Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resubscribed after 4 months - Impressions

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Read your first post mate.

You say you are glad he quit and then make your classic "the game is to hard for you" comments and some offhanded remark about other easier games.  Not to mention you are already judging him on posts that you expect him to make.  29 posts spread over 2 years most of which he talks about enjoying one game of another. 

I don't need to go any further than that.

Have a good weekend.

• truenorthbgtruenorthbg Member Posts: 1,453

Originally posted by Daffid011

No thanks. I wrote it for you to read.

I honestly do not understand most of your posts, and that might be my fault; but I doubt it.  My sense is you are just trying to argue with me. 

POINT 1

OP tends to 1) buy games, 2) get frustrated, 3) quit, and 4) post about it.

1. He did the same thing with TR
    2. He did the same thing with Vanguard
    3. He has left EQ 2 and WoW*
    4. and he is reactivating LotR*
    5. He seems to get easily frustrated and posts about quitting games. I suggest he take a break from gaming, and I believe that is a good suggestion.

*I suspect the reasons for quitting EQ 2, WoW, and LotR are for the same reasons why he quit TR and Vanguard:  too easily frustrated. 

POINT 2

Even though the title says "review," it is not a review.  It is a "Dear Diary, I am mad. I quit" at best.**  Compare: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/157317

**I do not think anyone has even bothered to question, dispute, or disagree with that.

Daffid, you seem to really want the last word.  So, you can have it. I will not post a response to any of your posts in this thread again.  Please see Point 1 and Point 2 above for clarifications.

-----
    WoW and fast food = commercial successes.
    I neither play WoW nor eat fast food.

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by truenorthbg

POINT 2
    Even though the title says "review," it is not a review.  It is a "Dear Diary, I am mad. I quit" at best.**  Compare: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/157317

So wait....you're comparing the OP's post to one of your own? That's pretty cheesy, don't you think? It comes across like you're just bitching about him posting something in a way you don't agree with, so that somehow makes his opinion invalid.

As for the topic at hand, does it really matter why he quit again? It's his choice, he's entitled to it, and that's the end of it. Why go to all the trouble of trolling through his posting history to somehow discredit him, unless his opinion of VG threatens you somehow? It makes no sense.

Just look at this thread. The OP comes in, states his opinion about VG, and is immediately flamed as an immature baby who gets easily frustrated and who's too stupid to handle a challenging game, or an exploiter, or an imbecile who can't just move a few yards to the left, as if someone who hasn't played the game in four months was somehow supposed to miraculously know that off the top of his head. It's ridiculous the way he's been treated.

People are entitled to their own opinions about games-- good, bad, or in between. To flame this guy so badly for speaking his mind is just stupid, IMO.

Originally posted by Lidane

POINT 2

That's pretty cheesy, don't you think?

Do I think it is cheesy?  Absolutely not.

My review is an example and  representative of what a review is and ought to be.  I invite you to dispute that, and you are entitled to your opinion.

-----

My review is an example and  representative of what a review is and ought to be.

No,  your review is your standard of what something should be. It's not a universal standard.

Expecting another poster to adhere to your standards for his views on a game is childish on your part. You're crying because he wrote something in a different way than you did, and that's ridiculous. He presented his opinion on Vanguard, which is the purpose of this forum. Expecting him to follow your posting rules is just asinine.

My review is an example and  representative of what a review is and ought to be.

No,  your review is your standard of what something should be. It's not a universal standard.

NO.  There are standards that all reviewers ought to adhere to. 

If you are going to write a "review" in the title, it must be something more than a "Dear Diary, this is why I quit TR; this is why I quit Vanguard." That is not a review.

[I am on the phone trying to type this. lol.]

-----

Oh please. You're trying to apply journalistic standards of how a professional paid reviewer does their job to a public message board? That's just grasping for straws.

You're just looking for anything you can find on this guy to discredit him and his opinion. Hence the whining about his post not being like one of your own posts, and you trolling through his posting history to dig up anything you can to throw at him.

Why not just let the guy have his own opinion on Vanguard? This is a public board. None of us are getting paid to write for it, and none of us should be held to professional grade standards when we post here. That's just ridiculous. If someone doesn't like your game, or posts something you don't like, deal with it like a man instead of whining about their writing style or their post history.  Doing otherwise just makes you look like you can't handle criticism of your game.

Oh please. You're trying to apply journalistic standards of how a professional paid reviewer does their job to a public message board? That's just grasping for straws.

I am not a professional paid reviewer.

And, "oh, please" you do not need to take a class in journalism to write a fair review.

As an aside, I people that say, "Oh! You are so successful; it is because you are so educated."

People can achieve anything that they want through 1) persistence and 2) an ability to communicate.

-----

I never suggested that you were. But you're trying to apply standards to a public message board that are unrealistic.

And, "oh, please" you do not need to take a class in journalism to write a fair review.

The only reviews that have to be fair are the ones that people get paid to write for magazines, blogs, or newspapers. Expecting Joe Q. Gamer to adhere to those same standards on a public message board is ridiculous, and is just a fanboy tactic to discredit opinions they don't like.

I never suggested that you were. But you're trying to apply standards to a public message board that are unrealistic.

You are missing the point:

You do not have to be a professionally paid writer to a fair review. [and, honestly, you should not presuppose this for many and varied reasons.]

"Dear Diary, I am frustrated.  I quit."  That is not a review.

-----

Of course it's not. It's the guy's opinion. And he's entitled to it as much as the next guy is entitled to write about how much he loves Vanguard.

Of course it's not.

At least you are getting the point, somewhat.

-----

Thanks for insulting my intelligence. No, really. I appreciate the condescension.

I know what you're saying. But the OP was never presented as a review. They were just the guy's impressions after having been away for a few months. That's it.

You're the one who got your panties in a twist from the start and did everything you could to discredit his opinion, like insulting him and trolling through his posting history. All he ever did was present his viewpoint. He didn't call it a review. You're the one who decided it was one, not him. And you're the one still bitching about the fact that he wrote his opinion in a way you didn't like. And it makes you look really immature in comparison.

So he wrote something about Vanguard you don't like. Big deal. He never called it a review. You just decided on your own that it was one, and you've gone balls out trying to prove that it's not one, and why, when it was never presented as a review to begin with. Your efforts just come across as petty and nitpicky when you never had a reason to get so bent out of shape at all.

Thanks for insulting my intelligence. No, really. I appreciate the condescension.

If you interpret that as an insult, you ought to avoid a number of professions:  1) management, 2) law, 3) anything in which your words (written or spoken) are subject to a) criticism, b) evaluation, c) ridicule.

I suspect you want the last word.  You can have it.

-----

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

Wow, this post actually made me want to respond for once.  (check my post count).  I rarely write anything, but this is ridiculous.  First off, there is no need for Vanguard fans to jump in with sword and shield and attack right away.  Secondly, how dare you people judge this guy and say how he is easily frustrated and make him sound stupid.  Maybe it is true that he is using means of writing as a way to vent, but he didn't ramble out garbage.  To the person trying to act "smart" giving his definitions and numbering his answers, I'm sorry but if you have nothing better to do on a Friday night then to come here and bash someone for no reason you are a sad person.  As far as bugs are concerned, being in software I understand bugs that happen.  Especially embarassing bugs...but the scary part is I can recall bugged terrain in the same location when I played Vangurd at release!  I'm not saying it's a buggy game (because I left a while ago), but I can understand some frustration.  I remember the "invisible wall" in that same exact area where my guild had to work around long Corpse Runs because someone would always get stuck in the invisible wall because of their character height or something similar.  In any event, back on topic...leave the OP alone, and go back to your 40+ hours of Vanguard this week (which is officially more than a full time job).

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

Originally posted by Excalaber2

Wow, this post actually made me want to respond for once.  (check my post count).  I rarely write anything, but this is ridiculous.  First off, there is no need for Vanguard fans to jump in with sword and shield and attack right away.  Secondly, how dare you people judge this guy and say how he is easily frustrated and make him sound stupid.  Maybe it is true that he is using means of writing as a way to vent, but he didn't ramble out garbage.  To the person trying to act "smart" giving his definitions and numbering his answers, I'm sorry but if you have nothing better to do on a Friday night then to come here and bash someone for no reason you are a sad person.  As far as bugs are concerned, being in software I understand bugs that happen.  Especially embarassing bugs...but the scary part is I can recall bugged terrain in the same location when I played Vangurd at release!  I'm not saying it's a buggy game (because I left a while ago), but I can understand some frustration.  I remember the "invisible wall" in that same exact area where my guild had to work around long Corpse Runs because someone would always get stuck in the invisible wall because of their character height or something similar.  In any event, back on topic...leave the OP alone, and go back to your 40+ hours of Vanguard this week (which is officially more than a full time job).
    I am not bashing anyone, but you are bashing me above [highlighted in red].

The irony is that after I submit this post, I am going out with flesh and blood friends.

And, oh, my, if i had 40 hours to game  a week: 

-----

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Originally posted by Excalaber2

To the person trying to act "smart" giving his definitions and numbering his answers, I'm sorry but if you have nothing better to do on a Friday night then to come here and bash someone for no reason you are a sad person.  
    In any event, back on topic...leave the OP alone, and go back to your 40+ hours of Vanguard this week (which is officially more than a full time job).
    You got nothing better to do on a friday night than to finally post? Who cares?! And your words.. how dare you judge a person if they want to play vanguard 40+ hrs a week. :)

Off to enjoy some "buggy" Vanguard!....

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• PhosPhos Member Posts: 455

I would have quit too. That sucks.

If it were some other game I might not have given it much thought. But since this was the kind of problem VG is kinda famous for, I understand it easily destroying anyone's faith and willingness to give the game any kind of benefit of the doubt or second chance (again).

- Phos

imageAAH! A troll fire! Quick, pour some Kool-Aid on it!!!

No thanks. I wrote it for you to read.

I honestly do not understand most of your posts, and that might be my fault; but I doubt it.  My sense is you are just trying to argue with me. 

POINT 1

OP tends to 1) buy games, 2) get frustrated, 3) quit, and 4) post about it.

1. He did the same thing with TR
    2. He did the same thing with Vanguard
    3. He has left EQ 2 and WoW*
    4. and he is reactivating LotR*
    5. He seems to get easily frustrated and posts about quitting games. I suggest he take a break from gaming, and I believe that is a good suggestion.

*I suspect the reasons for quitting EQ 2, WoW, and LotR are for the same reasons why he quit TR and Vanguard:  too easily frustrated. 

POINT 2

**I do not think anyone has even bothered to question, dispute, or disagree with that.

Daffid, you seem to really want the last word.  So, you can have it. I will not post a response to any of your posts in this thread again.  Please see Point 1 and Point 2 above for clarifications.

I'll try real hard this time sorry for the length.

Your first post is plain and simple a character assassination that completely ignores all the facts he posted.  Telling someone you are glad they quit and that Vanguard is somehow to hard for them is ridiculous.  (where have I heard that before.....)

As for Point 1:

He left Tabula Rasa because he found the game boring, not "difficult".   Yet you insist on twisting into him not being able to handle the difficulty by reading all of two lines in complaint about TR.  Believe it or not people can get an idea of not liking a game after a very short play span. 

He has played a bunch of games as have thousands of other people here, does that make their opinions invalid or them easily frustrated?  The fact is he didn't make any "I QUIT" posts about any of those games.  Not one.  Yet in you somehow know all the reasons he quit, because you have suspicions?

The only game he admitted frustrates him is Vanguard and lets be honest.  Easily over 100k people quit due to the performance FRUSTRATIONS of the game.  Yet you single this guy out as if he is somehow easily frustrated despite all the reasons he posted.  Easily frustrated people don't give a game 3 chances. Also you ignore all the parts about his Crashes to desktop, stuck in geometry, falling through the world? 

As for Point 2:

He never said revue.  He is stating that his impression upon returning is that the game hasn't changed enough to warrent playing?  Why do you keep twisting it as if he is writing some all encompassing revue of what the game is like?

It is a post in frustration, but who can blame him with his past EXPERIENCE with performance problems?  How did you dispute his experiences?  You told him that he can't handle "challenge" as if bugs are somehow special game tasks put in to entertain.....

If you want to give him some pushback for making an angry post, then go for it.   Just don't go making things up about him and putting words in his mouth.  At least try to talk about his issues and not some assumptions you have invented.

Why do you keep twisting it as if he is writing some all encompassing revue of what the game is like?

Simple-- because he doesn't have an actual argument, or anything worthwhile to contribute to the topic at hand. Instead, he'd rather just attack someone for having an opinion that he didn't like, and for writing it in a way that doesn't fit his preferences or reaffirm his views.

It's a typical fanboy defense mechanism-- attack the messenger instead of the message. Notice how he went straight for the OP personally from the start, making all sorts of assumptions about his playstyle and character rather than talking about the substance of the post? That's how it always works with diehard fans. Criticism is a threat, so they lash out.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

Ah the term fanboy, used more than prescription drugs on these forums. Now all we need is someone to quote some wikipedia sources and this post will be complete.

That said... I don't care one way or another what the OP likes or dislikes about the game. I enjoy the game and will continue to play till I find something else more fun. Anyone that decides to play or not to play this game based off these forums needs help.

2-3 weeks ago when I decided to give VG another try it wasn't because of these forums, it was because I was curious and wanted to try something new. I enjoyed it and here I am. If I didn't I wouldn't be over here telling how much I thought it sucked. I would have moved on, found another game to try and so on.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

I am not surprised to see Lidane and Daffid still talking about me.  I do not think you two are out in left field on this issue; I do not even think you are in city where the game is.

As I suspected, it is just about Daffid and Lidane getting the last word in. 

(Please see post #28 and #40.) 

I read something about a "fanboy mechanism."  Calling someone a "fanboy" is a troll mechanism to distract from the issues at hand.  I might not be a "fanboy," but I am confident I know who the troll is.

As I said to Daffid and Lidane, I will no longer reply to their messages directly because all they really want to do is just argue with me. 

-----

Originally posted by Sevenwind

I don't care one way or another what the OP likes or dislikes about the game.

I don't either, since that's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I enjoy the game and will continue to play till I find something else more fun.

Good for you. That's how it should be.

Anyone that decides to play or not to play this game based off these forums needs help.

Exactly. Which is what makes the attacks against the OP that much more childish.

People can and should decide for themselves if they want to play Vanguard, and they shouldn't have to validate their opinions either way. That means that no matter how they write their opinion, or how they present it, it's still valid, whether positive OR negative.

2-3 weeks ago when I decided to give VG another try it wasn't because of these forums, it was because I was curious and wanted to try something new. I enjoyed it and here I am.

Again, good for you. Enjoy the game. And I mean that sincerely.

If I didn't I wouldn't be over here telling how much I thought it sucked. I would have moved on, found another game to try and so on.

Ah, but these are public forums. All opinions are presented here-- positive, negative, and somewhere in between. The OP chose to write down his impressions, since that was his right. And he immediately and unreasonably got attacked for that, which is what bothers me.

It's not about VG itself. I don't have an opinion on the current game, since I really can't. The game's changed too much since I last played for me to honestly critique it now, so I don't. If people are playing it and enjoying it, good for them. I truly do wish them well. Have fun. It's all good, IMO.

For me, it was the way the OP was treated in this thread that bugs me. I can't believe that some people are still so determined to silence anyone with a different opinion on Vanguard, least of all on a *public* forum where, like it or not, ALL opinions are going to exist. So someone didn't like the game? Big deal. Suck it up and deal with that like a mature adult instead of trolling through their posting history and attacking them personally to try and discredit them. That's just immature and out of line.

How to Stop a Failed Post;  Or, Alternatively, a Troll.

1.        Someone [Lidane] calls you a "fanboy."

Enough said.

Me:  Be honest, be brave but be fair.  Do not give an inch. www.youtube.com/watch

Lindane:  "You are a fanboy!  You are grasping for straws!  Your mechanisms…."*

*I do not know how many of you have attended politically active colleges or universities, but remember that student who never kissed a boy/girl with a persecution complex?  The person is their own worst persecutor:  their 1) ignorance, 2) misguided energy, 3) misdirected passion, and 4) anger. 

I swear if this were not more fun for me than you, I would not be able to do it.

-----

I think I rightly pointed out your original post as nothing but a factless personal attack on the original poster, because they took a negative opinion on a game you enjoy. 

You have since failed to back up your 'knowledge' of this posters history with any facts:

-He gives up easily and games are to complex for him. (links?)

-He starts all these "dear diary" posts complaining about games (again links please?)

Either put up some substance to back your issues, admit you were wrong or I guess you could continue to play victim of personal attacks.  Which I find so ironic considering the nature of your first post.

All I ask is for you to back up your post.  How hard is that for you to do?

This discussion has been closed.