - This gives us a distinct advantage.

Classic/ToA - Love both playstyles, I think TOA is where it should have been at launch, though PvE fans would likely still go through ToA the original way for enjoyment.

(Classic: Quick summary - No buffbots (Buffs are ranged and buffer(S) are required to be in party and no ToA bonuses/artifacts)

Atrition rate - DAoC's attrition rate is very very high, learning to play the game (Gearing, working as a team) is required for almost all aspects of sucess in most levels. Solo play seems to be more forgiving in other MMO's. People resist change, so when a class gets buffed/nerfed many people feel like all the work they put into something is gone and leave. Players that take this exodus declare the game as "Dead" which puts many other Lemmi- err players into a grim vision of the game.

These maybe some of the negative sides to the game, but remember two things if anything: DAoC is not for the weak willed, and will remain one of the last "Core" or true MMO's where being smart (tatics, group makeup, templates etc..) brings you victory.

Always more to be said, but this is a brick of text and my 2c.

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

I get the same feeling that it is going to die when I go back and play.

Still one of the best games tho.

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• imaslacksterimaslackster Member Posts: 30

Very good read , yeah i went back a few weeks ago because I got sick of wow and wanted to remember how fun the DAoC days were. I had a blast. RvR is just as good or better then its always been imo. The only reason im not playing right now is my girlfriend won't play DAoC with me because she thinks it will be too hard lol. W.e looks like i gota wait for WAR to play with her again. but she can wait too cuz im not playing WoW

• ThelaniaThelania Member Posts: 26

Is this like a couples game?  It's too funny that my boyfriend and I also started playing again after taking a few years off also.

We maxed our main characters out and we also sold them a few years ago.  We went on to play  SWG, WOW, EQII, LOTRO...anything and everything that came out.

We''re  having a blast again and leveling up and yes, learning everything all over again.  The BG's are the BEST and lots of people running around in there especially in 15-20 BG.

Long Live DAOC...

• Wow4LiferWow4Lifer Member Posts: 255
    Originally posted by Thelania

Is this like a couples game?  It's too funny that my boyfriend and I also started playing again after taking a few years off also.
    We maxed our main characters out and we also sold them a few years ago.  We went on to play  SWG, WOW, EQII, LOTRO...anything and everything that came out.
    We''re  having a blast again and leveling up and yes, learning everything all over again.  The BG's are the BEST and lots of people running around in there especially in 15-20 BG.
    Long Live DAOC...

I quit DAOC and will not return until they get rid of artifacts and other such things that completely destroy the game and make it more of a grind than wow. Seriously, who ever heard of leveling weapons? Tha thas got to be the most bogus excuse for content in the history of mmorpgs. Just my opinion, daoc used to be a great game and I loved it but now its too much like lineage II in terms of grind.

Hey WoW4Lifer (interesting name choice :)

They actually did get rid of artifacts (on certain servers). They are called classic servers, and they have no trials of Atlantis expansion (thus no artifacts). you may want to take a look at it once more

DAOCForLifer perhaps?

Torrential

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Not to mention that on the servers that have ToA, everything can be done by 1FG or less.  You can purchase with BP encounter and scroll credit.  Weapons can be leveled anywhere and it takes a matter of minutes for most of them to reach level 10. 

Leveling on any server takes only a small amount of time.  72-144 hours for most people depending on their class, what they do, and how much time they spend in the BG and doing other PvE things. 

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

I too get the urge to go back from time to time, then I check the english speaking european servers, at prime time the numbers are roughly 40! Yes 40 people on at prime time :(

Is it possible for us europeans to buy the american version of the game and play on US-servers now? I know it was troublesome doing this at launch...

I am sorry to hear that :(

I wager you know every one of those 40 players on your server ( I know I did when we played Pendragon)

As for buying American servers, IM afraid I do not know the answer to the question. The problem may lie in the licencing of the game overseas and thats why you cannot play on the american servers.

Good luck and let us know if you can now play on the American servers (which have several hundred to over a thousand at peak

Torrential

• frankyz669frankyz669 Member Posts: 50

If people like the game, and keep coming back then the rumors of DAoC's soon to be death seem greatly exaggerated. 

If you like the game, than play it.  Eventually more peeps will come back to it.

I still think it is the best MMORPG ever made.  Let's see if Mythic can duplicate their effort with WH.

"I have live my life by these nine simple words: It sounded like a good idea at the time."
    --Livingston Taylor

• Windrider30Windrider30 Member Posts: 41

I really enjoyed the game and played it just short before they brought out the first expantion with spell crafting (i was lucky enough to get on during the alpha stage of testing went though beta and down the line) i quiet do to a GM yes a GM stealign my char's name and Myst not dong anything about it (took 200 people with me when i quiet and yes i know it was 200 because my guild left with me lol) the game was pretty good and every time i look im tempted to go back, i did go back once just to see how things were but got a tad bored with it and moved on, now that they have mintars in the game (i cant spell this afternoon lol) i MIGHT just go back just to see the new class lol

• fulmanfufulmanfu Member Posts: 1,523

its still a great game, but i have a hard time playing knowing that im just killing time til DAoC2 comes out.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

DAOC is a great game.My problem has always been the insensativity of Mythic.They don't appreciate the time and expense people invest shaping their characters . They make changes with utter disreguard for how it impacts players.This attitude has driven me away from the game more than once. My wife continues to play...she has a Heretic(and other characters). She curently plays a scout in Molvik(she does not plan on leaving there).

So..I sit on the outside looking in.Trying to find something that promises what I had in DAOC.

• walker68walker68 Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by JohnnyCache

My girlfriend and I returned to the game after a five year absence to see how well Camelot is really doing.  I no longer had my three accounts (sold them years ago), so i started a new one and hit the largest server (cluster) which was Garath.  I started up 2 characters and my girlfriend started 1 (she doens't play as much as i do).  Our toons were Johnnee (armsman), Kytiarra (friar) and Sivvers (wizard).  So, without further ado, my 2cp on the game:
    Gameplay - Pretty much the same as 5 years ago.  I had forgotten about bind points and gravestones, but quickly remembered.  I stuck to the old world areas since i knew them best (left the game just after TOA release) and found it a lot of fun remembering exploits of old.  Once we hit level 8, we headed to our first dungeon:  The Tomb of Mitra
    Like almost all dungeons in DAOC, the repop timer is incredibly fast.  It was almost impossible to move forward having to sit and regenerate endurance after 3 fights.  After a while, we met a cabalist who was able to help us add DPS and move faster.
    Other than the cabalist and a few other players, grouping was minimal in PVE.  Most mobs are soloable as long as you stick to yellow and lower, so groups are only really helpful for dungeons an chatting.  The few groups that i did get into were well lead and resulted in good fun.
    Playing solo as my wizard, it was easy to pick up root / nuking again and leveled very quickly.  Upon hitting 19, i headed to the BG's (you can go to BG's before 19, but not many people there and you get no Realm Points).  Upon my arrival, i found about a dozen hibs defending the Center Keep against about a dozen mids.  Oh, wow, thought I....this game is not dead !.  I quickly joined up with 7 other Albions and we rushed the mids from behind and disrupted thier siege (remember those underhanded tactics?).  Eventually, the mids beat us and the hibs back and took the keep, but it was at least 2 solid hours of exciting gameplay. 
    The siege changes in the game are quite amazing.  Instead of only battering down the door, you have the option to use your catapults to bust holes into the rock wall (and the graphic effects are very sweet).  They have also reduced the size of the scorpion siege engine so that it is quite small.  Siege aiming and control are still a little cumbersome, but they should be...
    Questing -  Quests are easy to start since the NPC's are now marked (they weren't 5 years ago).  Completing the quest, however, isn't always as easy.  The NPC that gives you the quest isn't marked for you to return to him and complete it.  This means a fair amount of quest window scrolling to find the NPC's name that you must return to.  Also, i could not find a way to get an "active quest" window to stay up in my main UI and everytime i reopened my journal, it woudl default to the first quest (resulting in a lot of scrolling and clicking).
    Community - In true fasion, the Albion community was VERY helpful.  The advice channel was more or less for bragging spam, but the newbie guild that you are forced to join upon creating a charcter helped tremendously.  There were even epic level 50 toons in the newbie guild, which i thought was pretty cool.  In all there were a few people with the standard "go back to playing WOW" remarks (its funny how WOW is often used as an insult by the people that also play it), but it was close to bed time so the little fellers were probably getting grumpy...
    Crafting - ugh...im not a fan of crafting, so i did not pick it up during my return.  I was also a bit confused by the necessities of getting good gear from a crafter (spell crafting and stuff), so i did not ask.  Instead, i quested armor peices that helped me upgrade, and since i was not playing on the Frontier, gear wasn't a big factor.
    User Interface and Controls - I only used the default interface, i cannot comment on customization too much.  I will note that you are able to move and resize chat windows and move hot bars and information windows quite easily.  The controls are favorable to WASD, arrow players or mouselookers.  The only thing that the controls left to be desired was the fact that the "target nearest" buttons were a bit flakey and mouse clicking was usually the quickest option.
    Overall - It is hard for me NOT to keep playing this game....but, there is a feeling in the air that the game may just stop one day...without notice.  Its almost like an impending doom that hangs over the city of Camelot that something bad will happen at any minute.  The population is certainly down (most i saw at one time on the servers was just over 1100), but there still a number of people playing.  There were no fewer than 10 frontier keep takes each day i was on, Darkness Falls flipped at least 4 times and albion lost its strength relic.  This is evidence that the game is still alive, but alas...it does have that 'one foot in the grave" smell about it...
    Will i keep playing?  No...i will not.  The game is a GREAT concept, but playing it feels like i am just making the retarded kid next door happy.  You kinda feel sorry for it and wish that it could do better, but you know that it will die soon and there is nothing you can do about it.  The real question is:
    Will any game live up to what this game used to be?...
    probably not, but lets all keep hope alive...
    Johnnee

Ahh the Tomb of Mithra  man that brings back alot of good memories : )

• MaldachMaldach Member Posts: 399

Originally posted by Wow4Lifer

Originally posted by Thelania

Long Live DAOC...

I quit DAOC and will not return until they get rid of artifacts and other such things that completely destroy the game and make it more of a grind than wow. Seriously, who ever heard of leveling weapons? Tha thas got to be the most bogus excuse for content in the history of mmorpgs. Just my opinion, daoc used to be a great game and I loved it but now its too much like lineage II in terms of grind.

Leveling weapons is an old pen and paper mechanic. Not a very good mechanic, but it's been around for a long time.

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by JulianDracos

There is one thing to keep in mind - all games will die. 

That's not necessarily true with MMOs, with boxed games yes, but with MMOs the game can continue to be upgraded to keep up with the times - that is if any major developer would realize this rather than continuing to pump out "new" rehashed games.

• qombiqombi Member UncommonPosts: 1,170

Originally posted by Smartwhois

That's not necessarily true with MMOs, with boxed games yes, but with MMOs the game can continue to be upgraded to keep up with the times - that is if any major developer would realize this rather than continuing to pump out "new" rehashed games.

That's funny I was just thinking the opposite. Single player games are the ones that do not die. You can always go back and relive a single player game. A MMORPG on the other hand ... the developers butcher it after so long into a piece of steaming garbage. You can never go back.

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Originally posted by Smartwhois

While I would agree that MMOGs can certainly have a very long lifespan (10+ years), I disagree that they can live forever, at least in a commercially viable form (I do not count games run at a loss).

Upgrading a game to keep with the times is not as easy as it sounds - upgrades are not enough. And, when it gets to the point where upgrades seem like enough, you actually have a whole new game, making it a moot point.

Sometimes it is futile to improve something which exists, and you simply need a fresh start. New storyline, new world, new graphics, new play mechanics. Upgrades cannot ever approach the freedom of a new project, especially since an existing game cannot alienate its current players.

Besides, it is hard for games to attract new players simply because they are old - marketing relies a lot on newness and hype, things old games do not have. Plus, old players eventually want to move on to a new concept and a fresh start where everyone starts off level. When a hot new game comes out, and builds momentum, it also tends to leech players from old games. Look what happened to EverQuest when WoW came out.

Anyway, WoW is by far the most successful MMORPG there is now, but I bet its time will come, one day. Oh, probably not for many, many years, but one day it will hand the reigns off to WoW 2, if Blizzard does indeed want to keep the brand alive, which I am sure it will. But, even before that, some other game, or combination of games, will come and steal its players away, just like it did to EQ.

To the topic at hand, I am considering firing DAoC back up since I have not played any MMORPGs for a while now and am getting the itch - your review of your time back inspired me. I will definitely be getting WAR at release but since that is ~6 months away (if they do not delay again!) I need a holdover.

• ArawonArawon Member Posts: 1,108

I too went back and made an animist( a class i have played extensively before). A class that Mythic has repeatedly gutted since their inception. Archers run a close second for incessant nerfs by Mythic. The animist class has been hacked to pieces and is completly innefective. The class is the slowest casting  class..... its pets have limited range are easily killed and don't hit hard enough to kill any player. NPC that don't react. no problem.I am struggeling to not leave the game after  waisting my time on this hacked to pieces class.

Thinking about comming back........you may wish you had not.

• SmartwhoisSmartwhois Member Posts: 58

An MMO could go forever as long as they kept the technology fresh and the marketing targeted.  It's a service more than anything else.  So, far no MMO developer has done this, most likely because they have not planned on it, and as a result they have always fallen behind.  But make no mistake about it, an MMO is not like an unchanging movie, board game, or most other types of entertainment.  Because an MMO is malleable, it can be kept current, updated and interesting - once again, trouble is nobody has realized this yet.  MMOs are still mostly being sold as games rather than services....